Evangelion 3.0+1.01

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Evangelion 3.0+1.01

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:21 pm

Starting June 12th a new version of the movie is going to start playing in Japanese theaters. It's NOT a new cut of the film but an updated version where some cuts of animation have been finessed or altered in some way.

Google Translation: #シンエヴァ Last run big service!

2 ⃣ New version "EVANGELION :3 From the version when ".0 + 1.01" was released, a new version with the cuts replaced will be screened from 6/12 (Sat.)!
※ There is no change in the story etc.

3 ⃣ Also from 6/12 (Sat), screenings at Dolby Cinema will be decided at 6 theaters nationwide!

"Last run big service!" seems to indicate this is the final part of the film's theatrical run in Japan. There's also a new booklet- EVA EXTRA EXTA - & new artwork (likely Shinji & Misato) being given out to people if they go. Undeniably in part this is happening to help the film cross the 9 billion yen mark. It's currently at around 8.7 billion yen and this should help it do that.

After that attention should turn to the international market..... hopefully.

Evangelion website page with more information: https://www.evangelion.co.jp/news/210607-2/

From website:
(2) The new version "EVANGELION: 3.0 + 1.01" will be screened!
With gratitude to everyone who supported this work, we replaced the cuts because we would like you to see the work in which the main part of the movie has been further adjusted.
From June 12th (Saturday), which is the final screening timing of this film, which you want to see at the theater, it will be screened as the "EVANGELION: 3.0 + 1.01" version at screening halls nationwide.
* Replacement is only a minor correction for each cut, and there is no change in the story.
* Dolby Cinema, IMAX, and 4DX / MX4D will be screened in the "EVANGELION: 3.0 + 1.0" version from the beginning.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Evangelion 3.0+1.01

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:57 pm

That was quick to start the remastered/adding an extra number to the title! I imagine we're closer to international news in this case, my July prediction remains possible.

I wonder if this means if this is the only version that'll be released on Blu Ray? Actually, that's been the standard for the other films correct?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:06 pm

The 36 page EVA EXTRA EX booklet that will be given out to audience members seems to be specifically be about events that occured BEFORE the start of You Can (Not) Redo. . There's something in it called EVANGELION: 3.0 (-120min.). With my limited copy & paste into translator skills I can't tell if these are interviews with the crew OR if it's a new little manga covering some of the story before 3.0. Either way, seems like a nice little bonus that *may* answer a question or two people have had for years.

From Website:
Official humbly made 36P booklet "EVA-EXTRA-EXTRA" Overview
Cover draw down: Atsushi Nishikiori
cartoon "EVANGELION: 3.0 (-120min.) " From
the past "Evangelion: Q" was not be be told the day before Tan
planning, Original / Supervised Hideaki Anno
Screenplay / Director Kazuya Tsurumaki
Manga Hidenori Matsubara Masahiro Maeda

Translation: Last run big service!

1 ⃣ Super luxurious! Visitor present Wrapped present
Officially made 36P booklet "EVA-EXTRA-EXTRA" (A4 size)

The gorgeous creators who participated in this work are reunited!
A super-luxury booklet full of new drawings, including the day before ": Q" that has not been talked about so far!

6/12 (Sat) -Distributed at screening halls nationwide

hui43210 wrote:I wonder if this means if this is the only version that'll be released on Blu Ray? Actually, that's been the standard for the other films correct?

I'm sure the first Bluray will be Evangelion 3.33+1.11 or something along those lines. Only the first film was an outlier when it got a 1.01 DVD release in 2008.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:11 pm

Holy crap, they're going to provide details about the time skip? That's going to be interesting. Warning for those avoiding spoilers though, I imagine, whatever form it is, will work under the assumption you've seen 3.0+1.0. So make sure you avoid this too
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:35 pm

That booklet ("EVA-EXTRA-EXTRA") does indeed has a manga by Hidenori Matsubara and Mahiro Maeda.
From official EVANGELION website wrote:漫画 “EVANGELION:3.0(-120min.)”収録
[...]
漫画 松原秀典 前田真宏

"EVANGELION:3.0(-120min.)" is the title of the manga.

Promotional artwork by Hidenori Matsubara  SPOILER: Show

Edit: I changed the domain of the image to Pinterest domain. Just not to have the risk of the image not loading in the future.
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:44 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:That booklet ("EVA-EXTRA-EXTRA") does indeed has a manga by Hidenori Matsubara and Mahiro Maeda.
View Original PostFrom official EVANGELION website wrote:漫画 “EVANGELION:3.0(-120min.)”収録
[...]
漫画 松原秀典 前田真宏

"EVANGELION:3.0(-120min.)" is the title of the manga.

Promotional artwork by Hidenori Matsubara  SPOILER: Show

That's so cool! I've been hoping for a manga about the timpskip since 3.0 came out!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:49 pm

They REALLY wanna get the film to 10 billion yen don't they?

I wonder if this might just be the trick to get them there.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:54 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:That's so cool! I've been hoping for a manga about the timpskip since 3.0 came out!

This manga seems to be 120 minutes before 3.0, so I guess it will be about the preparations to take Eva-01.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:22 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:They REALLY wanna get the film to 10 billion yen don't they?

I wonder if this might just be the trick to get them there.

Hahahah, I scrolled down to make this comment! :emogendo:

Great minds think alike.
Don't be.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:44 pm

I know I'm reaching, but I feel like this all but confirms we'll be getting a longer cut when it comes out on Blu-ray. A 3.0 +1.11 or 3.33 + 1.11.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:45 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original Posthui43210#924049 wrote:That's so cool! I've been hoping for a manga about the timpskip since 3.0 came out!

This manga seems to be 120 minutes before 3.0, so I guess it will be about the preparations to take Eva-01.

Ah, that could be it. I was thinking of an 120 min version of Q with a 30 min flashback.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:47 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:This manga seems to be 120 minutes before 3.0, so I guess it will be about the preparations to take Eva-01.

I was thinking the same.

And I should point out that in the promo illustration that I posted in my previous post, Asuka is wearing a different plugsuit, not the same one we saw damaged, especially if you look at her wrist. Did they change this in version Q:3.333? Did I miss something?
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:56 pm

LOL I thought they're releasing yet ANOTHER version of 3.0 but 30 minutes longer, before noticing the "-" :lol: But still, very cool knowing they're actually expanding the Rebuild canon which used to be exclusively only on film, as minor as the adddition was.

As for 3.0+1.01, I wonder which cuts they fixed. The most criticisms I read are the CGI heavy scenes in the 3rd act (you know which one, it's on the trailer).
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:46 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:And I should point out that in the promo illustration that I posted in my previous post, Asuka is wearing a different plugsuit, not the same one we saw damaged, especially if you look at her wrist. Did they change this in version Q:3.333? Did I miss something?

Using the translation machine, it seems to say this image of Asuka isn't included in the booklet. It seems to be only a promotional image.

Of course, I don't know if this is correctly translated.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:15 am

More news is always welcome, though it's definitely pretty funny that they're already doing a .01 version. On one hand, with all the extra time they had you would've figured that they would've had the opportunity to add in everything they wanted. On the other hand, I totally know the feeling of handing something in only to realize there's some more small details you could've polished up after the fact.

Not sure how I feel about info about the timeskip being released in NOT the movie. Hopefully it's just non-essential lore stuff that isn't actually relevant to the plot. I also hope that this isn't yet another attempt to crawl to $10B before they'll announce an international release...

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:51 am

If we go by previous films, the "1.01" makes it clear that it's not the "definitive" version, but I wonder what makes them bother to do so if they're planning to release the eventual 3.33+1.11 later other than injecting the last remaining hype it has to boost the theatrical gross to 10 billion yen.

But kudos to them for being honest that it's merely an "updated" version instead of extended one, unlike what Avengers: Endgame did to cross Avatar's BO (adding unfinished deleted scenes as post-credit scenes after hyping them up as additional footage).
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:32 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Using the translation machine, it seems to say this image of Asuka isn't included in the booklet. It seems to be only a promotional image.
Of course, I don't know if this is correctly translated.

I saw this observation, however I interpreted it to be the whole image. There is no inaccuracy in machine translation: that sentence in fact is in the negative form, more precisely in the masen-form (収録されておりません).

Still, it intrigues me that they use an art of Asuka with that plugsuit model, which we first saw with Mari in 2.0.
Nevertheless, I don't rule out the possibility that she is wearing this plugsuit in the manga (I'm headstrong :tongue:).
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:22 am

Cool news about the manga. Final run sounds like, well, the final run so hopefully focus will shift to home release and international.

A Renegade Deserter
Adam
Location: Back from exile to infiltrate and combat my mortal enemy

•      
  •      

Postby A Renegade Deserter » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:01 am

So it's about a short manga meant as a prequel to 3.0 with the -120 Min in the Title.
"To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless."
- Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

"There is no difference between what is right and what is necessary."

"We cannot escape anguish. It is what we are."

"Collateral damage can be justified, if the gain outweighs the cost."

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:34 am

So this time they're doing this while it's still in the theatres instead of doing 3 separate DVD releases

The manga/extra stuff could be anything between a full reveal to just a deleted scene filled with mostly space nerdery. I hope it shall reach the interwebs fast.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”