The manga of Evangelion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Jedi_Master
Embryo

The manga of Evangelion

Postby Jedi_Master » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:51 pm

I'm a newbie, so my apologies if this topic has already been posted.

The manga adaptation of Eva is now up to volume 11. If you read it, why and if not, why not?

Did you read Angelic Days? Why/why not?

Will you read the upcoming graphic novel, Sinji Ikari Raising Project? Why/why not?

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Re: The manga of Evangelion

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:04 pm

Jedi_Master wrote:The manga adaptation of Eva is now up to volume 11. If you read it, why and if not, why not?

I have yet to read the Manga adaption.

Jedi_Master wrote:Did you read Angelic Days? Why/why not?

Yes. After hearing there was a manga adaption based on the alternate reality scene in episode 26 I was very interested in reading it.

Jedi_Master wrote:Will you read the upcoming graphic novel, Sinji Ikari Raising Project? Why/why not?

I've heard of it.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Jedi_Master
Embryo

Postby Jedi_Master » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:07 pm

I'll start it off. I'm new to Eva, saw it for the first time last month and I'm hooked. I've been devouring any information I can find on it and thought the manga would be a good place to start.

I realize some may not view the manga as cannon because it doesn't match the series in many places. However, I found it provided some fascinating insights into the characters.

Kaji's background was never fully explored in the series. Why he was so cavalier about the deadly matters he was getting into, knowing the possible consequence could be his death? Good background story, and makes him much more of a sympathetic character and not just a horndog.

Asuka nearly bares it all (literally) with Kaji in the manga, as opposed to her weak flirtations with him on the naval fleet carrier that was transporting Eva Unit 02 in the DVD. I thought the manga gave her character a deeper emotional base.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:16 pm

Here's a preexisting (and pretty recent) thread on the whole "what's your thoughts on Sadamoto's manga?" thing.

This thread for "Angelic Days" should do the trick.

Not so sure about this one for ISIK, though...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:23 pm

I don't mean to keep this going, but lookatme.png doesn't seem like
Jedi_Master wrote:weak flirtations
to me.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:54 pm

I actually like the manga better than the show. The art seems better, and the arrangement of the panels and their contents do a really good job of forcing you to focus on specific characters, expressions, gestures, and events. Also, Rei (2) seems a LOT more human in the manga, which gives a much more satisfying experience.
Gamer_2k4

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:06 pm

This thread is probably slated to largely replicate the function of the one I provided a link to, so I think I'll just close this...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”