Top 30 video game bosses list. Any nominations?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun May 25, 2008 2:57 pm

So is this judging by difficulty or awesomeness?

ps how could Big Daddy be challenging?

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sun May 25, 2008 3:48 pm

I'm assuming the latter, since a lot of the bosses mentioned aren't really that hard.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Skullraper » Sun May 25, 2008 3:56 pm

Sisters of Fate (God of War II)

GLaDOS (Portal)

Ridley (Metroid)

Cyberdemon (Doom)

Bongo Bongo (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time) freakiest Zelda boss ever
Dead Hand (mini-boss) freakiest Zelda monster ever
"Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories." - Arthur C. Clarke

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right." - Isaac Asimov

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun May 25, 2008 4:10 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Psycho Mantis? I have much more trouble with Vulcan Raven or Sniper Wolf in the first duel.
I didn't find any of the MGS bosses tough... except perhaps the Hind D. Psycho Mantis was one of the most coolest, original, and innovative bosses ever. Who else could think up a boss where switching controller ports was the only way to beat them?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun May 25, 2008 4:27 pm

First time I took Wolf on she'd peg me as soon as I inch around the corner. I couldn't even get a shot off. My luck with Raven totally dependant on how lame my Nakita skills are any given day and when they're lame I run around that room for 20+ min. Thank god for infinate ammo. Oddly Wolf is much easier on Game Cube. Back in PS I had to hit her like 5 times, if not more, but head shots are simple on Cube so she's down in 3. Lame huh? As for Mantis, I found him lame. I don't want to play a 1 player game to have to switch controller ports at random points in it.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

StevieC
Embryo

wow!

•      
  •      

Postby StevieC » Sun May 25, 2008 5:34 pm

Wow. I just let this thread ripen a bit and it explodes to popularity.

Time for some explainations though:
I'm already positive that Kefka is going to be the boss representing the Final Fantasy series, simply because Sephiroth won't stop pining about his mommy. (and I mean that literally). Sephiroth TRIED to destroy the world but Kefka succeeded, if only briefly.

Next up, how many looked at the video for Queen Larsa? I want to know your reactions to that vid.

Has anyone on these boards besides me even played Ikaruga?

And DAMN that magic speedball song is cruel. Only thing that could possibly be worse in a dance game would be RiverDance.

And the reason I picked Bark at the Moon is because unlike the other songs being suggested, Bark at the Moon actually deceives you. It doesn't sound hard. It makes you THINK it's going to be easier than it actually is.

GLaDOS was very tempting to list but SHODAN is just plain CREEPY.
Stevie-C,
Resident Character
Grand Rapids Community College
Michigan

"This is. Ma-Ma-Max Headroom."

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun May 25, 2008 5:54 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:First time I took Wolf on she'd peg me as soon as I inch around the corner. I couldn't even get a shot off. My luck with Raven totally dependant on how lame my Nakita skills are any given day and when they're lame I run around that room for 20+ min. Thank god for infinate ammo.
I don't think I was ever killed or even really wounded by Wolf. I always found her a cinch. Wait until she fires, then set up and track her, wait til she pops from behind a tree and bang! Raven is easy because all I did was set mines at various spots and inevitably he'd run into one and I'd set it off. The Stinger also worked well against him... Nikita was tough because if it wasn't going fast he'd catch it before it hit him.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun May 25, 2008 6:16 pm

Trees are in the 2nd sniper duel. First one is the long hallway. Nakita pwns her in the 2nd duel. As for Raven I'm just not patient enough to sit and wait for him to hit mines. I always did best with the Nakita on PS. He always seems to nail me when I use the Stinger. On Cube he was so random not even the mine trick worked. He always managed to avoid them at a certain point in the fight. I was like WTF hit a mine already... That was a very irratating 20 minutes. I think I actually had to bait him into the mines with the Stinger...
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun May 25, 2008 6:43 pm

Oh yeah, the first duel was a bit tougher actually. Never used anything but the sniper rifle on the second though (never knew I could, but wouldn't want to anyway). Yeah, beating Raven with mines does take some patience, but I could almost always figure a way to trap him where'd he'd HAVE to eventually hit a mine.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun May 25, 2008 8:20 pm

One of the most amazing final bosses I've ever fought was Overlord Mata Muram in the Omens of War expansion of Everquest from 2004-ish. Back then, with the gear people had, it took months and months of attempting and failing just to figure out how to setup our 54 man raid and how to deal with the 16 different contingency situations, and who was best at thinking on their toes in a clutch. It was one of the hardest final bosses to beat, even when I stopped playing EQ when we were beating the final bosses and getting even crazier gear 2 expansions later, but it was still a blast to be able to pull it off.

I don't know how I'd rank other video game bosses, especially 30 of them, but OMM is definitely at the top of all the games I've ever played.

EDIT: I just noticed in that link, there's a bunch of people arguing about the Sleeper kill I was part of on Rallos Zek, only server to kill the unkillable dragon that spawns only once, ever. "I was not in one of the 3 guilds that were in on killing him, but I am from RZ and was there that night. It was like listening to the world series on the radio. Almost every zone was getting up to the minute updates."

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sun May 25, 2008 9:50 pm

Could never did beat the second-to-last boss of Tomb Raider.

Couldn't beat Super Blair/Brea in Star Ocean III, though she was an after-game boss.

Will one day get pass both of those bosses. :spout:

I only borrowed the game from someone at work so I can't go back to it now, but I never saw the end of Final Fantasy X because I couldn't get pass the bit where you fight Sin (where you had to fight his head and his overdrive bar would charge up, you only had a certain number of turns before your entire party was killed by Sin's overdrive attack).

All of the bosses in Landstalker were tough. Mir the magician would fly around the room really fast, reacting to your movement, and shoot fireballs at you. Zak would fly out of the sky every 2 seconds and hit you every time. If you had enough Life Stocks and Eke Eke you could win, it's when you weren't stocked up on Eke Eke (and the other healing items which I forget the name of) that you were in trouble.

The most annoying bosses I remember though are the ones at the end of some levels of Giana Sisters, you just had to jump over them to go to the next level, but (at the time, I don't know if I'd find it any easier now) they were so hard to jump over you'd use up all your lives and have to start the game again.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sun May 25, 2008 10:39 pm

Howabout ULTIMECIA lawlz

no seriously...howabout these lovely peoplez?

The End

The Boss

The Sorrow

The Fear

The Fury

The Pain

The END
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon May 26, 2008 7:40 am

Also, there has to be someone to mention the various bosses in Super Metroid. Mother Brain, Ridley and Kraid = cool as hell.

StevieC
Embryo

Cool beans!

•      
  •      

Postby StevieC » Mon May 26, 2008 1:26 pm

Okay, I'm removing Durandal from the list and adding Mother Brain, still waiting for some good scrolling shooter bosses to add to the ones I've already put up. Anyone have a good shmup boss to nominate? I'm counting the entire FOXHOUND organization collectively as a boss. I look forward to more suggestions!
Stevie-C,
Resident Character
Grand Rapids Community College
Michigan

"This is. Ma-Ma-Max Headroom."

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Mon May 26, 2008 1:54 pm

I have played Ikaruga, I nominate:

Ikaruga, the stage 4 boss.
Well, the 4th stage IS the boss.
The tutorial was a cruel joke, it can't
happen.

I also nominate "Shredder" (first encounter)
from TMNT IV : "Turtles in Time".
You had to throw foot-soliders into
the screen to defeat him, which was a laugh.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Mon May 26, 2008 5:05 pm

Pretty much every boss in RE4: Come on, Del Lago, El Gigante, Krauser, It, Sadler, all of them.

Pasternak in Ace Combat 6: EPIC.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon May 26, 2008 5:11 pm

All the idiots that somehow manage to find there way onto the same team on an online FPS.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon May 26, 2008 10:05 pm

Rommel wrote:Pretty much every boss in RE4: Come on, Del Lago, El Gigante, Krauser, It, Sadler, all of them.

all of the bosses in RE4 were insanely awesome.

Bongo Bongo and dead hand are pretty freaky.

Darth Malak for suddenly being REALLY HARD after most of the game was super easy.

I nominante ganondorf/ganon from twilight princess for being the first boss that my sister absolutely raped while i had a hard time.

komari vossa from bounty hunter. she has 2 lightsabers, you have blasters.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon May 26, 2008 10:07 pm

Rommel wrote:Pretty much every boss in RE4: Come on, Del Lago, El Gigante, Krauser, It, Sadler, all of them.

If you know how to do it, Sadler is extrememly easy. And so is El Gigante. Krasuer and It were the hardest.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Mon May 26, 2008 10:53 pm

Howabout Baal and Diablo from Diablo 2?
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”