Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Velorex
Banned

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Postby Velorex » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:07 pm

tbh; even if 3+1 gets a worldwide release here in the states, I wouldn't go to the theaters... I can only imagine how Jp citizens will react and actually go to the movies during this pandemic.

Ballpark numbers show that ticket sales for any film in today's climate will be halved of that of non-pandemic years. Realistically I say streaming services would be a viable/similar gross venture. as in the amount of money khara/toho will earn from a theatrical release will be the same as that of paid-rental streaming...

Here's the thing; even if the theaters reopen; they cannot be filled to capacity; at min it has to be at 25-50% capacity for social distancing during ease of lock-down restrictions both in US and Japan. So by that metric alone the earnings are halved; not to mention that not all fans would be willing to see the film for safety concerns.

tbh i think 3+1 is going to be delayed till 2021 after a vaccine. Otherwise its not economically viable. only exception I see is a uninformed/impatient exec demanding revenue now and releases it during these economic times.
"the master of a cruel angel's hypothesis"

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:44 pm

I can only speak for myself, but I ain't entering a cinema anytime soon. I said some weeks ago I'd see it as unfortunate if Eva came out, had massive attendance and that somehow led to infection (not that it would necessarily happen, and if it did it might be impossible to properly track it to the origin). Tbh that visual of Toho reopening cinema in the middle of a pandemic using Eva characters...looks cute, but not the biggest fan of the idea.

But also I'm no scientist.

Edit: That Toho visual does show the "Shin Eva coming soon" screen, so... yeah they probably plan showing it in cinemas ASAP. This movie deserves so much better.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:46 pm

I'd say there are two options for theatrical release.

1. All involved really want the film to be a 2020 release and it gets a Japanese release end of year. Mid-November to end of December 2020.
2. They wait a year and have it be the biggest movie of next summer. May to June 2021.

If they release it this year, it might play fine in Japan theatrically because people there are wearing masks and abiding by proper protocols. But it might lose out a lot on the international market because the response to Covid has been... varied worldwide. And I do think Toho, Toei & Khara have sights on a robust theatrical release after the domestic run.

If they wait until next summer the world will likely have a stronger control on the virus through new established norms and many medical discoveries - the UK just this week revealed a widely available and cheap steroid called dexamethasone in a large trial cut deaths among critically ill patients by up to a third and could hypothetically do the same worldwide and that is great news, if it has the same affect universally and can start being used globally since it's readily available it could save countless lives - that the film would be a hit in Japan and could probably play worldwide and be an international success.

As someone who lives in the States and routinely went to the theaters once if not twice a week - last year I saw 60+ movies in theaters, some twice or more - I certainly won't be going to a theater until 2021 at the earliest. People here aren't wearing masks or properly socially distancing and they're too stubborn to do so until it affects them directly.

Either way, there may be some special surprise given to Eva fans on June 27t. Perhaps they could just release the Mari setpiece from last year online in pristine HD quality.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:51 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Either way, there may be some special surprise given to Eva fans on June 27t. Perhaps they could just release the Mari setpiece from last year online in pristine HD quality.

I'd settle for this...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Velorex
Banned

Postby Velorex » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:01 pm

View Original Postgirlifyoudidnt wrote:Collab visual with Toho Cinemas for the opening of their Ikebukuro theater on July 3rd.

Btw I checked out Toho cinema, https://hlo.tohotheater.jp/net/movie/TNPI3080J01.do
They dont have anything for Evangelion for the rest of July or August.
that tweet is probably some marketing that was invented prior for that specific theater... tbh idk why eva_information even bothered posting that tweet.
"the master of a cruel angel's hypothesis"

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:31 pm

I imagine Japan really is very careful with these things, and this is probably why they were less affected than other places (I think there is a close relationship between social behaviour and the spread of the virus, whereas apparently Japanese people are more distant, in a country like Spain people will greet each other, in friendly environments even for the forst time, by kissing each other on the cheeks, and a lot of behaviour that is now new in Spain due to COVID has always been the norm in Japan, in other words, they are probably more prepared). However, even with this being true I think cinemas might be more critical just for the fact that it is so many strangers in one closed off space.

Megumi Ogata doesn't decide on this at all AFAIK, but she did literally say the film was delayed so people could watch it without being afraid. I don't think that would be possible now (and yeah, that really is a less than ideal way to release the film, with COVID-risk in the back of your mind while watching). As much as it hurts me to say, I 'd also rather have the film delayed if it's gonna come out in cinemas. However, if they do feel it is safe now, I guess they can go ahead and do it. I just hope this is decision taken carefully.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Adam
Lilith

Postby Adam » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:22 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I imagine Japan really is very careful with these things, and this is probably why they were less affected than other places.

It can also be less affected if you test less people. It's as simple as that. And according to what I heard from some friends in Tokyo, there's a whole lot of people who don't really seem to care about the virus (looking at crowds on public transport etc). It's relatively easy to obtain such news on the internet, if you look for them. Don't get me wrong. I'm not judging (you), just informing. There's a lot at stake for a Nation such as Japan, economically.

Anyway, whether Eva will make it's way into theaters this year or the next, depends on their initial plans. If they were planning to couple the movie with the Olympics (and were perhaps planning to increase ticket sales e.g. by showing the movie with English subs in theaters so foreign guest can enjoy the movie while they're there for the Olympics), then perhaps the whole thing will be in theaters exactly 1 year later in summer 2021. If they don't care about the foreign experience at all, then probably it's gonna be in theaters before the end of the year, as the authorities have already announced their plan to get people back into theaters at some point soon by showing a few former hit movies like Shin Godzilla etc, i.e. to test the waters and see how many people actually will come to see movies, before letting any new possible hit production fail at the box office because of possibly prudent movie goers.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:27 am

∆ All of that just leaves a really bad aftertaste honestly. I hope when they test the waters few people go.

girlifyoudidnt
Adam

Postby girlifyoudidnt » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:40 am

Discovered something interesting. Seems that Kodansha is publishing an encyclopedia for Rebuild, set for release on November 11th. Found on Twitter that it was initially set for Jun 11th, but got delayed at some point.
https://amzn.to/2XQmGrE

No info on what it contains unfortunately, just the title. It first surfaced on Amazon on Apr 15th.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:59 am

Curious, could this be an encyclopedia for behind the scenes, or the in-universe content?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Welp, that encyclopedia will become obsolete within months.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Mr. M » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:02 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Welp, that encyclopedia will become obsolete within months.

Why?
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:44 pm

girlifyoudidnt wrote:Seems that Kodansha is publishing an encyclopedia for Rebuild, set for release on November 11th. Found on Twitter that it was initially set for Jun 11th, but got delayed at some point.

I could see November 21 or 28th as an attractive release date for the film (does anyone know if there's a reason why Khara releases the Rebuilds on Saturdays when every other release date in Japan seems to be Friday?).

Though I'm wondering if maybe it was delayed from June 11th originally because releasing an Encyclopedia that would realistically be full of spoilers weeks before the final film is a silly idea.

Shrug.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:57 pm

View Original PostMr. M wrote:Why?

3.0+1.0 will come out eventually, thus making that book outdated.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

girlifyoudidnt
Adam

Postby girlifyoudidnt » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:27 pm

View Original Postgirlifyoudidnt wrote:Discovered something interesting. Seems that Kodansha is publishing an encyclopedia for Rebuild, set for release on November 11th. Found on Twitter that it was initially set for Jun 11th, but got delayed at some point.
https://amzn.to/2XQmGrE

No info on what it contains unfortunately, just the title. It first surfaced on Amazon on Apr 15th.

Title of the book is "Understanding from Zero Official Guidebook: Evangelion Shin Gekijouban Super Encyclopedia". The "official" part is in the placeholder thumbnail but nowhere else on the Amazon page, though other sites have the title with it. This is the first official guidebook to be released since Entry File 1 for 1.0 (excluding CRCs), and its listed page count is about the same too at 128 pages.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Mr. M » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:08 pm

It seems strange to me that the same man who explicitly said "You will never get answers from us" allows something that can explain stuff that he managed to stay secret for 13-14 years (yup, is that long guys).
Maybe is something like "Explaination of Evangelion 1.01" that basically was the 1.0 movie with subtitles naming EVERYTHING (from vehicales models to characters name and grade,organizations names etc.) but updated to 3.0+1.0.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:58 pm

View Original PostMr. M wrote:It seems strange to me that the same man who explicitly said "You will never get answers from us" allows something that can explain stuff that he managed to stay secret for 13-14 years (yup, is that long guys).

There's no reason I can see to think the book will explain anything. Basically guaranteed it will be standard fluff that fills most of its pages with shit that's right there in the movies for all to see, and maybe occasionally recycles interesting tidbits from the storyboards. There might be an exclusive interview or two that are also mostly fluff.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:57 am

TOPIC.

In addition to not using Eva threads to argue about COVID-19 (we have the whole rest of the Internet for that), please don't let this thread just devolve into "any tidbit of news is an opportunity to speculate about the release date". This thread is already general enough, being a dumping ground for any announcements posted anywhere by anything even semi-official. Speculation can go in the most recent 'release date' thread.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Tajai » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:07 pm

View Original Postgirlifyoudidnt wrote:Title of the book is "Understanding from Zero Official Guidebook: Evangelion Shin Gekijouban Super Encyclopedia". The "official" part is in the placeholder thumbnail but nowhere else on the Amazon page, though other sites have the title with it. This is the first official guidebook to be released since Entry File 1 for 1.0 (excluding CRCs), and its listed page count is about the same too at 128 pages.

I threw the title of it on Google for some more results, and I stumbled upon this site.
https://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/16308623/

I did use an automatic translate plugin, so I could be wrong, but the "issue form" of the book is listed as a picture book. Could this encylopedia just be rough sketches of earlier Rebuild films, or something else?
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:22 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:I did use an automatic translate plugin, so I could be wrong, but the "issue form" of the book is listed as a picture book. Could this encylopedia just be rough sketches of earlier Rebuild films, or something else?

All it's saying is that the format is an illustrated reference book. Since they call it an "encyclopedia" as well, I'd imagine it's nothing more than a collection of entries running A to Z (or あ to わ, rather; and with numerals in front, hence "starting from 0") on different elements in the film universe. Which I suppose could be potentially interesting if this opportunity is used to release more official terminology (something that's barely been done for Q).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”