Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Shin Evangelion beats franchise record for the first day at the box office

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Tue May 04, 2021 12:45 pm

Yeah, that's why I only put it as a link instead of also embedding the Tweet like usual (although I probably should've put a warning too)
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed May 05, 2021 4:08 am

Since it's not that big of a spoiler and a warning of its being such was given, I don't think this is that bad.

Bloodtypeblue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bloodtypeblue » Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 am

The warning was inserted later by moderator. The thumbnail looked generic. I wasn't aware it is considered as a spoiler. I apologise.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun May 09, 2021 1:58 am

Thanks to the good performance over the Golden Week, the film is getting yet another extended period of IMAX/4DX re-screenings. Words on the streets seem to indicate that Conan doesn't really perform that well in those formats compared to Eva, so they give the screens back.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu May 13, 2021 11:22 am

I hope we don't have to wait for Shin to eventually crawl to 10 billion for news on an international release because it's really not gonna happen anything "soon", unless the gifts coming next week really help it.

I searched a bit and I found the precise numbers (only missing the exact number of ticket sold last week)

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:58 pm

The Last Run campaign is no joke, Shin Eva is back at weekend top spot, easily beating every single competitors including the newly-released Gundam Hathaway.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:08 am

A 9,215% increase on last week's performance?!
Whew. Never seen that before. Would be curious to know what % of these viewers were diehard fans who have seen the film multiple times (likely a very high number) and what % is people who saw the film once back in March and are just revisiting it for the second time now (also likely very high).

It feels very likely the film will cross 9 billion this weekend. I wonder how high the film will go?

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:48 am

Afternoon numbers are in and Hathaway is gaining footing.

This kind of event seems to rely a lot on frontloading so I think it depends on how well the momentum holds over the weekend, lots of cinemas have sold out screenings so perhaps 9 billion yen is *possible* by Monday. Still, a pretty crazy bump, the terrifying power of EVA-EXTRA-EXTRA.

UPDATE:
Aaaand there we go, 8.8 billion yen! 9 billion is for sure locked tomorrow.

xenosaga
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby xenosaga » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:41 am

9 Billion seems to be locked now. But I feel they are really pushing for 10 billion and it still looks out of reach...
Also sprach Zarathustra

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:55 am

It's currently midnight in Japan and there are already sold out screenings lol, this account is doing the God's work of monitoring theaters. Some theater websites are also going down because too many people are trying to access and reserve tickets from them.

About 10 billion, it really depends on the momentum, but the main attraction of this Last Run campaign is obviously that free booklet you get if you see the film and judging by the insane boost just for today alone, it's still not completely out of reach (it has a total of 1 million copies, by the way). This thing is so popular it even has its own hashtag by fans; #シンエヴァの薄い本 ("Shin Eva's small book").

It kinda feels like an obvious maneuver to get people back to theaters but man, it really did the trick. :kaji_nya:

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:19 pm

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:it really did the trick. :kaji_nya:

And total of zero people are surprised hahaha! All week I saw people on Twitter going crazy over these new "prizes". It's a pretty good deal. You're watching a "new version" of a good movie and getting some stuff for "free". If I lived in Japan, I would probably go back to theaters. To be fair, the new illustrations are beautiful and -120min is a really solid/fun little manga (considering its scope). The level of care here truly speaks for itself.
Let's see if they can keep the momentum going. I believe it's possible for the movie to hit the hundred million dollar mark! I'm just not sure if it's going to be a "walk in the park" or not...
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:48 pm

They tried once a month ago with the Rei pamphlet but I guess that wasn't enough to inject more hype so they were like "Aye yo, screw it" and drop a booklet full of new illustrations and a one-shot manga, that's as valuable as collector's items get.

3.0+1.01 is funnily just a "bonus" here although not surprising with how minor the changes are (Nuke already covered it to some extent in the waiting thread), the new Dolby Atmos screenings only screen the original 3.0+1.0 version by the way.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:23 pm

GhostlyOcam wrote:They tried once a month ago with the Rei pamphlet but I guess that wasn't enough

Yeah. I remember thinking that just throwing Ayanami into a pamphlet would be enough. That wasn't the case, though. I actually saw a lot of people who chose to frame Asuka's side over Ayanami's (even though it features the same drawing as the original flyer, but bigger and with Miyamura's autograph on its side). Anyway, that's good if you think about it! Now we got even more pictures to look at hahaha!
As for 3.0 + 1.01, I'm honestly not surprised. I mean, Khara literally said that this was not going to be a new cut of the movie, or something. That's why I wrote "new version". It actually reminds me of 1.01 (which is fitting, I guess).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:26 am

8.9 billion yen, so damn close! :misato_nani:

It's actually doing better than Saturday (123 million VS 134 million) and beating the newly-released Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning for today's 2nd best performing film. Taroimo also noted there's a rare case of the film simply not having enough screens to accomodate all patrons for the day, I guess that implies there's a lot of walk-in audience too.

Will they add more screens this week after the massive weekend boost? :rei_question:

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:12 pm

View Original Postxenosaga wrote:9 Billion seems to be locked now. But I feel they are really pushing for 10 billion and it still looks out of reach...

Looking at the data...I agree that 10 billion is probably out of reach. :emogendo:

There's nothing wrong with Khara chasing the dream though. Releasing an altered cut while still in theatres alongside a one-off manga with Asuka on the cover is a pretty great idea to ensure the film keeps drawing.
Don't be.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:52 pm

Xenoblade wrote:Looking at the data...I agree that 10 billion is probably out of reach. :emogendo:

With the new version doing so well I think it actually might be too early to call. I think we'll know by next weekend if 10 billion is impossible depending on how the film does over the weekdays. The new version is doing wonders for ticket sales. It added over a quarter billion to their grosses in two days and according to that one account keeping track of sales even upcoming weekday showings are selling out entirely. Some theaters are adding more screens to accommodate the demand. If they don't hit 10 billion they're gonna get damn close.

Of course the funniest thing is if Khara is truly dead-set on 10 billion and the 3.0+1.01 version takes the total box office up to like 9.8 billion there really isn't no reason they couldn't announce Evangelion 3.03+1.01, a new NEW version of the film with a few new updated shots and one new scene. The new poster variation for that could be the cast on the beach at night after the sun has gone down.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:07 pm

View Original PostXenoblade wrote:Looking at the data...I agree that 10 billion is probably out of reach. :emogendo:

Well, they could always release another manga (this time with focus on Neo-Nerv). And a new poster at the night.

They could definitely reach 10 million that way.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:36 pm

All right, you two have convinced me! I hope they can manage it, and it would definitely be a huge point of pride for them to pull that off, right at home in their domestic market.
Don't be.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:18 pm

If they released another short manga, I know I would absolutely be at the theater again to go see it, and I hypothesize there are a lot of fans in Japan who feel the same way. (After all, they already managed to pack theaters with that trick once-- who's to say it wouldn't work again, particularly if it's for new content?)

ProcopiousJones
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ProcopiousJones » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:21 pm

We'll see what happens with the initial success of this promotion to get people back in the theaters again; However, I don't think they would be lying and that this is the final stretch of 3.0 + 1.0(1) in Japanese cinemas.
Last edited by ProcopiousJones on Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is Shin but just a bone in our bodies.

It might have broken a few times...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”