Do you think Calculus IV sucks?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:31 pm

Hey, I'm pretty sure a good number of people here are engineering majors. I mean the name of the site is 'evageeks.org, lots of geeks are engineers that are fairly far along. So on to the question . . .

On a side note, my friend helped kill a tree by using 20 sheets of paper for an assignment in a certain class.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:50 pm

The mathematics in the engineering program at CMU consisted of (at least in 1992) Calc (placed out from AP), Calc 2, Calc in 3d, and Differential Equations. If Calculus 4 is equivalent to Differential Equations, I didn't really like it that much but was required for the Analog Circuit design class.

The Math/CS program had Analysis 1 and 2 (didn't need to take either for my Mathematics degree), then Advanced Calculus 1 and 2, which consisted mostly of delta-epsilon proofs, Cauchy sequences and the like, verification of Calculus/Analysis concepts without basing it on limits. Those 2 were awesome classes.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Dude, Calculus I sucks. I don't even wanna think about Calc IV right now.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:59 pm

At my school there's Calc I-IV. IV being basically differentials and integrals with multiple variables. Then there's a whole plethora of other math classes that most non-math majors don't ever need to take. Differential Equations is its own separate class.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:29 am

Calculus is just math with pre-determined equations. I really don't find it all that difficult, since the problem solving for each question is usually a generic (insert this formula and solve) strategy.

The one exception is matrices. I hate matrices.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:17 am

I have probably managed to forget about 80% of my maths degree over the last 20-odd years, since I've not needed to use any of it.

When I used to work on satellite antenna design, I needed a fair bit of calc (quadruple integrals for determining the interference between elements of a compound array of radiating elements), but that was back in the mid-80s.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Maverick
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Maverick » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:39 am

The Bastard King wrote:Calculus is just math with pre-determined equations. I really don't find it all that difficult, since the problem solving for each question is usually a generic (insert this formula and solve) strategy.

The one exception is matrices. I hate matrices.

I second that!

I did better in Calc III and Physics IV than I did with that stupid Linear Algebra which consisted of matrices and moooore matrices =)
One mistake and boom, you're doomed.

Back on topic, my Computer Engineering program does not have Calc IV. It has Calc I, II and III, and differential equations, that may qualify as Calc IV, I dunno...
Boo!

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby majlund » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:06 am

Hey - don't diss Linear Algebra. Together with probability it's great background material when doing error correcting codes (e.g. Reed-Solomon) - and let's not forget about finite fields and... and... :yippee:
Erhm - sorry I got carried away there, I'll ooze back under my rock.
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:16 am

Calculus was hard for me, but I always wished I had the capacity to take it farther. There's always more mathematics out there to learn.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:49 pm

I hated Calculus. That is all.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:25 pm

From what I am learning on my own, it seems quite interesting, but quite a waste of money (the amount of paper that is used, which is eventualy thrown away anyway)
I feel old

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:00 pm

well, I have a few friends who have had Calc IV and I've heard mixed "reviews"

one was specializing in aerospace engineering and he was pretty "on board" with it, though it did tired him out

one was in electrical engineering and he passed the course but he thought it was ultimately a waste of time

since, "academically" anyway, I'm more into the economic/financial/social science side of things, I wouldn't know

so, if you're not into the physics side of science or maybe mathematics/statistics, I would say it would suck major donkey balls
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:26 am

The Imperialist wrote:From what I am learning on my own, it seems quite interesting, but quite a waste of money (the amount of paper that is used, which is eventualy thrown away anyway)

what?

im a mathematics major and i've never even heard of calc 4.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:54 am

slothen wrote:what?

im a mathematics major and i've never even heard of calc 4.

I'm guessing the definition of 'calc IV' varies from school to school. It's really just regular calculus with multiple variables at my school. Yeah, I get the stuff pretty easily since I got a good base in calc I and II, but damn, it sure uses a lot of trees to do about 20 problems.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:49 am

The Imperialist wrote:From what I am learning on my own, it seems quite interesting, but quite a waste of money (the amount of paper that is used, which is eventualy thrown away anyway)

So recycle.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:28 am

I am.... I am using papers which one side has already been printed, and I am not using it anymore.
I feel old

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby majlund » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:11 pm

May I introduce you to pencil and eraser?
Rather than thinking it oldfashioned, I consider it proven technology :thumbsup:
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

Maverick
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Maverick » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:43 pm

majlund wrote:May I introduce you to pencil and eraser?
Rather than thinking it oldfashioned, I consider it proven technology :thumbsup:

I never got used to pens. Pencils and erasers are my best friends since what, elementary school? :D
Boo!

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:27 pm

Oh, just to say, don't try to do it with real quill pens (I tried). The pen will erode within a few hours,and it is generally irritating.
I feel old

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: Do you think Calculus IV sucks?

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:19 pm

Iron Rooster wrote:Do you think Calculus IV sucks?

The sequel is never as good as the original. Though I rather liked Calculus III: The Integral Strikes Back.

People wrote:words about writing implements

It's not the tool -- it's how you use it. That being said, I have some kind of mechanical pencil fetish. I am only slightly more picky about pens. However, that's only while drawing -- when doing math work, any mechanical pencil will do, more or less. The wooden ones with the pink erasers are useless, and pens are not worth even owning in terms of writing things -- if you are inking something, then maybe they're useful, but if you are writing something, pens are useless. If you want something permanent, write it on the computer and print it -- it's just as permanent as any other ink on paper, but actually legible, not to mention that you have the ability to edit it while writing without making a mess of the paper.

And fyi, I am currently in the process of failing Calculus I. And yes, I'm an engineering major. I like it okay, but the book sucks, and the prof isn't helping much. The book only explains the stuff in english (if you want to explain math, explain it in MATH, ffs!), and the prof isn't even fluent in english (she speaks maths okay, but she can't mesh with the book at all because she can't figure out what it's trying to teach). Perhaps I should just read the page on Real Analysis on wikipedia and then come in and ace the final suddenly.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”