Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Dragon Mask
Lilith

Re: Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:23 pm

So what is the actual record they're trying to beat? Is it top earning theatrical box office run for an animated film? Because total revenue still seems far below Your Name, Demon Slayer, Spirited Away, etc. going off of Wikipedia.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:24 pm

They are trying to go over 10 billion yen.
Also sprach Zarathustra

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:06 pm

If it ever crossed that number, it'll be the first ever 10 Billion Yen mecha anime movie.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:29 pm

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:They are trying to go over 10 billion yen.

Thanks, although I know 10 billion is the goal, just not the significance of it.

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:If it ever crossed that number, it'll be the first ever 10 Billion Yen mecha anime movie.

Alright gotcha, so basically it'd be a big deal just for mecha anime? I guess that's impressive considering you'd think maybe a Gundam movie would be higher. What's the current record holder then, what are they trying to beat?

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:47 pm

View Original PostThe Dragon Mask wrote:Alright gotcha, so basically it'd be a big deal just for mecha anime? I guess that's impressive considering you'd think maybe a Gundam movie would be higher. What's the current record holder then, what are they trying to beat?

I think it's less of beating previous mecha anime record, and more about 10 billion being a symbolic number that this is the first mecha anime to reach it.
As far as I know mecha anime movies don't do well on box office, and I think the previous record is held by Eva 3.0 which was like 5.3 billion?

The most recent Gundam movie, Hathaway, recently crossed 1.5 billion which was a huge record... it was first gundam movie to cross 1 billion mark since 33 years ago. It just shows how weak this genre is in the boxoffice. It's mostly about "10 billion" being very symbolic number.
Also sprach Zarathustra

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:03 pm

Keep in mind too that Khara is a relatively small studio compared to some others, so hitting a milestone like that is tremendously important for them. It further cements them as one of the major players, which would help them with getting projects made in the future.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:09 pm

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:Keep in mind too that Khara is a relatively small studio compared to some others, so hitting a milestone like that is tremendously important for them. It further cements them as one of the major players, which would help them with getting projects made in the future.

Yeah. This situation is pretty important for Khara as a studio. The economic benefits and the attention received could be very beneficial for the study.

That said, I doubt it would make Khara a mayor player, since this success is still pretty dependent on Evangelion franchise.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:41 pm

There's a very good article that talks about Shin Eva and Gundam Hathaway's different ways of achieving success that you can read here, although Eva indeed won by a landslide in terms of raw theatrical box office achievement.
Konja7 wrote:That said, I doubt it would make Khara a mayor player, since this success is still pretty dependent on Evangelion franchise.

With Shin Ultraman coming either later this year or sometimes next year and Shin Kamen Rider being planned to release in 2023, I think Khara has become quite a formidable production house with how they're trusted to co-produce two legacy titles and it's not impossible that they'd spun off their own cinematic sub-series, that'd make it a unique studio that produces both animation and live-action titles. Although I sincerely hope they won't stuck with remaking/rebooting established brands, there's a lot of extremely talented in-house names and I want something original like The Dragon Dentist, the post-Eva period should be the proving ground for them.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:58 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Yeah. This situation is pretty important for Khara as a studio. The economic benefits and the attention received could be very beneficial for the study.

That said, I doubt it would make Khara a mayor player, since this success is still pretty dependent on Evangelion franchise.

It’s certainly a major milestone on its way, even if it was dependent on Eva. Surely they will branch out to other things now that NTE has ended having used NTE to bring it some prestige. It means a lot for the studio, regardless.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:13 am

Damn.... after 1st stage event today it's already 0.075 yen today which makes it 9.93 billion right now.
There is a second stage event later today so 10 billion might be a lot sooner than expected.
Also sprach Zarathustra

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:31 am

Oof, bad weather is disturbing the signal for live broadcast in some theaters and they're still trying to fix it. Still, it has a shot to cross 100 million for today alone and that's just insane.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:33 am

The official numbers by yesterday was 9.88 billion, which is .02 billion higher than the eigarnaking estimate.

it's almost there...
Also sprach Zarathustra

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:53 am

According to Taroimo's approximation, THEY DID IT! SHIN EVA HAS SURPASSED 10 BILLION YEN!

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:16 am

Congratulations!!
Hopefully we will be able to get official PR statement Monday morning.
Also sprach Zarathustra

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:00 am

Everything has proceeded according to Anno's scenario.

I'm eager to hear that official statement myself. The meet-and-greet did its job perfectly.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:14 am

Hot damn, they did it! I had my doubts, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see Evangelion 3.0+1.0 do this well. I'm sure everyone at Khara feels that this is a very nice feather to have in their caps.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:46 am

Holy moly, that's actually impressive. Congratulations to everyone involved! 10 billion yen is an actual substantial number (not only for mecha stuff, but anime movies in general).
After reading xenosaga's post, I actually found myself wondering if I would write something before Khara hit its goal or not. That's because I knew it would happen today. It apparently did (around four hours later). That's interesting. Japanese fans are certainly committed.
Well, with the advent of the internet and the popularization of anime through it, this was just a matter of time. Still, it's nice to see the last Evangelion film hitting its ultimate goal. Death, JO and, especially, EOE are all topnotch film experiences. Unfortunately, they were bonded by their time limitations in this regard.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:18 am

Current estimation, 10.19 Billion Yen with a whopping 135 Million Yen on Sunday! We'll probably getting an official announcement sometimes at morning or noon tomorrow.

As of now, it's currently in the elite top 10 highest-grossing anime movies mostly ruled by Ghibli and Shinkai. Aside from Eva which is currently at the 9th rank, only Detective Conan: The Fist of Blue Sapphire (10th rank, 9.37 Billion Yen) and Demon Slayer: Mugen Train (1st rank, 40.13 Billion Yen) are the franchise representatives in the list, as well as being the only mecha/science fiction title. Funnily, Eva is right below The Wind Rises (12.02 Billion Yen) which stars Anno as the voice of its main character. :lol:
Last edited by GhostlyOcam on Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:23 am

Congratulations! :penpen_bravo:
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:54 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Hot damn, they did it! I had my doubts, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see Evangelion 3.0+1.0 do this well. I'm sure everyone at Khara feels that this is a very nice feather to have in their caps.

Not to be a downer, but I doubt it matters to the low paid animators how much money the film makes. May be Evangelion, but it's still plagued by the same issues as the rest of the industry. Of course we don't really know what it's like working at Khara, but if I recall the job postings from around 4 years ago weren't exactly lucrative.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”