Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:46 am

Wait...is this what I predicted?
Are we getting Avant2?
I'm not ready. Not at all holy shit
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:06 am

YES! I just woke up with the notification on my smartphone about this.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:07 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Wait...is this what I predicted?
Are we getting Avant2?

Unless avant 2 is 2 mins long, no you won’t be getting avant 2. Rather a small snippet

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Line » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:31 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/20632/Evangelion3010-First-12-minutes-10-seconds-online-preview-March-8th/

I created a thread to discuss the content of the first 12 minutes.

Thank you very very much, honestly! I wished to discuss this clip for a while that's I discovered in the discourse of February, to which I totally didn't know it existed before, lol what a shame.

But I did have to keep all those questions for myself because of the spoiler policy and stuff. So again, thank you very much, Joseki :exalt:
Ban me forever.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:35 am

View Original PostLine wrote:But I did have to keep all those questions for myself because of the spoiler policy and stuff. So again, thank you very much, Joseki :exalt:

Don't be so afraid of the spoiler policy! You're on the spoiler subforum, so discuss away as much as you want!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:05 am

We stink up the fridge with how spoiled rotten we are in the spoiler subform. :sly:

The rest of the forum needs to smell nice a clean, though. Nothing past the AVANT and pre-March 8th trailers should be discussed outside of the spoiler sections.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:09 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Don't be so afraid of the spoiler policy! You're on the spoiler subforum, so discuss away as much as you want!

The 12 minutes 10 seconds thread will fall in the spoiler subforum or out of it?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:14 am

View Original PostThesufferingpumpkin wrote:
View Original Postkuribo-04#911479 wrote:Wait...is this what I predicted?
Are we getting Avant2?

Unless avant 2 is 2 mins long, no you won’t be getting avant 2. Rather a small snippet

Yeah I just remembered it has a lot of shots. It's probably the beginning of it.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:40 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:
The 12 minutes 10 seconds thread will fall in the spoiler subforum or out of it?

If it's publicly available to western audiences via that youtube link, it's out of the spoiler subforum. More so if it is just the previous Operation 0706 (the Paris screening) with a few extra scenes or shots. The point of the spoiler policy is to prevent anyone from being spoiled by material that isn't widely publicly available outside Japan, and if this premiere is accessible worldwide, it is fine.

However, if it's not widely accessible worldwide and it isn't simply a longer version of the 2019 screening... it's a spoiler.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:28 am

Shinjuku Wald 9 theater has posted a touching special message in anticipation of Shin Eva's release next week on their website:
SPOILER: Show

Translation:
To everyone who loves Evangelion.
The wait has been long, but we're happy and a bit lonely when that time finally comes.
Because just like for everyone, "Eva" is also very special to us. So let's see it together, until the very end.

"Thank you, all of EVANGELION."
- Shinjuku Wald 9

Shin Evangelion Theatrical Edition: || / Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time
In theaters March 8, 2021.

I admit, I got teared up translating this, haha. It truly is the end of an era, huh?
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:43 am

In the T•JOY cinemas there will be a message board which people can thank the franchise. You can leave a message there. :w00t:
SPOILER: Show
Last edited by JoelcrNeto on Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:48 am

Image won't load
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:01 am

For me it was loading, I changed the image domain.
Edit: the image is just proof of what I'm talking about, there's nothing interesting actually.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby JuanSorel » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:38 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote: It truly is the end of an era, huh?

I dunno. It only feels like an era because they took 9 bloody years to make the movie...

I had already forgotten this thing was coming out until last year...

But it is a nice, bittersweet sentiment. I felt like that back in the 90s when EOE came out (not 9 years after "congratulations", but it felt like it was 9 years anyway). Eras cant die twice tough. I already had my "goodbye Eva" period. This is just a nice bonus.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:58 am

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:Eras cant die twice tough. I already had my "goodbye Eva" period. This is just a nice bonus.

I wasn't even born yet when NGE and EoE came out, so the Rebuild era is my personal era of Evangelion and I see the previous era as a historical event that I didn't get to experience firsthand but always fascinated by the tales I've read about it.

So yeah, I'm happy and emotional that I get to experience what Japanese people call as the "Second Eva Boom" and see it finally come to an end. The discussions will always happen every now and then, but finally seeing the tetralogy come into completion after more than a decade and realizing there's no more to look forward to sure as hell reminds me that all things must and will evetually pass, no matter how long it takes.

JuanSorel
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby JuanSorel » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:39 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:
View Original PostJuanSorel#911506 wrote:Eras cant die twice tough. I already had my "goodbye Eva" period. This is just a nice bonus.

I see the previous era as a historical event that I didn't get to experience firsthand but always fascinated by the tales I've read about it.

One day somebody will refer to a part of your life as an historical event and you are going to feel as old as i do now... :D :w00t:

Back then a friend of mine imported the laserdics of D&R and later EOE, before the internet, via catalogue, and transferred them to vhs with subtitles made by a chinese friend of ours that "somewhat" spoke "some" Japanese. He gave them away to his friends, did not sell them, as making a profit here was ilegal, but distributing them wasn´t, as long as nobody owned the rights, which nobody did at the time. You cant even start to imagine the snowy low resolution semi blurry image they got from transferring the laserdisc to vhs with those purple and yellow colored homemade subtitles trough a damn Pentium (i guess that's what he used, its been more than 20 years)...

It was a common joke that the live action people waiting in the cinema in part 2 of EOE were us waiting for an official release of the damned movie. I bought my first dvd player just to play the 2 dvd set i imported from Japan when it came out for the first time on that format.

Good times.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Mr. M » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:42 am

The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:50 am

View Original PostMr. M wrote:https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/03/03/national/tokyo-area-emergency-extension/
Can you feel the delay?

No, it's already been discussed why this almost certainly won't cause another delay (there's always a chance I suppose). But today's news basically confirms that they're going ahead no matter what Tokyo does.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:52 am

View Original PostJuanSorel wrote:You cant even start to imagine the snowy low resolution semi blurry image they got from transferring the laserdisc to vhs with those purple and yellow colored homemade subtitles trough a damn Pentium (i guess that's what he used, its been more than 20 years)...

Man, that yellow subtitles part is too real. :rofl:
But yeah, getting into a series is one thing but experiencing it as an on-going one, while interacting and speculating with the fanbase is another. I may born too late for NGE, but I'm glad the Rebuild films exist so I can at least know how it feels to "be there" when Evangelion (once again) comes to a close.

One day I'll look back and remember all the good times I've spent in here. :kaworu_thumbsup:

Mr. M wrote:Can you feel the delay?

The extension is only for four prefectures of Greater Tokyo Area ( Tokyo, Chiba, Kanagawa, Saitama) and even cinemas in those areas are already putting Shin Eva's schedules starting from yesterday with the lockdown limitation in mind (no showtimes after 8:00PM, but they open much earlier than usual CMIIW). I don't think we need to worry about delays anymore at this point.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:52 pm

View Original PostMr. M wrote:https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/03/03/national/tokyo-area-emergency-extension/
Can you feel the delay?

The last delay almost completely killed the hype for the movie and was practically comical. Delaying it now would be straight up suicide for everyone involved. Toho/Khara will embrace streaming online with open arms before they delay the movie this close to release.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”