Shin Eva-Official Social Media: 3.33 You Can (Not) Be Localized

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Shin Eva-Official Social Media: 3.33 You Can (Not) Be Localized

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:22 pm

SPOILER: Show

Ocam retweeted this masterpiece. Godly. I've been waiting for this frame of Kensuke since Mrch of last year. CHAD AS ALL HELL.
It hitted me with a bit of 2021 nostalgia :tongue:
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 Spoiler Fanart, Merchandise and Cosplay

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:33 am

View Original PostTB3 wrote:Looks like the community that Toji and Kensuke are a part of is based out of an old railway museum - it could be an actual depot, but there is a lot of vintage rolling-stock in view, including a steam locomotive

Necroreplying for this confirmation

From November 1st, 2022 (Tuesday) to January 31st, 2023 (Tuesday), the station name of Tenryu Futamata Station will be "Third Village"! ! During the period, we will sell a lot of "Evangelion Store" products, so please come by all means! !

This being where there's a Turn Table & Rail Museum
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:21 pm

I love all the collabs that Eva does with its irl locations
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 Spoiler Fanart, Merchandise and Cosplay

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:51 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Necroreplying for this confirmation

From November 1st, 2022 (Tuesday) to January 31st, 2023 (Tuesday), the station name of Tenryu Futamata Station will be "Third Village"! ! During the period, we will sell a lot of "Evangelion Store" products, so please come by all means! !

This being where there's a Turn Table & Rail Museum

I remember the Khara staff saying in interviews that the Tenryu Futamata Station was the inspiration for Village-3, and by curiosity I checked it on Google maps, and it turns out that it's not just an inspiration, it is the Tenryu Futamata Station!
https://imgur.com/fyluxxa

I wonder if it means that it wasn't just an inspiration and that canonically Village-3 is at this station, at the North of the city of Hamamatsu. Which means that Shinji, Asuka and Rei Q did a ~145km journey between the ruins of Tokyo-3 and Village-3 (~110km as the crow flies). I really wonder what got through the mind of the guy who decided that installing the Village that close to NERV HQ was a good idea. :rofl:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:21 am

Taking a look from the street view, this is the best offered -- there's an elevated highway section that might give a view closer to the movie screenshot, but it opened since the Google car last went by six years ago (which is a bit slack, compared with even the minor country roads around here being updated within months after road building programs)

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:51 pm

I always assumed the placement of the village wasn’t really a choice but a “necessity”, e.g. it was an area where the warding pillars are particularly effective.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:41 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:I always assumed the placement of the village wasn’t really a choice but a “necessity”, e.g. it was an area where the warding pillars are particularly effective.

Agreed, plus because neo-NERV had global attack capabilities, the only way to be safe was to stay out of Gendo and Fuyutsukis' crosshairs. The duo apparently just weren't very interested in attacking Kredit's network of villages regardless of proximity to their HQ.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:51 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:Agreed, plus because neo-NERV had global attack capabilities, the only way to be safe was to stay out of Gendo and Fuyutsukis' crosshairs. The duo apparently just weren't very interested in attacking Kredit's network of villages regardless of proximity to their HQ.

Having a village where most of the Wunder crew's family lives, has one of their pilots semi-regularly goes to rest (enough that she kept her box with her few belongings there) and also with WILLE's main research facility on core purification (which could let WILLE get more resources to fight NERV) is the opposite of staying out of their crosshair.

And sure, we know that Gendo and Fuyu needed the Wunder operational and Asuka alive for their plan, so they would had never attacked the village, but the people of WILLE didn't know that.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:21 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:Agreed, plus because neo-NERV had global attack capabilities, the only way to be safe was to stay out of Gendo and Fuyutsukis' crosshairs. The duo apparently just weren't very interested in attacking Kredit's network of villages regardless of proximity to their HQ.

I don't think Toji and the rest were staying in that village for the whole 14 years, plus, even if they were and NERV knew about them, I do think the containment pillars would be effective against NERV forces because it's implied through visuals that one of the nemesis series needed to knock out one of the pillars in the water using waves during the first half of 3.0 in order to reach Wunder still under construction.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:39 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:I don't think Toji and the rest were staying in that village for the whole 14 years, plus, even if they were and NERV knew about them, I do think the containment pillars would be effective against NERV forces because it's implied through visuals that one of the nemesis series needed to knock out one of the pillars in the water using waves during the first half of 3.0 in order to reach Wunder still under construction.

If only NERV had some aerial capabilities, like drones that could fly, jetpacks for their Evas or some sort of flying battleships to bypass the village's shield. :rolleyes:

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:37 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:If only NERV had some aerial capabilities, like drones that could fly, jetpacks for their Evas or some sort of flying battleships to bypass the village's shield. :rolleyes:

We see failures of infinity wave go triple or quadruple the size of the pillars at 1:38:31 mark of the movie so I assume the barrier is way way higher than it seems, probably spherical in shape, which it probably would need to be, otherwise the toxic atmosphere of L-barrier would seep in from the air above and kill all the people inside.
I also said NERV forces, which means Eva's with jetpacks and other angel/Eva related battleships are out of the question too.
I guess they could build normal helicopters or fighter jets at NERV but they would need real pilots since they don't seem to be able to use dummy system tech on normal tech, it looks like they need biological/sentient weaponry in order to create autonomous weaponry.
Fuyutsuki was able fly a battleship so maybe he could go on a suicide mission and kill few people in one of the villages with a fighter jet.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:24 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Having a village where most of the Wunder crew's family lives, has one of their pilots semi-regularly goes to rest (enough that she kept her box with her few belongings there) and also with WILLE's main research facility on core purification (which could let WILLE get more resources to fight NERV) is the opposite of staying out of their crosshair.

A different take on this: I recall that Ritsuko attributes neo-NERV's military activity to Fuyutsuki. We can speculate that Gendo gives Fuyutsuki this responsibility so that he can focus on more important stuff, like building Unit 13, getting new eyewear, etc. Maybe Fuyutsuki respects a distinction between combatants and noncombatants, and just doesn't want to murder villages full of civilians? I know neo-NERV as a whole doesn't care about this, but maybe Fuyutsuki is humane on his own.

Giji Shinka wrote:I don't think Toji and the rest were staying in that village for the whole 14 years, plus, even if they were and NERV knew about them, I do think the containment pillars would be effective against NERV forces because it's implied through visuals that one of the nemesis series needed to knock out one of the pillars in the water using waves during the first half of 3.0 in order to reach Wunder still under construction.

Where else would Toji and the rest have gone? I don't think WILLE would have evacuated them from the vicinity only to bring them back later to found a village on NERV HQ's doorstep. As for containment pillars being effective against NERV forces, do we have any evidence besides the pillar knock-out in 3.0? Seems far-fetched to me.
Last edited by nerv bae on Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:49 am

Since we see Eva-01 sealed inside Wunder with sealing symbols on it's "container", which are similar to the ones seen on the pillar, it's fair to assume that it works on other NERV Evas and the like and is able to subdue them/block their attacks.
And what other purpose would the shot of sealing pillar being knocked out would serve other than showcasing that NERV forces need to bypass them in order to reach Wunder? I guess they could be delivering it to some village but it's framed like they needed to bypass it with waves and if it didn't pose any threat, why didn't it just vaporize it like other allied fleet we see in the movie?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:06 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Since we see Eva-01 sealed inside Wunder with sealing symbols on it's "container", which are similar to the ones seen on the pillar, it's fair to assume that it works on other NERV Evas and the like and is able to subdue them/block their attacks.
And what other purpose would the shot of sealing pillar being knocked out would serve other than showcasing that NERV forces need to bypass them in order to reach Wunder? I guess they could be delivering it to some village but it's framed like they needed to bypass it with waves and if it didn't pose any threat, why didn't it just vaporize it like other allied fleet we see in the movie?

The sealing symbols could be simply to contain its core erosion radiation (Unit-02's robot arm quickly turned to core when directly exposed to the Wunder engine powered by Unit 01), and the pillar on the boat simply to purify the air for the ships' crews.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:59 pm

I browsed the official Evangelion account after seeing the tweet with the first images of -46h, and there's a tweet from January 6th about the last days of the Anno Expo:

And the fourth illustration caught my eye, since it's a concept art for 3.0 dated from 2012 (so the year of its release):

The two top ones are early concepts for Mark.09, the "A Type" and "B type" designations makes me think that those are its head at the beginning of the movie and when it transforms during Fourth Impact respectively. I find it interesting that the shape of the eyes on the "B Type" head is similar to Unit 08, I wonder if that was for when they still planed for it to be a special unit.

The other interesting image is the one at the bottom-left, it's Mark.06's head, but the label seems to indicate that it's actually Mark.07, and the line below mentions Mark.06. We would need some moonspeaker to translate what's written, but I think that this image could confirm what we already suspected: that the Mark.06 lookalikes in the first 3.0 NTP were Mark.07, and the concept was recycled into the skull-headed Evas we saw in the final version of Thrice.

And I have no idea what could be the Eva with a sort of Angel mask shaped helmet, I will need someone to translate the text for that.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:10 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:And I have no idea what could be the Eva with a sort of Angel mask shaped helmet, I will need someone to translate the text for that.

It reminds me of this:

The right one is from here:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:24 pm

^
Oh, so this thing with the Angel-mask face was a Failure of Infinity!

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:24 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I browsed the official Evangelion account after seeing the tweet with the first images of -46h, and there's a tweet from January 6th about the last days of the Anno Expo:
And the fourth illustration caught my eye, since it's a concept art for 3.0 dated from 2012 (so the year of its release):

Speaking as someone who spends a lot of time reading Eva concept art: it's dated 23rd August 2011, see top right.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:37 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:Speaking as someone who spends a lot of time reading Eva concept art: it's dated 23rd August 2011, see top right.

Good catch!
That lines up with the dates in the drafts of the early version of Q shown in the 3.333 blu-ray, and with the images posted by Jinroh it's clear that those are artworks for this early version of Q.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:10 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:The two top ones are early concepts for Mark.09, the "A Type" and "B type" designations makes me think that those are its head at the beginning of the movie and when it transforms during Fourth Impact respectively. I find it interesting that the shape of the eyes on the "B Type" head is similar to Unit 08, I wonder if that was for when they still planed for it to be a special unit.

Indeed the Japanese says "part A" and "part B" (in addition to the "type A" and "type B" headings), which strongly suggests "first half" and "second half" of the movie.
Further text is:
"Part A is like this. Kind of like an advanced Eva-00, the colouring too Eva-00-like, orange and gray."
"Part B is like this. It replaces the destroyed head part. Inherits the eyes of Eva-08."
(all translations mine)

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:The other interesting image is the one at the bottom-left, it's Mark.06's head, but the label seems to indicate that it's actually Mark.07, and the line below mentions Mark.06. We would need some moonspeaker to translate what's written, but I think that this image could confirm what we already suspected: that the Mark.06 lookalikes in the first 3.0 NTP were Mark.07, and the concept was recycled into the skull-headed Evas we saw in the final version of Thrice.

I think it reads: Eva-Mk.07シリーズはMark.06を継いだ感じ?"Eva-Mk.07 Series inherits the feel of Mark.06", so pretty much spot on.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:And I have no idea what could be the Eva with a sort of Angel mask shaped helmet, I will need someone to translate the text for that.

It says インフィニティイメージ "Infinity concept" (again, translation mine), so either that's what their heads looked before giving up the FoK, or they were meant to have that appearance all along before the "beheading theme" took hold. Looks more like an Eva-01 with the angel mask on than the 44B /4444C (headless, with an angel mask where the head would be, held by a wire. I was always intrigued by this theme in the neo-Nerv Evas, and the departure from "saucer shaped" MP Evas in the last movie...).

Side note on the Mark.09... I never really understood how it gets its head blown off so easily by Eva-08's handgun shots, even though afterwards it is always depicted as being pretty much indestructible —even before "awakening": remember Mari's dialogue when she "snipes" it, and the ineffectiveness of the rounds at making any damage.

Perhaps the initial head we see was not the Mark.09's head morphed into the Eva-00 appearance, but just an attachment, a mechanical part made of regular materials (not core), and the actual head was in a "pulled in" state to make room. Durung the final act of the movie, the Mark.09 does not "regrow" a head, but it just pulls its actual head out (doesn't explain why they waited until 4I/unit awakening to do so though...).

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”