ANNCast: NERVous Breakdown with Carl Horn and Evamonkey

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

ANNCast: NERVous Breakdown with Carl Horn and Evamonkey

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Discuss, as we celebrate Thanksgiving with the turkey on the table, beer in the cooler, the football games on TV, and all's right with the world (I hope).

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2010-11-24

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:53 pm

And last week they had a two-hour show about interpreting Evangelion? Should I listen to that or will it be too painful?

EDIT: Oh, he's referring to a two-hour argument with V. That's... that's something. I may leave it on at some point while animating.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:38 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:And last week they had a two-hour show about interpreting Evangelion? Should I listen to that or will it be too painful?

EDIT: Oh, he's referring to a two-hour argument with V. That's... that's something. I may leave it on at some point while animating.

Now, those making commentaries on the podcast... Let's say they now know who's credible, and whom to listen to.

I can only applaud. :)

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:05 am

I have to say that EM did a damn fine job on the show. But I wonder why he didn't tell us? Did he want to surprise us?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:37 am

^he might be on vacation in parts unknown, a lot of people have taken off this week

fascinating, neat stuff though, I keep forgetting about the Aum Shinrikyo terroristic business circa 1995 and how that may have influenced Eva

I would like to hear more on the back story on the business of "V" versus EM and how the hell "V" has gained enough notoriety to even be mentioned
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:48 am

He told the mods. Mod status means I'm better than you!

Aaron and V's bitchfights have gained a lot of notoriety.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:48 am

it just amuses me one of the bigger knockdown drag-out flame wars on this forum have gained any notoriety IRL or at least elsewhere on the web

I mean, it's not like this forum is akin to eBaum's World or Something Awful (though I have always considered this place a relatively SFW version of 4chan)

what next, will MAGGOTMASTER, the Mayo kid, that jerk from Ireland, ran1 or other banned, controversial figures around here find notoriety too?

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:59 am

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:it just amuses me one of the bigger knockdown drag-out flame wars on this forum have gained any notoriety IRL or at least elsewhere on the web

I mean, it's not like this forum is akin to eBaum's World or Something Awful (though I have always considered this place a relatively SFW version of 4chan)

what next, will MAGGOTMASTER, the Mayo kid, that jerk from Ireland, ran1 or other banned, controversial figures around here find notoriety too?

That's really not a nice way to talk about Aaron...

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:03 am

This is the first ANNcast I have listened to.
Voluntary Illusion.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:58 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:That's really not a nice way to talk about Aaron...
what do you mean by that?

I was not trying to be derogatory or negative towards him, I was complimenting him, he's a guy on the internet with some popularity and has very few people out there bagging on him

you can't exactly say that about the Eric Baumans and Mark Zuckerbergs of the intrawebz

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:35 am

I really enjoyed this podcast. Thank you very much Aaron and Carl for participating in it.
Voluntary Illusion.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:16 am

I would like to hear more on the back story on the business of "V" versus EM and how the hell "V" has gained enough notoriety to even be mentioned

As i understand it from a newcomers viewpoint (so feel free to shoot me down on this) Mr V has his own interpretation of the show and wants to enforce that interpretation on everyone else.

Whereas Carl Horn and Aaron say early on in that podcast 'this is MY interpretation' of elements of the show, Mr V says 'this is THE interpretation'.

Present opinion as fact and you are doomed from the get-go. And hes just so...intense...about it.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:07 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I have to say that EM did a damn fine job on the show. But I wonder why he didn't tell us? Did he want to surprise us?

It just kind of came together rapidly, and I had a busy weekend leading up to the recording of the show, so I didn't have a ton of time to be like "ZOMG YOU GUYS GUESS WHAT". The only reason to tell you guys in advance would be so you guys could tweet questions for the show in advance, but oh well, there were plenty of good standard questions to respond to.

I really enjoyed the opportunity, so I'm hoping we gain some good new blood as a result. It also doesn't hurt my ego one bit.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Just out of curiosity, how do you get that kind of audio quality on an interview like this? Carl was clearly on the phone.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:17 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Just out of curiosity, how do you get that kind of audio quality on an interview like this? Carl was clearly on the phone.

Dude, don't ask me. I have an old $10 Logitech mic with a stereo mini connection. I take it, sit it on a folded shirt to reduce vibrations from the desk, and then I put a sock over the actual mic as a ghetto wind screen to dampen any percussive speech or ambient vibrations in the air. And then I aim it at myself diagonally so I'm not actually talking directly into it. No fancy equipment, just doing the best with what I've got.

I have no idea how Carl was hooked in. But I imagine that Zac and I sound like we're in the same room, whereas Carl clearly is not.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:41 pm

Pleasant chat. It was nice to hear Carl's opinion on the Rebuild movies; sometimes I forget he's still within the fanbase. Also didn't know about that Dark Horse email; I might send something to that address one of these days.
Last edited by C.A.P. on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:09 pm

I'm listening to this right now, so far it's really really good. I'm enjoying Carl's religion speak right now and the whole military stuff too.

But I'm kind of baffled by the fact V, the person who talks absolute nonsense on ANN's forum/comments was actually in a podcast and once was a member of this forum until he was banned, learn something everyday.

I may have to go and listen to the previous podcast to hear that 2 hour argument.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:23 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:But I'm kind of baffled by the fact V, the person who talks absolute nonsense on ANN's forum/comments was actually in a podcast and once was a member of this forum until he was banned, learn something everyday.

Yeah, I know. I would like to make the distinction that V wasn't a guest on ANNCast. He was a call-in. And at the exact point where it went from the topic at hand to V's typical nonsense, it got pruned and relegated to a bonus file.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:41 pm

Can someone specify about V? I went to his site and quickly got bored. I want to know the reason V is treated like Voldemort.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:58 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Can someone specify about V? I went to his site and quickly got bored. I want to know the reason V is treated like Voldemort.

TLDR:

V got banned from here because he did not work well with others, so much so that he was banned. A while later, he started his "ReVolution" as "a popular-disgust revolt against the incompetent, elitist weirdos who currently run Eva fandom". He's got a grudge against us, and he's determined to change Evangelion fandom to suit his tastes.

The problem with this is that a lot of people think he's a clown, and he's insulted a lot of people, and left a lot of discord in his wake.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”