[NEWS] Neon Genesis Evangelion coming to Netflix Spring 2019

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
neongenesisvandelay
Embryo

Re: [NEWS] Neon Genesis Evangelion coming to Netflix Spring 2019

Postby neongenesisvandelay » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:30 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-selection_bias

Her fans are the most likely people to follow her and say stuff. This might be hard to believe, but some people who don't like certain things (like, say, any iteration of dubbed Evangelion) don't look for every possible opportunity on the Internet to scream about it. We have better things to do, like spending time with what we actually enjoy.

I’m aware of that. It’s also not immediately known to everyone that the show is getting redubbed, and I’m basing my theory on those who follow her and the frequency I see the topic. Really just guessing how people might react.
"You like Huey Lewis and the News?"

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:46 am

Honestly, they're being embarrassing. Whether required because of rights issues or simply Netflix policy, a new dub is a new dub and that's all there is to it. I predict that some of it will be distinctly better, and some a little disappointing; and now I won't think about it again until it's released.

Maybe, as with Akira, there will in time be a release with a choice of both dubs. Maybe not.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:06 am

Can we talk about the shitty trailers they keep making? They are so generic and "un Anno like".

Luigi shinji
Adam

Postby Luigi shinji » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:04 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Can we talk about the shitty trailers they keep making? They are so generic and "un Anno like".

Yes its pretty suck, I feel lucky for I didn't stay above 3 am for this

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:41 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Can we talk about the shitty trailers they keep making? They are so generic and "un Anno like".

Yeah like the recent teaser they used none of the classical music that makes its so special. I think there viewing this like its Gundam wing when its not its about way more than just mecha battles.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Ambiant23 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:24 am

I actually think its a good idea to market the show as if its something its not. In a way that leaves a lot of newcomers confused as hell when shit hits the fan. Although I would like a good trailer for EoE

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 am

Think it was a loss for Netflix to not just release the series last night. They probably had a million potential viewers worldwide turned in to the YouTube video who would have all flocked straight to their Netflix accounts.

Oh well, they play by their own rules.

As for the dub actors, I understand their having an ownership on the roles and they should be rightfully angry that Netflix didn’t even give them a courtesy notice they were recasting but they should handle airing this grievance in an interview or signed group statement & not in tweets.

And as for the trailer itself? I saw someone on Twitter refer to it as a trailer made for people who after watching all of Evangelion still call a Shinji a pussy and I can’t get that out of my head cause it’s so true.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:08 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:As for the dub actors, I understand their having an ownership on the roles and they should be rightfully angry that Netflix didn’t even give them a courtesy notice they were recasting but they should handle airing this grievance in an interview or signed group statement & not in tweets.

And as for the trailer itself? I saw someone on Twitter refer to it as a trailer made for people who after watching all of Evangelion still call a Shinji a pussy and I can’t get that out of my head cause it’s so true.

According to AWL's Twitter, apparently Netflix did let them audition after someone revealed that they were going to be redubbing the show. None of them ended up being cast, which AWL asserts that their audition was only a courtesy and Netflix was never intending on casting them anyway. Whether this is true, or whether they simply found better performances from other individuals is something that only the internal people at Netflix and whatever dubbing company they're using know for certain.

And yeah, the trailers have been pretty generic and seem bad from a fan's perspective, mostly because it markets the show as an action-mecha series when...that's exactly the kind of show that Evangelion is disguised as in the first place, so maybe theres some logic behind it after all.

But yeah, as a fan the fact that the psychological and character elements have been left out, along with this new trailer continuing to have no actual audio from the series itself, makes it feel lacking.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:28 pm

I was hoping they'd keep Spike. Under proper direction, he's the perfect Shinji. And Tiffany was great even before the movies, so.. yeah, I'm disappointed.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:And yeah, the trailers have been pretty generic and seem bad from a fan's perspective, mostly because it markets the show as an action-mecha series when...that's exactly the kind of show that Evangelion is disguised as in the first place, so maybe theres some logic behind it after all.

I'd say more than half of the series actually is like that. Marketing the show as anything else would almost be a spoiler.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:17 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Think it was a loss for Netflix to not just release the series last night.

They're presumably preparing dubs, and maybe new subs, in a good many languages. Perhaps they simply couldn't have everything ready and QCed in that time-scale, and likely they didn't even expect to be able to.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:00 pm

View Original PostAmbiant23 wrote:I actually think its a good idea to market the show as if its something its not. In a way that leaves a lot of newcomers confused as hell when shit hits the fan. Although I would like a good trailer for EoE

Ooooh, they're going to LOVE the WTFfest that is EoE... Hell... The first, yogurt-filled minutes will trigger so many nowadays...

I mean, just look at how the reviewers of Devilman Crybaby took the story and its many themes (spoiler: it went over the heads of most).
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:56 am

Good, good. I'm eager to hear the new cast in action. I know how strongly Grant feels about Asuka but unless Funimation royally screws the pooch, she'll have a big movie coming her way next year or year after and maybe more depending on what Shin Evangelion is. She and the others will be fine sitting out this one dub.

And what happened to AWL's assurance that the dub was in good hands?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:55 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:
And what happened to AWL's assurance that the dub was in good hands?

Probably just upset at the lack of extra blood splatter sounds after guunshots. That said, hopefully the new dub does a better job for the series than the marketing has so far, yeesh.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:36 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Good, good. I'm eager to hear the new cast in action. I know how strongly Grant feels about Asuka but unless Funimation royally screws the pooch, she'll have a big movie coming her way next year or year after and maybe more depending on what Shin Evangelion is. She and the others will be fine sitting out this one dub.

I think this was about them feeling attached to their identities as the English voices in the original series, and not wanting to have their identities stripped and given to someone else. Not about money.

BlueBasilisk wrote:And what happened to AWL's assurance that the dub was in good hands?

My inference was that she spoke to a director or producer and was assured that they cared about Eva and wanted to do a good job.

Once upon a time, I did a just-for-fun thread about hypothetical voice actors for a hypothetical redub, and we suggested Hollywood stars, and people who do voice acting for American cartoons. If Netflix does casting like that, I'd actually be okay with them replacing Spike and Tiffany. It's not unprecedented; GKids uses a bunch of big name VAs. I have no reason to believe Netflix will do that, though, as they've never done it before. It's more likely that they'll just use different VAs who are known for anime dubs, which will raise the question of why the heck they didn't just use Spike and Tiffany again.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:06 pm

Here's a question I just thought up: Is there a chance this whole matter is due to union rules, whether actors are part of an actor's union or not? I don't know if Netflix uses union or nonunion actors for voiceacting, but it could be a factor.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby KRandMJ » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:45 am

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/22/evangelion-netflix/

'Neon Genesis Evangelion' comes to Netflix June 21st

is this true?
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:41 am

Yes; as discussed in this thread since the first announcement last November.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:57 am

It's nice to finally have a date for it. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Netflix handle it.

---

As far as the advertising goes, I think marketing something like Evangelion is a difficult thing really. Obviously it has a reputation for a reason but then how much detail do you really go into about that? Do you give people the impression it is one thing and then surprise them when it isn't? I know for me personally I had no idea about the twists and turns in Eva when I first watched it.

It's worth remembering this isn't being marketed at us, we've already seen it. We know what it's about, this is to draw new people in.

---

As far as the new dub goes. I'll echo what I said elsewhere about this. I find the attitudes of the original cast disappointing but not surprising. I think that, yes, they have a right to be upset about being replaced. They all have unique attachments to these characters but I think the way they have expressed this isn't fair on the new cast and does nothing but create a negative atmosphere already. It also serves to make the new cast feel quite bad about themselves when they see this negativity.

I am sure that whoever the new cast is, whoever the new director is they will all be giving their all to produce something that they are proud of and does the work justice.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:25 pm

Netflix: *announces Eva license*

Old Eva Cast: How come we weren’t hired?

Fans: New English dub confirmed!

Netflix: I didn’t say- ah......

Netflix: *announces Eva release date*

Old Eva Cast: Still not hired...

Fans: Definitely means that there’s a new English dub!

Netflix: ................

I almost want Netflix to just release the original English dub just to spite the conspiracy theorists. I still haven’t seen anyone actually report on this, so.....

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:33 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Fans: New English dub confirmed!

It's a bit more than just fans, surely, if this is right:

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:According to AWL's Twitter, apparently Netflix did let them audition after someone revealed that they were going to be redubbing the show. None of them ended up being cast, which AWL asserts that their audition was only a courtesy and Netflix was never intending on casting them anyway.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”