Khara's lack of marketing of 3.0+1.0: a lack of respect?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Khara's lack of marketing of 3.0+1.0: a lack of respect?

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:17 pm

It’s a discussion for another thread but when this is over the theatrical world is going to be different if not forever then certainly for the next five years to a decade.
The era of HUGE OPENING WEEKENDS is over. During the summer every weekend won’t see a movie that needs to make half a billion just to turn a profit getting released. People will return to the theater, of that I have no doubt. The social element of it remains appealing and people do want to get out of their homes and they will.... when it’s safe. But It won’t be to the same capacity it was. What studios need to be aware of is once a vaccine is available it won’t be like a switch getting on. It won’t be instant. It’ll take a few years for crowds to really return.
Again, it’s a discussion for another thread.

Back to social media, looks like a figure skater is going to use the music from Thrice Upon A Time’s opening for their next performance. That’s pretty cool! I look forward to seeing what moves are done to that awesome music.

Twitter Translation: Figure skater #田中刑事 With #緒方恵美 Talks posted ⛸️
Tanaka announced the use of "11170 CH edition 0706" of "Shin Evangelion Theatrical Version" for the competition program next season. The sound source was arranged from the music used in the movie according to the competition scale and officially provided.

girlifyoudidnt
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby girlifyoudidnt » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:08 am

I have more of an issue with the franchise's international marketing rather than domestic really.
The sad thing is that even without all this mess, TUAT still wouldn't have made its way to the west as early as it should have, given how absurdly terrible the license has been handled for the past decades. Imagine a high profile movie like this having to wait 6 months to come to the US.
Not to mention the lack of any sign of the movie's distribution here happening before its delay. In a time where distributors can get a subbed trailer out for an anime simultaneously with the original JP one, seeing Eva's presence on that end be zilch is disappointing.

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Here's my two cents on the whole thing.

Honestly.. At this point, I've already ditched any hope of new information regarding 3.0+1.0 ever releasing this year. I recommend you all to do the same. Besides, Khara, Anno and perhaps the entire world right now has better things to worry about. 8 months into quarantine, and things aren't really looking up, for me atleast. The plans of vaccines coming out by November and 2021 are great, absolutely, but this doesn't mean everything will pass by once the vaccine comes, and that everything will magically return to normal once we get our shots. World governments are still having trouble slowing down cases, and the death toll continues to rise up, day after day. Economies are in shambles, recessions are hitting almost every major country, including the United States, which back in February, had the worst stock exchange crash since the Great Recession, all the way back in 2008. The oil prices literally went negative back in April, and there's already reports of even more deaths hitting the United States in December. Not to mention, we still have those bunch of stuck-up lunatics who still, even after all this time, refuse to simply wear their masks, and actually believe in the real danger of this whole disease. We're going to feel the consequences of this pandemic years to come.

Face it, people. Evangelion will not be coming out as soon as you may think. There's no point in speculating, and it's just better to sit down, wait it out and accept it as it is.
Last edited by Tajai on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:29 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:I've already ditched any hope of 3.0+1.0 ever releasing this year.

Who hasn't lol.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:03 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:By the WHO's current figures (using crude mortality), it's 30-40 times higher than seasonal flu. You may consider that mild, but I think it's worth being concerned about. Of course, I may be biased by the fact that I am in the demographic for which the disease is hugely more dangerous - I may be old, but curiously, I still care about my life.

You are actually not biased, you're 100% right.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:07 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Back to social media, looks like a figure skater is going to use the music from Thrice Upon A Time’s opening for their next performance. That’s pretty cool! I look forward to seeing what moves are done to that awesome music.

I read the interview with him and Megumi Ogata (it was sort of understandable with auto translate), and it was quite interesting.
The movie is still advertised as "coming soon" even in that article IIRC.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:59 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:Here's my two cents on the whole thing.

I think Covid has been overhyped and news on the movie might come sooner than later.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:08 pm

Giji Shinka wrote:I think Covid has been overhyped and news on the movie might come sooner than later.

Personally having known two people who have died from it already and one previously healthy friend in their mid 30s who “recovered” but four months later can’t walk 400 feet without stopping because it hurts to breathe the words “COVID has been overhyped” is the dumbest thing I’ve read on this forum.

It’s not “overhyped”.
It kills.
And if it doesn’t kill it can likely leave a victim with permanent damage.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:23 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:I think Covid has been overhyped and news on the movie might come sooner than later.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Personally having known two people who have died from it already and one previously healthy friend in their mid 30s who “recovered” but four months later can’t walk 400 feet without stopping because it hurts to breathe the words “COVID has been overhyped” is the dumbest thing I’ve read on this forum.

The serious forum was locked for a reason.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:54 am

And that reason was to stop behaviour which is not happening in this thread.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:24 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:And that reason was to stop behaviour which is not happening in this thread.

If I wanted to debate how lethal this virus is I wouldn't pick this thread to do so.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:23 pm

Guys.
NO MOVIE IS MORE VALUEBLE OF A LIFE.
This Virus existes. There are people out there that are dying. Are suffering. Are fighting.
This virus is not "over-hyped", is a goddamn LETHAL VIRUS. In this very moment, what is very important is every single life that is saved .
Really, who cares about a trailer.

What I wanted by this thread, was discussing what GendosPapa rightfully called *Mismenagment*, not what the virus could do or his status right now.
Anno has his own rights to not make a new trailer, news, whatever it is. In Japan the situation is not completly under control, so the decision make sense.
It's just how Khara's not making this decision clear for the public that perplexe me.
Nothing more.
So, if you have anything on the subject to say or think, good. But for respect of those people, don't come here saying "virus is over-hyped" or stuff like that.

M out.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:38 pm

Yeah end of the day I’d just be happy even if khara said sorry we ain’t putting this out until the crisis is over and no one is getting infected or dying from Covid - regardless of how many months or years that will be

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:51 pm

I didn't mean to misdirect the subject. I just took real offense to the "overhyped" statement because I know people who have died. It's not "overhyped". It's very tragically real and every day someone can say it is one they should consider a gift because that means Covid hasn't intruded on their personal life. This thing strikes fast and once it takes hold on one person it can go far very quickly.

Back on Topic:
Thesufferingpumpkin wrote:Yeah end of the day I’d just be happy even if khara said sorry we ain’t putting this out until the crisis is over and no one is getting infected or dying from Covid - regardless of how many months or years that will be

This goes back to my original thought. With one simple statement of "Because of Covid-19 we are not going to release Thrice Upon A Time this year. We are hoping for 2021. We will provide further information at a later date." Khara could end 99% of current Whens-It-Coming-Out discussions.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:41 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I didn't mean to misdirect the subject.

You didn't, actually your points on the thread are excellent.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:43 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:

This goes back to my original thought. With one simple statement of "Because of Covid-19 we are not going to release Thrice Upon A Time this year. We are hoping for 2021. We will provide further information at a later date." Khara could end 99% of current Whens-It-Coming-Out discussions.

Excactly what I thought. It's courious that nobody in Khara thought about it, inglese there's something behind the curtains that we don't know.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:59 pm

I'm guessing they calculate they can keep people on edge and anxious if we are still speculating all the time.

A Renegade Deserter
Adam
Location: Back from exile to infiltrate and combat my mortal enemy

•      
  •      

Postby A Renegade Deserter » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:25 am

In one form or another we will get some news this year and I can live with 3.0+1.0 being released only after the pandemic is over and cinemas can work properly again.
"To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless."
- Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

"There is no difference between what is right and what is necessary."

"We cannot escape anguish. It is what we are."

"Collateral damage can be justified, if the gain outweighs the cost."

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”