Dialogue help!

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Dialogue help!

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:55 pm

I'm stuck again and this one is a massive headache!

It's the very start of episode 21, before the opening credits.
This bit is a directors cut scene, so none of it is included in the template subs (which I believe came from the ADV VHS).
Further to this, it's a bit of a voice montage, some overlapping others, fading in and out and Keel is talking over the top of them.

I've got a sound clip and a draft of what I think I hear.
This one might take a few of us to fill in some of the gaps.
Does anyone have access to any of the subtitle scripts of this scene? It might give us some clues.

Sound clip:
https://mega.nz/file/k4YHhIIZ#UWLJkd85uwIfGAaGpd8zV8PR8MoJl-fCKbgVwir5RN4

I heard that Ikari and his group are leaving with the (map?)

...but only the S2 theory can explain that giant's power.

Man, I wish they couldn't .... a little longer.

Not much of a...

When all (the data to?) get verified, then I'll accept.

They were talking about leaving the pole to.... Katsuragi.

A delicate hand...

What about the Lance of Longinous?

...says it was shipped here last week ... ..... secret.

It's bad enough when the fruit is .... god forsaken ...

The contact experiment. The doner is scheduled for the 13th of next month.

Missing that recital session...

(Passing?) is the same to me.

Japan's just so small.

No, it's your country that's too big.

Todays experiment is on .... threshold signal at that field, right?

Right.

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:25 am

Center:

You mean the super solenoid theory that doctor Katsuragi proposed?

That theory is outrageous, and nothing more than a hypothesis at this point.

But only the S2 theory can explain that giant's power.

(cb)Then we don't actually need to measure it to know if it's the truth.

Scientists put too much faith in their own ideals.

They're a/the self righteous kind.

And they become fixated pretty easily. After all, they're incapable of accurately assessing reality.

And those are the people seeking to find the truth, if it's better.

And in fact, they're not so noble. Discovery may be joy but knowledge is power. All they're doing is trying to benefit themselves.

Todays experiment is on the ego threshold signal at that field, right?

Right.

Background:

I heard that Ikari and his group are leaving on the 11th/12th(the pronunciation indicates both. But if we take this theoretically, Gendo mentioned of leaving Antarctica the day before the impact. That makes it 12th).

Man, I wish they'd put the smoking area a little bit closer.

I'll just be glad there is one. They were talking about making the whole facility non-smoking.

If they'd done that, I wouldn't be here.

(Center-ish Background)When all the datas have been verified, then I'll accept it.

What about the Lance of Longinous?

It's been sitting here since it was shipped here last week from the dead sea.

(This should be something like "what are they?" But the pronunciation I'm hearing for "what are" is something that also has a "N" in the beginning. So, I'm confused)...they? The cold is bad enough but the fruit is equally god forsaken.

(cb)The contact experiment with the doner is scheduled for the 13th of next month.

We'll begin to make the adjustments in time.

Missing that recital session that I had.

Are you sure about that?

How is this the same to me? Japan's just so small.

No, it's your country that's too big.

Note: The central vocals are the dialogue of SEELE in which the first two sentences are spoken by two random SEELE dudes. The rest is between Gendo and Kiel. And the background is between three regular crew(2 male, 1 female) in that expedition, like Maya, Hyuga and Aoba. The center-ish background(italicized) is probably announcements or statements of some sort, not to be mistaken as parts of the dialogue between those 3 crew or SEELE.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:41 pm

Thank you, Berserker!

I didn't even notice that one was Gendo's voice! Yet I noticed Keel. :facepalm:

Doing this scene is running into some difficulties because I'll have to have 3 or 4 layers of subs overlapping each other.
I'll get there though because I'm far too stubborn to quit, haha.

It looks like I might have to do this scene with hard subs though to make it work.
Last edited by AWinters on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:49 pm

View Original PostAWinters wrote:It looks like I might have to do this scene with hard subs though to make it work.

I can't see what you would gain over using ASS subs to position things around the screen so they can overlap in time without interference.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:22 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:
View Original PostAWinters#906170 wrote:It looks like I might have to do this scene with hard subs though to make it work.

I can't see what you would gain over using ASS subs to position things around the screen so they can overlap in time without interference.

I'm doing the editing with .ssa then exporting them as .sup files.
I'm just having a trouble working out how to keep them overlapped once exported.
I've tried muxing .ssa with the videos, but I seem to lose control of the font when I do this.
I'll continue to experiment with it.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:35 am

View Original PostAWinters wrote:'ve tried muxing .ssa with the videos, but I seem to lose control of the font when I do this.

You know to embed the font in the video, right?

I do a fair bit of this, if you need help.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:34 am

View Original PostAWinters#906186 wrote:'ve tried muxing .ssa with the videos, but I seem to lose control of the font when I do this.

You know to embed the font in the video, right?

I do a fair bit of this, if you need help.

Thank you. I've just got it worked out.

There are two font editing options and I was fighting with the wrong one :facepalm:
So, it was consistently publishing a different font to what I thought I was putting in.
Got there in the end!

I'm working with "Subtitle Edit". I hear that Aegisub is the recommended one, but I've spent hours just trying to get the subs to actually play on the preview. I keep trying again before realising why I gave up.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:12 pm

View Original PostAWinters wrote:
View Original Postpwhodges#906259 wrote:I'm working with "Subtitle Edit". I hear that Aegisub is the recommended one, but I've spent hours just trying to get the subs to actually play on the preview. I keep trying again before realising why I gave up.

Aegisub is the one for SSA/ASS for sure. It has quirks, but they are easily coped with. Unfortunately development stopped quite some years ago, and there's no real alternative approaching its feature set. I have just been using the last beta update of it for producing ASS subs for 83 episodes of Inuyasha (starting with text and positions OCRed from the PGS subs by DVDSubExt).

The subs just play - what kind of difficulty were you having?

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:11 pm

View Original PostAWinters#906264 wrote:

Aegisub is the one for SSA/ASS for sure. It has quirks, but they are easily coped with. Unfortunately development stopped quite some years ago, and there's no real alternative approaching its feature set. I have just been using the last beta update of it for producing ASS subs for 83 episodes of Inuyasha (starting with text and positions OCRed from the PGS subs by DVDSubExt).

The subs just play - what kind of difficulty were you having?

The video plays in preview, but the subs don't.
I've uninstalled it many times and combed through the settings and I just can't get the subs to play in preview.
Subtitle Edit has come a long way though and it seems to have all the features I could ever need (plus it's designed in a way that users can design their own plugins and features, but that's beyond my abilities).
I'd like to see what Aegisub is like, but I don't think it gets along with my laptop.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 pm

I've got further on the intro of Ep21, but still got some gaps to fill in and some corrections (I'm not confident about some of my interpretations).
This time it includes the full intro.
The dialogue is now organised in editing, but here I've posted it in simple script in order of starting time.

If you listen to this with headphones, brace yourself after the word "right" for the very sudden volume change:
https://mega.nz/file/9wIgSJZI#ldrqcxJhgr-F4WGFe40Y7mLj0dkwZrmgiJBPcOHeYWg

0:00:02.40 You mean the super solenoid theory that Dr Katsuragi proposed?

0:00:06.10 That theory's outrageous and nothing more than a hypothesis at this point.

0:00:10.22 I heard that Ikari and his group are leaving on the 9th.

0:00:11.46 But only the S2 theory can explain that giant's power.

0:00:15.38 Man, I wish they put the smoking area a little closer!

0:00:15.98 Then we don't actually need them measured to know what's been proven.

0:00:17.48 Scientists put too much faith in their own ideas.

0:00:21.21 When all the datas have been verified, then I'll accept it.

0:00:21.23 They were talking about making the whole facility non smoking.

0:00:21.98 They're a self righteous kind, aren't they?

0:00:24.18 If they'd done that, I wouldn't be here.

0:00:25.08 And they become fixated too easily

0:00:27.50 After all, they're incapable of accurately assessing reality.

0:00:28.00 What about the Lance of Longinus?

0:00:29.93 It's been sitting since it was shipped here last week from the Dead Sea.

0:00:31.69 The cold is bad enough, but the fruit is equally god forsaken.

0:00:31.90 And those are the people seeking to find the truth, it is quite ironic.

0:00:34.71 The contact experiment. The donor is scheduled for the 13th of next month.

0:00:37.01 And in fact, they are not so noble.

0:00:39.54 Missing that recital session that I had.

0:00:39.74 Discovery may be joy, but knowledge is power.

0:00:40.64 We'll be able to make the adjustments in time.

0:00:42.54 Weren't you wrong...

0:00:43.14 All they're doing is trying to benefit themselves.

0:00:44.26 How is things the same to me? Japan is just so small.

0:00:47.31 Todays experiment is on ego threshold signal at that field, right?

0:00:48.69 No, it's your country that's too big.

0:00:50.93 Right.

0:00:52.16 Something's got to suppress the surface radiation!

0:00:53.16 Emergency! This is an emergency situation.

0:00:54.78 It's way over its projected limit!

0:00:56.78 It's no good! The DNA that was inserted into Adam has already burned in...

0:00:57.18 Try to protect the ....... base All personnel...

0:01:01.18 Pull them out now! All AT fields are being released!

0:01:03.88 Quick, emergency subsidal subset!

0:01:06.08 It's sinking in!!

0:01:07.28 I don't care if the adjustments are a small difference...

0:01:09.78 Keep the damage to an absolute minimum!

0:01:12.18 The atomic components are breaking up at the corp level! Where are you?!

0:01:14.08 Initiate thermal ... entry, but as soon as the Door of Gulf opens..!

0:01:16.08 Oh lacey! It's begun to walk!

0:01:17.58 I don't care if it's for only for a tenth of a second!

0:01:18.28 Walking confirmed on the surface as well!

0:01:19.98 Get it to use up as much of its Anti-AT Field energy as possible!!

0:01:20.38 It's been (confirmed?) the sync numbers are 80%

0:01:21.29 Deescalating the detonation is obsolete!

0:01:23.79 Countdown commencing!

0:01:24.29 ... what you can't!

0:01:25.19 It's spreading its wings!!

0:01:26.69 It's breaking towards the surface!!

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:27 am

AWinters wrote:0:00:15.98 Then we don't actually need them measured to know what's been proven.

I do hear the word "true" or "truth" though. I had edited the whole part until Gendo's saying "right" into two tracks, central and background. The central one is basically the main vocals being amplified while the rest is reduced to residue/noise because even the overlap in the frequency is so much that eliminating the whole background would cut through some of the main as well with it. And the background track is the background being more prevailing than the central in ratio, because again the same reason of too overlap between frequencies. So yeah, I basically wrote what I heard from these two and the original track that time. Anyway, the rest of that part-
SPOILER: Show
Something's got to suppress the surface radiation! It's way over its projected limit!

Emergency! This is an emergency situation.

It's no good! The DNA that was inserted into Adam has already burned in and physically fused.

Join the tactical division immediately. All personnel holding level 2 and below, evacuate to the upper area of Central Dogma.

The spear! Pull the spear/levers back!(I'm sure about the utterance of the first "spear", but the second one sounds a lot like levers, which from one point is logical as they can't possibly pull out the giant spear with bare hands. So they're basically using some sort of crane or mechanical arm which is controlled by levers to pull it out)

All A.T. fields are being released!

The conversion system has already been set!

It's sinking in!

I don't care if it just makes a small difference. Keep the damage to an absolute minimum.

The atomic components are breaking up at the quark level! Where are you?!

Initiate thermal dampening treatment as soon as the Door of Gulf opens!

Amazing! It's begun to walk!

I don't care if it's for only for a tenth of a second! Get it to use up as much of its Anti-A.T. Field energy as possible!

Walking confirmed on the surface as well!

The conversion system has already been set!

De-escalating the detonation is obsolete!

Countdown commencing!

It's spreading its wings!

It's breaking towards the surface!
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:43 pm

Thank you for this! I can hopefully get that awkward scene wrapped up now.

Do you think some of the background chatter should be left out or written in with a less outstanding colour?

I've been considering leaving out the chatter about the smoking area, the recital and basically all bits in that voice montage that don't have any relevance to their work.

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:13 am

I'll say, go with them. Since the main reason to make this sub is to be a helping hand for those who suffer from auditory disorders by showing everything in written state aka sub that's being spoken on audio, that part does get included in the transcript, be it in the background. They're not even completely unintelligible at all. In general as an audience, I'd highly expect every meaningful word to be in the sub if I was to watch with it. It doesn't really matter that much if it has any value story-wise or whatnot. Every single dialogue doesn't have to have hidden meanings or extra purpose to it. So yeah, that's my opinion. Do add them, but write them in a different colour or not but place them on top of the screen while the main in the bottom like they did for ADV translation sub like this.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:46 pm

I'm back with another one and looking for help again.

Ep 21

13:31
(Gendo) "Worried, ........?"

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:13 am

Montresor

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:52 pm

View Original PostBerserker wrote:Montresor

Thank you!
I've never heard that word before.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:02 pm

The original Japanese line was simply "Are you worried/concerned?" ADV's inclusion of "Montresor" was meant as a reference to "The Cask of Amontillado", an Edgar Allan Poe short story -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cask_of_Amontillado

Someone goofed up because the reference is backward. Montresor is the one who lures Fortunato into the catacombs, so Gendo (playing Montresor) should have said "Worried, Fortunato?"
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:50 pm

Ep23 (directors cut version)

12:43
Male member of rescue team:
"No (..?..) bionic substances..."

Immediately followed by a female member of the rescue team:
"(..?..) of level C.."

15:08
Fuyutsuki:
"The product of my dispair and (..?..) at the same time".

21:31
Ritsuko:
"In his (..?..), tried to make the God his toy".

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:32 pm

View Original PostAWinters wrote:12:43
Male member of rescue team:
"No (..?..) bionic substances..."

It actually says "No antibiotic substances..."
Immediately followed by a female member of the rescue team:
"(..?..) of level C.."

"The traces of level C..."
15:08
Fuyutsuki:
"The product of my dispair and (..?..) at the same time".

"The product of my despair and yet at the same time..."
21:31
Ritsuko:
"In his (..?..), tried to make the God his toy".

"In his folly, tried to make the God his toy."

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:33 pm

Thank you very much!
That's episode 23 finished now and I can start episode 24 tomorrow. Getting closer to the end!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”