Amazon Prime Video release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Amazon Prime Video release

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:10 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:You know, it's kind of obvious when you think about it that they're probably waiting for Anime Expo in July to announce a Western release.

Anime expo is an american thing, aint it? Thats like saying they are waiting for an anime convention from Korea to announce the whole of the eastern release.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:32 pm

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:
View Original Posthui43210#921210 wrote:You know, it's kind of obvious when you think about it that they're probably waiting for Anime Expo in July to announce a Western release.

Anime expo is an american thing, aint it? Thats like saying they are waiting for an anime convention from Korea to announce the whole of the eastern release.

That is a faulty comparison. Anime Expo is the biggest con in North America and tons of anime and release information gets released there every year, including, but limited to, Avant 1 and the release month for Shin Eva. As the English speaking market has become important for anime, a lot of big announcements get made there.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:37 pm

Not international release ones. I could believe the american release being announced there, but as for the rest of the world that does sound like giving life to american exceptionalism cliches.

So no, it is not a faulty comparison, as they are not going to announce an asian release in Korea, nor a western release in America. They might try to coincide a global announcement with that con, but no, Germans are not going to find out when they are going to be able to see this movie on prime, cinemas or blu ray via an American con.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:04 pm

Judging by Anime Expo coverage from past years [1], it's an important source for Western, domestic (Japanese), and worldwide news. This isn't surprising considering the US is uncontested when it comes to demand for anime outside of Japan [2].
So yes, it's a faulty comparison.

[1] https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... -4/.148670
[2] https://www.parrotanalytics.com/insight ... for-anime/
i want rebuild

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:34 pm

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:Not international release ones. I could believe the american release being announced there, but as for the rest of the world that does sound like giving life to american exceptionalism cliches.

So no, it is not a faulty comparison, as they are not going to announce an asian release in Korea, nor a western release in America. They might try to coincide a global announcement with that con, but no, Germans are not going to find out when they are going to be able to see this movie on prime, cinemas or blu ray via an American con.

I'm a Canadian pal, I'm not arguing for American exceptionalism here, I'm just saying Anime Expo is a massive media event that Khara, and every other studio, has used in the past to announce things. Like it or not, it's a big event.

You might not get any info for a Latin America release there, but I was just trying to point out it's a possibility for an English release.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:55 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:That is a faulty comparison. Anime Expo is the biggest con in North America and tons of anime and release information gets released there every year, including, but limited to, Avant 1 and the release month for Shin Eva. As the English speaking market has become important for anime, a lot of big announcements get made there.

The AVANT1 event was in Paris at Japan Expo, not in the US. The US screening was infact the only one in the world to be not in simulcast with Paris (Japan and China were at the same time). I don't think Japan Expo is a thing this year sadly.

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:17 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:
View Original Posthui43210#921382 wrote:That is a faulty comparison. Anime Expo is the biggest con in North America and tons of anime and release information gets released there every year, including, but limited to, Avant 1 and the release month for Shin Eva. As the English speaking market has become important for anime, a lot of big announcements get made there.

The AVANT1 event was in Paris at Japan Expo, not in the US. The US screening was infact the only one in the world to be not in simulcast with Paris (Japan and China were at the same time). I don't think Japan Expo is a thing this year sadly.

The only way I was able to watch the AVANT1 event as it was happening over in Paris from my computer in northeast Ohio was some streaming platform I haven't used since. It was also at 8:00 in the morning here when it happened so I basically stayed up all night to watch it then spent the rest of the day sleeping xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat May 08, 2021 10:02 am

Velorex on Discord found this:

Evangelion movies will move from Netflix to Amazon.
There is currently no official date.
Amazon, however, has already bought the rights to the Italian editions.
The package will also include the latest feature film, Evangelion: 3.0 + 1.0 (translated, adapted and dubbed in January).

A small clarification on yesterday's tweet on Evangelion: there is a finished version of Evangelion: 3.0 + 1.0, but it has been stopped for several months; when I said "film" I was referring to "films", not the series; Prime Video has moved internationally; there is no official note.

Nothing new but he is someone who has a reputation and not "just an anime fansite"

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gianmaria-t ... bdomain=it

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 am

What does “it has stopped for several months” mean? Is it just poor machine translation for “it’s been sitting on ice since January”?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat May 08, 2021 11:04 am

Yeah

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sat May 08, 2021 11:46 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:What does “it has stopped for several months” mean? Is it just poor machine translation for “it’s been sitting on ice since January”?

Essentially, it means "is sitting still".

Kireek
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kireek » Sat May 08, 2021 12:07 pm

And why is it on ice ?

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sat May 08, 2021 12:42 pm

View Original PostKireek wrote:And why is it on ice ?

Cause it is already on fire on the Japanese box office.

Kireek
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kireek » Sat May 08, 2021 12:54 pm

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:
View Original PostKireek#922297 wrote:And why is it on ice ?

Cause it is already on fire on the Japanese box office.

Well yes and no, it was on fire, I wouldn’t say so much now, are any cinemas still showing it 2 months on ?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat May 08, 2021 1:21 pm

Is this just some rando or a credible source?
Cause the "easter" rumors were a nothingburger.

On ice could mean "they started but there were creative differences, so its in development hell" or "it's finished and they're just waiting for the last of the Japanese cinema cash to come in"
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat May 08, 2021 1:35 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Is this just some rando or a credible source?
Cause the "easter" rumors were a nothingburger.

Plus, pretty much everyone of these rumors is coming out of Italy. Is there any indication that this info applies to the rest of the planet? I'm not seeing it at this point, rather, I see bloggers looking for clicks.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat May 08, 2021 1:40 pm

I linked his LinkedIn account if you want to see the publications he works for. He publish for La Repubblica among others, the 2nd biggest newspaper in Italy.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Sat May 08, 2021 1:49 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:On ice could mean "they started but there were creative differences, so its in development hell" or "it's finished and they're just waiting for the last of the Japanese cinema cash to come in"

No. Not here. It means its over and they are waiting for the get go. The man said what he said. If it is true or not, accurate or not, if he misspoke or not, time will tell. I speak italian. This is not an ambiguous message. It´s plain as hell.

There were no Easter rumours. There was speculation. It was always speculation. Nothing more. Based on a completely different situation, they speculated what COULD happen if things hadn't changed.

Hui, the twitter said amazon´s move is international, so unless he misspoke or I misunderstood it means this is not just for Italy. Plus the spanish director in charge of 3.0+1.0 also said his was finished.

Kireek, if you don't even know if cinemas are still showing it, i doubt you are qualified to judge whether it was, is or will be on fire.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat May 08, 2021 3:56 pm

aha ok, thx for clarifying the phrase.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat May 08, 2021 6:52 pm

Personally, I'm still hoping Funimation will dub the film for bluray.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”