Mari's True Identity

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Stop derailing my very serious thread! :hmph:
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Limelight
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Limelight » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:38 pm

I realize that this will be thread necro-ing but I recently just found out about this community and have (since watching Rebuild 2.22) had this suspicion I really felt I had to share about Mari's identity.

Now I'm not sure if this had been presented yet as there are quite a lot of threads to skim through but what do you guys think of Mari simply being Anno's way of putting the Evangelion extra canonical characters Mayumi Yamagashi and Mana Kirishima into Rebuild?

+
=

What that means in terms of relationships with the other characters, I've no real clue. I guess all I'm really doing is giving the theorycrafters more material to work with... if it this has not been brought up yet anyway
she who throws dirt is losing ground

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:26 am

View Original PostLimelight wrote:Now I'm not sure if this had been presented yet as there are quite a lot of threads to skim through but what do you guys think of Mari simply being Anno's way of putting the Evangelion extra canonical characters Mayumi Yamagashi and Mana Kirishima into Rebuild?
What would the point of that be?
Unless she's going to die particularly horribly, I'm not interested.

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:48 am

View Original PostLimelight wrote:Now I'm not sure if this had been presented yet as there are quite a lot of threads to skim through but what do you guys think of Mari simply being Anno's way of putting the Evangelion extra canonical characters Mayumi Yamagashi and Mana Kirishima into Rebuild?

How interesting ~ !

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:12 am

View Original PostLimelight wrote:the Evangelion extra canonical characters Mayumi Yamagashi and Mana Kirishima
Not forgetting Marie Vincennes, the new American pilot in the Evangelion pencil and paper RPG.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:27 am

One day, we will have a new Evangelion character whose name does not start with the letter M.

Today is not that day.

Limelight
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Limelight » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:43 am

What would the point of that be?
Unless she's going to die particularly horribly, I'm not interested.

to quote Misato: "Service, service." ?

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Not forgetting Marie Vincennes, the new American pilot in the Evangelion pencil and paper RPG.

going by the theory stated above (to include non-canon gals), she got her first name from that one? eh... it's starting to make more like that's the case to me. thanks for the info

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:22 am

View Original PostLimelight wrote:to quote Misato: "Service, service." ?

I'll admit that the resemblance is definitely there, and since Mari seems like much more of a conventional contemporary anime character than the Evangelion cast, it's interesting to think of her as a hybrid of two cash cow harem game characters. The question is, where does Anno take the character next? If that's what she is, I can't see her path going anywhere other than, "watch her personality get picked apart before she dies in a horrible manner", and we've gotten enough of that from the main cast in NGE.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:25 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Not forgetting Marie Vincennes, the new American pilot in the Evangelion pencil and paper RPG.

Hey now, Marie Vincennes was an awesome character. She doesn't deserve to be lumped with those....other two...
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:50 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:43 pm

O_o Something about that reminds me of Light Yagami... Or Lelouch... :rei_dance:
"When the going gets rough, the fighters fight harder." -KSL

"Perpetual change is stasis." -KSL

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:10 pm

One day, we will have a new Evangelion character whose name does not start with the letter M.

Holy crap your right!

Anyway, I've got a question for the Mari fans, if you like her so much why don't you Mari her?

Sorry I had to say that, next time I will be sure to Asuka a legitimate question about this important subject. I assure you I will Reimember this promise!

Something about that reminds me of Light Yagami... Or Lelouch.

As fun as it would be to have Mari turn out to be bironic hero of some sort I doubt it will happen. She seemed to be legitimately nice for the most part in rebuild 2.0, but then again we really don't know her character well enough to say anything for sure yet..
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:44 pm

*Slaps Defectron really, really hard. As he deserves.*
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:44 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:if you like her so much why don't you Mari her?

BADUM TSSSH

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Sorry I had to say that, next time I will be sure to Asuka a legitimate question about this important subject.

BADUM--actually fuck it, i'm gonna go get smashed until i forget this ever happened

View Original PostDefectron wrote:I assure you I will Reimember this promise!

[s]Shinji[/s] Jesus wept.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:42 am

One time Hideaki Anno appeared to me in a dream holding a flaming pie and told me my band would be the Beech Boys with an e.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:46 am

TOPIC

Limelight
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Limelight » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:22 am

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Hey now, Marie Vincennes was an awesome character.

I think my googlefu has depreciated and I may need retraining from my sifu since I can't find anything about Marie Vincennes other than her name and that a person with her name exists. haha
Can you guys help point me in the right direction?

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:She doesn't deserve to be lumped with those....other two...

Lumping Marie Vincennes with Mana and Mayumi as characters?

I'm just saying that perhaps Mari Makinami was created by taking bits and pieces from each of the non-canoneers such as the glasses + hair length from Mayumi, hair color from mana and taken the name and half of her (correct me here if I'm wrong as I know next to nothing about Vincennes) nationality from Marie Vincennes.

Makinami's personality was then created by Rebuild's staff from scratch.

That last part of course is just me being presumptuous as we have to wait for what the crew of Rebuild will show us in the next movies. For all we know, Mari might have a multiple personality disorder or something and exhibit each of their characters.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:19 pm

View Original PostLimelight wrote:Can you guys help point me in the right direction?
Well, it would help if I got her name right.

It's Maria Vincennes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Limelight
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Limelight » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:54 am

well now this is just embarrassing. that's the page i got mana and mayumi's pics from. how in the world did i miss reading maria's entry?

ah well... thanks

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”