Trailer 2 discussion thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

Teaser trailer 2.5

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:42 am

King records just uploaded another teaser trailer for 3.0 + 1.0. It's more of the same with the exception of Unit 08 rebuilt.

https://youtu.be/_ffbBbB9cA8
I watch and speculate.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Teaser trailer 2.5

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:56 am

It looks like Eva-08 is where the final impact takes place, but I wonder why the FOI's and the impact background has a purple/pink color to it, it's normally red.
Gendo's impact is likely very different compared to 4th impact, so maybe that's the reason why it's different or maybe the purple/pink color is there to simply highlight Eva-08.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:31 am

Another trailer so soon?

SPOILER: Show

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Trailer 2 discussion thread

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:00 am

Giji Shinka: Fourth Impact did have other spectral colors at the very center, but their spread wasn't big enough to offset all of the red. These Gates might develop a more even spread of color like those seen at Second Impact. Using Neb's Key in conjunction with Eva-13 would means 3 out of 4 Adams have been reconsolidated, so... Hmm.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:57 pm

I find it interesting that we have yet to see even a glimpse of Eva Unit 01. Makes me wonder if it'll be reserved for the actual film and not shown in any promotional material. My suspicions point me to believe it won't be used until the end of the film when [I assume] the Wunder goes down.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:24 pm

There is no way that Unit-01 doesn't have a crucial role in the ending.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:48 pm

We saw even less of what was going to be in 3.0 from all the early marketing for that film. There's A LOT of surprises to come in the final film.

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:My suspicions point me to believe it won't be used until the end of the film when [I assume] the Wunder goes down.

I suspect the same. You could even throw in some of the good ol' birth imagery Anno loves in there: 01 tearing itself out of Wunder, breaking through those rib-cage-like areas in a callback to the emergence from Lillel - growling or roaring as she does this.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:57 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:It looks like Eva-08 is where the final impact takes place, but I wonder why the FOI's and the impact background has a purple/pink color to it, it's normally red.
Gendo's impact is likely very different compared to 4th impact, so maybe that's the reason why it's different or maybe the purple/pink color is there to simply highlight Eva-08.

I honestly believe that's the Moon. No way there aren't going to address/show a major consequence of Third Impact.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:12 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I honestly believe that's the Moon. No way there aren't going to address/show a major consequence of Third Impact.

I agree, but if you look at the Sn/Cut arrangement from Trailer 2 carefully (my breakdown is the last two posts on the main page), the most likely time for a moon trip is starting around perhaps around Sn150. We get a hint of space travel potential in Sn115, and around Sn134 Mari is decked out in a new plugsuit and looks like she might be disembarking on a mission soon; not to mention, Sn143 is the last one represented in the trailer before it skips WAY AHEAD to Final Impact (Sn 299), which we know is happening on Earth around the same place that Fourth Impact happened. (Wunder passes a crater-pocked backdrop on the way to the Gates that is surely the fallen Black Moon; the Failures of Infinity floating around everywhere were vented out of the Black Moon once it was liberated from the ground at Fourth Impact.) Also, I addressed the purple lighting in my last post. That's "Gates of Guf" stuff. (Second Impact, as mentioned, for reference. The very center is purple.)

Stan wrote:I find it interesting that we have yet to see even a glimpse of Eva Unit 01. Makes me wonder if it'll be reserved for the actual film and not shown in any promotional material. My suspicions point me to believe it won't be used until the end of the film when [I assume] the Wunder goes down.

Trailer 2 doesn't really hide that fact at all. The engine containing Eva-01 is flashed on screen and is still very much intact as late as Scene 299. (See notes on Sn299/C002 here.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

andreh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby andreh » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:15 am

The fact that Wunder is above the Guf really makes me think that Wille will use Eva-01 pseudo-evolved form (I can really imagine Wunder halos, wich appears under the engine thing, turning red like 01 halos in 2.22) and deliberately create a somewhat controled Impact to "kidnap" the Black Moon before Nerv :emogendo:
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Little things I noticed :

Sn002 C010
Shinji is walking with a zombie gait, but Asuka isn't pulling him anymore, so he got enough back to his senses that he can move alone, with some chance he'll get back his mind soon enough to have a long overdue conversation with Asuka (and Rei Q)

Sn109 C002
There seems to be a consensus that Shinji is wearing his old school uniform, it fits with the little bit of blue we see at the bottom of the image, and it stands to reason that it might be the only garment of his size that they have (they are probably from EVA-01's entry plug as someone else noted).
Still, personally I would like if he doesn't keep that attire for the entire movie: one of the themes of Q and Shin seems to be to let go of the past and move forward, and that uniform from a bygone era is a symbol of his enshacklement to the past (it's not a coincidence if he starts wearing it when he arrived at neo-NERV), and not necessarily a plugsuit, but maybe a simple t-shirt with a jacket and a pair of trousers to show that he's moving forward from the past (I could even hope for one of the tracksuits the WILLE people wear as uniform if he ends up formally joining them, but I doubt that will happen, unless the timeskip between the pilots' trek in the desert and the end of EVA-02's reparation is quite big and WILLE takes a giant leap of faith), well at least he's not in this medical robe anymore.

But fashion concerns aside, there are two additional details that I find interesting : first that he's not wearing that medical robe (which means that they are now 100% sure it's indeed Shinji, I guess they can thank him triggering an impact confirming it for them) and second those stretched fabric strips behind him also appeared in a concept art that showed the Eva pilots' room in the Wunder, and since there are two beds behind him, my guess is that he's not in the brig or that creepy patient room/cell we briefly saw just before being debriefed by Misato and Ritsuko), but maybe got his own room (to share with Rei Q?) or maybe is in the pilots room (invited here by Mari?)

Unknown cut
So EVA-08 gets to be fully restored, it must be the only remaining Production series that's still in one piece. It's torso armor is a bit different than the one it was wearing during Q's final battle. I wonder from where does this new armor comes from, some spare pieces from their looting of NERV Paris?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:24 pm

@ElMariachi: The Paris Nerv depot has a number of lockers marked with "Compat. Eva Produc.", and there's more than one indicated to have the contents we see on the right here:

Both 02 and 08 as seen in the trailer seem to have their restraints upgraded to the Paris stuff.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:@ElMariachi: The Paris Nerv depot has a number of lockers marked with "Compat. Eva Produc.", and there's more than one indicated to have the contents we see on the right here:

Both 02 and 08 as seen in the trailer seem to have their restraints upgraded to the Paris stuff.

*blink*
Oh, good catch, I didn't noticed that the armor in the Paris armory was the same EVA-08 is wearing in the trailer.
That's the advantage of Production Models: modular and interchangeable parts, it's a great thing that Rebuild let the Production Models shine more, in NGE there was only spotlight for EVA-01.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

wiser3754
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby wiser3754 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:35 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:*blink*
Oh, good catch, I didn't noticed that the armor in the Paris armory was the same EVA-08 is wearing in the trailer.
That's the advantage of Production Models: modular and interchangeable parts, it's a great thing that Rebuild let the Production Models shine more, in NGE there was only spotlight for EVA-01.

Also don't forget that now Unit 08 now has superposition compatibilty, meaning it can occupy two states at once. It could be standing still in one stare but jumping to another in another state. At least I think that's how it works. How it's going to knock down Unit 13 however, who knows?
I watch and speculate.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:35 am

View Original Postwiser3754 wrote:Unit 08 now has superposition compatibilty
They say "overlap"; and that term is used in Anno's favourite source of inspiration, Ultraman, to mean "can do the fusion dance". This will be the way we get that 08+02 hybrid from the next time preview.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:57 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:They say "overlap"; and that term is used in Anno's favourite source of inspiration, Ultraman, to mean "can do the fusion dance". This will be the way we get that 08+02 hybrid from the next time preview.

Or maybe Anno is misleading us and "overlap" will mean something that has nothing to do with fusion, taking us completely by surprise as he always do. :emogendo:

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:07 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Or maybe Anno is misleading us and "overlap" will mean something that has nothing to do with fusion, taking us completely by surprise as he always do. :emogendo:

But I want to see some sort of Unit 08+Unit 02 abomination. Been anticipating that since 2012.

:marihearts: :asukahearts:

I hope we get to see finally see Misato WITHOUT the Captain's Hat and googles at least in once scene in the movie because we all know a lot of it is really a facade to cover up her own feelings/persona. The cut where we see her with Ritz-chan leads me to believe she'll be in, for lack of a better word, "battle mode" for almost (most?) the entire duration of the film.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:13 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:But I want to see some sort of Unit 08+Unit 02 abomination. Been anticipating that since 2012.

Hah yeah, so still a fusion, but not in the pretty Mecha way but more like the Akira way

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:04 am

An odd thought occurred to me, what if "overlap" isn't about fusion but rather take over. as in the Mark9 taking over the Wunder. What if Unit 8 will be used to "take over" another eva, even if only temporarily?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”