Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ShikinamiBogard
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva - New Trailer (12-24-20)

•      
  •      

Postby ShikinamiBogard » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:45 pm

View Original PostShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:@ShikinamiBogard

Can you go the other way? Make the trailer image warmer and see.

Here you go

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:49 pm

Thanks! :asuka_happy:

ShikinamiBogard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShikinamiBogard » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:54 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The visual resemblance is strong, but the fact that she has two eyes makes me think it’s not Asuka in Shin Eva’s present timeline, and the fact that it’s cold in the shot makes me think it’s not from a time prior to Asuka’s introduction in 2.22. But the fact that it’s cold outside makes me think that it could be from Shin Eva’s present timeline if it isn’t a shot of Asuka.

All signs point to confusion.

Of course, it's not the same Asuka that we are talking about, it's maybe an Asuka from a Human instrumentality , an Asuka from a Vision from Shinji on a Happy world or something similar.

But certainly it is Asuka

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:01 pm

You now what? Despite alternate realities being a staple of both Anno’s and Sadamoto’s Evangelion endings in the past, it never once crossed my mind that Shin Eva would have one.

ShikinamiBogard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShikinamiBogard » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:05 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:You now what? Despite alternate realities being a staple of both Anno’s and Sadamoto’s Evangelion endings in the past, it never once crossed my mind that Shin Eva would have one.

Well, the certain things here is 3.0 +1.0 remains to me the fact that is the union from the 3 point of views of them, Hideaki/Sadamoto/Tsurumaki maybe , just maybe the +1.0 it's a resemble of this the conjunction of the 3 pov

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:14 pm

View Original PostShikinamiBogard wrote:Image

Yeah it's Asuka.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:22 pm

Yeah, it's Shikinami. And she had that "I am so done with your BS" frown down early.

I'm going with the mini-Asuka being from when she and Mari are sharing stories about their pre-pilot days before they strap into their rainbow-plugsuits. Where she is in that shot (other than somewhere cold, duh) I wouldn't like to speculate.

So with that idea in mind maybe Mari's backstory will even tie into that manga final chapter after all. Yeah I know Sadamoto said he was just playing around by writing it but it wouldnt be the first Eva-related misdirection.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Nao
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nao » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:30 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:I know this is the majority opinion, but very honestly, I don't think this movie will end with an Asushin ending, and I am perfectly okay with it. If it ever did happen though, I would find that to be stupidest and most unreasonable decision to have ever been made in the rebuild franchise. It just wouldn't make sense to me.

I agree with you. I feel like 2.0 was really building up Asu/Shin but after the whole timeskip of 14 years it just would not make sense at all.

I also agree with most theories about the kid in the trailer. I think it's either a young Asuka in a flashback (since the whole eternal summer-thing seems to not apply to NTE) or actually some scene to the end similar to the Manga ending. Of course it might be some random kid but I think the resemblance to Asuka is just too strong. Maybe it's even her daughter in some sort of epilogue? Honestly the first thing I thought was just "please be not about time traveling" since I am heavily suspecting it ...

FXArmaros98 wrote:Maybe the mystery woman in the 3.0 photo is Mari's mother, she is maybe also a friend of Asuka's mother and Yui ... Mari seems to be older than Shinji by maybe 2 even 3 years ...

Since we haven't seen anything of Asuka's mother in NTE it would even be possible that Asuka and Mari have the same mother. Maybe Asuka's mother is Japanese and her father is German (as she is still jpn/german) while Mari has a different father and is a few years older. Hell, I even think Mari could have the same parents as Asuka and was just told she was half-british because she grew up there. If Mari and Asuka are related, they could at least explain both of their backgrounds quite good in a short amount of time.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:38 pm

There has been theories about Asuka and Mari being half sisters or something along those lines. Also, the Japanese voice actors for all of the “Nami” characters keep saying that they have some sort of commonality.

The plot thickens.

ShikinamiBogard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShikinamiBogard » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:55 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:There has been theories about Asuka and Mari being half sisters or something along those lines. Also, they Japanese voice actors for all of the “Nami” characters keep saying that they have some sort of commonality.

The plot thickens.

But what if Mari has ADN from Asuka's mother an it's a Clone , at this point all of the children maybe are clones not humans at all.

Shinji Awakes Eva01 with no problem
Mari Awakes Best mode
Asuka Awakes code 777 (yes I know maybe for the Bardiel infection).
Kaworu and Rei are obviously clones

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:06 pm

If this film focuses on Asuka, I don't see how that'd be strange. She had an important role in 2.0, and while less present in 3.0, interactions between her and Shinji were strongly hinted at/foreshadowed. If there is someone who can juggle all these characters, it's Anno (think episode 24).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:11 pm

I still think it's possible for AsuShin to happen. In 3.0 Mari gives us possible evidence that Asuka still likes Shinji:
Mari: By the way, how was pups? Did he sit and behave?
Asuka: He hasn't changed at all. He still has that drowsy, stupid face.
Mari: You sure you didn't visit him just to see his face?
Asuka: No! I went there just to punch it! Now I feel so much better!

This provocation from Mari always caught my attention, it's as if Asuka had talked a lot about Shinji during these 14 years, to the point that Mari suspects that she still feels something for him.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

ShikinamiBogard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShikinamiBogard » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:20 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:If this film focuses on Asuka, I don't see how that'd be strange. She had an important role in 2.0, and while less present in 3.0, interactions between her and Shinji were strongly hinted at/foreshadowed. If there is someone who can juggle all these characters, it's Anno (think episode 24).

About that I have an análisis from that

Asuka interested in Shinji in Rebuild?

Interview with Yoji Enikoda Screenwriter R0E

Many scenes of NGE had to be eliminated, many of these being a fan of the TV series we wanted to leave them but we could not because we had to make a 120min movie.
But we had the opposite problem, we began to see that gaps appeared that detracted from the development of everything.
And of course since I was in charge of eliminating the scenes, it was also my duty to try to repair those gaps, for example:

With Asuka we see 2 halves of her, the first is a strong-willed Asuka capable of repelling everyone.
And the second one, one that begins to be more friendly and a concern for Shinji's feelings begins to develop, this development of both is crucial in the plot but due to the excessive cuts of material this relationship I feel that it is a bit fragile so I had an idea in which, Asuka fighting against her loneliness, decides to enter Shinji's room without his consent, this scene was captured almost perfectly in Rebuild 2.0, with this, inserting this scene we can join these 2 halves of Asuka very skillfully .
Yoji Enikoda.

That said, we can see that it is Asuka who also develops an interest in Shinji's feelings, after the scene of the two on the futon in RoE 2.0, we can see how Asuka changes to someone more tolerant and concerned about Shinji to the point of wanting cook for him, we also see how she agrees to be the pilot of Unit 03 so that Rei can make the Family dinner because it is something that in the end would make Shinji happy and it is something that worried her.
This is also reflected in 3.0 when Mari asks him if he has already gone to see the puppy, if that was the face she wanted so much to see

And what do u think ?

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:25 pm

It'd be total character assassination to have Asuka still feel something for Shinji after 14 years though. A few of Mari's lines towards Asuka regarding Shinji hints that we're missing a big chunk of context, true, but if they even remotely go down that route I hope to God it's not at the expense of believable character building. We don't need a ship that leaks and feels cheap.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:35 pm

View Original PostShikinamiBogard wrote:And what do u think ?

Yeah 2.0 totally had Asuka have a crush on Shinji. It also seems from interviews that's what was intended. I'd even say it's hinted to be mutual to some extent (Touji married couple joke). I can't say for sure what Shinji felt though.

It'd be total character assassination to have Asuka still feel something for Shinji after 14 years though.

Like many things in 3.0, and probably in Shin, I don't think the 14 year gap should be taken too literally. One of Asuka's characteristics in 3.0 is "person who has failed to let go/move on despite passage of time".
If that just means her being bitter about Shinji or still having feelings for him remains to be seen.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:58 pm

Yeah, that's not a character assassination in the slightest. If anything, people failing to let go of things that are over by more than a decade is an all too topical thing for Eva fans.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:07 pm

People are too attached to grimdark outcomes I guess
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:23 pm

I don’t see romantic relationships being at all a thing in the final film. I know ships are fun to have but there’s already so much to do in the film and the importance of Shinji’s journey is SELF ACCEPTANCE. Not “winning a partner”.

But, most likely Asuka is going to let down her guard with Shinji and there will be some softening between them. They won’t become romantic partners. But they could become true friends.

Of course, what am I taking about? Despite the story saying everything to the contrary, the way ships work in pop culture is if two people say Hi to each other that “confirms the ship”. So the ship is absolutely on I guess.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:40 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I don’t see romantic relationships being at all a thing in the final film. I know ships are fun to have but there’s already so much to do in the film and the importance of Shinji’s journey is SELF ACCEPTANCE. Not “winning a partner”.

But, most likely Asuka is going to let down her guard with Shinji and there will be some softening between them. They won’t become romantic partners. But they could become true friends.

Of course, what am I taking about? Despite the story saying everything to the contrary, the way ships work in pop culture is if two people say Hi to each other that “confirms the ship”. So the ship is absolutely on I guess.

I always thought the story of Eva was about Shinji building a sweet harem - my life is a lie :shinchair:
just kidding

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:51 pm

I just finished introducing a friend of mine to the original series, EoE and all. When viewed through the lens of shipping, that whole movie is about how it will never work between Shinji and Asuka, even if the whole world depended on it. (And despite the fact that I think they'd make a cute couple.)

If NTE is to be viewed through the same lens, I expect to have a similar message between Shinji and Rei: It'll never work between them, even if the whole world depended on it.

Outside of that cherry-picked way of viewing a film, I really don't see these movies as leaning heavily into any romantic pairings.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”