Nemesis Ra Kozo: Fuyutsuki's Possible Role in Shin

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Nemesis Ra Kozo: Fuyutsuki's Possible Role in Shin

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:49 pm

[Split from the trailer #2 thread. The "real" content begins in my follow-up post further down.]

I'm not sure where I would even put these. They're kind of related to trailer #2 discussion, so I guess I'll just dump them here. Enjoy these bad shoops I made in anticipation of Fuyutsuki embracing the Gargoyle Within. Comes in both hoodless and hooded versions depending on how Klan you want Fuyutsuki to go.

SPOILER: Show

Original image for comparison:

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Trailer 2 discussion thread

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:33 pm

That.... makes me feel things....

unpleasant, downright awful things.....

I like the analogy/call back.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:03 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'm not sure where I would even put these. They're kind of related to trailer #2 discussion, so I guess I'll just dump them here. Enjoy these bad shoops I made in anticipation of Fuyutsuki embracing the Gargoyle Within.

I've never seen Nadia so I can only guess this means Fuyutsuki will be some sort of harbinger of truth, revealing uncomfortable "things" (truths) about the First Girl and her latest iteration.

:devil:

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Mr. M » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:04 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'm not sure where I would even put these. They're kind of related to trailer #2 discussion, so I guess I'll just dump them here. Enjoy these bad shoops I made in anticipation of Fuyutsuki embracing the Gargoyle Within

Just for curiosity, why do you think he'll go in "Gargoyle Mode" and how?
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:53 pm

View Original PostMr. M wrote:Just for curiosity, why do you think he'll go in "Gargoyle Mode" and how?

I think the whole train of thought was inspired by the combination of (A) NTE turning into a stealth Nadia remake starting with Q, and (B) Fuyutsuki looking uncharacteristically evil in trailer #2. To expand a bit...

We know that Misato, on some level, is a proxy for Captain Nemo, and the Wunder stands in for the N-Nautilus (pronounced "New Nautilus"). Nemo's nemesis is Gargoyle (who real name is Nemesis Ra Argol -- a bit on the nose), i.e. this dapper gentleman.

Nemo used to be the king of Tartessos (a kingdom of Atlantis), but Gargoyle, who was his friend and prime minister at the time, plotted a coup, overthrew Nemo while corrupting his male heir Neo, and founded "Neo-Atlantis". Nemo thwarted Gargoyle's attempt to take control of Tartessos' Babel Tower (a communications beacon that can be commandeered into a WMD) and escaped to became the captain of a high-tech Atlantean submarine (the Nautilus) and its loyal crew from around the world. Nemo intends to defeat Gargoyle and his legions of advanced war machines, prevent him from harnessing the "Light of Babel" against the world, and keep the other heir of Tartessos (Princess Nadia) and her power safe. Or something like that -- Nadia is a bit all over the place and the backstory is somewhat difficult to follow...

Gargoyle, with his stylish black and red attire, always-gloved hands, tendency to pocket them, and casually commanding demeanor, is somewhat reminiscent of Gendo. However, his voice actor is Motomu Kiyokawa, who most of you might know better as Fuyutsuki. (Nemo's VA, Akio Ohtsuka, joins the Eva crew much later on, playing Koji Takao in Q.) While it's tempting to try, looking for 1:1 correspondences between Nadia and Eva characters is ultimately a sucker's game. Nothing is quite so simple as that: for example, Gendo has elements of both Nemo (see their respective relationships with Shinji & Ritsuko and Nadia & Electra) and Gargoyle; elements of Nadia herself can be found in Shinji, Asuka, and Rei; much of Electra makes its way into Ritsuko; Rei inherits Electra's N-Nautilus uniform as a plugsuit; and Sumire Nagara feels like a hybrid of Electra from Nadia and Elvy from RahXephon. With the Nadia character parallels that already existed in NGE being enhanced by new forms of intertextuality as of Q, it's not entirely out of the question for this to continue on into Shin, and for the glimpse of "evil Fuyutsuki" in the trailer to be a harbinger of things to come...

So to start with, Gargoyle and Fuyutsuki don't just share a voice actor: they actually kind of resemble one another. Gargoyle isn't seen much without his mask, but when he is...

^ This is a combination of multiple screenshots -- where Gargoyle is turning into salt -- hence why it might look a little weird. I didn't feel like editing out all of the blue streaks, don't @ me.

^ Here's Nemo and Gargoyle when they were younger. Gargoyle is the tall bloke on the right, because of course he's the tall bloke.

Second, Gargoyle's real name is "Nemesis", as mentioned. In NTE, there are mysterious varieties of Evas that seemingly originate from Eva-04 in some way. One of these is designated Code.4C, "the Nemesis Series". On its own, this wouldn't mean much, but at the beginning of 3+1, Wille are attacked by two other Eva types from the "04 Series", 44B and 4444C. When they appear, Ritsuko offhandedly mentions, "The Vice Commander must be testing us" -- in other words, Fuyutsuki is somehow in control of these Evas, and we can apply this information backward to Q, where the Nemesis Series similarly seemed to "test" Wille. And far less lethally that time -- despite their ability to instantly vaporize Wunder and its fleet, they formed a lattice around the ship and then... simply waited.

Speaking of lattices, it's perhaps worth noting also is that in Q, it becomes apparent that grids are an important visual motif in the films, implicitly linked to Fuyutsuki via his shogi board. (If you happen to do a rewatch of the films, keep an eye out for this motif -- it's there from the very beginning, albeit easy to dismiss before its significance is rubbed into our faces. I hope to take a closer look in the appropriate thread when I have opportunity, but if you have any thoughts please do share them!)

And, uh, funny thing about the Nemesis Series... Look at Gargoyle again.

The "pillars of light" that make up the Code.4C lattice are stacked, interlocking units; each "individual" comprised of an eye with four extending 'arms' in a cross-shaped formation. This is visually similar to the symbol of Neo-Atlantis on Gargoyle's forehead, and the colors also basically match: yellow eye; black and red arms. :bigeyes:

For another thing, recall that Misato and the AAA Wunder provide NTE counterparts to Captain Nemo and the N-Nautilus, which prompts the question of whether any similar parallels exist on the antagonist side. Gargoyle goes through many vehicles over the course of the show, including a Garfish submarine and a Carcharodon zeppelin, but his final two "rides" are a sky ship (a type of aerial Atlantean battleship) and the Red Noah (one of the three Atlantean Arks).

And it's not too hard to find counterparts for these in NTE, either. New HQ is a twofer of sorts, since in its initial form atop the main shaft it's a visual reference to Gargoyle's weapon of choice, the Babel Tower; but once Eva-13 destroys the shaft, the inverted pyramid is revealed to be a levitating colossus containing all of the old Nerv facilities. Gendo and Fuyutsuki are seen on a Wunder-esque bridge near the end of the film, as well, pointing to the very real possibility that the inverted pyramid is a flying ship much like the Wunder. Gargoyle's sky ship is of course not a pyramid per se, but its main body has a triangular cross-section and there are three pyramidal spires on the top. (The Neo-Nerv pyramid has twelve such spires on its upper surface.) As for Red Noah, the Black Moon fits the bill quite nicely: the former is a flying saucer, whereas the upper section of the Black Moon is shaped a bit like a rather thick saucer. There are many other, much more substantial points of comparison, but I'll save these for my next post to the deep lore thread.

While Gendo has some Gargoyle traits, as previously noted, he also is partly Nemo, a role he's now sharing with Misato. The fact that Nadia character roles can be split between Eva characters in this way means there is plenty of potential for Fuyutsuki to "go full Gargoyle" wherever Gendo has been slacking off. The most tantalizing possibility being presented is that Fuyutsuki will go rogue -- not merely in the way we already know about (both he and Gendo becoming the enemy to former members of Nerv, lead by their former comrade Misato Katsuragi), but in the sense that he will betray the man who remains his direct superior. Trailer #2 is not exactly being subtle about what will probably happen to Gendo...

The writing is on the wall: Gendo will most likely use the Key of Nebuchadnezzar on himself and enter Eva-13 using the old control system, fulfilling the self-sacrifice we were told he intended to make. (The composition of the shot helps "seal" Gendo's fate here, as he is rather pointedly standing between Eva-13's splayed legs, with the top of his head slightly yet suggestively overlapping the bottom of the Eva's pelvis and-- Well, I'm just glad that Anno hasn't lost his psychoanalytical edge and we've been given such flagrant "unbirthing" imagery in promotional materials.)

This anticipates a reprisal of a familiar Eva moment, which plays out twice in NGE. (These screenshots should probably include subtitles, so just pretend I remembered to do that.)

It has also appeared once so far in NTE, in Ha during the equivalent of episode 19.

So if all goes according to keikaku, we can probably expect NTE to reprise the "Gendo's sleeping on the couch tonight' moment with its own version of "Take care of the rest, Fuyutsuki-sensei" / "Give my regards to Yui-kun" -- but presumably with its own uniquely NTE twist. In NGE, the point of the scene was to lay bare the relationship between Gendo and Fuyutsuki: for all the strife between them, they actually are 100% loyal to one another, and Gendo views Fuyutsuki as a mentor (he calls him "sensei" here, after all) and trusts him unconditionally to handle all remaining commander's duties. So, with the unexpected spotlight that Q put on Fuyutsuki, and that even less expected visage of menace from Fuyutsuki in trailer #2, what could we expect NTE's play on their relationship to be?

Well, Fuyutsuki tells us that Gendo intends to "sacrifice everything, including his very soul", so conceivably this will also include any sense of agency Gendo has. "Nebuchadnezzar's Key" doesn't bode well for Gendo's sanity, besides. So once he's inside Eva-13, the remaining responsibilities -- making sure Final Impact happens, the way it's supposed to -- will be on Fuyutsuki's shoulders. Gendo will be part of the "Impact machinery", and Fuyutsuki will be the manager, the orchestrator. In other words, Gendo will be completely laid up inside Eva-13 and entirely at the mercies of Fuyutsuki and the rather substantial forces that seem to be at his command: the 04 Series; a mass-produced Eva series, presumably to be manned by the Ayanami clones being similarly mass-produced; and who even knows what else.

So, if Fuyutsuki were not completely loyal to Gendo this time around, and intended to go his own way once Gendo was incapacitated, he absolutely could. He could become the Gargoyle to Gendo's Nemo. The Nadia parallels could potentially take on yet another layer here, as well. In Nadia, Gargoyle corrupted Nemo's son as part of his original coup and coronated him the Emperor Neo. The boy was always a puppet, but this became even more pronounced when Gargoyle had Neo extensively cybernetized, enslaving his loyalties and powers to Gargoyle's designs. Gendo in NTE is treated as a royal by Kaworu -- "King of the Lilin" -- which likens him to both Nemo and Neo. But if Gendo becomes trapped in Eva-13, and becomes a puppet to Fuyutsuki's own desires in turn, that would push his storyline toward Neo's: i.e., Gendo similarly becomes an enslaved cyborg.

If this parallel ends up playing out in any way, Gendo's relationship with Shinji could easily become involved, riffing on the dynamics of Tartessos' royal family. Emperor Neo is the older brother of the main protagonist Nadia, who only finds out she's an Atlantean royal (and technically not human as we know it) toward the end of the series. When she and Neo are reunited, Neo is still under Gargoyle's influence, and soon thereafter Nadia is placed under mind control as well. Ultimately, Neo is able to break free of this, and he sacrifices himself to lift the shackles off his sister. (Funny enough, this involves him being "unplugged" by Gargoyle and willfully reactivating in a moment that gets channeled both visually and musically into Yui's awakening in episode 19.) I'm not exactly sure what to expect from Gendo and Shinji's relationship in Shin, and I personally don't want a "sacrifice" from either one, but there are a lot of interesting possibilities that could play out here. I'd especially like for them to achieve a reconciliation (much unlike what happened in EoE). If Shinji ends up helping the imprisoned Gendo somehow, perhaps Gendo could reveal some things to Shinji that would enable him to "liberate himself" in turn?

Rei IV wrote:I've never seen Nadia so I can only guess this means Fuyutsuki will be some sort of harbinger of truth, revealing uncomfortable "things" (truths) about the First Girl and her latest iteration.

Go watch it! It's got evil Fuyutsuki in it! :devil: Plus it's basically proto-Evangelion and lots of fun to watch.

Even without the Gargoyle parallels, I don't doubt that Fuyutsuki will be doing precisely as you say. But with said parallels, it works even better, since Nadia (part of whose character got recycled into Rei) spends most of the show ignorant about herself, and much of the truth-slinging comes from Gargoyle, especially in episode 37.

Given how detailed this ended up being, I should probably do a thread split just for Gargutsuki...
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tidied up a lot.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:25 am

I agree that a separate thread for Gargotsuki is in the offing. The entire set of connections you've drawn here is fantastic, and I'm pretty convinced that Fuyutsuki's going to do a Gargoyle, with Gendo as a hostage. I imagine it'd end with Shinji actually reconciling with his father and trying to break him free of Fuyu's control - which would be the father-son reconciliation that NGE never quite got to.

View Original PostReichu wrote:

The entire lineup is spectacular, but the last image in particular takes the cake. I just realized that the positioning of the heads and objects around Yui cuts the window frame (itself somewhat gridlike) into the shape of a cross, making it look like a cross is emerging from Yui's head.

Also, the last photo features a pink grid pattern on the shirt of woman who appears to be Asuka's/Mari's mother, and a distinctive red grid pattern on little Shin-chan's shorts. That pretty much spells out that Fuyutsuki's involved with them in some way. Perhaps when he was talking to Shinji about how his memory was modified, it was Fuyutsuki himself who modified Shinji's memory, and may even have been the one to imbue him with a special "fate" or "destiny". But what about the woman with the grid on her shirt? Did Fuyutsuki help her conceive of special children?

And maybe I'm nuts, but does the pattern of colors for the shirts that Shinji, Yui, the woman with glasses, and the two men in the photo resemble those of the Zoa colors, at least partially? Something really familiar about Yui's green bag? Or am I seeing things?

I just realized that Fuyutsuki's eyes look like Gargoyle's mask's eyes when he activates his "shades" for the Tower of Babel firing. His mask, unlike those of his Neo-Atlantean minions, has shades built-in, and the resemblance is pretty striking. Has Fuyu replaced his eyes with cybernetic shades or does he now have them installed in his eye sockets, Deus Ex: Human Revolution-style?

Incidentally, I've been doing a little refresher on Nemesis, the Greek Goddess of Retributive Justice. In addition to retribution for those who show arrogance towards the gods (hubris), Nemesis is also the opposite of Tyche (luck/fortune/destiny) and is often the one to take away undeserved good fortune in addition to plain old retribution, and may be associated with justified resentment. In Nadia, Gargoyle has a God complex of sorts and treats Nemo like an arrogant child daring to face up to him, and seems to have a deep resentment of human beings. Fuyutsuki may have a whole lot of resentment buried somewhere within him to turn into a Gargoyle.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Nemesis Ra Kozo: Fuyutsuki's Possible Role in Shin

Postby Mr. M » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:36 am

Interesting view!
For what I can contribute, in 1.0 (if I'm not mistaking) Fuyu says that he's doing all "For Yui's good will" and in 3.0 he says that "It's all like Yui has project", so he's clearly doing that because of Yui, more than Gendo (Like in NGE, but in there he seems more ok with Gendo's plan) . In NTE it seems that Yui has a plan all along, maybe Fuyutsuki will go in "Gargoyle Mod" for complete it.
View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Fuyutsuki may have a whole lot of resentment buried somewhere within him to turn into a Gargoyle.

Yeah, probably the fact that he works for the man who married his love made him resentmented, and maybe Yui's plan, whatever it is, can make him have some sort of revenge.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby Blockio » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 am

I think I'll come back to this thread once I've sat down and watched Naida; as is, this is punching a bit above my weight :dizzy:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Zoop » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:24 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I think I'll come back to this thread once I've sat down and watched Naida; as is, this is punching a bit above my weight :dizzy:

Feeling the same, really gotta watch this one some time ..

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:02 pm

If you're planning on watching Nadia just be aware that there's this whole "Island Arc" 23 episodes in that's a slog to get through before it turns into the "African Arc" that's somehow even more of a pain to get through. I think the two arcs combines only last about 13 episodes, through, and the show picks up steam again after the two arcs and gears up to wrap up neatly by the 39th episode. You really can't skip the two arcs either because a few narratively important things do happen in it. The show is still well worth the watch, I just wanna make sure nobody gives up half way through it because they weren't expecting the severe tonal shift.

I think Anno handed the direction of the show to Shinji Higuchi for the Island and African arcs. Apparently the show was only meant to be 26 episodes long, but NHK decided they wanted to extend the length of the show, so Anno had to go write a new ending while Higuchi kept the show jogging in place for a bit until Anno could return with the new ending.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby Blockio » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:52 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:If you're planning on watching Nadia just be aware that there's this whole "Island Arc" 23 episodes in that's a slog to get through before it turns into the "African Arc" that's somehow even more of a pain to get through. I think the two arcs combines only last about 13 episodes, through, and the show picks up steam again after the two arcs and gears up to wrap up neatly by the 39th episode. You really can't skip the two arcs either because a few narratively important things do happen in it. The show is still well worth the watch, I just wanna make sure nobody gives up half way through it because they weren't expecting the severe tonal shift.

I've survived who knows how many boring arcs in long shows; 13 episodes is just two evenings, or one if I decide to commit.
Which alone for the sake of understanding this theory is a small price to pay
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:12 pm

The Higuchi filler episodes of Nadia aren't relevant to the Eva analysis I'm doing, so they can be safely skipped by anyone looking to catch up. The general rule of thumb is to watch 01-22, 30-31, then 35-39. This will still leave a couple of modest continuity gaps, however, most of which are addressed by this list I made a while ago:

- Watch show up through #22
- Watch #23 at least until the kids have made it to dry land
- Could watch the end of #24 for a little on Marie's back story
- Skip ahead to #28 and fast-forward to where Nadia & Jean are reacquainted with the Grandis Gang
- Watch #30 and #31
- Skip ahead to #35 and complete the show from there

The one point of continuity that's missing is when Ayerton reappears, but he's basically just "guy who showed up for one episode early in the show and becomes a regular during filler episodes, only to keep tagging along when the main story resumes and not do anything that actually justifies his continued presence" (yeah, he gets Marie back to Europe, but this could easily have been done by Echo or another member of the Nautilus crew instead), so it hardly matters. :tongue: Imagine if NGE got a shitty filler arc in the middle where Tokita returned as "comedic relief" to sexually harass Misato, and then when the show got serious again stupid, silly Tokita didn't go away -- it's basically like that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:29 pm

I agree with the rest saying skip the Island Episodes except for the portions Reichu mentioned.

I revisited the series in January and up to Episode 22 I was enthralled, moved, and having the greatest time. Then those Island Episodes hit and everything dragged and dragged and dragged. Suddenly the show that before in one episode could build an entire world and have wonderful moments of character growth came to a screeching halt and there was so much useless filler that I think there's literally one entire never ending episode that is just the two main characters having a poorly written and repetitive argument about being a vegan vs eating meat. Then they get to Africa for three episodes and it's somehow even worse!
But then those final Anno directed episodes come back and the show SOARS back again to life! I cried during the final episode which is top tier Ghibli levels good.

The experience of those Island episodes is like if you were watching the original JAWS and right as the main three characters head out on the Orca to confront that bastard shark a full 90 minutes of JAWS: THE REVENGE, one of the most infamously awful films of all time, is spliced into the picture and only after you've sat through that dreck do you get to the finale from the original.

And I would not be surprised if, as Reichu so eloquently hypothesized, if A LOT of Nadia is worked into the final Evangelion film which I think is going to be a much happier ending.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:56 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:The experience of those Island episodes is like if you were watching the original JAWS and right as the main three characters head out on the Orca to confront that bastard shark a full 90 minutes of JAWS: THE REVENGE, one of the most infamously awful films of all time, is spliced into the picture and only after you've sat through that dreck do you get to the finale from the original.

This is the most apt description of the Island Arc I've ever read.

I remember Gainax releasing an Anno-approved "Nautilus Story" version of Nadia, where much of the Island Arc was removed. I heard rumors that there were some other editing done to compensate for it or something. But, yeah, upon reflection, I guess the Island Arc is easily skippable. I remember the important episodes within the arc in the currently available US release of the show having longer-than-usual "Previously on Nadia" segments to catch everyone up on the boring stuff they missed if they skipped the episodes. (Maybe by design from the Japanese filmmakers?) In any case, the only great thing I consider about the island arc is how wonderful it is to fall asleep to on it's ADV English dub. That's about all it's good for.

But, yeah, as Reichu said, the Island Arc isn't important to the this analysis anyway. You won't miss out on anything here if you skip the Godzilla vs Mecahgodzilla reference in the episode where King races Mecah King around the island. (Unless Anno's gonna pull some really wild and random reference in Shin Eva, like he did when he borrowed the Goro Maki character from Son of Godzilla for his Shin Godzilla movie.) Also, you'll get to hear a lot of music in it that would later be used for the score for Eva Q.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Zoop » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:25 am

Thanks for the advice, tho i dont think i would skip anything, having followed One Piece for a long while, fillers dont bother me all that much :p just being warned about it is enough

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:35 am

There's "fillers", and then there's The Island Arc - it really is that bad.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Zoop » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:53 pm

Have you ever seen One Piece Enies Lobby arc? :P dont think gets much worse than that.

Anyway, this is getting too much offtopic. Thanks for all the warnings, but definitely will watch this in full

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:52 pm

People will vary, but the Anime club I was in during university watched Nadia and we all enjoyed the island/Africa arcs. We found them legit funny, and I will go and say they are NOT as bad as the rest of this forum claims, but 13 episodes were a bit much.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:45 pm

This topic is specifically about Nadia possibly anticipating elements of 3+1.

More of the thread has been off-topic than on at this point, so I will likely need to split it again. In the meantime, any further viewing recommendations should go here, please:

thread/11541/How-to-properly-watch-Nadia/
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:59 am

I'm beginning to wonder if there's something of a Star Trek: The Next Generation treatment going on - sort of the way Next Gen split individual characters from the original Star Trek into two and reassigned some of their traits to one another. I suspect that there's a Next Generation treatment going on here with the Nadia characters.

Gendo = Nemo as the King who is betrayed by a close ally + Keel Lorenz who wears a visor and is betrayed by Gendo in NGE. It fits because Kaworu calls Gendo "The King of the Lilin".

Fuyutsuki = Gargoyle as the old ally/Prime Minister of the King who chooses to manipulate the King's son and eventually betrays the King + Gargoyle as the troublemaker who threatens the heroes with various minions/contraptions

Misato = Nemo as the captain of a vessel of alien technology + Gargoyle after his betrayal of Nemo (Gendo in this case) and going rogue

Ritsuko = Electra from Nadia (her most direct reference), 2nd in command of flying spaceship.

Shinji = Emperor Neo as manipulated puppet of Fuyutsuki + Nadia

Rei Q = Emperor Neo as cyborg/brainwashed puppet of Fuyutsuki
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”