Possible Spinoffs After 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
boyfrand
Embryo

Possible Spinoffs After 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby boyfrand » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:27 am

Hi Everyone! I know Anno said at some point he wants Eva to be like Gundam. Does anyone have a convenient link for that? But anyway, do you think some Eva spinoffs or other media will be announced some point after 3.0+1.0?

I hope they plan a movie about Second Impact (maybe it will even show how that body outline ended up in 1.0). If Misato’s scar similar to Lilith’s scar isn’t in the final movie, I hope it gets explained somehow. A miniseries explaining the events during the timeskip would also be awesome. But other than that, I’m not sure what I would like to see in additional Rebuild material.

I don’t know if Anno meant his Gundam idea would include NGE. But it would be nice to get something animated about the Classified Information (or whatever it’s called) from that Eva video game, that explains more lore.

If there’s another series just redoing the plot of NGE (or changing it up a bit like NTE), I don’t think I would be interested after the Rebuild experience. I don’t really want to start again, when there are potential, interesting side stories.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Possible Spinoffs After 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:30 am

I don't think that would work.

You could do it with Gundam cause the core of that was robot fights & war politics, you could do it, say, with any large enough 'verse, but the essence & appeal of EVA seems too tightly tied to this particular set of characters and that particular timeframe.

Though i don't doubt that we'll have no shortage of video games, spinoff mangas or stuff like puchi Eva

I also don't think that these hypothetical spinoffs would be strictly rebuild verse but rather use a vaguely similar concept, like the various incarnations of digimon
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:04 pm

Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:52 pm

I'd really love to see Anima get an anime adaptation. It's a common thing for novels to get anime made of them in Japan, especially those based on a pre-established IP like EVA. Besides, all that action is too awesome to keep restrained to text and a few illustrations. I just hope the first half of the first episode is dedicated to establishing exactly what happened in the timeline where Unit 02 was chosen as Seele's medium instead of Unit 01, why they did so, how Kaji is still alive, and an awesome Evangelion 64/Jo style fight sequence of Shinji in Unit 01 fighting the MP EVAs and saving Asuka in Unit 02.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:32 pm

An Anima adaptation could be interesting, but there would have to be a lot of work by necessity going into making sure the plot is actually logical and understandable in some way, instead of the no-holds-barred all-doors-opened absolute insanity that is the plot of Anima with all the fairly incredible stupidity and stupendous amount of logic leaps.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:10 pm

I've only read the official US volume 1 so far, I'm intrigued that it gets even more insane than Longinus the Space Hedgehog and the Shrinking Planet
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:22 pm

Unfortunately, it does x.x

the closest we have to an animated Anima (lol) right now would probably be Iconic Field, very fun short from Animator Expo
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Kiiwiibird
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kiiwiibird » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:02 am

honestly i'll never stop holding out for some kind of live action/realistic cgi movie

i don't care how unrealistic it is, you'll pry that concept from my cold, dead hands
Asuka or Bust

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:43 am

Also from Animator Expo, Another Impact and the OPPO ACE Promotional video are probably the closest we'll get to that for the time
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:55 pm

Thumbs Up for a REAL adaptation of Puchi Eva, not the surreal nightmarish speechless slapstick we got, which was inspired but not based upon the manga.

And Anima, of course.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:29 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:An Anima adaptation could be interesting, but there would have to be a lot of work by necessity going into making sure the plot is actually logical and understandable in some way

Anima's best trait is its logo. It's really beautiful and gives me some Sonic CD vibes that I love. Other than that, it's just a convoluted mess! A lot of things don't make any sense (like Kaji being alive) and the story just keeps going on and on, forever. Personally, I don't think that mere tweaks would be enough to fix it, especially considering that "light novel" is already a very difficult genre to translate into an anime. If even excellent works, such as Toradora!, end up losing a lot of substance due to the lack of a narrator, I don't even want to know what would happen with Anima. Oh, it would also have the potential to confuse many people.
I mean, I don't hate it. It's fun. I just don't think that it would be suited to be an anime. If it is to adapt something, I would rather see Iron Maiden/Angelic Days. It is also a very weird and questionable take on Evangelion. But, at least, it's more straightforward, I guess.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:01 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
View Original PostZusuchan#905656 wrote:An Anima adaptation could be interesting, but there would have to be a lot of work by necessity going into making sure the plot is actually logical and understandable in some way

Anima's best trait is its logo. It's really beautiful and gives me some Sonic CD vibes that I love. Other than that, it's just a convoluted mess! A lot of things don't make any sense (like Kaji being alive) and the story just keeps going on and on, forever. Personally, I don't think that mere tweaks would be enough to fix it, especially considering that "light novel" is already a very difficult genre to translate into an anime. If even excellent works, such as Toradora!, end up losing a lot of substance due to the lack of a narrator, I don't even want to know what would happen with Anima. Oh, it would also have the potential to confuse many people.
I mean, I don't hate it. It's fun. I just don't think that it would be suited to be an anime. If it is to adapt something, I would rather see Iron Maiden/Angelic Days. It is also a very weird and questionable take on Evangelion. But, at least, it's more straightforward, I guess.

I don't know if light novels are hard to adapt to anime, but it happens quite a lot, more often than manga nowadays. It's quite profitable and Anima is already finished.

What I don't like about Girlfriend Of Steel 2nd is that despite it's simmilarities, is not the real AU from ep 26, which was a world without evas.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:59 pm

I don't know if light novels are hard to adapt to anime, but it happens quite a lot, more often than manga nowadays. It's quite profitable and Anima is already finished.

Yeah, I am aware of that. When I said that Anima might not be suitable for an anime, I wasn't talking about things like profit and overall success, but rather the raw quality of the product that we, as consumers, would get.
The genre "light novel" is definitely a hard one to approach while trying to convert an already existing story into an anime. At first glance, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but eventually it is impossible to deny how the lack of a narrator negatively affects the narrative. Many elements are lost and, in retrospect, the anime derived from the conversion is generally just a rushed and superficial version of the original work.
Now, I'm not saying that it is impossible to make an adaptation. In fact, many animes that follow this line are competent. But it is undeniable that the original piece is almost always 100% better. Considering that Anima already suffers from several problems, I believe that this “gap” between the quality of what is written and what is animated could be even greater.

What I don't like about Girlfriend Of Steel 2nd is that despite it's simmilarities, is not the real AU from ep 26, which was a world without evas.

Yeah, I never understood that either. It seems that they were not committed enough to the concept of "normal life"... hahaha
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:58 pm

I agree with your arguments but remember : Eva is a money making machine and is not gonna stop after NTE. Add the popularity of the light novel market..... Anima is a good, if not the BEST, candidate to an anime adaptation. I'm only worried about which studio would be at charge.

And Yeah, GOS 2ND was a a coward move, like they seré afraid to embrace de full romcom tríp. First Of all...where is my genki Rei? Puchi Eva got her at least. The manga, not the WTF ONA.
Last edited by Jäeger on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:57 pm

On Anima: Yep, you are right! It would be cool to live in a world where everything is created with no financial incentive behind it, but that is not the reality hahaha!
Well, if an adaptation is really created, I hope it comes out as good as possible. I also hope that people don't get confused by it. I mean, there are already many guys who are clueless about the true nature of the Rebuids. I've seen people saying that they were created to explain the ending of Evangelion which, supposedly, is very confusing hahahahahaha! Can you imagine the mess these guys would make if Anima was animated (considering how crazy this story is)? Probably, many would think this is a canonical continuation of the original series, or something like that hahaha.

On Angelic Days/Iron Maiden: I believe that the implementation of the Evangelions was more natural in the game. Now, in the manga it was bizarre! I think the story would have been a lot more interesting if they weren't there. I felt that they served only as a mere fanservice, but ok.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:19 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:On Anima: Yep, you are right! It would be cool to live in a world where everything is created with no financial incentive behind it, but that is not the reality hahaha!
Well, if an adaptation is really created, I hope it comes out as good as possible. I also hope that people don't get confused by it. I mean, there are already many guys who are clueless about the true nature of the Rebuids.
On Angelic Days/Iron Maiden: I believe that the implementation of the Evangelions was more natural in the game. Now, in the manga it was bizarre! I think the story would have been a lot more interesting if they weren't there. I felt that they served only as a mere fanservice, but ok.

But the best fanservice would have been a real romcom, not that shoujo drama.

If people have promblems understanding the concept of diferent Eva continuities, they better don't start with the Gundam Universe. I'm astonished about people don't understanding that the Eva franchise works the same way others do. As a business is no different from Gundam or Macross, there are no illuminati behind. Khara wants money, as much as possible, like Sunrise. And if that means keeping alive the franchise with new products, be sure it will happen.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:56 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:I agree with your arguments but remember : Eva is a money making machine and is not gonna stop after NTE. Add the popularity of the light novel market..... Anima is a good, if not the BEST, candidate to an anime adaptation. I'm only worried about which studio would be at charge.

Studio Trigger. If Anima is so crazy, might as well go all out in the batshit insanity. :tongue:

From what little I got of the plot of Anima, aside the GAR Shinji and even more over-the-top Evas, there are other things that look interesting, like Rei's questions about her identity as a human being now that the giant alien god is out of the picture, as she looks more and more like Yui as she nears adulthood and that there are three soulless clones of her that she controls telepathically, Asuka being the badass that EoE hinted and we never got until Q and pirate Asuka, the story exploring more the background lore behind the Angels, Instrumentality or the Moons, or how the bad guys of the story
SPOILER: Show
are essentially a corrupted version of the pilots trio. (IIRC the Asuka/Eva-02 fusion falls under the bad guys control at a point, one of the enemy Evas starts thinking that they are Shinji Ikari trapped inside an Eva body and one of Rei's clones goes insane and yandere fo Shinji and is the sniper of the bad guys team)

But if they do that, there are things that will need to be changed, like the whole Mari loli catgirl, that thing needs to die in a fire.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:09 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:But if they do that, there are things that will need to be changed, like the whole Mari loli catgirl, that thing needs to die in a fire.

The way you described it broke me hahahahahaha!

By the way, I agree with you. There are some fun ideas in Anima. Rei, in particular, is an interesting case. She wasn't the most interesting character of the original series, in my opinion (even though I think she's really cool too). But here, she is definitely a highlight. I mean, they are. I love how there are more than one of her, each with its own uniqueness. Shinji and Asuka are my favorites, so it's also good to see the two more mature and healthy. Toji also has some good moments in it.
All of these elements should be enough to create, at least, a compelling story. But I simply don't feel it, unfortunately. I know that this is completely subjective, but the madness bothers me a little bit.
If they adapt it, I would like them to do a complete overhaul in some of Anima's core elements. Not only to better suite its new anime nature, but also to fix some of this "weird" stuff.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:31 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#906907 wrote:If they adapt it, I would like them to do a complete overhaul in some of Anima's core elements. Not only to better suite its new anime nature, but also to fix some of this "weird" stuff.

I don't agree : the wackier, the better :devil:

But the new aproach on Rei is interesting : lacking my own identity, I'm turning into Yui Ikari. And yeah, the relationship between two healty Shinji and Asuka is refreshing.

But even for shipping standars, bringing his hair to space is pretty creepy :bigeyes:

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Studio Trigger. If Anima is so crazy, might as well go all out in the batshit insanity. :tongue:

[spoiler]are essentially a corrupted version of the pilots trio. (IIRC the Asuka/Eva-02 falls under the bad guys control at a point, one of the enemy Evas starts thinking that they are Shinji Ikari trapped inside an Eva body and one of Rei's clones goes insane and yandere and is the sniper of the bad guys team)[/spoiler]

But if they do that, there are things that will need to be changed, like the whole Mari loli catgirl, that thing needs to die in a fire.[/spoiler]

Choosing Trigger would be poethic :D

SPOILER: Show
The resolution of one of the "dark evas" believing he is Shinji is one of the most Asushin moments ever seen, with obvious biblical vibes
Last edited by Jäeger on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:35 am

Jäeger, stop quoting entire posts when it is not necessary. Only reply to the parts of the post relevant to what you are going to say.

Also, it might be a good idea to take further Anima-related discussion into the thread committed to it.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”