[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: [Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:57 pm

Looking forward to it! Always glad to see fellow modellers around
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:56 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Since you have experience in miniature painting and talk about primer and types of paint as a normal thing, you have enough experience to pick up really any kit that Bandai or Kotobukiya has ever put out.

The RG Evas in particular are extremely good from everything I have heard or seen; haven't built one myself yet, but that's only a matter of time ultimately.

If you want something in the style of the TV Series, the old LMHG line is also pretty solid for what it is, although it does have some annoying to work with rubber parts, same with the Perfect Grade 01, that one in particular requires a loooot of patience (and also some minor welding if you want the led gimmick)

I own one of each, and IMO the Kotobukiya is the best screen-accurate representation of an Eva with both TV and Rebuild versions available, and yields the best finished product. They are a pretty good size - about a head shorter than the Bandai HG's - and have EXCELLENT posability. Notably, it has a hinge joint with a swivel at each end on each elbow, which gives it considerably better arm posability than any other Eva kit. It's also the only other kit available for the TV Eva's other than the LM-HG's, as the Bandai RG only comes in Rebuild colors/proportions. These kits WILL require a bit of paint; however it's not particularly difficult and should be able to be done even by a novice.

However, these kits are harder to put together than Bandai's offerings, and require way more post-processing. The runner design is just not very good, with many large, obnoxious nub marks in really obvious places. The engineering is also less user-friendly, with the torso being quite difficult to take apart after it's assembled, and plenty of obvious seam lines that can't be easily removed if you want to be able to disassemble the model for painting. From a "user experience" perspective, the Bandai kits are just much better engineered to be fun and easy to put together. This kit definitely requires some modeling experience - I wouldn't recommend it as somebody's first kit.

The main issue with these kits are the price (Unit-00 is $60, Unit-01 is $50, Unit-02 is a whopping $80) and the availability. Kotobukiya seems to make the TV versions in smaller batches, so they're not always widely available like the Bandai kits. If they're not currently in stock, you'll just have to hope they drop another batch and pre-order it as soon as that happens (Units 00 and 01 seem to be in stock at various retailers at the time of this posting).

--

The RG is a great kit, but not without its issues. The most glaring is the arms; the bicep design is frankly baffling, you need to be extremely careful to do a bicep rotation without the arm falling off. The forearm armor gimmick also severely limits the wrist rotation to about 90 degrees. There's also issues with the hip connector, which for some reason is allowed to freely rotate inside the pelvis without that much friction. The inner-thigh "muscle" gimmick also has a tendency to come loose. The RG also only comes in the Rebuild colors/proportions too, so of course if you want a TV version kit this one ain't for you. As a model kit, though, I think it's far superior to the Kotobukiya and offers a much more enjoyable build experience.

Basically, my verdict is, if you don't care about screen accuracy and just want a cool Evangelion model kit that looks great out of the box and doesn't need any additional work... get the RG. If you want a more anime-accurate (or Rebuild-accurate, I don't judge) figure, get the Kotobukiya. If you don't care about arm posability and don't mind a lot of painting, then you can save some money and get one of the old LM-HG's.

Comparison images  SPOILER: Show
LM-HG Unit-02 vs. Koto Unit-01. The Unit-02 was my first-ever model kit, and as mentioned above required a TON of paint on:
- Black areas between the torso segments
- Orange below the kneecaps and on the pylons
- Orange on the chest - this was easily the most annoying part, since there's these little sunken dots that need to be kept black
- Various black panel lines, dots, misc. detailing
- Whatever color the spine is. I painted it silver but I don't think that's accurate.
- Literally the entire head, which out-of-box was 100% red plastic and is about the size of a quarter
The Koto kit is completely unpainted and un-panel-lined (I plan on airbrushing it at some point in the future... soon :emogendo: ) but even then I think it looks completely presentable. The HG unpainted, on the other hand, is obviously incomplete.
Koto vs. RG. The RG is noticeably smaller.

Also, note how the Koto Eva-01 is folding her arms. This pose would be difficult to pull off on the RG and outright impossible with the HG's stupid rubber arms. It seems like a minor thing, but having the arms be freely posable just makes natural-looking and dynamic poses so much easier to pull off. Again, up to you to decide if that's worth the extra cost.

Despite my personal bias towards the Koto kits, I hope I've presented all this in an objective enough manner for you to come to your own decision as to which kit is right for you.

Ellis Sitzky
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ellis Sitzky » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:44 am

SPOILER: Show
View Original Post5284973#906333 wrote:
View Original PostBlockio#905587#906333 wrote:Since you have experience in miniature painting and talk about primer and types of paint as a normal thing, you have enough experience to pick up really any kit that Bandai or Kotobukiya has ever put out.

The RG Evas in particular are extremely good from everything I have heard or seen; haven't built one myself yet, but that's only a matter of time ultimately.

If you want something in the style of the TV Series, the old LMHG line is also pretty solid for what it is, although it does have some annoying to work with rubber parts, same with the Perfect Grade 01, that one in particular requires a loooot of patience (and also some minor welding if you want the led gimmick)

I own one of each, and IMO the Kotobukiya is the best screen-accurate representation of an Eva with both TV and Rebuild versions available, and yields the best finished product. They are a pretty good size - about a head shorter than the Bandai HG's - and have EXCELLENT posability. Notably, it has a hinge joint with a swivel at each end on each elbow, which gives it considerably better arm posability than any other Eva kit. It's also the only other kit available for the TV Eva's other than the LM-HG's, as the Bandai RG only comes in Rebuild colors/proportions. These kits WILL require a bit of paint; however it's not particularly difficult and should be able to be done even by a novice.

However, these kits are harder to put together than Bandai's offerings, and require way more post-processing. The runner design is just not very good, with many large, obnoxious nub marks in really obvious places. The engineering is also less user-friendly, with the torso being quite difficult to take apart after it's assembled, and plenty of obvious seam lines that can't be easily removed if you want to be able to disassemble the model for painting. From a "user experience" perspective, the Bandai kits are just much better engineered to be fun and easy to put together. This kit definitely requires some modeling experience - I wouldn't recommend it as somebody's first kit.

The main issue with these kits are the price (Unit-00 is $60, Unit-01 is $50, Unit-02 is a whopping $80) and the availability. Kotobukiya seems to make the TV versions in smaller batches, so they're not always widely available like the Bandai kits. If they're not currently in stock, you'll just have to hope they drop another batch and pre-order it as soon as that happens (Units 00 and 01 seem to be in stock at various retailers at the time of this posting).

--

The RG is a great kit, but not without its issues. The most glaring is the arms; the bicep design is frankly baffling, you need to be extremely careful to do a bicep rotation without the arm falling off. The forearm armor gimmick also severely limits the wrist rotation to about 90 degrees. There's also issues with the hip connector, which for some reason is allowed to freely rotate inside the pelvis without that much friction. The inner-thigh "muscle" gimmick also has a tendency to come loose. The RG also only comes in the Rebuild colors/proportions too, so of course if you want a TV version kit this one ain't for you. As a model kit, though, I think it's far superior to the Kotobukiya and offers a much more enjoyable build experience.

Basically, my verdict is, if you don't care about screen accuracy and just want a cool Evangelion model kit that looks great out of the box and doesn't need any additional work... get the RG. If you want a more anime-accurate (or Rebuild-accurate, I don't judge) figure, get the Kotobukiya. If you don't care about arm posability and don't mind a lot of painting, then you can save some money and get one of the old LM-HG's.

Comparison images  SPOILER: Show
LM-HG Unit-02 vs. Koto Unit-01. The Unit-02 was my first-ever model kit, and as mentioned above required a TON of paint on:
- Black areas between the torso segments
- Orange below the kneecaps and on the pylons
- Orange on the chest - this was easily the most annoying part, since there's these little sunken dots that need to be kept black
- Various black panel lines, dots, misc. detailing
- Whatever color the spine is. I painted it silver but I don't think that's accurate.
- Literally the entire head, which out-of-box was 100% red plastic and is about the size of a quarter
The Koto kit is completely unpainted and un-panel-lined (I plan on airbrushing it at some point in the future... soon :emogendo: ) but even then I think it looks completely presentable. The HG unpainted, on the other hand, is obviously incomplete.
Koto vs. RG. The RG is noticeably smaller.

Also, note how the Koto Eva-01 is folding her arms. This pose would be difficult to pull off on the RG and outright impossible with the HG's stupid rubber arms. It seems like a minor thing, but having the arms be freely posable just makes natural-looking and dynamic poses so much easier to pull off. Again, up to you to decide if that's worth the extra cost.

Despite my personal bias towards the Koto kits, I hope I've presented all this in an objective enough manner for you to come to your own decision as to which kit is right for you.
Thanks for taking the time for this detailed review, much appreciated.
My daily hobby is with miniatures (resin and plastic) of various genres mostly from Games Workshop.
I'm never been much into Japanese animation but Evangelion is a so deep, revolutionary and layered opera that It stroke my imagination and put in me the interest in something different.
I'm trying for the first time a model kit but my idea is to completely prime it (light gray maybe with a white zenithal, I want a vibrant cartoony colors effect at the end) and repaint it. So I don't need it ready out of the box.
First thing is I don't care too much about articulation. If it can be assembled in a cool pose, then - you will wish me death now - I could glue the model in position before painting it. The important thing is to have the less possibie action figure joints visible at the end.
Second thing is the size: I'm searching something not too big (the larger the surfaces, the harder to make them interesting with color). If I understood correctly Kotobukiya and RG Bandai are the smaller options.

My preference goes to the TV version that I like more than Rebuild movies, but as long as the model is accurate in one or the other version, it's the less important thing.

So, maybe the Kotobukiya one I guess?...

(If a good, detailed and not over-sexualized Asuka miniature existed I'd gladly work on that too... but I didn't find anything... - yes, my favourite EVA doesn't match my favourite EVA pilot...)

Please do not extensively quote entire posts, but only the parts of them you consider most relevant to what you yourself have to say. For that matter, quoting isn't necessary anyway. Also, when quoting someone, the quote goes in the top of your post instead of the bottom.
-Zusuchan

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:19 pm

Ellis Sitzky wrote: and repaint it. So I don't need it ready out of the box.
First thing is I don't care too much about articulation. If it can be assembled in a cool pose, then - you will wish me death now - I could glue the model in position before painting it. The important thing is to have the less possibie action figure joints visible at the end.

BROTHER!

But yeah, if you want less visible joints, I'd say go with the RG. Koto's joints are ball-shaped compared to the longer RG joint, so while they look smoother if you want to keep the kit poseable, they'll quite stick out compared to if you glue the RG joints and do a bit of puttywork and sanding to hide the seams.

They are imilarily sized if memory serves, but the RG also comes with more surface detail to boot
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:52 pm

If you want to essentially use it to create your own statue/diorama, I agree that the RG is probably the best bet. Ignoring screen accuracy as a factor, it's definitely the best looking kit by far, and adds in a bunch of interesting angles and contours to make it more visually interesting. Besides, most of my gripes with it come from the fiddly posability, and if that's not going to be a factor for you then it's pretty much the perfect kit for your purposes.

kevinlowl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kevinlowl » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:00 am

View Original PostBlockio#905587 wrote:I own one of each, and IMO the Kotobukiya is the best screen-accurate representation of an Eva with both TV and Rebuild versions available, and yields the best finished product.

Kotobukiya TV series kit isn't screen accurate. It doesn't have the right chest to waist ratio. Chest definitely not wide enough. It looked like they just took the Rebuild kit and modified it a bit.

If you're going for screen accuracy:
TV series - Bandai LM-HG (despite stupid rubber arms)
Rebuild - Kotobukiya 1/400

thread/19216/Whats-the-best-Unit-01-model-kit/#p868727
Here is a post with picture comparison courtesy of user TMBounty_Hunter.

View Original PostBlockio#905587 wrote:The RG is a great kit, but not without its issues. The most glaring is the arms; the bicep design is frankly baffling, you need to be extremely careful to do a bicep rotation without the arm falling off. The forearm armor gimmick also severely limits the wrist rotation to about 90 degrees. There's also issues with the hip connector, which for some reason is allowed to freely rotate inside the pelvis without that much friction. The inner-thigh "muscle" gimmick also has a tendency to come loose. The RG also only comes in the Rebuild colors/proportions too, so of course if you want a TV version kit this one ain't for you. As a model kit, though, I think it's far superior to the Kotobukiya and offers a much more enjoyable build experience.

You summed up my thoughts about the RG. They look so dang cool and I am tempted to get them. However the thing that annoys me are the bicep rotation thing and the weird forearms. The overdone panel lines irked me at first but now I kinda like it. Just the stupid bicep and forearms that turn me away right now.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:45 am

"Anime accurate proportions" is kind of a non-argument honestly, since depending on the shot, those proportions are going to looks very different just by the nature of the medium. Just get whatever looks cool.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:12 pm

What do you guys think of Bandai's ungraded Unit 06 model? I've been eyeing it for a couple weeks at my hobby store's Gunpla section and I'm seriously considering getting it. Like having it in it's descending pose with Cassius like it's going down into Terminal Dogma would be so fucking rad.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:35 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:What do you guys think of Bandai's ungraded Unit 06 model? I've been eyeing it for a couple weeks at my hobby store's Gunpla section and I'm seriously considering getting it. Like having it in it's descending pose with Cassius like it's going down into Terminal Dogma would be so fucking rad.

Pretty sure that's just an HG. So of course it comes with the same issues, mostly just being the rubber arms. After trying to pose my Unit-02 I realized another thing that makes the rubber arms inexcusable... because of the very limited forward-arm movement and the lack of a bicep rotation, it actually can't be properly posed with a palette rifle, which is arguably the Eva's most iconic weapon after the Lance of Longinus. It can be held one-handed, but you can't have the other hand under the barrel in a proper rifle-holding pose.

If this figure was <$30 I would've bought it already because Mark 6 is probably my favorite Eva design, but I'm just gonna wait to see if Kotobukiya puts one out eventually or if Bandai decides to do an RG kit.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:04 pm

Well, the RG has just been announced the other day, and just the shoulders alone look infinitely better than on the old kit, so I'd go for that instead

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:09 pm

You gotta link or a photo? I've tried searching online but nothing's coming up.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:09 pm

(HobbySite being Bandai's official twitter)

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:21 pm

That one is missing an abdominal segment :uhh:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:09 pm

I'm not positive; it looks like it might be partially tucked underneath the chestplate

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:43 am

Quick and dirty photo manipulation shows that they’re likely “cheating” by using a chest piece that kinda-sorta has an extra torso segment molded into it underneath. It does look like they’re reusing the vast majority of the molds so I wouldn’t expect any major structural changes.

Just based on the silhouette it looks a lot bulkier than I usually picture Mk 6 to be, even with the apparently slimmed-down arms. I’ll have to wait for actual clear pictures to make any lasting judgments.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:53 pm

It's pretty annoying that none of the Bandai lines have a complete lineup:
- Robot Damashii '10: missing 06, 08
- Robot Damashii '20: missing 03 (teased but not announced), 06
- Real Grade: missing 03 (teased but not announced)

Shame that Revoltech is the only option for a complete lineup, since I think they're dramatically inferior to anything Bandai puts out. Hopefully we'll at least get Mk13 announced for some of the lines after the movie releases.
i want rebuild

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:00 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:It's pretty annoying that none of the Bandai lines have a complete lineup:
- Robot Damashii '10: missing 06, 08
- Robot Damashii '20: missing 03 (teased but not announced), 06
- Real Grade: missing 03 (teased but not announced)

An only Revoltech made an Eva 05 figure :tongue:

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:44 pm

To be fair, a RG 05 would be roughly PG-sized. Those legs are MASSIVE

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:40 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:To be fair, a RG 05 would be roughly PG-sized. Those legs are MASSIVE

True dat :lol:

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:12 pm

BRUHHH UNIT 06 RG LOOKS SICK AS FUCK
I really don't mind that it looks a bit more chunky than the anime design, I know part of the reason the old HG EVAs are so damn hard to pose is because of their nonexistent waistline in contrast to their broad shoulders. Unit 06 did always look a bit too scrawny to me, in comparison to the giant itself. Like the armor caused the giant to be compressed. Plus there's also the Twelfth Angel up in there so it makes far more sense for it to be just as chonky, if not more so, than the rest of the humanoid EVAs.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”