Evangelion Pic Thread 11: Mari's Middlesex Manor of Mayhem and Fantabulous Foppery

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ArtyumR
Adam

Re: Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 Spoiler Fanart, Merchandise and Cosplay

•      
  •      

Postby ArtyumR » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:43 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#923925 wrote:Rei Q is an extension of Rei II, that's why the later would inherits the memories (if she didn't experience it all at the same time). However, at the same time, Rei Q is her own person with her own personality and development.

PS: According to Rei's seiyuu, Rei Q has a different tone of voice from Rei II, because she is her own person (even though Rei Q and Rei II are both Rei Ayanami).

"good writing" my ass... You can't have your cake and eat it.

royabr121
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby royabr121 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:06 am

"good writing" my ass... You can't have your cake and eat it.

I must agree. In general, it looks to me like the Rebuild movies lacked both vision and direction when it came to what they wanted to be and what their ultimate goal was. The preview at the end of 2.0? That was originally supposed to be the actual movie, but was then changed to 3.0 as we know it. Another example would be Mary: not even the writers knew who she was and where she came from - that was only decided for 3.0+1.0. Even Anno had no idea who she was and simply decided to let the other writers decide that as they went along with the production. There was no agency to her character because she had no motives, no personality beyond the eccentric manic pixie girl routine.

Also, it is quite apparent to me that Shinji's role and responsibility in regards to N3I and A3I were changed between 3.0 and 3.0+1.0, and while people definitely blamed him for the N3I and A3I in 3.0, it is very clear they changed that in 3.0+1.0 to just N3I, which only makes WILLE look even more incompetent and unsympathetic then before. Hell, it appears Kaji Sr. was not supposed to be dead for 3.0+1.0 originally since Takao talks about him like he had met him no more than a few weeks ago by the time of Wunder's first battle. Asuka's anger, as explained by 3.0+1.0, makes no sense: so you were angry he "did not want to take responsibility"? really? So had he followed his orders and euthanized you, you would have been fine with it? What kind of idiotically anime-like reason is this for holding a grudge for 14 years?

The world-building is also a major sign that both Anno and the writers dropped the ball: how the hell did WILLE survive 14 years against NERV and SEELE considering the vast, vast difference in power between them? NERV builds Evangelions by the hundreds and WILLE has only the sea worthy Wunder, Unit-02 and Unit-08. Also, how can NERV muster so many resources for Evangelions when it it was established that they were enormous money pits in 1.0 and 2.0? Who the hell pays for all of this? Did SEELE posses extremely advanced engineering and automated mass production capabilities they simply did not share with the rest of humanity, considering they might as well be aliens? Were they doing so deliberately to weaken humanity? We don't get any answers to that.
And why the hell did they not exterminate any remaining Lilin settlements? WILLE, as we already established, cannot be everywhere at once. They could have simply starved the survivors of 3I and implemented instrumentality at their leisure.

The simple answer to all of this: ass pull. Anno and the other writers wanted the setting for whatever story they eventually decided to tell without actually working to reasonably justify it. They focused too much on the themes rather than the substance of the story - which is logical plot progression and character development. The suspension of disbelief is really broken several times in 3.0:

- Shinji being brought to the Wunder's bridge instead of immediately taken to quarantine. The excuse? Misato could not leave the bridge. The real reason? to establish WILLE's resentment towards him. What if he had been a clone like Asuka and Rei? What if the had a bomb planted inside his body to take out WILLE's higher ups? WILLE aren't just paranoid, they are also stupid.
- Focusing on protecting Unit-01 during the Mark 09 assault but ignoring the fact that Shinji was an obvious impact trigger. I mean, really? Gendo wants to initiate an impact - I think he would go for the easiest way. How incompetent can WILLE be?
- Asuka being a bigger idiot than usual and attacking Shinji in Central Dogma when he was willing to talk. She simply had to explain things to him, but no.
- Kawuro warning Shinji not to pull the spears, but being vague as hell about why he should not. Just tell him straight that this is not the scenario you imagined and stop being vague your dialogue.
- Shinji, pulling the spears, for the simple reason that otherwise the plot would not progress. This was so forced and arbitrary I think the writers should not be allowed to handle any kind of script for the remainder of their lives.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:28 am

View Original Postroyabr121 wrote:Also, it is quite apparent to me that Shinji's role and responsibility in regards to N3I and A3I were changed between 3.0 and 3.0+1.0, and while people definitely blamed him for the N3I and A3I in 3.0, it is very clear they changed that in 3.0+1.0 to just N3I, which only makes WILLE look even more incompetent and unsympathetic then before.

I don't think this situation was changed between 3.0 and 3.0+1.0. After all, Shinji seems to still be blamed for everything in 3.0+1.0.

For example:

Midori: "You're a disease! Do you know what humanity's been through thanks to you and your Near Third Impact!? This is all your fault, you and your father...! I won't let you do it!"

In 3.0, it is mentioned that N3I was the trigger for A3I, which seems to be mantained in 3.0+1.0. The problem is we still don't know what this exactly means.

View Original Postroyabr121 wrote:- Kawuro warning Shinji not to pull the spears, but being vague as hell about why he should not. Just tell him straight that this is not the scenario you imagined and stop being vague your dialogue.

Kaworu explained that the two spears weren't the right ones.

It's also pretty possible Kaworu didn't exactly know what will happen at that point, since he was totally surprised by the two Speard of Longinud.

royabr121
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby royabr121 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:34 am

In 3.0, it is mentioned that N3I was the trigger for A3I, which seems to be mantained in 3.0+1.0. The problem is we still don't know what this exactly means.

In the end of 2.0 the impact was in its first stages. It only affected a very small area (Tokyo-3) before it was stopped by Kawuro. While there was some destruction, the fact the Toji, Hikari and Kenskue survived speaks volumes about how minor it was compared to the actual Third Impact. As for the change, remember that NGE while Shinji did initiate Third Impact it was because:

A) Rei gave him control over it.
B) SEELE had quite purposefully driven him mad (shiguro mentions his "ego barrier" getting weaker).

BUT! After some internal struggle Shinji gives back the ability for humanity to get back from the sea of LCL if they can find their own individuality. Also, remember that when Shinji told Kawuro "I had nothing to do with it!" Kaworu responds with "Maybe, but that's not what the others believe". This was an obvious setup for Shinji discovering his lack of guilt later and the others reconnecting with him due to this. Otherwise this exchange makes no sense, just like Mari.

And speaking of the example of Mari, isn't it plausible, given that the writers themselves admitted they had absolutely no idea where she came from and what her ultimate role in the story would be, that they made some last minute changes to the plot when writing 3.0+1.0? Remember that Anno was also going through depression when making 3.0, and it must have affected his writing to some degree. Hell, it affected his writing in NGE.

Aside from all of this, what do you think about my other points?

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:55 am

royabr121 wrote: As for the change, remember that NGE while Shinji did initiate Third Impact it was because:

A) Rei gave him control over it.
B) SEELE had quite purposefully driven him mad (shiguro mentions his "ego barrier" getting weaker).

I'm not really sure how the events of EoE are supposed to say something about the events in NTE, a different work set in a different canon that relates itself to NGE and EoE in what appears to be a meta way only.

That said, there are other places to discuss Shin than this thread. It'd be appreciated if the conversation were to move someplace else.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:21 am

View Original Postroyabr121 wrote:In the end of 2.0 the impact was in its first stages. It only affected a very small area (Tokyo-3) before it was stopped by Kawuro. While there was some destruction, the fact the Toji, Hikari and Kenskue survived speaks volumes about how minor it was compared to the actual Third Impact.

In fact, we don't know how extensive was the destruction caused by the Near Third Impact. And Kensuke and Touji seem to remember the Near Third Impact as the worst event.

Anyway, in 3.0, it's said Near Third Impact was the trigger for the Third Impact. We don't know how that works, but this idea seems to be mantained in 3.0+1.0.

View Original Postroyabr121 wrote:Also, remember that when Shinji told Kawuro "I had nothing to do with it!" Kaworu responds with "Maybe, but that's not what the others believe". This was an obvious setup for Shinji discovering his lack of guilt later and the others reconnecting with him due to this. Otherwise this exchange makes no sense, just like Mari.

I want to mention that this could be a translation issue.

This part is different in a another translation of the script (https://github.com/eva3/Evangelion--3.0 ... RANSLATION):

Shinji: I had nothing to do with it.
Kaworu: You may deny it, but humanity thinks otherwise.

So, the "Maybe" in the first translation was likely never a setup for Shinji's innocence.

PS: I just noticed the message of Zusuchan. We could continue the discussion in another thread or PM.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Evangelion Pic Thread 11: Mari's Middlesex Manor of Mayhem and Fantabulous Foppery

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:28 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:Image

this one gives me such feels
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Evangelion Pic Thread 11: Mari's Middlesex Manor of Mayhem and Fantabulous Foppery

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:31 pm

Lucky birthday boy
SPOILER: Show
Don't worry Touji, I'm sure Hikari will have something nice for you when your birthday rolls around.
Nothing beats a cake made with Ayanami's love tho

It's a secret

More ReiShin:

Of course Rei is perfectly adorable on her own:

Solo Shinjis
That last one is my favorite

An adorable Kensuke

More KawoShin Astronaut AU

Floaty Kaworu

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:32 pm

Now it is my opinion that the whole MariShin thing has been wildly overstated, but these ones are actually really cute:

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:31 am

From Berserker

More wishes
1. @IMOMO__EVA__ on Twitter
2. しゃけ on pixiv
3. @_krurinnp_ on pixiv
4. @uni__520 on Twitter
5. @Cno02365114 on Twitter

EVA Mark.06
Artist: のと on pixiv

LAS
Artist: @h0lly1201eva on Twitter

LKS
1. 火山群鳥_ on pixiv
2. @SanDuoCat on Twitter
3. @ppandherbabe on Twitter

Edit: removed a picture wich have nothing to do with Eva and LKS. Berserker, you need to rest :tongue:
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:53 am

I really love that Mark.06. That artist's whole gallery is really cool in general despite its small size; but for those that check it out be wary of spoilers, there is some Shin stuff in there
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:57 am

Artist: 中西 達哉 on Pixiv
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:16 am

Such gorgeous Shin-chans! I am most grateful!

Reiflection

Mari and Kaworu

I do hope that cake is store bought because if those two cooked it its gonna be full of eggshells
The EVA 01 colored candle is a nice touch tho

Yet more presents!

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:23 am

Ok, i kinda wanna see more Mari/Kaworu interactions now
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:37 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Mari and Kaworu

This really defines who Mari is :lol:

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Yet more presents!

Kaworu gave Shinji a marriage registration :rofl:
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:06 am

Mari & Kaworu are sort of in this similar space (they were explicitly compared in the CR) of being accepting, wise mysterious bystanders who dispense philosophic advice but Mari is a lot more... straightforward/simple, or you could say fun, while Kaworu is more tactful & comes off more refined - like, if you wanted to use an esoteric metaphor Mari is connected to the earth/nature while Kaworu is connected to the sky/celestial realm. Kaworu is the type to get all melancholy over philosophic conundrums while Mari has more of a simple, present-centered wisdom going on.

if you wanted to assign them all classical elements, i guess you'd get
Kaworu - Sky/quintessence
Mari - earth
Asuka - fire
Rei - water
...which makes Shinji air by exclusion. Though you could imagine Rei as air and Shinji as water.

EDIT:

Summer vibes

AsuMari ft. silly pachinko fanservice swimsuits

Apocalypse Mari

Fancy pilot girls

And you thought Misato's driving was bad
Worry not, if anything goes wrong, Kaworu can catch him with his AT field... I think?

Horizon

Now this is just unreasonably adorable
Why is this so cute? Is it Shinji's blissful smile? the way the art style renders their lil heads?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:53 pm

Absolution

Promise

OG Shikinami and Mari have a... disagreement

TFW your princess gets eaten
I wonder if that's her expression in the actual movie. I'm really curious to see this moment since it's the one time Mari loses her cool

"You were wrong. Go back"

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:42 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Promise

This is unintentionally creepy. Kaworu looks like a cyclops!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:58 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:AsuMari ft. silly pachinko fanservice swimsuits

I only know the last one, I never saw the others in the pachinkos.

Shinjito | Twitter · Facebook · Instagram · Tumblr⚠️ I should warn you that there are spoilers on the profiles

I've chosen a few, but there are many more on their social media profiles above.

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:43 am

^That surely was hell of a nostalgia ride there. The Sahaquiel fight one's the cutest in particular IMO.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”