Amazon Prime's English Dub (General)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Amazon Prime English Dub Cast

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:39 am

I prefer they used the ADV cast as otherwise it's gonna really weird and jarring if you own blu rays 1.111 to 3.333 then for the final its suddenly a different cast as that can really alienate people.

My perfect scenario would be they let the old cast finish what they started, release the final blu ray then let the Netflix cast do their re-dub of all four new movies then release a new Blu ray set with both dubs then everyone is kept happy.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:19 pm

At the end of the day, it is up to Khara but we are talking about two separate competing streaming platforms, where amazon releases won't feature on Netflix and vice versa. Based on this assumption, it doesn't seem likely that the Netflix cast will be involved, since Netflix was tied with Khara for the re-dub but then Khara suddenly turned to Amazon for the release of the final film. Having two dubs for a blu-ray release seems excessive, and I don't think Netflix did such a great job to merit Khara/Amazon re-using them. For the sake of continuity of the previous DVD releases, having only the old cast members, usually considered as the OG dubbers, would make the most sense.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:50 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:
SPOILER: Show
I prefer they used the ADV cast as otherwise it's gonna really weird and jarring f you own blu rays 1.111 to 3.333 then for the final its suddenly a different cast as that can really alienate people.

My perfect scenario would be they let the old cast finish what they started, release the final blu ray then let Netflix cast do there re-dub of all four new movies then release a new Blu ray set with both dubs then everyone is kept happy.

This is what I hope happens as it would be VERY weird, jarring, and freaky if they randomly decided to replace the main cast members for the FINAL movie in a series especially when there will always be people that won't even watch the dub and stick with subs. I for one am super partial when it comes to this series as I grew up watching this series with the ADV/Funimation cast and literally the moment I heard someone's voice come out of Shinji (no offense to Casey Mongillo) my brain went, "NOPE, GOING BACK TO SUBS" and it's that way for a lot of other people. Spike Spencer, Tiffany Grant, and Alison Keith are so ingrained into older fan's brains as the voice of these characters that having someone else do them without any sort of preview can alienate those people. If we find out they let Spike and friends do one last run with the characters, then I'll totally be a happy llama but if not then it won't be that big of a deal to me and I'll watch it subbed.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:15 pm

Not sure how much of a role audience alienation will play in a new dub, or whether the new voices turn out to be ones we get used to. I've heard Spike as Shinji enough times to think of him as Shinji's English voice but that didn't stop me from hearing Casey as Shinji and going "Wow, I really like the new Shinji!"

I know that Production I.G. insisted that Funimation use an entirely new dub voice cast in Ghost in the Shell: Arise, which they did, but they still managed to get Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Kusanagi's original and rather iconic English dub voice, to play Kurutsu. I don't know if we'll land up with a similar situation for the Shin Eva dub. (Yes, I know Arise's Japanese cast was new too, but that's beside the point)

View Original PostArcher wrote:Netflix has nothing to do with it since they weren’t the ones that dubbed it anyways, they just got the distribution rights. So I don’t think the Rebuilds being distro’d through Amazon are indicative of which dub cast is being used.

I know that Netflix doesn't do it themselves, but if the movies were being distributed by Netflix I think it likely that Netflix would turn to the same dubbing group - familiarity, existing contracts, and all of that sort of stuff. How Netflix and Amazon work with dubbing companies, whom they have contracts with, or how Khara would influence the dub process this time around are things in which I am really not sure. All I know is that the key decisions influencing the current dub and distribution arrangements for the franchise are under Non-Disclosure Agreements for Khara, Netflix and Amazon, and won't come out unless the parties involved agree to it.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:52 pm

View Original Postbobgoesw00t wrote:This is what I hope happens as it would be VERY weird, jarring, and freaky if they randomly decided to replace the main cast members for the FINAL movie in a series

The only reason I bring this up is I heard an anime series in the 90's did this S1 were dubbed by one cast but S2 by another, and it affected the re-watch badly in the long term and meant the anime slipped in to obscurity with everyone waiting on a reboot. So there are very real consequences on changing cast in the long term.

EDIT : (I'll add what that anime was when I find it)
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:20 pm

For what it's worth, I checked out the FUNimation twitter to see if they even acknowledged the announcement. They did not (Crunchyroll did though). I'd say it's safe to assume that FUNimation has nothing to do with Eva anymore, and I'd doubt Amazon would receive the rights to the dubs for the first three films. (Has it actually been confirmed those will have dubs on Prime?)

However, I have no idea what it means for who can be apart of the dub. I don't think the big three that people seemed to be attached to are bound to contract by FUNimation, so it doesn't rule them out completely. The fact that Spencer is tweeting about Shinji does point to him returning, otherwise he certainly risks disappointing his fans if that's not the case.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:40 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:The fact that Spencer is tweeting about Shinji does point to him returning, otherwise he certainly risks disappointing his fans if that's not the case.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true...even more so as I feel like he's been trolling/teasing us about this for a while now. First posting a photo of him in front of a recording mic, then the video where he just HAPPENS to be wearing a t-shirt with the gay space Jesus (which probably is just a coincidence xD) and now the whole "what would you ask Shinji?" thing.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:48 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:
I stepped in to clear up any misunderstandings about what Blockio meant because that reply to him seemed condescending, and I was clear that I was giving the user the benefit of doubt. Blockio is not alone in holding that opinion. I should also add that the board staff are as welcome to hold and express their opinions as any other user, and that a member of the staff expressing their opinions does not render contrary opinions invalid.

Furthermore, I was quite explicit that others don't share this opinion and I never suggested that everyone here should hold it. Neither was it meant to be condescending or demeaning to those who like the English dub. I'm afraid you've taken offense where absolutely none was meant.

Feel free to prioritize whatever is significant to you, just remember that others do not share that priority and that expressing it does not cast down what you like. If you believe that the original English dub was meaningful to you, by all means, let it be that way.

I apologize for the harshness of my post if you were not meaning to come across as you did. As someone who is in charge of other online communities, I take care and make a priority to create a welcoming environment to anyone wishing to participate in discussion and who may or may not share the same views as myself or the majority. Your post came across as very gate keeping to me, with emphasis placed on an English dub not deserving of high priority and that the quality of the Japanese version makes discussion of other versions insignificant. While board staff of course can hold and express their opinions as any other user, they still need to be cognizant of their position and what their language represents in terms of discourse. If one's superior expresses an opinion that can be construed as invalidating that of a colleague, and then when pushed back against another superior does the same thing, it gives the impression of trying to control and shape the overall direction of discussion. Given other users were given the same impression by your post, I feel this is worth taking into consideration.
Archer wrote:Personally I’d be very surprised if it was dubbed by Funimation, and rumors suggest they HAVE went back and re-dubbed the first three movies. I suppose it’s possible that they put together a new cast and independently contracted some of the old VA’s (I dunno enough about the dubbing industry, are VA’s tied to the studios they work for? I assume they’d be able to take independent work as well). But either way we’ll find out soon enough.

It is not common for English voice actors to be directly tied to a studio, and the voice acting industry as a whole is not financially viable enough to make doing so advisable. Though relationships forged naturally see to individuals working with corporations that have given them work previously, resulting in a stable of actors who are associated with a particular studio. Worth noting, while often synonymous with Funimation for these reasons, Funimation does not dub their work in house, but use the studio Okratron5000 for most of their English dub work, occasionally outsourcing to other studios from time to time as well such as when they contracted Ocean to dub the third set of episodes in the Black Lagoon series. More relevant to this discussion, Okratron5000 does receive work from other clients besides Funimation such as video game companies like Bandai Namco and Gearbox Software, so it's possible that Amazon or Khara could work with them independently of Funimation. Also relevant, the actors in question have a track record of working with various dubbing studios as well. Spike Spencer for example while working with Okratron5000 on Evangelion, also works with studios like Studiopolis and Bang Zoom on titles like Bleach and Doraemon. So they could participate in the English dubbing of 3.0+1.0 even if both Funimation and Okratron5000 were not involved. The least likely scenario would be if the new movie was dubbed by VSI, the company that is often outsourced to by Netflix and was therefore responsible for the 2019 dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Death(true)2, and The End of Evangelion; though of course it's not impossible given Spike was apparently allowed to audition by VSI at some point during the process. But in that scenario it'd be far more likely VSI would use the same cast they did the first time, unless something had changed from that initial dub (which of course is always possible).
silvermoonlight wrote:My perfect scenario would be they let the old cast finish what they started, release the final blu ray then let Netflix cast do there re-dub of all four new movies then release a new Blu ray set with both dubs then everyone is kept happy.

This would be my preferred outcome as well, with the "ADV"/"Manga"/"FUNimation"/"Amazon" dubs being one option and the "Netflix"/"Amazon" dubs being another. Perhaps excessive to an outsider, but also fairly common within the anime industry (see FUNimation's release of Escaflowne, Rightstuf's release of Gundam Seed, or Discotek's release of The Castle of Cagliostro).

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:03 pm

When do you expect to find out the dub cast? The day the movie drops or a few weeks before?

JB2448
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JB2448 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:58 pm

The day the movie drops, just like how it was with the Netflix release.

I think they'll have VSI handle the English dub with the Netflix cast not just with 3.0+1.01, but for the first 3 New Theatrical Edition films as well. That way, the new cast will have dubbed everything.

I expect the same treatment for the English subtitles of all 4 movies as well, with Dan Kanemitsu doing all of them.
Do a barrel roll!

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:19 pm

People very often forget that the ADV cast in fact varied between multiple casts - some characters, like Gendo, had one for the OA episodes and one for the DCs and D&R, EoE, Kaworu has one for the OA episodes, one for the DCs, one for D&R/EoE AND one for the Rebuilds, totalling FIVE different characters including his Netflix VA. Many people refer to ADV as "the original", not even getting into the merit that it is already an adaptation of the Japanese (or Manga Entertainment actually being responsible for EoE), but even the Rebuild dubs under Funimation used only Spike as Shinji, Tiffany as Asuka, Allison as Misato, and John Swasey, the Gendo from the DCs. I recall reading that Amanda had a very negative reaction in 2007 when she wasn't recast to play Rei in 1.0. Funi already replaced almost everyone, particularly the secondary and tertiary characters.

Either way. There are a bunch of legacy issues regarding the ADV adaptation (inaccuracy and creative liberties, many disputes with Gainax at the time, even a legal battle over the dead Live Action project, and later ADV itself going defunct) and Funi's too (mostly their terrible 3.0 dub that delayed the Blurei release by years). After Netflix got the licence - and there are still rumours that Amazon Prime in fact has acquired NGE/EoE/D&R, the Funimation president complained publicly. Something you guys probably don't know, as dub drama is something I see almost exclusively in the English-speaking fandom, is that dubs in other languages retained their latest, Rebuild cast (save for a handful of minor alterations, as it sometimes happens. Asuka's Latin Spanish VA sadly passed away some years ago.). Yet Khara chose an entirely new cast on their own, according to the dub director and neo-Misato - she even deleted her tweet, probably realizing it should have stayed secret.

This is why I've been maintaining for years that the Netflix/VSI cast is here to stay - I should say, even as someone that, at the time of the announcement, actually sorta campaigned for Tiffany et al to stay, hehe. But I prioritize accuracy.

The old English localization of Eva is far too problematic, and to some degree more notable to international audiences than many others - Portuguese also had 2 NGE dubs (not just the DCs), but the problems you had in those were minuscule compared to ADV's. Again, they also retained their cast for NTE [i]and[/i Netflix. So while I strongly doub that GKIDS, for instance, is going to feature the ADV dubs, I'd also be inclined to think Casey, Stephanie, Ryan etc will be featured in the English Shin dub as well... except for the fact that Khara already had more influence on Funi, and might be okay with Spike, Tiffany and Brina on the last film for the sake of consistency. But for any future Eva works? Yeah, the VSI cast is the Khara cast now. Likewise, Kanemitsu is almost certainly handling the translation itself again.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:05 am

If the Netflix cast Thanos-snaps the ADV cast out of existence, the weird thing is that the former is mostly doing impressions of the latter. Like, the goal seems to be to trick an uniformed viewer that the new dub is exactly same as the old one. The Netflix cast aren't at all doing their own thing, so it would be really strange if the "bootleg" replaces the originators.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:27 am

On the Evangelion subreddit, u/JordanTaylorHill28 posted this and I thought I should share it here:

"An email that was sent out by spike spencer if your apart of his emailing list for news about anything going in in his world, also has some info on the Amazon release of evangelion 3.0+1.0 dubs. Thought it was worth sharing."

Wall of pics hidden - staff

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:06 am

Congrats to Spike for his new child!

Anyway, on Dub business. I've been an avid Dub and Sub watcher for years now. I love both equally, so yeah the Netflix Dub was a surprise, and I didn't particularly think it was overly great. Not bad, just eh.

For 3.0+1.01, I really do hope it is, for the most part, the Funimation cast. Let them finish what they started, let them go out with a bang. Mostly for consistency, but also because the first time I watched Evangelion, that cast was who I heard (Yeah, I watched the Rebuilds first. Fun, right?) So, I'd like for my preferred cast to finish what they started. If not, then I might give it a watch once and stick to the sub.

If it's VSI's cast though, and they redub the first three as well, then it might feel a bit petty by Khara, and furthermore to me thinking why it wasn't just the Funi cast for the redub. Personally, I don't think the first three need redubs either, Dubbed Eva is at its absolute peak with the Rebuilds I think, great performances with a great script (Even if 3.33 has some weird stilted dialogue occasionally...). Can't wait for the release anyway!

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:59 am

If Spencer is telling the truth that he hasn’t heard about the dub yet, he’s probably not in it, because it’s likely already done.

I also object to the claim that the VSI cast is just doing impressions and aren’t doing their own thing. They are totally different in most aspects. Mongillo especially sounds nothing at all like Spencer (which is good).

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:12 am

Problem is even if he has done it he can't say anything till release as they have to sign an agreement to be quite till release, but my money is on it being possible as Tiffany on her face book group is being very coy.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2405597801/posts/10160988643542802/

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:24 am

Seems we're not going to know till next month, but is it just some 4D chess games or if they weren't a part of it they would be able to say so? I guess not since they couldn't say so when Netflix was redubbing.

I'd like to see the main voices return but I'm not terribly fussed either way. I have a weird relationship with the Rebuild dub. 1.11 and 2.22 I'm most used to dubbed and think they did a great job, but 3.33 I'm more used to the sub but think that the dub wasn't too great.

Also on the Netflix topic I think that they're process is to hire someone or a studio to hire VA's. In a clip with Peter Cullen and Frank Welker (Optimus Prime and Megatron) Peter said that they were not approached for the recent Netlfix Transformers series as they wouldn't work with unionised voice actors. That would make me believe that they at least lay out the rules/budget for dubbing, which seems to be as cheap as possible really.

Hooded_Omar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hooded_Omar » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:52 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Problem is even if he has done it he can't say anything till release as they have to sign an agreement to be quite till release, but my money is on it being possible as Tiffany on her face book group is being very coy.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2405597801/posts/10160988643542802/

Could you kindly share a screenshot of the post? I don't have a FB account and it won't let me view the post without logging in.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:22 am

View Original PostHooded_Omar wrote:Could you kindly share a screenshot of the post? I don't have a FB account and it won't let me view the post without logging in.

For anyone who can't see this, by coy I mean she is being super quiet, which is just not like her. Someone also pointed out all the other three films are coming to prime as well, which I didn't realize, which is all the more reason why they'd want continuity. As the reviews will point out, the sudden change on landing if they shift voice cast as most people will want to do a complete rewatch, so they can analyse and review the final along with the other three movies for complete context.

Though this thread is about Prime all four films are also showing on google play but not out yet to buy which makes me wonder if they will get them after Amazon along with Netflix. (Who could then do their redub)

https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/Evangelion_3_0_1_0_Thrice_Upon_a_Time?id=568CEC47F1C79057MV&hl=en_US&gl=US

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:41 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote: For anyone who can't see this, by coy I mean she is being super quiet, which is just not like her. Someone also pointed out all the other three films are coming to prime as well, which I didn't realize, which is all the more reason why they'd want continuity. As the reviews will point out, the sudden change on landing if they shift voice cast as most people will want to do a complete rewatch, so they can analyse and review the final along with the other three movies for complete context.

The same insider who claimed the film had already been dubbed in January in a bunch of languages (which appears to have been true, though we don’t TECHNICALLY know when these dubs were finished) also claimed that they were currently (at the time) working on re-dubbing the first three films. It’s been months since then so it’s likely they’ve finished or are close to wrapping up if it were true.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”