Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:38 pm

Come to think of it, the film doesn't have a single "normal" screening day. It premiered during an emergency period with limited seatings and decreased operational hour for theaters which isn't good for a film with long runtime as there'd be even less screenings in a day, it took a few boost like the Last Run campaign but being able to cross 10 billion is quite a feat.

Oh, it's currently the highest-grossing domestic release of 2021 in Japan! I don't know how long it'd stay like that, the only film that I think could topple it is Jujutsu Kaisen 0 but that one's planned to release on December 24, the year's tail end, so there's a chance Shin could really end up staying in that position for the remainder of the year!
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:23 am

For Jujutsu Kaisen 0 to make 10 billion in a week would set it on a track to beat even Demon Slayer, and I don't know if that's even remotely possible.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:27 am

youre right, this is even more impressive when you consider the lockdown circumstances
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:51 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:For Jujutsu Kaisen 0 to make 10 billion in a week would set it on a track to beat even Demon Slayer, and I don't know if that's even remotely possible.

JJK is HUGE and has the potential to be another massive hit for Toho but you're right, even if it crossed 10 billion at some point usually they'd group November-December releases to the next year, see Stand by Me Doraemon 2 being in the list despite being a November 2020 film.

Anyway, compiling the list of achievements Shin Eva made with this:
- The first ever Toei-distributed work to reach 10 Billion Yen.
- Studio Khara's first ever 10 Billion Yen release.
- First ever science-fiction/mecha anime movie to reach 10 Billion Yen. You got your wish fulfilled, Anno!
- The second franchise anime movie to surpass 10 Billion Yen. (The first being Demon Slayer, of course)
- Hideaki Anno being the sixth Japanese director ever to have a 10 Billion Yen film in his filmography. (Good ol' Hayao Miyazaki is currently the record holder for a director with most films that surpass 10 billion, with a total of five)

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:59 am

In a way I'm sort of surprised that Evangelion isn't doing better, especially since Eva is culturally iconic in a way that JJK and Demon Slayer are not. Or is that simply because it released during the worst of the pandemic?

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:- Hideaki Anno being the sixth Japanese director ever to have a 10 Billion Yen film in his filmography. (Good ol' Hayao Miyazaki is currently the record holder for a director with most films that surpass 10 billion, with a total of five)

Miyazaki must be proud of him. Assuming that Shin Kamen Rider frees up Khara's animation department, I guess Anno might have room to help Miyazaki finish off his final project. It would be good for the two of them to get together (probably for the last time considering Miyazaki's age).
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:36 pm

Saw this on my feed. It's just neat to see how much larger the attendance for the final film has been compared to the first three.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:30 am

Shin Evangelion has ended its theatrical run with an estimated value of 10.246 Billion Yen at the box office.

As of July 21, most theaters are retiring the film's showtimes in favor of new ones after becoming a domestic box office sensation for four months. There's still a few theaters screening it with very limited showtimes so as far as the euphoria goes, this is indeed the end. It was a very nerve-wracking journey especially the days leading up to 10 Billion Yen, but nevertheless it was a fun one! One day I'll look back and think fondly of all the fun BO reportings and discussions we have here.

Less than a month left until the rest of the world catches up on finally being able to see this film!

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:38 am

Indeed, as a box office enthusiast AND an Evangelion fan, it's not often that two of my interests combine like this. Following Shin Eva has been as fun as following Avengers Endgame Avatar and other huge box office record breakers. It's always sad when it gets to the end though!

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:32 am

Not gonna lie, I am not really interested in box office in general, but with Shin I have been heavily invested in this whole journey, waiting to see the results everyday. It has been one hell of a ride and I enjoyed it. Before the movie opened in the theater, I would have never expected Shin to go over 10 billion, so what an achievement.
Also sprach Zarathustra

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:24 pm

If that estimate is right, that places Shin Eva at 35th spot right below The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King!

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:08 am

Official final number by Khara is 10.22 Billion.
Also sprach Zarathustra

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”