T-T-T-Tetramorph!

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:50 pm

Are you referring to this one, from the commentary OP? Was this from an Orthodox church?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:57 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Are you referring to this one, from the commentary OP? Was this from an Orthodox church?
That's the one. I dunno where I got the idea that Zuggy had anything to do with that, except that he's aways posting weird old esoteric images...

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:08 pm

The face on the Hagia Sophia Sammael looks more like some sort of Starfish than an owl face. And there ain't no core there either.

Speaking of which...did they really get the idea of a core from the tetramorph or did they just concoct it on the fly? Koukyuu or photosphere brings to mind a star, one of those 'inner universe' themes Anno is fond of.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:57 pm

I don't really see a "core" in the Tetramorph image.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:42 am

UrsusArctos wrote:Are you saying that cute little Pen-Pen is an Angel?????? :Shock:

Don't you know your proper Eva Angel order and name-pronunciations? "The 19th Angel is...Pen-pen???" Just to quote this silly thing Reichu (I think it was??) had on her site.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:53 am

NAveryW wrote:Does this mean that we're still going to call it Sammael, though? I've always thought it was kind of a jump to decide that it's Sammael simply because of the number of wings.

He's the only angel I'm aware of with twelve wings, and they probably added the six extra ones on purpose. I've also seen the figure referred to as "Lucifer" (ahem), without providing the "12 wings" justification.

OMF wrote:Whether the creature known as the Tetramorph itself was the actual base image is I think a matter needed further confirmation.

I don't think we're going to get it.

Ursus wrote:Speaking of which...did they really get the idea of a core from the tetramorph or did they just concoct it on the fly?

The core is just an established feature of the Angels, one decided early on. The basic concept, of the spherical or jewel-like object housing a being's life force, isn't a new one, but it isn't Judeo-Christian.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ORAMI!?
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ORAMI!? » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:58 am

I have no convenient source links, but I have seen many medieval images of angels with multiple wings drawn in that manner, so it may just be a particular epoch's way of drawing angel wings instead of a reference to any particular angel.

Also, I thought that the number of wings corresponded to the "rank" of that particular angel, in which case Sammael/Lucifer having an inordinately large number (12) would make sense.
"Hope and despair, joy and sorrow, love and hate, fascination and hatred, heaven and hell, the past and the future, yesterday, today and tomorrow, dreams and nightmares, and the world itself -- all these are created by people. And there is nothing created by people that cannot be destroyed by people."

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:30 am

Reichu wrote:
Alaska Slim wrote:I thought it was Satan...

It is.

Oh... then I was obviously reading something wrong... 8)
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:01 pm

ORAMI!? wrote:Also, I thought that the number of wings corresponded to the "rank" of that particular angel, in which case Sammael/Lucifer having an inordinately large number (12) would make sense.

Looking further, 12 isn't characteristic to Sammael/Satan* ("Lucifer" as a synonym is debatable), but the reference is made (beyond the Legends of the Jews one I mention in FGC) in the rather high-profile Revelation: he is “that great serpent with 12 wings that draws after him, in his fall, the solar system.”

Then, in the Standard Revised Edition lying around on the family bookshelf, the nearest thing resembling that quote goes, "that ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world -- he was thrown down to Earth, and his angels were thrown down with him", so I have no idea what is going on here. I'm about as far-removed from a Bible scholar as you can get, so I have no idea how the original Greek reads...

* I.e., the Chalkydri/Kalkydra.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:52 am

Which other angels have 12 wings?

Okay, maybe I'm just being a little too sleepy, but I counted out the eyes of the angel in the OP, and there are exactly 25 eyes. idano if that does anything for anybody. 25....hmm, lol.

OOH! I found a picture of Sammael....drawn by Reichu..among other interesting pictures. wonderful gallery, had no idea you were an artist but -_- never mind!

wait...what was I trying to say...

why does sammael appear in the OP? I think I need to go to bed.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:48 am

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:why does sammael appear in the OP? I think I need to go to bed.

http://evacommentary.org/op/op_1.html#cut001b might be useful

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:22 am

I doubt it's the "tetramorph" -

1. There are ALWAYS four of them.
2. Each has four faces.
3. Each has four wings.
4. Each has a human body with brazen hoofs.
5. They are one part of the greater structure of the throne of God, none of which is shown in the opening credits.

Sometimes they show up in other forms tho'.

Shin-seiki wrote:Does anyone have that pic of Sammael from a church ceiling in eastern Europe that Zuggy (IIRC) posted a while back?

The only pic from a church I've posted is this one -

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:Okay, maybe I'm just being a little too sleepy, but I counted out the eyes of the angel in the OP, and there are exactly 25 eyes. idano if that does anything for anybody. 25....hmm, lol.

There are 25 visible eyes, but one of them is covered up in the image, there are 26 eyes on it's wings in total!

25 and 26 have a few interesting numeric correspondences, none of them seem to go anywhere tho', except maybe 26 being the value KaBD, the husband of Lilith.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:57 am

Zugzwang wrote:The only pic from a church I've posted is this one -

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:02 pm

Zugzwang wrote:25 and 26 have a few interesting numeric correspondences, none of them seem to go anywhere tho
No, but 25' and 26' do.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:33 pm

:!: Nice one, don't know why I didn't see that connection meself - problem is I can't see how else it connects to the last episodes other than like Shinji's SDAT player, as being a form of foreshadowing -

If you take the central pillar of Numbers on the Tree of Emanations, 1, 6, 9, 10 and add them up, it comes to 26!

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”