Eva 02 Blood Color Change

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ryukin75
Embryo

Angel Blood

•      
  •      

Postby Ryukin75 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:09 pm

I though it was red now for the sake of consistency and mankind is the final angel and our blood is red, yes?

TheThirdChild
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheThirdChild » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:45 am

You can get away with more in films due to age restrictions. So that means more red blood and more of Rei's nipples. :lol:

I seem to rember that after Leliel fight, the guys at TV Tokyo thought that, maybe they should put it on a little later, and I though the pattern blue thing was a refference to a film that Anno liked. :headscratch:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:57 pm

But EoE was a film, too.

TheThirdChild
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheThirdChild » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:24 pm

Which is why Rei spends 2 minutes of the film clothed and the other 90 minutes butt naked. Not to mention the blood oceans, the more visable strangulation scenes and Shinji's 'session' with Asuka.
Don't know if I should include Unit 02's mutilation as well.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:33 pm

Eva-02's blood was blue in EoE. Thus, I don't think the change in blood color has to do with it being a film.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:51 pm

But changing the blood color in EoE would have just been inconsistent. And, let's face it, if it was different, we'd have long tried to fan-wank why it changed. The censorship theory really only applies to Rebuild, because it's a remake. EoE, while a film, still continued directly from the TV series and a change in details would have been jarring.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

TheThirdChild
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheThirdChild » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:52 pm

It's because it's continuing on from the series, to keep the continuity. Rebuild is a completely different kettle of fish. He’s taking what he liked from the series and putting it into the new films, making it into something new.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:58 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:But changing the blood color in EoE would have just been inconsistent. And, let's face it, if it was different, we'd have long tried to fan-wank why it changed. The censorship theory really only applies to Rebuild, because it's a remake. EoE, while a film, still continued directly from the TV series and a change in details would have been jarring.

EVA-02 itself was slightly changed in the design for EoE while keeping the blue blood (and for me the EoE version was pure love not that awkwardly tall and thin thing from the Rebuild). Of course a redesign would be noticed less easily of a change in the blood colour so you could still have a point.
The only reason beyond the change that I can think about is that they've fallen in love with red blood going everywhere and EVAs cannot be exception.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:25 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:EVA-02 itself was slightly changed in the design for EoE while keeping the blue blood (and for me the EoE version was pure love not that awkwardly tall and thin thing from the Rebuild).

While I agree about Rebuild Evas...EoE Unit 02? Seriously? Beautifully animated, Yoshinari and all, but DAT HEAD is like twice the size it should be and the pylons are so tiny it's a wonder the needlegun fits inside.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Well as they "de gustibus non est disputandum" anyway I've always liked it more, the proportions are more "human" (especially the legs are shorter, EVAs in the TV series or the Rebuild have legs simply way too long) and the posture more "natural" than any other version; in the end the strong point of an EVA is resembling human beings, right?
Also I never liked those pylons they are kinda out of place and they draw the attention away from the main body.
Specification about the 02 one thing that I like more in EoE compared to the TV series (or the Rebuild) is the head design; it doesn't thave that terrible "horn" but the upper part is more prominent balancing its long chin; the eyes placed inside those cavities (in the TV series) were kinda hypnotic, you start watching the cavities and then you'll look the eyes and then you'll get bored and you won't notice the rest of the design.
But that's just my opinion.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:11 am

View Original PostTheThirdChild wrote:I seem to rember that after Leliel fight, the guys at TV Tokyo thought that, maybe they should put it on a little later, and I though the pattern blue thing was a refference to a film that Anno liked. :headscratch:

I believe the Platinum commentary says that it and blue blood were a reference to Blue Christmas

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:09 am

Haha! I was surprised nobody brought up the rebuild sequel theory about NME EVA02 being a reconstructed EOE harpy, which all notibly had red blood. Then again I actually just reckon it's more for aesthetic value.
I'm quite alright; quite fit
Omniscient Council Of Vagueness: SEELE

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:52 pm

During instrumentality, Eva 02 wished itself back.

In other words.

THE HAX.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Hoshikawa-kun
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hoshikawa-kun » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:41 pm

1) I have a couple of interpretations.
Biological interpretation: All of the red-bleeding Evas are connected to Lilith. Unit-01 was grown from Lilith, and bleeds red because it is not related to Adam; Unit-00 makes less sense because it was derived from Adam, but the red it bleeds is a visual connection to Rei being Lilith. 02 has no such connection. I have no explanation for 03, so the other option is hemocyanin.

Social interpretation: Asuka is the "odd one out" in the pilot cast, so 02 being the only one to bleed blue corresponds to her being cut off from the viewpoint character, Shinji(accordingly, Touji's Eva bleeds red and he is Shinji's best friend, and Rei's bleeds red because of her connection to Shinji as a close friend and biological sister/mother.) Note that when Eva-02 is under Kaworu's control it doesn't bleed despite being stabbed in the throat, because Shinji is still strongly connected to Kaworu.

2) Anno is an enormous sci-fi fan. The Angel's blood typing is a reference to the 1978 Japanese sci-fi film "Blue Christmas"(AKA Blood Type: Blue) of which he is a fan. Similarly, Ireul's infection in episode 13 is basically The Andromeda Strain, but less boring.

3) IIRC, all the Angels and Evas bleed red in NME. NME is a new continuity, and red is a color symbolic of the post-2I world. While there's probably some in-universe explanation, the primary reasoning is symbolism; in the world before Second Impact, things were blue. Now they are red, a color associated with bloodshed, loss and most of all war.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”