Question about manga

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Question about manga

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:56 pm

How close is the manga to the show? is it a retelling or a interpation of the story by the artist writing it? And how involed is anno in the mangas story. And how involed is the artist guy in the Story of the show (not the art part)? Just want to know if they're the same thing or two seprate storys using the same characters and themes.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:25 pm

The story for the manga is completely written by the character designer of the show - Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. Anno is not involved, but gave his full blessin to Sadamoto to give his own interpretation of the story.

The basic plot is the same, but there are some very interesting (read 'blasphemous' if you're a purist) changes. Shinji is the same basic character, but is less of a 'wimpy' person, and more angry. There is a lot less focus on Asuka. A hint of romance developes between Shinji and Rei. Kaji has a backstory. Etc.

Hope that's a good enough explanation ^_^
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Indigo Arcangel wrote:The story for the manga is completely written by the character designer of the show - Yoshiyuki Sadamoto.

I wouldn't say "completely". Sadamoto bases the manga heavily upon the show, to the point that a lot of scenes and dialogue follow the anime more or less unchanged.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:41 pm

- Rei's telepathic powers are less ambiguously demonstrated
- Kaworu is a kitty-killing bastard
- fewer Angels/less filler

Little things like that
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:30 pm

They're a lot less angels.

Sandolphon
Matareal
Ireul
Leliel

Have all been skipped over.

I do enjoy reading the manga, though. I still am waiting on my 11th English Volume to arrive.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:44 pm

It's not a big loss since most of these angels were just useless. Anyway, I like the manga, but I really hate its dialogues.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:56 pm

It does screw with personalities and backstories quite a bit though. Asuka's now a test-tube baby, and Shinji is rather aggressive. He even tries to punch Gendou. And Kaworu ceases to be a sympathetic character and is instead a kitten-killing outright homosexual.

Also: It started slightly before the animu did, and still isn't finished. Sadamoto hasn't put out a new chapter in months.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Midori
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Midori » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:02 pm

I read the manga before I saw the show, so my interperatation of the characters mainly comes from the books. Although there are some divergenses in the plot, you pretty much get the same story, it't just a little different how you get there.
Example (may cause spoiler to episode 9 and volume 4): In the original ep 9, "Both of You Dance Like You Want to Win", Shinji and Asuka need to live together to "harmonize" in order to beat the Angel in 5 days. In the manga (vol 4) they stay at headquarters, rather than Misato's house like in the show, there are some variations in jokes, and in the manga the characters dont use the effed up DDR thing to train. But, in the end, it's the same basic premise and final battle (in which they are victorius).
Also, you seem to see the characters "true colors" a little more in the manga, primarily because they are not only more expressive, but, the very obvious reason is because you can read their thoughts and narrarations. The only time you see this in the show is during an akward voice over.
Because of the whole 'reading thoughts" and "more expressive" deal, the manga seems to me to be a little more conrete than the show. Meaning, in the show, almost everything is up for your own interpretation and can sometimes be a little harder to understand, while in the manga, although equally as complicated, offers a more "set-in-stone" view. But in the end, it's the same, amazing, wild story line we all love.

(Please note though, the manga is not yet completed. There are allegedly going to be 12 volumes, and vol 11 just came out in the US last month. About three quarters into vol 11, we start with the "end" of the series. But rather than follow the original ending, eps 25 and 26, it starts to more or less follow the movie End of Evangelion. So far, the scanlations tell me it's going down the path of EoE. But since no new chapters have been up for a while, and given EVA's infamous past with it's ending, we really have no idea how the manga will end, if it will be the same or similar to EoE, or maybe revert to the original ending, or maybe we'll get something completly new)
Ever find it a little ironic that the theme for Rebuild of Evangelion is "Beautiful World"?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:11 pm

Midori wrote:Example (may cause spoiler to episode 9 and volume 4):

As noted in the rules, readers proceed at their own risk..

you pretty much get the same story

In broad, yes -- but this is one of the prime examples of Sadamoto's Asuka not being the same person as Anno's. Manga Asuka is a shameless tease, but Anime Asuka is just clutching at straws.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:29 pm

And Anime-Shinji is a boy who feels distinctly worthless and can't do anything for himself. Manga-Shinji is an angsty teen, as per his violent outbursts at Gendou and his constant sarcastic thoughts.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

Midori
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Midori » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:00 pm

Shiro wrote:And Anime-Shinji is a boy who feels distinctly worthless and can't do anything for himself. Manga-Shinji is an angsty teen, as per his violent outbursts at Gendou and his constant sarcastic thoughts.

I don't entirley agree with that statement, for I read the manga way before I saw the show and I always got the impression of Shinji being more like what you describe as anime-shinji. For example, as clearly stated several times by manga-shinji, he feels he is just a tool who although is just used by NERV, ultimatly fails to to protect those he loves, proceeding to him feeling like he has no purpose. On an unrealated not, I feel like Rebuild Shinji is a little too angsty. And if anime Shinji couldnt do anything by himself, then he obviously would not be able to pilot.

This is getting off topic. Sorry 'bout that.
Ever find it a little ironic that the theme for Rebuild of Evangelion is "Beautiful World"?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:35 pm

Just fyi, supposedly 13 volumes of the manga total will be released.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:21 am

Midori wrote:
Also, you seem to see the characters "true colors" a little more in the manga, primarily because they are not only more expressive, but, the very obvious reason is because you can read their thoughts and narrarations. The only time you see this in the show is during an akward voice over.

I completely disagree. Sadamoto did a horrible job on both Asuka and Misato.

He relegated both of them to basically guest characters and didn't get into explaining their dynamic characteristics all that much, Asuka being the worse case, or really why they were the way they were. I have to agree with Tines hereI feel soiled, Manga Asuka and Anime Asuka are not the same characters at all. Asuka should be a character that is on par with Shinji in the fucked in the head category, not simply a normal teenage girl.

Plus the relationship between Asuka and Shinji is completely different in the Manga as well. And not for the better.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:51 am

Hunter21 wrote:I feel soiled

My work here is done :D
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:09 am

Count A'ight wrote:- Rei's telepathic powers are less ambiguously demonstrated

specific example?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:34 pm

V wrote:specific example?

She and Bizarro Eva-01 have a little chat during the Shinji-Goo arc. (I AM WHAT YOU USED TO BE, YOU ARE WHAT I USED TO BE, HURRRRRRRRR WHAT LOL.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”