Announcement regarding recent forum changes

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Announcement regarding recent forum changes

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:24 pm

Yeah, we have thrown around an idea like that internally before as well, but the logistics of it are fairly difficult. The kneejerk reaction would be to have a list of recommended reads to bring people up to speed on the baseline of discourse, but at that point you're frontloading a few hundred lines of text to everyone looking to join, so that's not the way to do it, either. Suggestions are appreciated!
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:18 pm

Yeah, we really need a concise thread explaining everything new users need to know about this community. The closest thing we have to that right now is the Geektionary, but as that page states it's horribly outdated. I was able to adapt to the community relatively quickly, but other new users might not be able to.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:52 pm

In case you guys are wondering why "General and Chit-Chat" has been shifted up where it is, it's because we've been having conversations based on the feedback we've gotten, and hope it provides a better place for new users to start than the scarier and denser Discussion subforum.

BusterMachine4 wrote:Yeah, we really need a concise thread explaining everything new users need to know about this community. The closest thing we have to that right now is the Geektionary, but as that page states it's horribly outdated.

I hear you loud and clear. By the way, the Geektionary was never meant as a proper introduction to the community, it was rather meant as a compilation of in-jokes and site cultural artifacts by a small, dedicated, zany community of Eva enthusiasts that existed during 2004-07 on the old Eva Monkey forums, Reichu's old Evacommentary.org website (now taken over by web pirates after going defunct) and the AnimeNation forums. It's basically a time machine of sorts now.

That being said, we're batting about ideas about what sort of thread or wiki page we could set up to introduce new users to the site. Do give us your suggestions and ideas - any help is deeply appreciated! :kaos_bow:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:11 pm

I have my doubts about that. Just pointing out to older EGF threads is something I already see, ironically enough, happening outside EGF. I don't mind newbies coming in and asking stupid questions, because at the end of the day they are the lifeblood of any fandom, and if we just shut down those threads, we end up stifle discussion stemming from these threads we end up reducing the debate everywhere as well as keeping newcomers from possibly engaging further with the community. Doesn't mean we can't have a "guide" or FAQ of sorts, though. The wiki already does that in part. There is for instance, one for 3.0: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Evangelion_3.33_FAQ

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:31 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote: if we just shut down those threads, we end up stifle discussion stemming from these threads we end up reducing the debate everywhere as well as keeping newcomers from possibly engaging further with the community

NOTHING of the sort. I don't know how you thought this was ever suggested or implied.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:57 pm

I'm not saying the threads have to be locked, I'm wondering if just linking to old stuff instead of talking with people and getting them involved is the best idea. I'm sure there's a balance in there, though.

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:02 pm

I like the new placement of the Chit-Chat subforum. Hopefully it will help new users get more used to the community.

There's one error, though: For some reason, the main page of that subforum contains the description in white letters at the very top. It isn't like that in any other subforums, so I assume it was an error. Could you please fix it?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:06 pm

There's some kind of error or bug in the BBCode parsing of underlined text that causes those white letters to appear, it doesn't happen if the text is simply bolded. After finding no satisfactory substitute to the underline, I've chosen to leave the text bold as it is. What a weird bug.

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote: I'm wondering if just linking to old stuff instead of talking with people and getting them involved is the best idea.

Again, not sure how you thought this was implicit? Isn't it better to have an FAQ at hand instead of having someone come up confused and ask for the hundredth time "Who's the soul in Eva-00?" and have the same conversation and explanation happen all over again? An FAQ is an asset for things like these, because it helps steer new fan conversations towards topics of genuine interest instead of keeping them at the level of "Hey, I'm confused".

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:06 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:There's some kind of error or bug in the BBCode parsing of underlined text
That one's weird. There's not even any odd CSS rules that could possibly apply -- and live-editing the front page locally to insert the expected mark-up

Code: Select all

<span style="text-decoration: underline">underlined text</span>

just works
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:51 am

Unfortunately our current PhPBB iteration doesn't parse HTML in the description field for a subforum, so entering any HTML code leaves it as it is. It does parse BB code, and not all instances of BB code cause the bug. Bold, italics and Strikethrough are free of the bug. Underlining, font size, font color, and links all cause the small white text to appear on top of the screen.

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:01 pm

Someone's having fun emoji-ing all the sub forums. If this is approved by others and becomes permanent, then i share 2 opinion-
1. Rebuild sub forum should've this - :eva01atf: . This one holds close reference of rebuild rather than this- :eva01_huff: .
2. Everything else can have this- :rei_poke: . This one is rather personal opinion. It won't matter if this is not fulfilled.

Also, underlining, font size, colours, links are working fine for me.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:46 pm

Sachi's dog as "Utterly Off Topic" brings personality into the forum. I love it!

View Original PostBerserker wrote:1. Rebuild sub forum should've this - :eva01atf: . This one holds close reference of rebuild rather than this- :eva01_huff:

I concur with this point here.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:49 pm

I find the lack of Rei disturbing. :reiq_stare:
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:05 pm

I love the new icons as the forum somehow now manages to look even more like a product of the mid 00s era. It's like a time machine.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:13 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Unfortunately our current PhPBB iteration doesn't parse HTML
I was tackling the diagnosis from the other end, by tinkering with the front page as rendered, using browser development tools (so all at the HTML level, and my machine only), rather than playing with the actual forum BBCode, trying to see if there was some odd style sheet combination causing the problem. Which there wasn't.

Browser tools with underline injected

What it rendered
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:37 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I love the new icons as the forum somehow now manages to look even more like a product of the mid 00s era. It's like a time machine.

That's exactly why I don't like it. The main page looks way too tacky now, like one of those pink flamingo lawn ornaments. I preferred it the way it was before.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:07 pm

For me the main page with these icons was polluted, I like clean pages. :uhh:
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:22 pm

@Tines - Gotcha. I tried that in my browser and got exactly the same results as you did.

@Everyone else - The smileys aren't all the same size, which made my selection a lot more troublesome than I intended. I've been using 32 x 32 smileys in most places to prevent the text from going out of alignment. Whether this brings warmth and 1990s/early 2000s nostalgia or is simply an eyesore is something you'll have to debate among yourselves. It's a cosmetic change, and if a majority dislike it we can quite easily reverse it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:36 pm

I applaud the choice for the FanFiction sub-forum.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:15 pm

Thank you, Tines! *bows*

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”