Shin Kamen Rider

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Shin Kamen Rider

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:35 am

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/02/sd-shin ... 27-in-asia It's already getting a beat-em-up video game apparently.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:24 am

That Beat 'em up game mentions that both Kamen Rider 1 & 2 are in it so I'm really interested to see how they handle that. The manga and the live action show have radically different versions for the change. However, it was all spurned on by the real life actor of Kamen Rider 1 being injured in a stunt. Since it's a series with such loose continuity it's even been told a third way in a film adaptation.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:14 pm

kuribo-04 wrote:Kind of weird that we don't have a release date yet. The film comes out next month.

I think I saw an Instagram post from their account a few weeks ago that said March 10th but I can't find that anymore. Maybe they took it down.

But since the film's Twitter account also just announced the 2-disc soundtrack is releasing on April 5th the movie must be good to go for a March release.
Truly weird they haven't officially dated it yet.

Google Translate:
From April 5th (Wednesday), the release of the music collection CD " #シン・仮面ライダー music collection (provisional)", which collects the songs used in the play, has been decided.
It will be released as a 2-disc set of songs by the composer #岩崎琢 who works on the music of this work.
For details ↓
https://shin-kamen-rider.jp/news/449/
Please stay tuned.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:19 am

I didn't even doubt that it'd hit the march release. Since marketing is definitely ramping up. It's just kinda strange lol.

Pretty sure the final trailer and release date will come together. Just not sure why the date is "kept secret".

EDIT: Apparently the release date will be the 50th anniversary of...something.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 am

If you go to the quoted tweet, it tells you

February 7th is the 50th anniversary of the first episode of Kamen Rider.

So that'd be yesterday in Japan by now.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:37 am

I think the tweet is talking about two different anniversaries.
The responses are speculating too about what anniversaries take place in march.

But I really don't know enough about Kamen Rider to speculate.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:12 pm

The quoted tweet is from 2021, when the first episode aired 50 years ago. In fact, the other tweet looks like the birthday of something else.

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:It's already getting a beat-em-up video game apparently.

I found out about this when I saw the cover art for the Nintendo Switch version last month:
SPOILER: Show
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:56 am

New key visuals and trailer dropped.
Release is march 17 (partial release in some theaters) and march 18.

Trailer, mostly shots we've seen. Music is a little different:
https://youtu.be/PUcK-59_ykI

According to Google Lens the tagline is "Things that don't change. And things you don't want to change."

This user noticed something:

Some very limited character info:

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:33 pm

Good lord, his hand...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:08 pm

First screening of SHIN KAMEN RIDER is happening in Japan today.
The films runtime is 121 minutes.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:58 am

Still no "proper trailer". Film comes out in 10 days lol. It has to drop any day now.
I hope the runtime isn't too short for the two Kamen Riders it is including. But I'm sure that was paid attention to.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:43 am

Saw some tweet responses to the screening. They were unable to say anything specific obviously but all were positive responses with the key theme seeming to be this is Anno's very original & personal take on the material.

The "simultaneous worldwide release" that made it sound like every country was getting the film in March 2023 that the producers promised back when the film was announced seems to have been abandoned. I always had hope they could pull it off but it always seemed a bit over-enthusiastic on their behalf but hopefully those of us outside Japan won't have to wait too long to see the film.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:33 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:The "simultaneous worldwide release" that made it sound like every country was getting the film in March 2023 that the producers promised back when the film was announced seems to have been abandoned..

That seems so long ago now...
I hope either Prime or theatrical releases happen.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:54 am

IMAX poster:

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:53 am

Lol look at these fuckin chuunibyou (don't mean that in a bad way I actually think it's cute. it's just that the idea of the kids taking this photo and Shinji and Kaworu deciding to do the pose is really funny to me).

Also this is separate, but I've never really watched Kamen Rider before (I think I've seen maybe two episodes) but lately have kinda been wanting to get into it. What would be a good entry point? (I assume this movie wouldn't be the best place to start)
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:17 pm

MsenjaKagami wrote:Also this is separate, but I've never really watched Kamen Rider before (I think I've seen maybe two episodes) but lately have kinda been wanting to get into it. What would be a good entry point? (I assume this movie wouldn't be the best place to start)

I've never seen an episode of Kamen Rider either. But presumably this film is going to be similar in conception to Shin Godzilla & Shin Ultraman where it's a standalone continuity and any familiarity with the brand isn't needed. If you are a fan you'll get subtle references or quick callouts but if you're not you can enjoy it simply as a film.

I don't think this film needs you to know Kamen Rider to enjoy it and could very well act as an entry point to the franchise.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:19 pm

Yeah I remember them specifically saying this is meant for newcomers too.
I watched the first two episodes of the OG show, and...they haven't aged too well... -o-; And that's being nice to them. It might be worth it to see where Anno is getting some concepts from, but yeah, not necessary. Like his interpretation of the "Bat-man" (episode 2) seems very different.

https://youtu.be/9y56V0RHYOg
A few episodes are on this official channel.

EDIT:
Cinemas are getting ready.

Still no trailer! Starting to think there might not be one. Or one post release, which I would avoid

MsenjaKagami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MsenjaKagami » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:14 pm

Ah ok, well that's good to know then lol. I guess if anything, it'll just make future viewings of the movie more interesting (assuming it ends up getting me to watch the original kamen rider or something)

EDIT:
View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I watched the first two episodes of the OG show, and...they haven't aged too well... -o-;

Wow I just saw a clip of the original show on Twitter and you were not kidding lmao (no idea if it was what you were specifically talking about, but does show its age for sure)
Avatar Source: https://twitter.com/AwakeningDog/status ... UW7kpedBvg

Software engineering degree haver, aspiring pretend storyteller

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:50 pm

∆ I think most episodes are probably the same in that costumes and such are just not very good. They were working with what they had of course, and I guess it has its charm. But I feel like Ultraman for example has aged a little better.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:47 am

Most Kamen Rider shows are pretty interchangable; if you're a fan of anime I would suggest Kamen Rider Ryuki. This was a deeply influential work that inspired mega hits like Fate Stay Night and Madoka Magica. If you're curious about how Kamen Rider influenced Evangelion, I would recommend Kamen Rider Black which has some visual nods in Evangelion, mostly some scenes with Seele. Lastly, if you just want my favs they're 555 and Drive :tongue:. You can read a synopsis of any of them and just grab whichever sounds cool though; both Kuuga and OOO are really popular as well.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”