The Live Action Evangelion Movie

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 am

Ehhh, maybe once I finish Microserfs[/u].

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 03:36 GMT

kalisaris [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kalisaris [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 am

Plus it was supossed to be a book for his children, so it's narrated in a much lighter way than the Lord...

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 03:37 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 am

Reichu wrote:Ehhh, maybe once I finish Microserfs[/u].

Image Another Coupland convert, perhaps? I do love his work. While Microserfs is the one that I can most directly relate to, some of his other books are technically better. I wouldn't say I enjoyed his other stuff more by any means, but some of it is very moving and impressive. I have no reservations about recommending his entire body of work.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 04:49 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 am

Soluzar wrote:Image Another Coupland convert, perhaps?

Well, actually, you recommended it eons back, but not until recently did I think to actually order a copy. It wasn't as hard on my bank account (which has just completed its first half-life) as some of the other frivolous purchases I've been making... :cough:

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 05:41 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 am

What do you guys suppose the odds are of as serving as a consultant for this film should it ever get into production?

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 06:16 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:06 am

What do you guys suppose the odds are of as serving as a consultant for this film should it ever get into production?

For whom? You? Er... better than most (for what it's worth).

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 06:54 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:07 am

Zilch. Your [Monkey's] offer to Mr. Greenfield at Otakon '04 probably left his head by the time he left the room, if not earlier. If we're not involved in the industry, we are just nameless consumer-geeks, nothing more. Sometimes actual everyday fans are "consulted" for movie adaptations, but I just can't see that being the case here.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 07:13 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:07 am

Erm... well it's still better than most. Image

The likely thought which dictates all movie-related decisions: I directed the dub, I actually had contact with the creators, and anything the fans might have to say is just a result of that.

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 07:23 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:07 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:What do you guys suppose the odds are of as serving as a consultant for this film should it ever get into production?

Would you want to? Really think about this for a second... Sure, you might get to influence some important bits of trivia, but when the execs say something like:

"Ray has to get Shinji into bed if this is going to play for the all important I-think-with-my-pecker demographic!"

"Shinji needs more of a 'take-charge' attitude, doncha think? He's kind of a wimpy character as written?"

"OK, so these giant robots; shouldn't they have more missiles and lasers"

"I have a question: Why is the third Angel the first one we see?"

"Yeah! And where the he11 are his wings? How's the audience gonna know he's an angel without wings?"

"What's a synch rate? That's boring, cut it out of the script!"

"Giant WHAT Ray? I smell a box-office record!"

Then you're just gonna wish you had drilled a hole through your head, because it would be quicker, less painfull, and you'd probably enjoy it a whole lot more. Oh, and if you aren't convinced, I can probably think of at least a dozen more stupid things that will probably get said, and probably get acted upon. You don't want this job. You don't need an ulcer at your age. You have too much integrity for Hollywood. Only just, mind Image

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 09:08 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

You're forgetting, Biscuit, about Shinji's inevitable rename to "Bob". Image

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 09:22 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:07 am

That would just kill any shread of dignity the poor boy had. If the EoE movie was ever made LA, one might except something like this from idiots:
"OMG, Bob's gonna get pregnant 'cause he did that.....thing while Asuka was comatose!"
I kid you not, some people in this country, the product of mis-information abstainence classes, actually think that can happen. May God or anyone else save their souls. Image

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 17:51 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Maybe Bob is secretly a seahorse.

Bob "Oh, crap, Kate, just look at my midriff! That's the last time I hang around you without protection while you're ovulating!"

Originally posted on: 24-Jan-2005, 18:33 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:07 am

Why does this remind me so much of Mad TV poking fun at those 50's sex-ed videos? Image

Originally posted on: 25-Jan-2005, 08:28 GMT

Goldarmy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Goldarmy [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:07 am

Has anyone seen the movie Constantine yet?

Originally posted on: 26-Mar-2005, 08:44 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:08 am

Goldarmy wrote:Has anyone seen the movie Constantine yet?

1. Yes I have. Excellent movie. Image

2. What does this have to do with the Live Action Evangelion Movie? lol...

Originally posted on: 25-Mar-2005, 21:16 GMT

Goldarmy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Goldarmy [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:08 am

Joeshie wrote:1. Yes I have. Excellent movie. Image

2. What does this have to do with the Live Action Evangelion Movie? lol...

A lot since the movie claims to base itself on a comic, yet disregards almost all source literature. I will give a more through rant after I see movie

And I am not even counting the Spear of Longinus wrapped by a Nazi flag in Mexico.

Originally posted on: 25-Mar-2005, 21:29 GMT

Goldarmy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Goldarmy [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:08 am

I have finally seen the movie, it isn't a horrible movie but it isn't good either, it never rises above Hellblazerlite. And the problem of the movie doesn't lie with Keannu Reeves, take that as you will. No the faults of movie (mediocrity, the Spear of Destiny, making Devil equal of God, Gabriel being a half angel) lies directly on the shoulders of the screenwriters Kevin Brodbin and Frank Cappello.

A movie adaptation will have it's limits, even when it's target is a comic there have to be compromises to fit into a two hour length. Of course we anime fans have experienced the differences of story or character between manga and animation, it isn't a bad thing (Ex Full Metal Alchemist), though there are exceptions (Ex: bad Samurai Deeper Kyo).

That said for example you can direct a movie about Clark Kent who grew up in New Orleans and comes to Chicago to be an attorney at law. His best best friends could be Jimmy Olsen a fellow lawyer, who is married and has teenaged children, and Loise Lane a cab driver. While having no superpower of his own, he could secretly fight crime with a bodyarmour he built with the technology of his dead planet Krypton.

You could name this imaginary movie The Man of Steel, and it could be a great movie.

And yet the fans will surely be spitting venom and hating your guts for years to come.

As an adaptation Constantine is exactly like this imaginary The Man of Steel. The number of the elements taken from the comic prevents us to see this as a brand new character. Also as a Sandman reader I have no nice words to say for Devil's appearance in the movie.

But since LAEM project isn't going anywhere soon we have nothing to worry about. Don't we?

Originally posted on: 28-Mar-2005, 23:13 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:08 am

How much do you want to bet that this thread will have exceeded 1,000 pages on the day before the film's release?

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 06:59 GMT

Ultimate-ZERO [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ultimate-ZERO [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:08 am

... I think I'll take a Gentleman's Bet on that. In favor of the odds being this Thread will reach over 1000 before the Live Action Eva Movie comes to a theater near you.

[ooc] Gentleman's Bet = No money put down. If I win, I get nothing. If I lose, you get nothing. It's a lot like a Democratic government, only more can get done. [/ooc]

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 07:54 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:08 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:How much do you want to bet that this thread will have exceeded 1,000 pages on the day before the film's release?
No, Anime Nation's totalitarian regime will probably delete it in favor of keeping the databade small so they spend as little money as possible on bandwith. Either that, or they'll put obnoxious flash advertisements into our avatars. "The Eva Monkey is brought to you by Tide. Do you have trouble powering out grass stains? Well, Tide's new formula is tough on grass stains, but gentle on fibers. Tide, for a long lasting clean!"

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 17:09 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”