Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:27 am

It seems to me clear from the trailers that Shinji will pilot again. However, the idea that he might not is not absurd in itself - indeed, I used it in my own fic (quick, read it now before it's superseded!)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

brer rabbit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brer rabbit » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:59 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:That's exactly the thing, there's some things that imply that they may have not been normally born at all, that they were all in vitro children that were the result of genetic experimentation

What examples/hints that they are not naturally born children?

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:33 am

brer rabbit the fact that Shinji's eyes flashed red before he activated the Pseudo-Evolution (I honestly don't think it can be plasuble to awaken Eva 01 just by wishing to take back the loved one without any strange power), the fact that Kaworu called Gendo father and that Mari seems to have known Shinji for a long time, suggesting that they may have already met in their first years of life in some research laboratory.

brer rabbit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brer rabbit » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:36 am

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:Mari seems to have known Shinji for a long time, suggesting that they may have already met in their first years of life in some research laboratory.

Isn't there another theory as to why Mari has a connection to Shinji and why she appears to want Asuka and him to get together?

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:45 am

I think there was, but I don't remember well, maybe it was about that woman who appeared in the photo that Fuyutsuki had shown at Shinji 3.0. As to why Mari wants ship Shinji and Asuka really I have no idea if someone in some thread had expressed an opinion. Curious that Mari seemed to want Asunashin when some official works of certain mobile games seemed to ship Mari and Asuka .. I I wonder what really are Anno's plans for Mari in 3.0 + 1.0 :???:

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:55 am

View Original Postbrer rabbit wrote:
View Original PostBlockio#905637 wrote:That's exactly the thing, there's some things that imply that they may have not been normally born at all, that they were all in vitro children that were the result of genetic experimentation

What examples/hints that they are not naturally born children?

The image of Yui with baby Shinji in 3.0, apparently Shinji and his mother (along with a suspicious looking woman similar to both Mari and Asuka) are inside a lab called "Artificial Evolution Laboratory".
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:57 am

“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:01 am

View Original Postbrer rabbit wrote:
View Original PostFXArmaros98#905768 wrote:Mari seems to have known Shinji for a long time, suggesting that they may have already met in their first years of life in some research laboratory.

Isn't there another theory as to why Mari has a connection to Shinji and why she appears to want Asuka and him to get together?

Indeed, but from what I've seen it's a theory largely dismissed by anyone, basically Mari would be a time traveller and was the son of Asuka and Shinji in the future... unrealistic at it's best.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:09 am

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:Indeed, but from what I've seen it's a theory largely dismissed by anyone, basically Mari would be a time traveller and was the son of Asuka and Shinji in the future... unrealistic at it's best.

Yeah, that theory is unlikely at best, but the one JoelcrNecro talks about has rather more points going for it.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

brer rabbit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brer rabbit » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:12 am

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:
View Original Postbrer rabbit#905772 wrote:Isn't there another theory as to why Mari has a connection to Shinji and why she appears to want Asuka and him to get together?

Indeed, but from what I've seen it's a theory largely dismissed by anyone, basically Mari would be a time traveller and was the son of Asuka and Shinji in the future... unrealistic at it's best.

This is neon genesis evangelion "unrealistic" is something that very much exists here LOL. Plus the title of movie hints that time travel maybe involved in some way.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:31 am

View Original PostEscapismIsBad wrote:The image of Yui with baby Shinji in 3.0, apparently Shinji and his mother (along with a suspicious looking woman similar to both Mari and Asuka) are inside a lab called "Artificial Evolution Laboratory".
Could that woman have offered to get pregnant of both Asuka and Mari?

Shinji Ikari Expy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji Ikari Expy » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:51 pm

Goat, your guess is as good as anyone else's. I like the video and I agree there is something fundamentally off about the footage of the battle between Unit 01 and Unit 13. It's almost like some doctored propaganda footage from an actual war -- it just looks wrong, like the parts were cut from other places and superimposed on each other. I'm not putting too much stock in it.

I like the theory that 3.0+1.0 will fill us in a bit on what happened between N3I and the events of 3.0, but who knows at this point? The first time I saw EoE, I sure didn't think it would unfold like that. I'd be disappointed if Anno couldn't shock me again.

I'm not bold enough to make predictions but I can't resist reading/watching them. I'll just need to turn off that part of my brain when I actually see the movie and enjoy it for what it is.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:11 pm

GoatJesus wrote:
When you name your movie "You Can (Not) Redo" and then focus the entire film on Shinji wanting to pilot Eva -- everyone telling him not to -- then he does and almost causes the end of what's left of the world... It's going to look a little weird if he suddenly pilots Eva in the last movie and saves everyone.

I want to point out that it would not be weird at all, because what "You Can (Not) Redo" and by extension the entirety of Q is really supposed to communicate is "you can't redo the past, so stop living in the past (and therefore your childish desires and wish for escapism etc.) and return to the present", not "Shinji should not pilot an Eva". An Eva is like a knife-it's not intrinsically good or bad, what matters is what's done with it. Yes, I know Evas can be sentient and so in NTE too, but the point stands.

Shun
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shun » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:04 pm

My 2 cents

Throughout the whole NGE Shinji repeats that "you must not runaway", but in the EoTV and EoE endings he escapes anyway, taking refuge in his heart and in the Sea of LCL. At this point Shinji finds reasons why he no longer wants to runaway. I must not --> I don't want to

In NTE Shinji won't stop thinking about restoring because "he can't do it", but he will stop thinking about it when he realizes why "he doesn't want to do it". This "why" will be the meaning of the NTE. I can not --> I don't want to

Good Shin Eva to all.
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
My articles about Evangelion
My Evangelion website

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:46 pm

View Original PostShun wrote:Good Shin Eva to all.

good shin eva to you too (interesting loop theories posts by the way)

In EoE, Shinji does get in the eva, rather reluctantly, and just sits there while instrumentality occurs, therefore the whole idea of Shinji not piloting in the finale has already been done in EoE and it suits the themes of EoE, which is a surreal investigation into the central character's inner mental state (similar to the series ep 25 and 26).

NTE is a bit different. It is more mainstream and there is less introspection than the previous series. We see Shinji feeling regretful of his past actions and resolving to never pilot the eva multiple times and yet he is forced time and again to go through the nightmarish events in each movie. It makes sense that the final movie focuses on his final feeling about being an eva pilot, which has been his core identity throughout the movies. He has experiences some pretty terrifying and catastrophic moments, but I think Anno will again finally lay the world's future in the hands of a troubled young boy again. The change from EoE themes, which is pretty dark and gloomy, will probably be more of a positive portrayal of Shinji finally coming to terms with his identity as an Eva pilot.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:58 pm

View Original PostGoatJesus wrote:
View Original PostArtyumR#905728 wrote:because your entire "thesis" is based on misconceptions, who said the whole "thesis" of 3.0 is that? and even if it was Anno just could do whatever he wants..

When you name your movie "You Can (Not) Redo" and then focus the entire film on Shinji wanting to pilot Eva -- everyone telling him not to -- then he does and almost causes the end of what's left of the world... It's going to look a little weird if he suddenly pilots Eva in the last movie and saves everyone.

Shinji still hates piloting in 3.0, it's just that after what happened with Asuka he understood that doing nothing in the hope that the situation will resolve by itself doesn't work and that if he wants to help and protect those he cares about, he'll have to pilot. In short, he found his personal reason to pilot. Unfortunately for him, his father used his resolve to awaken EVA-01 and by the time of 3.0 the context completely different.
And even after arriving at neo-NERV and being told that he would pilot EVA-13 with Kaworu, Shinji didn't seemed in a hurry to get to it, and once he learned of what happened to the world he was even vehemently refusing to pilot ever again, until Kaworu convinced him that it was the only way to redeem himself.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:47 pm

Jeez, this thread escalated quickly.

On a completely different topic: Am I the only who one assumed that potential Asuka(?) in winter gear was from "just another possible reality" scene (similar to: the 26 AU, + EoE live action sequence)?

Since Rebuild's post-2I world is similar to NGE where there's no winters after the fact. That could explain why Asuka seems young, too. But I suppose another explanation: if things are a post-restored world and if that is actually a young looking Asuka, the Curse of Eva lifted = she's no longer a battle scarred 20-something in a 14 year old body. (Maybe her eye patch Angel wackiness isn't permanent, who really knows?)

Otherwise, I'd say the girl does look like an AsuShin kid (some post end credits scene like I've always assumed?), but the very idea makes my head explode in confusion.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

brer rabbit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brer rabbit » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:22 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Jeez, this thread escalated quickly.

On a completely different topic: Am I the only who one assumed that potential Asuka(?) in winter gear was from "just another possible reality" scene (similar to: the 26 AU, + EoE live action sequence)?

Since Rebuild's post-2I world is similar to NGE where there's no winters after the fact.

That's not true as we know there's still winter or at least snow in 2.22 so chances are that scene is a flashback to Shinamki childhood.

Lacissal
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:59 am

Wasn't it in NGE that specifically Japan (and presumably other places on a similar longitude) would never have snow because of 2nd Impact's knock on the Earth's axis, not that Earth would be completely Snow free. In the Birth of NERV episode Gendo and Fuyutski are wearing winter gear when Misato is picked up from Antarctica.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:20 pm

Yep, in NGE and the Rebuilds, there's snow in the Arctic areas where Second Impact happened, but not on the rest of Earth. So it'll be interesting to see what the heck's the deal with that mysterious girl/that scene.

Now I'm reminded how (was it Anno or Yamashita?) wanted EoE (or the other proposed movie) to have an Eva battle in the snow....
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”