"Neon Genesis Evangelion" - the meaning

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AchtungAffen
Banned

"Neon Genesis Evangelion" - the meaning

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:04 pm

All right, t'seems that all these three words are greek. Don't know if ancient or modern one. And if I'm correct it would be like:

Neon -> New
Genesis -> genesis, origin, birth
Evangelion -> Good news

So the meaning would be "The good news of a new birth", right?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Sventevith
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Sventevith » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:13 pm

http://www.evamonkey.com/commentary/op/op.html

Check scene 003... or I'll just quote it ;)

Reichu said wrote:
* neon is the neuter form of neos, meaning "new"

* genesis means "birth" or "origin"

* "evangelion" comes from euangelion (ancient Greek had no "v"; the "v" switch came when the word entered Latin, which wrote all of its "u"s as "v"s), which is listed here as meaning "good news". The term is ultimately derived from euangelos, a combination of eu- ("good") and angelos ("messenger" -- and, yes, this is where the term "angel" comes from). In modern usage, "good news" has come to refer to the Christian gospel, which is why you'll often see Evangelion translated as "gospel."

So in absolute literal terms, "Neon Genesis Evangelion" means "New Birth Gospel." Errrr... okay.

[The American Heritage Dictionary. Second College Edition. Boston: Houston Mifflin Company, 1982.]

So you're kind of right on that one :)
"Meglio soli che mal accompagnati."

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:23 pm

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498

And that's gotta be the... what, fifth thread on the subject here?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:26 pm

Edit: Ah, screw it.
Asuka > Rei

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:44 pm

But nobody tries to make the sentence with "good news". Because I've been in a similar discussion in which the two alternatives were:

1) The new genesis of (a) good news

2) The good news of a new birth/origin

I prefer the second, although I can't say for sure which one actually is true
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:22 pm

The way I have seen it translated is either "New Century Gospel" or "Gospel of the New Century" where Gospel essentially means good news....
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:34 am

Greek title - Gospel of the New Beginning
Japanese title - Gospel of the New Century

My own preferred synthesis, with deliberate allusion to Crowley and his ilk, is

Gospel of the New Æon
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

JinKazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama » Fri May 13, 2005 7:11 am

Neon Genesis: Evangelion = New Centry: Gospel ( absolute truth? or what have you) :wink:
--== P.F.P. ==--
Philosophy of Freedom Project
.... If The Third Impact is an imagining of mankind in search for the ultimate freedom and individuality, it's clear that The Philosophy of Freedom Project will be the only solution in reality ....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 17, 2005 6:12 pm

Genesis does not mean "centry" (or "century", if that is what you meant).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Wayne
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Wayne » Wed May 18, 2005 12:04 am

Reichu wrote:Genesis does not mean "centry" (or "century", if that is what you meant).

Actually the Japanese (same in Chinese) characters that appear that are supposedly read "Shin Seiki" means New Century. I don't know why they translated it to Neon Genesis but I do agree it sounds like 1000000000x cooler than New Century.

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Wed May 18, 2005 3:19 pm

The term used of Paul in his epistles to describe the preaching of Christ and in the Septuagint as a translation of "good news" in general is euangelion. From the Online Etymology Dictionary:
gospel wrote:O.E. godspel "good news," from god "good" + spel "story, message," translation of L. bona adnuntiatio, itself a translation of Gk. euangelion "reward for bringing good news." First element of the O.E. word had a long "o," but it shifted under mistaken assoc. with God.

Again, from the same resource:
genesis wrote:O.E., from L. genesis, adopted as title of first book of Old Testament in Vulgate, from Gk. genesis "origin, creation, generation," from gignesthai "to be born," related to genos "race, birth, descent" (see genus). As such, it translated Heb. bereshith, lit. "in the beginning," which was the first word of the text, taken in error as its title. Extended sense of "origin, creation" first recorded in Eng. 1604.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed May 18, 2005 3:53 pm

Wayne wrote:Actually the Japanese (same in Chinese) characters that appear that are supposedly read "Shin Seiki" means New Century.

Not "supposedly" -- they do. I was just correcting Jin's seeming assumption that one title is equivalent to the other.

BTW, interesting bit about "gospel" being a translation of euangelion. I'll have to add that one to the commentary.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu May 19, 2005 2:13 am

Well, not that funny to me. What you english speakers call "the gospels", we spanish speakers call "los evangelios". gospel=evangelio (EN-ES).
My List @ AniDB

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu May 19, 2005 2:31 am

AchtungAffen wrote:Well, not that funny to me. What you english speakers call "the gospels", we spanish speakers call "los evangelios". gospel=evangelio (EN-ES).

And what you people call "evangelion" we call it ευαγγέλιο!^_^
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Thu May 19, 2005 6:46 am

the_seventh_child wrote:
AchtungAffen wrote:Well, not that funny to me. What you english speakers call "the gospels", we spanish speakers call "los evangelios". gospel=evangelio (EN-ES).

So, does that phoneticise in the same way? If not, how exactly is it pronounced?
Natsukashii, ne?

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Thu May 19, 2005 8:29 am

IRT Topic:

I remember hearing a long time ago of someone calling it "A Bright Beginning for the Teachings/Children of God". Pretty much sums up EoE's final scene in a way...

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri May 20, 2005 5:53 am

Soluzar wrote:
the_seventh_child wrote:

So, does that phoneticise in the same way? If not, how exactly is it pronounced?

The ευαγγέλιο--means gospel-- pronounced exactly evangelio..Without the "n" at the end..And we Christioans have a book called γένεσις which is pronounced ghenesis..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri May 20, 2005 12:25 pm

I wonder if the pronunciation of that "gh" correlates to the spanish or arab "j".
My List @ AniDB

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon May 23, 2005 2:59 am

AchtungAffen wrote:I wonder if the pronunciation of that "gh" correlates to the spanish or arab "j".

Yeah i think it does..

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”