Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media: 2.22 You Can (Not) Release

Postby cyharding » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:57 pm

Let's say the Tokyo Metropoliton Government does decide to close the theaters, could it be possible that the movie could still go on in Osaka or Sapporo, or any large metro area, provided they don't shut down as well?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:10 pm

cyharding wrote:Let's say the Tokyo Metropoliton Government does decide to close the theaters, could it be possible that the movie could still go on in Osaka or Sapporo, or any large metro area, provided they don't shut down as well?

Practically speaking the answer is no. If Tokyo shuts down theaters the other cities would not want people traveling from Tokyo to their city just to see a movie and contribute to spread. If a shutdown happens it’s nationwide.

Again, my stance is the same one I’ve had since the beginning, do what is safe for the public. If the movie needs to go back into a vault and wait until 90% of Japan (or the world) is vaccinated them do that.

kboyrulez12345
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby kboyrulez12345 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:12 pm

Shit, I'm starting to think a delay may be possible as well. I saw a recent tweet in another thread about how the government is considering another shutdown..

Say, does anyone know how bad the spread was when the Demon Slayer movie came out?
Just a guy who likes Anime. Could be turning into an Otaku...

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:42 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Again, my stance is the same one I’ve had since the beginning, do what is safe for the public. If the movie needs to go back into a vault and wait until 90% of Japan (or the world) is vaccinated them do that.

I agree, and I intellectually understand the need for another shut down if it gets that bad. (And signs are not looking good.)

However, I have already allowed myself to get hyped up to the point where I will have a negative emotional reaction if the movie is delayed once again. I know I wouldn't have been able to see it this month regardless of the delay, but a sooner theatrical release in Japan just means that the other gears in international distribution could get to seeing it a whole lot sooner.

Also, I understand that being upset about a movie delay is weak, insignificant, stupid shit compared to a global deadly pandemic. I just need to keep the bigger picture in mind (which isn't that difficult for me, honestly) and I should be able to get by. But the first day or so after they announce a possible delay is still gonna hit harder than it did the first time around.

I really hope Toho and Toei are investing in streaming alternatives. Even if they don't have them in place for Shin Eva (which is extremely doubtful), I would hope this wakes them up to other forms of film exhibition outside of only theaters for future releases. Inasmuch as I love going to a good theater with a great crowd, alternatives need to be in place for such a time as this.

Damn, if New Year's Eve 2020 was tossing the One Ring into Mount Doom, New Year's Day 2021 is starting to feel like "The Scourging of the Shire."

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Stan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:11 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I agree, and I intellectually understand the need for another shut down if it gets that bad. (And signs are not looking good.)

However, I have already allowed myself to get hyped up to the point where I will have a negative emotional reaction if the movie is delayed once again.

Pretty much this.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:06 am

View Original Postkboyrulez12345 wrote:Say, does anyone know how bad the spread was when the Demon Slayer movie came out?

642 new cases the day the movie came out.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:18 am

This pandemic has flipped the movie industry on their heads with many turning to online streaming.

It’s not marked a total death in cinema but it’s certainly changed the industry forever in terms of releasing to stream.

Khara could easily release on pay per view if the cinemas shut and then re release in cinemas at a later date. People would still go cinemas to watch it again especially in Japan if the movie is a masterpiece.

I think Anno would feel too guilty to not release on 23rd jan after so much marketing and build up for it

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:36 am

Yes, and it's not like the last time when the movie was incomplete and production got hammered because of the pandemic, because there's no way Toho or Toei would want to push Anno to release an incomplete movie. Now the movie is complete and everything is on schedule, so a sudden last-minute delay would be highly undesirable.

I imagine that the movie will release outside of Tokyo, and perhaps the Tokyo movie theaters would operate at a much reduced capacity and with greater social distancing. So the movie could meet its January 23 release date, depending on how the emergency provisions are implemented.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:37 am

There's no need for Anno to feel guilty, and another delay wouldn't be the end of the world. But I would be for streaming.

What stings is that a delay would probably mean a bluray delay (I guess?). I honestly don't feel excited for the release either, since everything is so uncertain. When the bluray has a date, then I'll be excited. Cinema releases don't mean anything this or last year.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:38 am

Strangely, with 20 days to go, we got no news today.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:03 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Strangely, with 20 days to go, we got no news today.

April flashbacks. :(
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:30 am

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Mr. M » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:02 am

Well, after a full trailer what else could we get?
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:21 am

View Original PostMr. M wrote:Well, after a full trailer what else could we get?

A delay?

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Mr. M » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:26 am

Their latest info was basically a flex about being able to record in the Toho Center:
https://mobile.twitter.com/khara_inc2/s ... 8282721280
Dated 1st of January.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

Postby GhostlyOcam » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:41 am

^
That tweet was a screenshot from their fleet, the photo itself is dated December 9. Looks like Khara nigouki just got fleet on their twitter, the previous one before that photo was an old behind the scene video with Anno and co. making the first official teaser (the one with SPEEEEEEN Mari). Was expecting Day #20 to have some promo for 3.333 considering it's planned to come out in less than a week and Shin just had its big info drops last month, but now I'm not even sure anymore.

For some extra dose of anxiety, Grand Cinema Sunshine in Tokyo is suspending its advanced tickets sale service from January 5 onwards until an undetermined date following the news about the request of emergency state from the government yesterday. They aren't closing yet for now, but it's to anticipate in case a lockdown happens again.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:54 am

View Original PostMr. M wrote:Well, after a full trailer what else could we get?

As far as things directly related to the film, we could either get...TV spots? And some info aboit the obligatory companion book sold at cinemas. It's what I would expect.

BTW I'm not ready for the pain of a delay.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:53 am

Mean neither. But we do have a thread for that. It would suck if we had to post in there again, but it's there just in case we do.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:17 am

There was another day back in December where there was nothing posted on the Eva Extra App countdown, and it's not usually updated until noon EST anyways, so even if we don't get anything posted today there's nothing to worry about until we get actual bad news from Khara/Toho.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:18 am

∆ Didn't we get something else though? A behind the scenes look on twitter.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”