Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:37 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:I don't think Kaworu is responsible for Evangelion 13 that that stabs itself , if you remember the MPE of EOE stabs themselves with the replica of Longinus' spear after they fulfilled their task
That was still an action carried out by the dummy plugs in control of the MPs. there is no reason to assume Kaworu wasn't in control during that time.
I think prolonged exposure to the LCL can guarantee resistance to the blood of angels and Barrier L, because the LCL they use in the pilot stations must have the same chemical composition as the blood of angels and Barrier L but it is not toxic. I have reason to believe that Shinji, Asuka, (and certainly Mari too) cannot become Failures of Infinite, because thanks to the curse of the Eva they has already pushed their bodies beyond the limits of humanity to the point that they do not need to artificially evolve through. Both Shinji and Asuka came into direct contact with the core of an angel (9th for Asuka and 10th for Shinji) and both used a superhuman form of Evangelion (Mode Beast for Asuka Pseudo-Evolution and Giant of Ligth for Shinji ). Mari didn't come into contact with an angel core but she also used beast mode and exposed on LCL for a long time. For me there are 2 forms of Eva's curse: the first (Mari's) which is obtained by piloting an Evangelion for an extended time and the second (Shinji's and Asuka's) which could be stronger due to entered inside the angel core and have awakened the latent potential of the Evangelions they was piloting.

There is also the implication that this time around, the pilots aren't just your average humans, so I wouldn't pin everything on LCL exposure
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:44 pm

@ Blockio Maybe they really were never normal human beings, maybe at their birth they were Lilins but only by piloting could they awaken their latent potential.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:17 pm

That's exactly the thing, there's some things that imply that they may have not been normally born at all, that they were all in vitro children that were the result of genetic experimentation
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:22 pm

Kaworu had called Gendo father ... Mari seemed to have known Shinji for some time ... I support the theory that Mari could have come into contact with Shinji in his first years of life and that Shinji could have the soul of Eva 01. .. About Kaworu who knows ... 3.0 + 1.0 is close if the Japanese government allows it (:|

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:46 pm

*puts on tinfoil hat*

What... what if Kaworu, after dying in 3.0, is cloned/birthed back in 1.0 with some "fixed" memories of the past/future/alternate universe to change the progression of the story?

Okay, it's kind of ridiculous. Well, it's not completely ridiculous if you transplant the story of the novel the movie is named after into the film series. He is presented as a "message" sent back from a universe that took place years in the "future"(3.0) intended to change the events of the "present" which lies somewhere within 1.0 and 2.0. The unknown factor is the universe that the audience is being presented and how that universe is therefore changed.

Yeah, a lot of inexplicable parts to this, but it's for a different thread. Would be interesting because of his strange knowledge of the cast in the prior films who he had supposedly never met before. Also his line of making Shinji happy this time, other continuities of Evangelion excluded (TV show, manga, etc.).

Not claiming this is factual or likely that the movie is going to draw a lot from the plot Hogan's novel, but after giving it a read, it would be more interesting in my mind that not.

*removes tinfoil hat*
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:56 pm

After the last trailer for me, Anno is willing to do some madness too(I hope not) .. I never thought that seriously they would spoil the battle between the Eva 01 and the Eva 13, moreover with the spears and the fact that Gendo would have suffered damage ... I was really shocked when I saw the trailer that now I don't feel like rejecting any theory no matter how crazy it may be. I've read the Evangelion ANIMA's novels that show us what would have happened 3 years after the end of the anime if the events of EOE had never happened and Asuka, Kaji, Misato, Gendo, Ritsuko would have been superseded written by Yamashita (Evangelion's mecha designer), in these novels there are a lot of weird ideas that resemble the Rebuilds plot but what I'm about to tell you is something essentially too crazy even to be Evangelion.
SPOILER: Show
The Antagonist of these novels is Armaros a black Evangelion who appeared on the moon and is approximately 180 meters tall which looks like a winged black knight version of the Mark 06 . In the Fourth Volume officially translated by Seven Sea it is revealed that Armaros was the Shinji and Eva 01 of another incarnation of the world. In ANIMA there are no time loops and time travel but the earth is reset for allow Instrumentality to happen, making it possible for 2 Shinji to be present in the same story. The Shinji who became Armaros is not to blame for his own actions as he apparently has no idea where he was and what Armaros was doing. The thing that makes the most laugh is the fact that in the original version of ANIMA in chapters and not collected in volumes available only in Japanese is that the Shinji who has become Armaros is called by Kaworu who appeared in ANIMA Shinji's dreams as Me who is not me,a black being who hates music and lilins( :facepalm: WTF Why Yamashita?).Also ANIMA Shinji has his heart and soul become one with the core and S2 engine of Evangelion 01 which evolved into Super Evangelion and from that moment Shinji and the Eva 01 of this story are considered the same being divided in 2 bodies, and in the fourth volume they get the shape of a giant of light. ANIMA Kaworu has said some interesting things in these novels the most absurd among them is that ANIMA Shinji could be some kind of evil and human side that Adam wanted to expel from himself and that he is defined by Kaworu as the Serpent.
Anno is a smart person so I hope he won't follow Yamashita's madness

GoatJesus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GoatJesus » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:44 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:GoatJesus is desperately trying to find sensational things to say about Shin Eva while he still has a chance. Once the film is released, he won't be able to make any wild claims anymore. Which, I get. You gotta stick while the iron is hot. If I centered my YT channel around reaction channel content, I would totally milk the hell outta this trailer. (I'm more of a "So, you had strong feelings after watching a film, huh?" kinda guy.)

Everything I say is just logically constructed based on how Anno writes arcs and the structure found in his previous works. If Shinji desperately wants to pilot Eva in 3.0, he's going to logically find that he should give it up in the next film otherwise it renders the WHOLE THESIS of 3.0 irrelevant. In NGE Shinji's want was external validation so his need for happiness was the opposite, internal validation etc. Anno writes want vs need conflicts. My "wild claims" are all based in pretty reasonable assumptions as a long time fanatic. It's also fine if I'm wrong -- like I said, I'd rather be surprised.

I made the video because I was excited and it was demonetized completely due to the music used (as if I make any more than 20 bucks a month from YT). I'm not doing it to seek attention or "milk" anything. It's for fun. Why do you think I came out of retirement after 6 months of no videos? Cause I'm passionate about this movie and wanted some predictions on record -- the same as all you guys, just on a different platform.

And to be honest, I'd expect a little more slack in my predictions since I predicted the purification process being a key point in the film based on the Until You Come to Me short years before the Avant preview lmao.

Idk why your wording is so disrespectful here.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:03 pm

I wouldn't put it as harshly as Freaky, but I do agree that quite a few of the things in your video are nonsense.

Firstly, anything like "Shinji won't pilot at all" and anything revolving around the possibility of time travel goes against any basic narrative structure and in-universe foreshadowing (reasoning here); I trust you to be experienced enough in storytelling to recognize that Anno far more likely than not won't pull an ex machina just to ""subvert expectations"" with no deeper meaning other than "noone saw this coming".

What you say about the Magi is certainly possible, no argument there; however for the sake of argument, there is an interesting alternative reading of what this scene might mean.

About child Asuka - yeah, no debate there, the colors match up to scenes in Ha with the same filter, and I'm 70% certain that the hat is in her stuff somewhere, too; although I'm not sure why you think it's Antarctica or a cold chamber rather than just Winter.

Far more reminiscent of the way Misato clutches her arm is actually not her cross in Ha, but rather of Captain Nemo in Nadia; in general the references to Nadia are very strong in NTE, down to having possible implications about Fuyutsuki's possible role in shin.

Looking at the background lighting of the shots of the crew yelling (and specifically Midori's expression), I am quite inclined to believe that she will be the one to shoot Misato, which, assuming that the first theory I linked holds true, would place the sequence before final impact, because at that point, Gendo would be absorbed into Eva 13.

I quite agree that there is some fuckery going on with the fight scene, and the observations on the lighting are correct; however, the conclusions drawn from it are not.
the "Eva 13 is just replacing Mark.06" part is complete bs by the same standards that you applied to declaring the scene to be fake - it is by far the most finished of the shots, if any of them are in the movie, this will be the one (although if you look at this compilation of trailer pics for Jo and Ha vs their final movie products, if the circumstances are really going to be like that is highly doubtful, so my money is still on it taking place during Fourth Impact - either way, a so smoothly handdrawn shot is definitely going to show up somewhere in it). My guess would be that this is either the moment when 13 is confronted by Mari and Asuka, which if they are taken out by 13 would also give a rather very good explanation as to why Shinji is allowed to pilot again - because the other two have just died/been absorbed into Eva 13 - or indeed 13 confronting 01, presumable sitting on 08's Hakone Express rocket backpack with the spear rested in the corpse of one of their Evas. the biggest mindfuck here is why Eva 13 is in its unawakened state, for which I quite frankly have no answer apart from "probably some specific of Impact metaspace we don't know about".
The "it's a flashback" theory also completely fails to account for why Shinji had a 0% synch rate with 01 during Q, something that by everything we have seen about how piloting an Eva works can only be achieved through the soul (or in this case souls) inside the Eva blocking the connection entirely. And while it is true that NTI was not 3I, Shinji still wiped out large portions of Tokyo-3 with his doing, more than enough reason to harbor resentment towards him.

One last sentence about Shinji not piloting: There is thematic and narrative reason to believe that Gendo will allow himself to be absorbed into Eva 13 (more details again in this thread), which together with the omnipresent theme of combining things for shin, starting with the Title of 3.0+1.0 and Eva 8+2, but certainly not ending there, gives reason to assume that the way Shinji will be confronting Gendo is by piloting 01 against 13 (or at least thinks he is, given all of the weird sexual imagery in the Evas and Angels as well as the fact that, should this be true, one of the souls in each are Gendo and Yui, it's quite likely he will just be there to provide the in more than one way foreplay to Fourth Impact.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:28 pm

View Original PostGoatJesus wrote:Idk why your wording is so disrespectful here.

You know what? That's on me, dude. My apologies. We're all excited and we're expressing it in different ways.

My general concern (and perhaps the reason why I was as dismissive as I was to your video) is people making up the "perfect movie" in their heads, having the actual movie not live up to that impossibly high standard, and then blaming the film for not being what was imagined. I understand that it's been 8 years since the last movie came out, and thusly it's nigh impossible to avoid that from a lot of fans (both Japanese and non-Japanese), but I still stay as far away as possible from fast-held speculation about what a movie "needs" to do before I see it. It just sets me (and everyone I discuss the speculations with) up for disappointment.

Like, the only speculation I've gone in 100% on was that the little girl wasn't child Asuka, but is rather Kensuke's daughter. And I really only did that to raise the speculative stakes in a non-substantive way and make the wait time more interesting for me. (Although it does fit right there with Sakura Suzuhara in the whole "Everyone's already moved on, Shinji" vibe the rest of the 14-year-time-skip had in Eva Q.) I really rank that theory as slightly more plausible than my "Mari is a Miniaturized Eva Unit" pet theory. (Which I will still dish out in the future, long after Shin Eva addresses absolutely none of that, just to see everyones heads spin.)

However, the ways in which you get excited about Shin Eva are really none of my business. You do you, man. Just be aware that the film might not live up to those preconceived notions.

GoatJesus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GoatJesus » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:23 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:However, the ways in which you get excited about Shin Eva are really none of my business. You do you, man. Just be aware that the film might not live up to those preconceived notions.

In the video I point blank say I hope I'm wrong and that the film does something to surprise me. So IDK. I totally want it to win me over tbh and it doesn't need to align with anything I'm expecting as long as it's a logical outcome.

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I wouldn't put it as harshly as Freaky, but I do agree that quite a few of the things in your video are nonsense.

I literally can't see how this is any less "nonsense" than what I said. For instance: you'd rather reach into Nadia's hat instead of 2.0? Okay. It's pretty much as likely as what I was saying, except you didn't address why the blood doesn't show up in her coat etc. It's baseless speculation with some reasoning, just like my stuff to be honest. Shinji not piloting or giving up piloting at some point late into the movie is totally expected and set up -- it's not an "ex machina" (?) it's totally in line with what was thematically set up. It's not a "subversion of expectation" and I don't know why Last Jedi ruined the discourse around subversion when Evangelion itself was a subversive Mecha anime (much less 3.0, which was a total subversion of expectation). I'm shocked that so many people are against the idea that Anno would animate something totally fake when he's the same man that set up expectations of what Q would be and none of the footage appeared in the final movie. Even then, you agree with half of what I was thinking. So IDK dude. Different perspectives are inevitable, but this isn't some kind of theory crafting contest haha so IDK why you @'d me with this in an attempt to one up me or debunk my theory crafting or something.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:33 pm

View Original PostGoatJesus wrote:I literally can't see how this is any less "nonsense" than what I said. For instance: you'd rather reach into Nadia's hat instead of 2.0? Okay. It's pretty much as likely as what I was saying, except you didn't address why the blood doesn't show up in her coat etc. It's baseless speculation with some reasoning, just like my stuff to be honest.

Had you bothered taking a look at the threads that I linked for reference to why I say things, you would come to realize that it is not baseless speculation. A great many points taken directly from within NTE, and an entire thread dedicated to why the paralells to Nadia aren't all that accidental.

It is indeed not a theorycrafting contest, but a lot of things that you are saying are simply hot nonsense, so I do as we do on this forum, and present evidence against a theory when said theory does not hold up.

GoatJesus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GoatJesus » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:35 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:
View Original PostGoatJesus#905721 wrote:I literally can't see how this is any less "nonsense" than what I said. For instance: you'd rather reach into Nadia's hat instead of 2.0? Okay. It's pretty much as likely as what I was saying, except you didn't address why the blood doesn't show up in her coat etc. It's baseless speculation with some reasoning, just like my stuff to be honest.

Had you bothered taking a look at the threads that I linked for reference to why I say things, you would come to realize that it is not baseless speculation. A great many points taken directly from within NTE, and an entire thread dedicated to why the paralells to Nadia aren't all that accidental.

It is indeed not a theorycrafting contest, but a lot of things that you are saying are simply hot nonsense, so I do as we do on this forum, and present evidence against a theory when said theory does not hold up.

I looked at all the links and I wasn't really moved. That IS possible too, you know. There's a lot of stuff here that my video discussed that you don't address outright. This isn't a matter of some minor background change. The glow of the amor, the bottom up lighting, the fact Anno removed the exploding collar in 3.0's trailers etc. You just aren't even grappling with half the stuff I presented.

We're just going to be talking past each other all day.
Last edited by GoatJesus on Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:44 pm

Considering that just the first of them alone takes a few hours to read through I somehow doubt that, but let's not turn this into adhom.

You are free to believe what you want; however anyone posting their theory on here will have it put under scrutiny, that's just what we do here, and since you stepped up to defend your theory, I presented why I think it is untrue. business as usual on here, no reason to get defensive about.

GoatJesus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GoatJesus » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:46 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Considering that just the first of them alone takes a few hours to read through I somehow doubt that, but let's not turn this into adhom.

You are free to believe what you want; however anyone posting their theory on here will have it put under scrutiny, that's just what we do here, and since you stepped up to defend your theory, I presented why I think it is untrue. business as usual on here, no reason to get defensive about.

Are you really referring to the post made a year ago? I've read that eons ago :/

I stalk this forum all the time. So thanks for that.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:44 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:@EscapismIsBad
My guess about the Mark 06 merged with Lilith and the 12th Angel is this: it may be that Kaworu following the orders of the SEELE attempted to carry out the resurrection of Lilith by trying to merge it with the Mark 06 and using spears as part of a ceremony (I don't think Kaworu is responsible for Evangelion 13 that that stabs itself , if you remember the MPE of EOE stabs themselves with the replica of Longinus' spear after they fulfilled their task), I think the 12th Angel got in the way between Mark 06 and Lilith when Lilith's resurrection was starting so Kaworu had no choice but to pause the whole thing with the 2 spears instead of continuing. I think the reason angels have a halo is that in Rebuilds each angel owns the Guf's Door only they have to fuse that Lilith's body to use it, coincidentally the 10th Angel devoured the Eva 00 as if he knew Rei II had the soul of Lilith.
View Original PostFXArmaros98#905439 wrote:Barrier L appears [/spoiler]

Makes sense, Mark 6 is so interesting, doesn't really surprise me that it's the second most popular NTE Eva. Though, I have some thoughts theories about it, Mark 6 seems to be the precursor of the "new generation" of Evas, which some of them features S2 engines, angellic abilities and autonomous control (every Neo Nerv Eva exibiths this, even the Fake Angel's in the Shin first 10 minutes), curiously I never noticed it before, but if indeed the Seele Program made 13 impale itself and not Kaworu did it, we have enough evidences to say the autonomous Seele Program Mk 6 did the same... Zeruel was always kinda of scary, but NTE Zeruel is just another level, wouldn't be even surprised if the Tenth mindraped Rei during Ha.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

ArtyumR
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArtyumR » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:31 pm

View Original PostGoatJesus wrote: Everything I say is just logically constructed based on how Anno writes arcs and the structure found in his previous works. If Shinji desperately wants to pilot Eva in 3.0, he's going to logically find that he should give it up in the next film otherwise it renders the WHOLE THESIS of 3.0 irrelevant.

because your entire "thesis" is based on misconceptions, who said the whole "thesis" of 3.0 is that? and even if it was Anno just could do whatever he wants..

Anno: "OMG cool robot fights like those in Shin Mazinger Shōgeki! Z hen , Kamen rider 555, Ideon be invoked , Baldios movie ..."

BTW the technology now available to make possible the purification process undermines whatever message/"thesis" 3.0 had, it's the same tech as something you could find in Uchuu senkan yamato , the Cosmo Reverse System (everything returns to normalcy by use of a single effort at the end)

Ideon's final battle:
https://youtu.be/Cwf-DvQ-qoI

uchuu senkan yamato "Earth! Yamato Returns!"

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:49 pm

Why'd this thread get so juicy while I was sleeping? :emogendo:

GoatJesus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GoatJesus » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:41 am

View Original PostArtyumR wrote:because your entire "thesis" is based on misconceptions, who said the whole "thesis" of 3.0 is that? and even if it was Anno just could do whatever he wants..

When you name your movie "You Can (Not) Redo" and then focus the entire film on Shinji wanting to pilot Eva -- everyone telling him not to -- then he does and almost causes the end of what's left of the world... It's going to look a little weird if he suddenly pilots Eva in the last movie and saves everyone. Keep in mind: I predicated my entire video on being okay with being wrong. I'm not saying Anno can't do what he wants, but I absolutely think he's a smart enough person to realize that creating an arc via want vs need conflicts requires Shinji to learn that he has a responsibility not to pilot to keep everyone safer. He was manipulated by Gendo like it was nothing in 3.0. He is a liability as a pilot and that's more important than his savior complex.

Anno has never done anything the audience wanted him to do and the majority of people are screaming that Shinji should pilot. Which do you think is more likely? That he'll cave in to everyone else's desires? Or follow through with his previous movie? He can do whatever he wants. I just think he'll follow through on the plant.

I'm pretty much done with this forum for a while. You guys rock. Enjoy the movie when it comes out.

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:27 am

I don't have any problems with what everyone else is talking about. I thought you made it prettgu clear you were just spitballing and open to other readings.

I did have two things I didn't understand your leaps to though.

How did you figure a battle with Mark 6 would result in Shinji having memory loss?
I to have thought that the only way to resolve why Wille hates him so much is if he really did something after 2.0's post-credits stinger that we haven't seen, but then it wouldn't make sense why he doesn't remember it in 3.0, which is why I lean more towards the idea that Misato and the others have just smear campigned Shinji to be their fall guy.

And what did you make of the red scaffolding in Tokyo-3 and the missing Solar Panels? Though I would much prefer it to just be some troll background that isn't actually used in the film itself like you theorized, the intentional addition of the scaffolding makes me think that it probably means something.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:25 am

I don't always agree with Goat...just as I don't always agree with anybody on Eva lol. But I agree his points are based on evidence. There can be debate and disagreements, but this point some of you are trying to make that it is wrong from the get go...what?

It's pretty hilarious becuase Goat's video is exactly the same that everyone is doing in this topic lmao. Only he put effort in editing a video.

I liked the video Goat.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”