Netflix: Ghost in the Shell - Sac 2045...

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Netflix: Ghost in the Shell - Sac 2045...

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:17 am

Budget makes a difference. A movie gets more cash per minute than a series, and an OP that gets used every episode will get proportionately more attention too -- just as with 2D animation, where a polished OP can be followed by increasing QUALITY in later episodes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:47 am

I don't completely agree with this, as this seems more a stylechoice to me rather than something to do with budget.
Cause, imo, the quality isn't bad. It just doesn't fit GitS

That said, Ghost in the Shell was so renowned around the world for its super awesomely drawn intro (and of course the rest, but that intro is legendary) and soundtrack. SaC also wasn't as pretty as the original movie, but still fit a lot better than this mess.
So regardless the reason, what they did now is simply unacceptable.

Hence the outrage. That last trailer I mentioned, 2k Likes, 4k dislikes.
YouTube comments shouldn't be taken too seriously, but it's nothing but bitching.
I personally like this one:
Ghost in the Shell: Unity Asset Store

As with most things Netflix, seems to be really Hits or Misses.
This is a definite Miss.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:47 pm

I don't care for the graphics and the plot summary makes it sound like a retread of MGS4. No thanks.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Netflix: Ghost in the Shell - Sac 2045...B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:02 am

I'm watching; 3 episodes in, and I have mixed feelings.

1. Togusa is divorced now. I can't decide how I feel about this.

This I thought was critical to his character, but then again, was it really anything more than a diversity check? Besides causing a maguffin that one time in the last in-universe movie, was it ever really relevant to who he was moment to moment?

2. Bato admitting "we're just people out to do what we enjoy"... makes me question if I really ever understood who Bato was, as I don't know what I would object to here. Or for the Major. The last in-unverse film made me think she had loftier goals than that, but, meh.

There's attention in detail to places; the prostitutes who walk out of the shadows and the Major paying very close attention to them, the initial Americans they fight being college football players saddled with debt who decide to take things out on the people they feel jipped them, the proper name dropping of American-made weapons, etc.

The OP looks similar to the shelling sequence of the Live Action film, but the tone is different. Whereas the LA film gave it an ephemeral reverence as sort of an homage to the original GiTs, this one is... more blatantly consumerist? "Money makes the world go round?" I guess this references why they're in America.

All in all, it feels like details are in place, but the tone became a bit more indulgent and edge-lordy. Sort of like the last run of prequel films.

The political intrigue... it's not Tom Clancy, but not quite MSG levels yet.

What I keep comparing it to mentally is Call of Duty Black Ops II. Still within the realm of a possible, if unlikely, scenario with interesting ideas of future warfare tech thrown in.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:49 pm

GITS 2045 ep. 7

Yeah, plot's a Transhumanist boiler plate of slightly-below average sci-fi fare, but Bato in this Bank robbery is fun as hell. ^_^
... until it got the part where he crashed a crypto market to give the "robbers" money.

Sure he helped them out, but he basically ruined anyone else attached to that currency.

This is also the third anime I've seen that's floated the idea the Yen will soon be worthless and abandoned -- wonder if this will be more accurate than Japan converting to Methane Hydrate?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri May 01, 2020 3:19 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:This is also the third anime I've seen that's floated the idea the Yen will soon be worthless and abandoned -- wonder if this will be more accurate than Japan converting to Methane Hydrate?

That happens in [C]: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control (at the end of which Japan is using the $), but what else?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun May 03, 2020 1:51 am

The graphics are an eyesore, and some of the episode plot summaries make me cringe. SAC and 2nd Gig were way better than this.

Castlevania aside, there's the 3D CG in Yamato 2202 which is spectacular to look at, because it pulls off the impression of being classic 2D while actually being 3D. SAC and 2nd Gig had pretty good examples of that for the early 2000s, but Yamato shows just how far you can go with this kind of thing.

As for budgets, what can I say? Competent folks gotta spend money to make money. Unless you're really, really good, trying to do everything el cheapo is not a smart idea.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat May 16, 2020 2:48 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:That happens in [C]: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control (at the end of which Japan is using the $), but what else?

Could of sworn it also happened in Gasaraki, but I might be wrong.

@Topic English Dub got William Frederick Knight to come back, I'am seriously impressed.

Crispin Freeman sounds a bit off, thought he was someone else for a moment. Still, I think I'll watch it this way, I just love this cast.
Kusunagi seems too slender in this incarnation to me. Hearing her with Mary McGlynn's voice again is adding gravitas.

Return to “Anime and Manga”