Rewatching the Rebuilds, and my thoughts

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Rewatching the Rebuilds, and my thoughts

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:56 pm

If you didn't know, I used to do YouTube videos once upon a time, and I've been thinking about getting back into that by making a video analysing the Rebuilds. Specifically, I want to analyse the criticism these films tend to get, and how most of it is based on some form of comparison to the original series (as in, trying to analyse Rebuild characters with information that's only relevant to their OG incarnation, claiming certain characters "stole" roles or actions accomplished by other characters, etc.).

However, I want to make sure I'm doing this right, so I'm going to try and rewatch the three Rebuilds over the next few days. There are a few reasons for this:

1. I've never watched 3.0, and only recently got a copy of it, so I'll have to watch it anyway.
2. I haven't watched 1.0 & 2.0 in quite some time; I've only ever watched them once or twice in the last four years since first seeing them.
3. I've only ever watched them in the English dub, and I really oughta watch them in Japanese to get the proper experience and have more grounded opinions on them (also, I don't like the dub for the films, so that helps).

While I'm at it, I figured it might be interesting to give my thoughts on the films, and observations I make upon watching/rewatching them. If you want to join in, or have any questions, please do so by all means! I'm genuinely curious and excited to see how things go! I'll probably start with 1.0 tomorrow, since I'll have the weekend to tackle these films, but feel free to comment or ask anything in the meantime!
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Rewatching the Rebuilds, and my thoughts

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:16 pm

Never watched Q? Oh boy, get ready for some confusion. Just hang with it, you ARE watching the right film.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

TheChosenJuan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheChosenJuan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:41 am

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:Never watched Q? Oh boy, get ready for some confusion. Just hang with it, you ARE watching the right film.

You call that confusion? You know the sequel won't make more sense if you have a title referencing it's own prequel and the first installment (03+01)...
This is my first geekforum since Coraline, so it better be good here!

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:26 am

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:If you didn't know, I used to do YouTube videos once upon a time, and I've been thinking about getting back into that by making a video analysing the Rebuilds. Specifically, I want to analyse the criticism these films tend to get, and how most of it is based on some form of comparison to the original series (as in, trying to analyse Rebuild characters with information that's only relevant to their OG incarnation, claiming certain characters "stole" roles or actions accomplished by other characters, etc.).

However, I want to make sure I'm doing this right, so I'm going to try and rewatch the three Rebuilds over the next few days. There are a few reasons for this:

1. I've never watched 3.0, and only recently got a copy of it, so I'll have to watch it anyway.
2. I haven't watched 1.0 & 2.0 in quite some time; I've only ever watched them once or twice in the last four years since first seeing them.
3. I've only ever watched them in the English dub, and I really oughta watch them in Japanese to get the proper experience and have more grounded opinions on them (also, I don't like the dub for the films, so that helps).

While I'm at it, I figured it might be interesting to give my thoughts on the films, and observations I make upon watching/rewatching them. If you want to join in, or have any questions, please do so by all means! I'm genuinely curious and excited to see how things go! I'll probably start with 1.0 tomorrow, since I'll have the weekend to tackle these films, but feel free to comment or ask anything in the meantime!

If you are going to do this, I have a few suggestions:

-Watch 3.0 at least three times. Two viewings is not going to be enough to take in all the ridiculous shit in that film.
-Watch them all in their Japanese dub. Performances that are not personally directed by Anno and Co. are on a lower canon tier.
-After watching the Rebuilds, watch NGE again and take notes.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:58 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:-Watch 3.0 at least three times. Two viewings is not going to be enough to take in all the ridiculous shit in that film.

Agreed. I also suggest re-watching the previous films after one or two viewings of Q; differences from NGE which went unnoticed before will then be seen to have significance in the way the new story is going.

-Watch them all in their Japanese dub. Performances that are not personally directed by Anno and Co. are on a lower canon tier.

Note that some arguments of interpretation revolve around Misato's tone of voice at crucial moments. That said, there is reason to suppose that Khara had at least some oversight of the English dub in its final form.

-After watching the Rebuilds, watch NGE again and take notes.

But be careful not to shoehorn NGE concepts and story-lines into the films where they don't fit - you should be looking for differences more than similarities.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:38 am

I wish I could erase 3.0 from my mind so that I could watch it again for the first time. Enjoy the view, the opening sequence is magnificent.

I would also suggest you to watch Until you come to me after 3.0: it's not canon and it probably won't ever be, but it's really nice.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:58 pm

I just want to echo everyone's advice so far in this thread. To gain a better understanding of 3.0 especially, rewatching 1.0 and 2.0 is definitely helpful. (I'd say a rewatch of NGE is good for various narrative echoes and changes, but I think it'd be better to rewatch NGE then 1.0 through 3.0.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:10 pm

I found some time this morning to sit down and watch 1.0, but before I get onto my thoughts, I want to thank everyone who's given me advice so far. I really do appreciate it! I'll reply to a couple of points that caught my interest:

pwhodges wrote:But be careful not to shoehorn NGE concepts and story-lines into the films where they don't fit - you should be looking for differences more than similarities.

Oh, absolutely. That's the whole point behind the video I want to make, after all. Granted, it is a little bit difficult to separate NGE from Rebuild when the first film retells the first few episodes in such a way that it's hard NOT keep considering character actions or beats with NGE in mind (which might be the reason people often do that), but I'm enjoying the chance to consider those same scenes under a new framing.

Joseki wrote:I would also suggest you to watch Until you come to me after 3.0: it's not canon and it probably won't ever be, but it's really nice.

Unfortunately, I'd watched until You come to me quite some time ago, but it will be interesting to come back to it with a better understanding of things. (However, I will happily attest to the film's quality. Those backgrounds are gorgeous, and Shiro Sagisu/Masamichi Amano's rendition of Londonderry Air (aka Danny Boy) is heartbreakingly beautiful.)

---

And with that out of the way, here's a collection of various thoughts I had upon rewatching 1.0:

-I previously had a strong dislike for the film, because of how episodic its pacing felt to me. The first six episodes of NGE, which are retold here, use their episodic structure to play up different ideas or aspects (skipping the Angel battle to then use it as the climax in Episode 2, the quiet and introspective Episode 4, etc), which I felt were lost in the transition to film.

However, upon rewatching it, there's actually a good deal of work done to make the scenes flow together as naturally as possible while including new material to re-contextualize. It's not perfect; I still feel the first half is too episodic; but I can see that even early on, there was a desire to make this film more than just a condensed, She-Ra: The Secret of the Sword-style squashing together of TV episodes to make a 90-odd minute film.

-That said, the editing is really frantic at the beginning of the movie. For the first 20-30 minutes, everything goes just a bit too quickly (shots don't last as long as they should to let something sink in; the pacing in conversations is a little too fast so early on), and it makes the film come off as more exhausting and rushed than it really is. Granted, considering what's going on, the frantic editing could very well be intentional, but it's still too much.

After that though, the editing starts to get progressively better. Reaction shots last just long enough to have their impact, everything flows naturally from one scene to the next in the same way that the original series used to expertly do so, the pacing feels less rushed; by the end, the editing's as strong as the best of Evangelion, and it works really well.

-On a slightly different tangent, the way that the music is integrated into the film is pretty mixed. On the one hand, the film is often edited in such a way that it punctuates the music (something happens in time to the music or fits within its rhythm, the music is used to lead into or out of something) and it helps to make it work as a part of the film-making. However, the sound mixing for the music is weird. You know those Let's Play videos that automatically turn down the in-game audio when someone's talking, and then turns it back up when nobody's talking? The music in 1.0 is mixed quite similarly to that, and it's very sensitive to voices/sound effects, so it frequently sounds like it's going up and down in volume without much rhyme or reason. It's a shame, since the music is actually really good.

-I could very well be alone in this, but I don't like the colour design in this movie. The colours feel too bright and sterile, and it makes otherwise well-animated/storyboarded scenes look worse than they actually do.

-I like how quiet things get after the 2nd Angel fight; there's a lot of environment shots with only the rain or general city noise to serve as ambience, there's a good deal of silence to punctuate conversations/actions, the only music that plays is a melancholy orchestral rendition of Hedgehog's Dilemma. After how much stuff has been happening up until then, it's a great decision that allows the film and the viewers to breathe for a while.

-I presume this was in the original series as well, but I only realized upon rewatching this film that in the scene where Rei is getting dressed (after the infamous 'collision'), the shots of her getting dressed are being framed from Shinji's perspective, and Shinji's slight reactions in between those shots all but confirm that.

-I love how Level EEE/Central Dogma's innards look quite literally like the innards of some massive beast; adds a really unsettling feeling to the place, and helps to cement the sense of finality that lingers within.

-And of course, Ramiel gets a hell of an upgrade in this film. I'm not a fan of CGI, largely due to my inability to appreciate how impressive it often is on a tangible level, but the shapes and animations used as it fires up its screeching beams are gorgeous. It's kind of amazing how well it's held up over the last 11 years.

-This is admittedly a nitpick, but this shot really bothered me. It's in the scene where Shinji and Rei are getting dressed before they head off to fight Ramiel. It seems to be a call back to the earlier dressing scene, since we see Shinji making another deliberate effort to not watch Rei get dressed, which is easier to do since there's a big wall separating the two; the most you can see from his perspective is her shadowy image, and her feet. The scene's meant to be seeing things from his perspective, but then there's this out-of-nowhere shot where we cut to Rei's side of the room and pan up her naked backside as she's putting on her plugsuit. She's shot from behind, so we don't see anything explicit, but it feels like such a stupidly titalling shot to include for no particular reason beyond fanservice. You know how people get really put off by that Asuka panty shot in 2.0, or Mari's bizarrely bouncing breasts in 3.0? Well, this is my equivalent of that, and for similar reasons.

---

In the end, I've grown to like 1.0 a lot more than I used to. It's got its problems, and I ultimately prefer the NGE version of these events, but it's saved by the fact that the staff behind it become more and more confident with what they're trying to do over the course of the movie, and it shows in spades. I'm genuinely excited to see how 2.0 fares with this new sense of confidence, both from the staff and my own enthusiasm for these films!

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:44 pm

I watched 2.0 on Sunday, but hadn't the time to write anything until now. Like with the previous post, I'm going to go through various thoughts I had while watching the film:

-The editing is totally on point; scenes seamlessly transition to one from another, every short is neither too long nor too quick, and music is used to punctuate events in much the same as the first movie (and without the amateurish sound mixing, to boot)! I'll discuss the transitions in more detail later on, but they really have gotten just as good as the original series.

-The film does a great job at establishing Asuka's skill, her stand-offish disposition towards other, and her superiority to them - and all without the need for pointless exposition!

-There's some genuinely great shots that help to convey particular moods (the far-off shot of Rei and Gendo eating dinner is appropriately distant, I like the closeness used in the various shots when Shinji and Asuka share the same bed).

-I'm half-convinced that Asuka's Unit-03 plugsuit is the same type as what Mari wore at the beginning of the movie. If that is the case, that implies an interesting contrast between the two (Asuka finds the plugsuit a bit too revealing, whereas Mari can't stand how constricting it is on her breasts).

-On the note of transitions: what Evangelion does really well is that even though it frequently jumps from scene to scene, to different pairs of characters or periods of time, it still manages to make it easily understandable to the audience on a subconscious level by either hinting at what's to come in the next scene or uses something from the current scene to segue into the next. For example, we establish Shinji's ability to cook meals, and later on we get a scene of his friends enjoying his meals, which then transitions into Misato eating his meal at work and then having a conversation with Kaji. It's baffling how seamlessly it all flows together, and I really want to do write an article/make a video on the subject.

-A very minor thing, but I adore this new version of Unit-02's theme from the original series (the guitar melody is also waaaay better, too!)

-Even after all this time, I'm still not sure what to think about the added gore to the Bardiel/Unit-03 fight. On the one hand, it really does demonstrate the sheer brutality of the dummy plug. But at the same time, it doesn't have as much impact considering how much blood there is from the Angels (although this could be intended as a dark subversion on that trope), and I'm personally a fan of the original series' approach to using a little to convey a lot. Like I said, I dunno.

-An interesting thought, for those who wish to discuss and analyse Rebuild as if it features the exact same characters with the same personalities and backstories as NGE: there's one small, but very important difference between the two series - Kaji and his watermelon patch.

There's an excellent Tumblr post analysing Kaji's character in various ways, and one of the things it discusses is his watermelon patch and his relationship with it. In the original series, it's a small patch which, apart from Kaji, Shinji and eventually Misato, nobody else knows about (Kaji explicitly tells Shinji this). Nurturing watermelons is seen as a sign of feminity, and one that Kaji seems to want to keep on the down-low.

However, in Rebuild, it's a big damn field that can easily be sign, with a sign that clearly has the initials 'R.K.' on it. In other words, the Kaji in Rebuild is pretty chill with people knowing about his watermelon patch, which is just about the opposite to his original self. (He even wears a pink towel; pink often being perceived as the most traditionally feminine colour; around his neck without a care in the world)

This sounds silly, but think of it this way: if one minor aspect of Rebuild!Kaji is completely different from NGE!Kaji, what's to say that isn't the case for just about everything that isn't explicitly the same? Learn to take things on their own merits, basically.

---

In general, I like 2.0. I would say it's a much better film than the first, simply because it hit the ground running in terms of quality and didn't suffer from many of its problems. Some are still around (the odd fanservice shot, the sterile colour pallete), but it's still a damn good movie. And now all that's left to do is to watch 3.0...finally. I honestly cannot wait.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:19 pm

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:
-There's some genuinely great shots that help to convey particular moods (the far-off shot of Rei and Gendo eating dinner is appropriately distant, I like the closeness used in the various shots when Shinji and Asuka share the same bed).

This sounds silly, but think of it this way: if one minor aspect of Rebuild!Kaji is completely different from NGE!Kaji, what's to say that isn't the case for just about everything that isn't explicitly the same? Learn to take things on their own merits, basically.

Quoted these two cause i think you bring up something that i find to be really cool about the NTE. First is how shots are used to convey a certain message, as you point out there's is distance between the meals that Gendo invites Rei to, meaning there's not just physical distance but also emotional distance as well. This pops out when you compare the Gendo dinners to the one Rei was planning, as there is a brief shot of the setup Rei had made for the dinner she was preparing, one small table with 3 bowls all in close proximity, which conveys Rei's desire brilliantly to bring them all closer not just physically but emotionally as well.

This segways quite well into the second quote, that these characters are actually quite different from their NGE counterparts. Rei for instance, her desire to get closer to Shinji in NGE was selfish in a way with some weirdly erotic overtones to that desire (Ep 23 is the prime example of this). Compared that to her NTE version, her desire seems more altruistic as she's not just trying to get closer to Shinji but also bring Shinji and his dad closer, perhaps as she said in the elevator scene, where they could feel "warm" together.

Anyway i'm interested so see what you make of 3.0 as it's quite a departure from the previous films.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:39 am

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:-The editing is totally on point; scenes seamlessly transition to one from another, every short is neither too long nor too quick, and music is used to punctuate events in much the same as the first movie (and without the amateurish sound mixing, to boot)! I'll discuss the transitions in more detail later on, but they really have gotten just as good as the original series.

I completely agree. For all it's pacing issues, lack of much character development other than Shinji learning to fight for what he believes in, this film is absolutely spectacular, and is my overall favorite of the New Theatrical films. One of my favorite scenes is Tokyo-3 Wakes Up, It's so very beautifully made, and gives me chills every time, to the point where I've had the track that plays over this short sequence, Yamashita, as my alarm for months, and instead of getting sick of it and jolting, followed by my heart racing, every time I hear it (which is the case with every other song I've set as my alarm), it still has just as much Impact on me.

That said, have fun watching Q, and prepare to watch it like 4 times to even begin to understand half of what's happening. You poor bastard...
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:02 pm

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on Jo and Ha, that's a very interesting point about Kaji that I didn't consider before!

Looking forward to your takeaway from Q :devil:

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I just want to echo everyone's advice so far in this thread. To gain a better understanding of 3.0 especially, rewatching 1.0 and 2.0 is definitely helpful. (I'd say a rewatch of NGE is good for various narrative echoes and changes, but I think it'd be better to rewatch NGE then 1.0 through 3.0.)

I know someone who watched NGE four times, like so:

NGE + EoE
NGE + EoE + 1.11
NGE + EoE + 1.11 + 2.22
NGE + EoE + 1.11 + 2.22 + 3.33
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Whoa, that's an interesting way to do it, too :gasp: (Especially spacing it out with the Rebuild releases every few years.)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:45 am

View Original Postimprimatur13 wrote:I know someone who watched NGE four times, like so:

NGE + EoE
NGE + EoE + 1.11
NGE + EoE + 1.11 + 2.22
NGE + EoE + 1.11 + 2.22 + 3.33

Out of curiosity, in how many sittings? Or did they just binge it every time?
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:43 am

Hmm... I think they binged it, but not sure.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Yikes, it's nearly been two weeks since I last posted anything. Sorry about that, I've just been pretty busy and only now managed to find some time and post my thoughts on 3.0. Before I get onto my thoughts, I need to address something:

AdamMalkobitch wrote:That said, have fun watching Q, and prepare to watch it like 4 times to even begin to understand half of what's happening. You poor bastard...

Settie wrote:Anyway i'm interested so see what you make of 3.0 as it's quite a departure from the previous films.

Despite never watching 3.0 until in the last week or so, it was a film I'd heard a lot about (as someone who got into Eva only months before it came out, how could I not have heard anything about it?) and one that, as the wait for the film's western release went on for three and a bit years, I read up on a lot in forums/debates/reviews and elsewhere.

I point this out because the hardest thing about watching 3.0 is trying to figure out which thoughts are my own, and which are those derived from opinion pieces, forum posts, blogs and whatnot that I came to understand and agree with. It's actually really frustrating, as someone who was looking forward to 3.0 and wondering how it would turn out, that I can't figure out what the hell I really think of it. I managed to do that for the first two films (mainly because I'd watched them early enough in my fandom that I was able to have opinions on them that could be changed or developed over time), but not with 3.0.

I don't know if 3.0 is a good or a bad film, or even if I like it or not, but here are the various thoughts I had watching it the first time (with the home release subs provided by khara):

-There is way, way too much technobabble in the film's first twenty minutes. Maybe it's a deliberate decision to overwhelm the audience with needless information when they're trying to figure out what the hell is going on, but I feel it goes a bit too far in this first chunk of the film. It's especially bad when there's not much attempt to delineate which subtitles are important character dialogue and which isn't (yes, the important stuff is all at the bottom, but a change in colour ala the old Platinum DVDs would have made some kind of difference).

-I don't know if this is a problem with the DVD or the film itself, but the sound mixing is dreadful. Voices and sound effects come through clearly, but I can barely hear the music. This is not only a shame considering how good the music in 3.0 is (personally, I'd say it's best out of the Rebuilds so far), but it also means that the music can't punctuate events anywhere near as well as the first two films because you can't hear it most of the time!

-Some scenes do a fantastic job of getting the viewer into Shinji's head and seeing things from his perspective, such as the scene when several character statements flash through his mind in a particular thought process ("From now on, you do nothing" -> "Just don't pilot the Eva!" -> "You will pilot the Eva." -> "I don't know."), or when he stumbles through a hallway and the camera/visuals become pretty dang deranged.

-I love the new character designs; not the costumes, but the subtle changes to the way characters look. It lends itself really well to realistic, subtle movements that never would have been seen in the earlier films (this cut is a particular favourite of mine). In general, the animation here is the best in the Rebuilds, and it even manages to change the colour palette to something warmer and one that works well with what the film is trying to do.

-I realized that Shinji believes in Kaworu because he not only fixed the S-DAT, but also taught him to play the piano when he had no previously demonstrated musical ability. No wonder Shinji becomes obsessed with the idea of fixing the world, because it must work if the guy who can do anything suggested it! Goddamn, that's a clever bit of implication!

-Despite how little screen time she got in comparison to the last film, I was paying to a lot of attention to Asuka's actions and mannerisms. For example, she refers to Misatio as 'Captain Katsuragi' instead of her proper title of Colonel. This seems strange, but then you remember that Asuka had the rank of Captain in 2.0, and likely doesn't want to see herself on a lower rank to Misato.

-On the subject of being lower down, Asuka makes it a point to stand over Shinji whenever they personally meet (on the desk aboard the Wunder, and when she opens up his Entry Plug at the end). It's a great way to communicate that Asuka has gone back to the way she was at the beginning of 2.0, and how the events near the end of that movie affected her really badly.

-One more Asuka thought, which I admit I might be reaching with: Asuka's relationship with Shinji does develop over the course of the film, but very quietly. First time they met: she punches the protective glass out of frustration, and decides that will be enough. Second time they met: she fights him in the Eva with the intent of killing him. Third time: she meets him face to face, without any barriers, for the first time in 14 years, and the worst thing she does is push him over when he won't get up. Otherwise, she doesn't act particularly aggressively, which is pretty interesting considering their previous two encounters.

I don't know why this stood out to me, or if there even is a reason for it, but I found it pretty fascinating.

---

I suspect I'm gonna have to rewatch this film soon enough (probably with the theatrical subs to see what differences exist). It's not because I had trouble understanding what was going on, but I need to figure out what I think of this film, and I need to be able to see this film through my own eyes.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:01 pm

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:-Despite how little screen time she got in comparison to the last film, I was paying to a lot of attention to Asuka's actions and mannerisms. For example, she refers to Misatio as 'Captain Katsuragi' instead of her proper title of Colonel. This seems strange, but then you remember that Asuka had the rank of Captain in 2.0, and likely doesn't want to see herself on a lower rank to Misato.

If I'm screwing up my Moon runes, somebody please freely correct me -o-;

Assuming it was Japanese, in this case Misato's title is for naval captain (大佐 , taisa) Shikinami's in 2.0 was 大尉 (taii). At Nerv in 1.0 to 2.0, Misato went from 二佐 (nisa, Lt Col) to 一佐 (iisa, Col) somewhere off-screen.

3.0 is a film that takes a rewatch or two to get a grasp on your feelings about it, definitely. I really enjoyed the subtle approach to Asuka in the film, too, so I'll be curious to see what happens there in Shin Eva.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:26 pm

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:
-Despite how little screen time she got in comparison to the last film, I was paying to a lot of attention to Asuka's actions and mannerisms. For example, she refers to Misatio as 'Captain Katsuragi' instead of her proper title of Colonel. This seems strange, but then you remember that Asuka had the rank of Captain in 2.0, and likely doesn't want to see herself on a lower rank to Misato.

Isn't it standard tradition that the commanding officer of a ship is referred to as "Captain" no matter what their actual rank is? Misato is the Captain of the Wunder, so it makes sense that Asuka refers to her by that title.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:28 pm

^ This.

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:-I don't know if this is a problem with the DVD or the film itself, but the sound mixing is dreadful. Voices and sound effects come through clearly, but I can barely hear the music.

This has been commented quite a lot, but there are big disagreements. I have no problem with it, so I haven't investigated personally, but as I recall I got the impression that it's an issue of how the surround soundtrack gets mixed down to stereo in most listeners' systems.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”