Evangelion/Gunbuster Comparisons & Preference

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:43 am

This is a good one to bump... :bump:

Originally posted on: 04-Apr-2005, 05:00 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:43 am

Oddly enough, now that I have seen Gunbuster since I last posted here, I feel much more obligated to keep my mouth shut on this topic...

Originally posted on: 04-Apr-2005, 05:10 GMT

CrossboneGundam [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CrossboneGundam [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:43 am

I'm gonna say Gunbuster is several hundred times better than Eva, to me.

Originally posted on: 04-Apr-2005, 05:13 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:43 am

Having seen Gunbuster recently, I have to go with that.

Originally posted on: 04-Apr-2005, 05:22 GMT

musashi1600 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby musashi1600 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:43 am

Dr. Nick wrote:There are almost too many visual similarities to count. For example the descent into the black hole bomb was largely repeated in Magma Diver; Gunbuster tears its enemies' force-fields in quite a familiar way; and if I recall correctly, the surface of the black hole bomb had a curious octahedronal pattern on it...
There was also some gratuitous Gainax self-advertising and [b]a brief Totoro-cameo...

Out of curiosity, does Eva have one of those Totoro cameos?

Originally posted on: 04-Apr-2005, 05:27 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Not cameo, but homage.

Originally posted on: 04-Apr-2005, 05:39 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:43 am

There is a cameo too, dammit! A Totoro-poster on the wall of Noriko's room, I think it was in episode 5. (I need an image hosting service account; life without picture bombardment ability is so annoying!)

Originally posted on: 10-Apr-2005, 19:36 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Yay! The Doctor is back!

I meant there isn't a cameo in -NGE- specifically. We just have that homage instead.

Originally posted on: 11-Apr-2005, 08:44 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:43 am

Behold what military service has done to my attention span! Musashi, everybody, I apologize.

But anyways, I'm planning to post some relevant Gunbuster-screencaps after I get back on broadband again. Of course, they're going to be from that crappy hardsubbed euro-dvd-version so we cannot use them in the commentary, but maybe later on (much, much later) this topic could be expanded into an independent appendix (with good quality screencaps from Sharp's Japanese dvd-version). Or something. Just an idea.

Originally posted on: 11-Apr-2005, 15:44 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:43 am

Dr. Nick wrote:(with good quality screencaps from Sharp's Japanese dvd-version). Or something. Just an idea.

Just let me know what ones.

Unfortunatly (as Rachel has discovered), I'm horribly unreliable just now due to near end of semester Uni work). They'll get done, eventually.

Originally posted on: 11-Apr-2005, 16:11 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

"Or else! Or else what? Exactly."

Originally posted on: 11-Apr-2005, 16:33 GMT

onearmedscissor [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby onearmedscissor [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:45 am

the final two episodes were very well done. they brought a lot of insight to the characters.

also, if the Shinji holding kaoru scene in 24 was just to save money, then why would they leave it in death?

Originally posted on: 11-Apr-2004, 23:08 GMT

senseinobaka [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby senseinobaka [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:45 am

Quiddity wrote:I wouldn't have gotten myself in that situation in the first place. I wouldn't have gone so overboard earlier in the series which Anno did, eventually screwing themselves over. And I would plan from the start knowing full well that I am on TV not in an OVA or movie and thus have limitations when it comes to content. Thus I wouldn't get myself in that situation in the first place. Gainax gets no sympathy from me regarding the situation they were in for the final 2 episodes because they got themselves in that situation. And as Tomino and other directors/writers have proved, it is possible to radically change your ending for the better when the situation changes radically. I'm no writer, I'm not a creative person, if you threw me in a situation where I had to resolve Eva with 2 episodes and no budget and no time I wouldn't be able to pull out a masterpiece. But unlike Anno and co. I would make sure not to get in that situation in the first place.

I dont know if you could plan for a money source(sega) pulling out on you....but maybe you're that good, who knows.

When I read forums like this, I tend to wonder how is it that just Eva comes under such fire. The complaints against this series so far include 2, 1 minute scences and a WELL DONE, so called 'monster of the week' plot. Do people tend to forget that when compared to other series, Eva has an extremely large amount of aspects that are unparalled, such as the character development. I just find it intresting that things that are so miniscule can be complained about and things that are amazing are overlooked.

Anyway. I chose Eva over Gunbuster only because Eva has everything that made gunbuster great just in a longer and even more dramatic story.

Originally posted on: 12-Apr-2004, 02:15 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:45 am

onearmedscissor wrote:also, if the Shinji holding kaoru scene in 24 was just to save money, then why would they leave it in death?

Because Death was already pretty much a ripoff anyways, heh. Though still not as bad as Rebirth, scarily enough.

Originally posted on: 13-Apr-2004, 08:04 GMT

onearmedscissor [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby onearmedscissor [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:45 am

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Because Death was already pretty much a ripoff anyways, heh. Though still not as bad as Rebirth, scarily enough.

but they could have put any other scene in the series to fill most of the time Shinji was holding kaoru, so why didn't they? the only logical answer is because that scene was intended to be that long for dramatic effect, not budget reasons.

Originally posted on: 15-Apr-2004, 00:40 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:45 am

onearmedscissor wrote:but they could have put any other scene in the series to fill most of the time Shinji was holding kaoru, so why didn't they? the only logical answer is because that scene was intended to be that long for dramatic effect, not budget reasons.

The purpose behind the final scene of Death is to set things up for Rebirth/Ep 25' . That's why we get the end of Ep 24'. You don't just "insert scenes" when you're doing that, as it breaks the flow. It would also have messed up the timing with the music

Originally posted on: 15-Apr-2004, 00:42 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”