Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Waiting for Evangelion:3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:39 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
View Original PostKireek#919389 wrote:
Well, if they don’t mention anything about an international release here then see you in 2 years time.

They won't because it's a domestic event, but the notion that it'll take two years to be released is absurd. We will see it within the year.

I don't exclude that possibility at all, because that already happened with Dragon Ball Super: Broly when the international release of the movie was announced at a Japanese event:

I'm not confident that's the case for the live stage on April 11, but the probabilities are not null for something like this to occur in that event or in other domestic events.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:29 pm

Is that true? I thought that movie was released simultaneously across the world. The international Dragon Ball fanbase is huge, especially in the Americas, so that would make a lot more sense.

EDIT: Ohh, you were talking about announcing an international release at a Japanese event, not postponing the international release by two years. That makes more sense.

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:45 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:Ohh, you were talking about announcing an international release at a Japanese event, not postponing the international release by two years. That makes more sense.

Yep, that's what I was talking about. A Japanese event revealing the release of the movie in territories outside of Japan.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Happy first month Shin :asuka_wink:

baldur
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:20 pm

Man, one month already. Feels like it's been so long but so short at the same time.
Last edited by baldur on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:09 pm

View Original PostRaikyu wrote:Yep, that's what I was talking about. A Japanese event revealing the release of the movie in territories outside of Japan.

I don't see it happening for this event considering it's billed specifically as a "stage greeting" and without prior "important announcement" tease or whatsoever, it's pretty much the same thing as the one with the seiyuus a while ago but this time for the directors (Ogata is present, but she mentioned something about "only" being an MC this time).

However, I can see Toho and Khara doing yet another Eva-related event to announce the worldwide release if they really want to make a big deal out of it.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:23 am

This seems to be sold as a thank you for the fans kinda thing that will be shown live in other theatres before the movie starts. I doubt the people who can see the movie in Japan any time they want are particularly interested to find out about its international distribution, so I really don't see the point of announcing this there.

Even announcing that its coming soon to Japan amazon would feel out of place, considering they just paid for a ticket to see the movie... :bigeyes:

But, I cant see the future until it arrives, so...

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:54 am

The arguments you guys pointed are the same reason why I'm not confident too. I guess we have to wait a little longer for more clues about an international release. I was only saying that those clues can appear in Japanese exclusive events too, and the case of Dragon Ball Super: Broly was an example of that.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:25 am

The difference with Dragonball is it is legitimately the most popular Anime internationally, those kinds of announcements make more sense.

The sad thing is, Eva might have been going down this route before the pandemic. The Avant premiere was an international event and it seemed to foreshadow a global premiere, at the biggest Anime conventions anyways. Whether that was truly the case or not, I don't know for sure, but the pandemic definitely threw a wrench into a lot of plans.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:41 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:the pandemic definitely threw a wrench into a lot of plans.

True. Sad, but true.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:53 am

I'd say that Operation 0706 back in 2019 was similar to that of what they did with Broly in terms of ambition, they were clearly gunning for a speedy if not day-and-date worldwide release before the 'Rona hits. Not that it had any luck in its home country, even the March 8 release date was clearly a quick rollout just so they can get the damn thing out on theaters first and foremost then do other things later.

Thinking about the What Could've Beens really hurts. :penpen_cry:
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Kireek
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kireek » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:47 pm

Nothing personal and with respect.

COVID is beside the point,the first film in the Rebuild series premiered in 2007!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:54 pm

View Original PostKireek wrote:Nothing personal and with respect.

COVID is beside the point,the first film in the Rebuild series premiered in 2007!

And?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

leconpeludon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby leconpeludon » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:02 pm

Fuck dude, I decided to throw myself at spoilers. Since there's a translation of the subs online, I decided to read 1 minute a day.

Kireek
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kireek » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:03 pm

Taking 13/14 years to release 4 films is a joke, though feel free to disagree with me.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:16 pm

BusterMachine4 wrote:Is that true? I thought that movie was released simultaneously across the world. The international Dragon Ball fanbase is huge, especially in the Americas, so that would make a lot more sense.

It all happened in the span of a month and a half, or so. It actually took some time to launch it in the US, compared to other American countries. I think it was released on January 16th, while in Brazil it came out on January 3rd. The difference is truly insignificant, though.
Last edited by BernardoCairo on Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:38 pm

View Original PostKireek wrote:Taking 13/14 years to release 4 films is a joke
The first three came out at a reasonable tempo, allowing for the effects of the 2011 'quake causing some delay to Q; it was after that that Anno decided that he didn't want to get back in the robot.

Anno Hideaki: "I can't do it anymore! There's no way I can make Evangelion!
Anno Moyoco: "Nothing fun is going to happen if you keep wallowing over things like that, you know?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:54 pm

Hayao Miyazaki: “Finish what you start, son.”

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:07 pm

I mean... it’s not IDEAL that it happened that way, but it’s not like anyone wanted it to be like that. If you got burnout and writer’s block, you can’t just grind through it and still make a good movie.

They definitely could’ve communicated with the fans better though, because it was news to me up til literally two months ago that 3.0+1.0 was straight up just on hiatus until around 2017. If I had known that the movie wasn’t actually being worked on for 9 years (usually a sign of a clusterfuck production), and was instead worked on for a much more reasonable ~3 years (minus any adjustments made for the pandemic), I would’ve been much more optimistic about it during the wait.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby JuanSorel » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:14 pm

Meanwhile...

SPOILER: Show

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”