The Nietzsche Aspects of Eva

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:34 am

@Anonymous_Evafan
I think we have to agree to disagree on the interleaved/multi-threaded issue (though noting that some of ep 25 reads more like flashback to the pre-EoE world than events during complementation).

@Alaska Slim
As to the nature of reality, all the "anywhere can be heaven" BS seems to speak the opposite -- that Anno is one of those slightly annoying people for whom the material comfort of the late 20th century could be used to support the virtues of getting back to nature.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:21 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
@Alaska Slim
As to the nature of reality, all the "anywhere can be heaven" BS seems to speak the opposite -- that Anno is one of those slightly annoying people for whom the material comfort of the late 20th century could be used to support the virtues of getting back to nature.

You misunderstand, human nature allows us to accept the pain and sorrow in life and yet still derrive meaning from it, and even hapiness if we are willing, while reality itself will still be 'indifferent' to us all the same.

That line talks about how we percieve reality, not that if we accept reality that it will then be kind to us.

As quoted before:

"A man said to the universe: "Sir I exist!" "However," replied the universe, "The fact has not created in me A sense of obligation." - Stephen Crane Image
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Zuggy
Banned

Postby Zuggy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:33 am

Alaska Slim wrote:You yourself can be considered guilty of the same act, though you stated 'ending scenes', you still weren't specific in exactly what scenes you meant, in that context, the entirety of both ending episodes and the latter half of EoE can come into play.

Look at the post you're referencing:

Zugzwang wrote:the ending with Shinji all "yippee, my life is worth living" and Shinji on that beach there, strangling Asuka while crying aren't the same ending and can't be compared to each other!

If you couldn't work out which scenes I was talking about after that then, well - what can I say?

If English isn't your first language and you just didn't understand what I wrote then you can't have a go at me about that, either - elsewhere recently you admitted you had some kind of mental disability, and again you can't have a go at me about that, it's your problem if you can't remember what was written previously.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:50 am

Play the ball, not the man, if you please.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:57 pm

I am sorry, but we aregetting side tracked. Nothing about Nietzsche or Wagner for that matter, was mentioned.
I feel old

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:47 pm

Zugzwang wrote:
Alaska Slim wrote:You yourself can be considered guilty of the same act, though you stated 'ending scenes', you still weren't specific in exactly what scenes you meant, in that context, the entirety of both ending episodes and the latter half of EoE can come into play.

Look at the post you're referencing:

Zugzwang wrote:the ending with Shinji all "yippee, my life is worth living" and Shinji on that beach there, strangling Asuka while crying aren't the same ending and can't be compared to each other!

If you couldn't work out which scenes I was talking about after that then, well - what can I say?

*whistles* Wrong-o, THIS is the post I was referring to:

Zugzwang wrote:The paragraphs in question from the concurrent endings page:

[code:1]In episode 26' we see Shinji back in reality, he is on Earth, in the real world, he keeps living, he has rejected Complementation. In episode 26 we see this "dark room" blasted away, we see Shinji say he wants to keep living, he wants to exist, he is congratulated by everyone in his imaginary world (including a very dead Kaji, which should tell everyone that this scene is very much fantasy, and not some "image" of Complementation) and then with a smile, the new Shinji, the Shinji with value, disappears from our screen with a thank you to everyone.

The final text on the screen at the end of episode 26 includes a farewell to Shinji's mother, which is mirrored in episode 26' "Good-bye, mother.". Shinji returns to reality, and Yui floats away into space in Eva-01.[/code:1]
Uh, right, so explain to me, Alaska Slim, how the ending scenes match up directly - as the page you linked to as your evidence doesn't even attempt to try.

Zugzwang wrote:If English isn't your first language and you just didn't understand what I wrote then you can't have a go at me about that, either - elsewhere recently you admitted you had some kind of mental disability, and again you can't have a go at me about that, it's your problem if you can't remember what was written previously.

If you truly understood my approach to my 'disability' as you call it, you would also know I don't like to contend it as an excuse, though I joke about it at times. Furthermore, if you actually understood what the 'disability' was, you would then know that it would be invalid of me to do so here anyway. This is because it has no proven affect on one's memory, and for that matter, I did not forget anything to begin with, as I have proven.

Therefore, I trust you will from now on approach this subject with a little more tact then you have demonstrated here, or preferably, not at all since your level of comprehension of not only my 'disability' but of who I' am is severely limited.

Though I do not expect an apology from you, I will none the less forgive you for your negligence on this matter, since you were not there to witness my statements about this. However, do not dare to second-guess me like this ever again, you have not known me long nor well enough to have earned that right.

Now, back to the discussion. Image
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:59 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Play the ball, not the man, if you please.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:20 pm

hey guys

nietzsche sucks
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:16 am

Oh my fucking Deity, why the hell is trigger going around saying ‘something something SUCKS’? I shall have to be rude. SHUT THE FUCK UP!
I feel old

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:01 pm

The Imperialist wrote:Oh my fucking Deity, why the hell is trigger going around saying ‘something something SUCKS’? I shall have to be rude. SHUT THE FUCK UP!

:!: :!: :!: BURN!!!! :!: :!: :!:
(lol, ive been saying that all day)
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:04 pm

The Imperialist wrote:Oh my fucking Deity, why the hell is trigger going around saying ‘something something SUCKS’?

Because he's a smart man and maybe he's on to something.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:09 pm

BobBQ wrote:
The Imperialist wrote:Oh my fucking Deity, why the hell is trigger going around saying ‘something something SUCKS’?

Because he's a smart man and maybe he's on to something.

:!: :!: :!:BURN!!!1:!: :!: :!:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:52 am

I think we are done here.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”