Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Official "What should I watch next?" thread

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:56 am

On a (presumably) lighter note; Anyone seen Noragami? I like the artstyle, and the whole kami-thing, but is it just another generic shounen battle? Or, does it have the depth that we Evageeks crave?
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:20 am

It's not deep in the manner of Eva, but it's entertaining and well paced (though the latest arc in the manga got stretched a bit too far IMO in the desire for spectacle). It's earned a place on my shelves in both forms - indeed, the character Yukine is my current avatar on another forum... There are persistent rumours of a third series (there's enough manga for two more now, though the manga's currently on hiatus for health reasons), but no supporting evidence at all.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:40 pm

I must be the only anime fan on the planet who hasn't seen "Your Name" yet. Is it worth the hype? I mean, the way people talk about it I'm worried it'll be like when I went to see Avatar or when my Sister went to see Titanic. There was all this Build-up, and then when it actually did come out I felt incredibly underwhelmed. Not because the movie itself was bad, but because it had been talked up so much when I did see it my expectations were waaaaay too high. I'm worried that's gonna be the case with this movie.

Anyone here who can tell me if it's worth the hype?

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:53 pm

I haven't seen it either :), but I hear it is good. Apparently not as good as Makoto Shinkai's other films, though, (like 5 Centimeters). Which I also haven't seen. There IS a NY Times article where he explicitly cites Hideaki Anno as one of his 2 main influences for Your Name (other one is Haruki Murakami).
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Pretty good (and very pretty), but doesn't reach greatness IMO. Lots of WAFF. Just go and enjoy it for what it is without worrying about people's opinions - it's certainly worth that much.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:25 pm

So, pwhodges (see?)... Any recommendations for something similar, now that I've finished Noragami? (If you were going to say FMA, I've already seen it :).)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:27 pm

View Original Postimprimatur13 wrote:So, pwhodges (see?)...
:wink:

You say you've watched FMA, but have you watched both versions of FMA? There is no general agreement which is the better of the original 2003 version (produced while the manga was ongoing, so the second half of the story is completely different) and FMA Brotherhood (which follows the manga exactly). I actually think both are very good, but prefer the 2003 version because it's better paced (the pacing of the later parts of the manga are flawed, which carries over into Brotherhood IMO).

OK, moving on. Rurouni Kenshin is my next suggestion; a really excellent manga (which I'm in the middle of re-reading right now, as it happens), and a lot of good anime adaptation as well. Alongside the action, there is a lot of humour, and a story which while not itself historical is steeped in the circumstances of the early days of the Meiji era (the manga has very extensive historical notes). However, there is quite some complication in the anime as compared to the manga.

The anime is some 95 episodes, and there are two short OVA series. Only eps 1-62 correspond to the main part of the manga, and it is often recommended to ignore the later mainly anime-original episodes as rubbish (I don't even have them on my shelf); also quite a lot of the first 30-odd episodes are non-manga filler, but they are not too badly regarded. For my part, I have watched 1-11, 12, 14, 19-21, 23-24 (which follow the manga) and 28-62 (which cover the main story, known as "the Kyoto arc"). There are two English dubs, of which the latter is by far the better, though the earlier one has some adherents. The earlier US release was also renamed Samurai X, and my copy of the OVAs is under that name.

The four-part OVA known as Trust and Betrayal (Tsuiokuhen, there are varying translations) is a prequel to the main series, but should be watched afterwards (as it appears in the manga also), and is often thought to be the best part of the whole anime - there's also a single film edit of this, but it's not often found. The other two-part OVA (Reflection - Seisouhen, again various translations) is an ending to the story, but the final ending is non-canon; the style is extremely different, but I like it, though many don't.

Ignore the separate film (Requiem for the Restoration Patriots) and the more recent short OVA version of the Kyoto arc - they are both a waste of time. However, there is a trilogy of live-action films which are very good.

Another series I suggest is X. Not great, perhaps, but still a good watch. Just 2 cours, so more manageable. It can be hard to find, largely because a single-letter name is hardly the ideal search term! Try searching for "X (TV)" or "X/1999". There is also a film, which came before the anime. In this case the manga (by Clamp) is on hiatus (since 2003!). The anime was made before it reached that point, and the film several years earlier than that - so the endings do not match, and neither is entirely convincing. The film is almost incomprehensible throughout, as it has very little explanation of what's going on at all, though the animation is possibly better than the series (both are good).

Finally, I'll mention but only summarise two other series I enjoy. EscaFlowne takes a schoolgirl to an off-Earth fantasy setting, with dragons and sword fights; there's just been a new dub made to match a remastering that added extra scenes; there's also a film with a markedly different story. And Eureka 7, which has a kind of surfing vibe to it (but on no account try the sequel, Eureka 7: AO - it completely undermines the original series and is incoherent in its own right!).

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi folks! I'm currently rewatching Death Parade, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any similar anime? With that sort of constant psychological force, that is also presented so well?

(I know there are other series with people who go through that kinda thing (Haibane Renmei, for instance), but it's usually something that only happens to one character, at the end of the series; Rather than do it over and over again, nearly every episode, a la Death Parade and NGE. THAT's what I'm looking for. ;) )

Looking at Yuzuru Tachikawa's other stuff, I see he was asst. dir. on Zankyou no Terror. Anyone seen it, tell me how it might compare?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:29 am

As the autumn closes in, I start to get that gap in the evenings between dinner and bedtime when I have the space to watch something again (rather than pottering around the house and garden). I do have a backlog, including series acquired over a decade ago and not yet watched, and things awaiting a re-watch, but I'm interested to leaven this with more recent titles as well.

Apart from a couple of shows from Q1/Winter this year, I've not really watched much that came out new since Q2/Spring last year; the "what are you watching" thread has remained exceedingly quiet, and /a/ has really gone way down the "only watching for the waifu of the season" sink -- so what is there that I've missed that might appeal to my quirky tastes? Or has that really been it?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Official "What should I watch next?" thread BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:56 am

If I understand your interests correctly ( sadly, no overpowered magical-girl anime to my recollection)

Made In Abyss

Precocious girl with robot-boy companion, cave raiding further and further down in the world's giant pit in order to find her long-lost mother.

Beyond that, I'm a little more speculative.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul would be next in my mind, and it's been going pretty strong.

Just as with season 1, the characters are simply fun to watch (especially Nina, our genkai Dragon-girl protagonist), yet unlike S1, the plot isn't here to ruin that, as it's mostly driven by one of the characters. An authoritarian King, who is here to make Humanity great again! (by killing off both the Gods & Demons).

Only wish we would get more of zombie girl Rita; she's like a Wednesday Addams crossed with Mary Poppins.

BAHA BAHA BAHA SOUL!!!!

Isekai Shokudou perhaps?

People from a fantasy universe discover a restaurant to another (our) world. It's kind of formulaic, no true plot to speak of. You gradually find out how certain characters are linked to one another.

Moe in the sense you're just watching it for how people describe their food, stuck-up elves be flummoxed, and dwarves clap their feet.
And for the strangely hot dragons-as-elf chicks.

Shoukoku no Altair

Definitely the surprise for me of the season; vaguely Turkish setting, roughly animated, but insightful in its presentation of geopolitics. Even (whom I'm assuming to be) the arc antagonist, isn't really a villian, but a man hell bent on making his nation independent of the hegemony the protag works for.

Happy to say that no, the hawk does not solve all problems.

If you're looking for something dark, Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl) has a 4th season out, led by people who directed S2, so fans are saying it's back to form compared to the let-down S3. Mostly Episodic, so it's not really necessary to have seen the previous seasons, or even watch most of the episodes in any particular order.

"Care to give death a try?"
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:38 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:sadly, no overpowered magical-girl anime to my recollection
That would have been Symphogear AXZ this season, if it had been where I usually look for these things (OK, that one you can argue is actually mecha musume). And next season, there's YuYuYu S2, which again you could argue is technically "clerical girl", even if I have watched the first cut of the first half of it already.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:49 pm

I'd say check out both runs of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, though it does take a few episodes to get used to and thus may not pass the Tines test(maybe it already failed?)

I recommend KumaMiko too, which was a quirky and funny and great show that has a slightly bad reputation because I guess people didn't realize that a show about a shrine maiden chilling with a bear was supposed to be a comedy.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:18 pm

So I ended up making a Crunchyroll account while attempting to watch Watanbe's Blade Runner 2022 short, and I now realized that I could watch anime on Crunchyroll. Does anyone have recommendations for anime to watch on the UK Crunchyroll (since that's the region I'm in)?

To give some context, I'm looking for interesting shows with really good animation, a distinct visual style or very well done storyboards; obviously, I'd like the writing to be good, but I really want the visual storytelling to be good as well. Also, anything innovative or groundbreaking in the history of animation would be appreciated. I've got a few shows on queue as is:

-Yuri!!! On ICE
-Space Patrol Luluco
-Lupin III Part 4
-SHIROBAKO
-Great Teacher Onizuka
-Anime Classic Collection (stuff from the 20's and 30's)
-Robot Carnival (film)

But I'll happily admit to not knowing where else to look. If anyone could give me a few pointers, that would be very much appreciated! :D
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:54 am

The first titles that come to mind that fit those criteria would be Akagi and Kemono Friends.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:12 am

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:To give some context, I'm looking for interesting shows with really good animation, a distinct visual style or very well done storyboards; obviously, I'd like the writing to be good, but I really want the visual storytelling to be good as well. Also, anything innovative or groundbreaking in the history of animation would be appreciated.

Obviously One Punch. But if you haven't seen that one ye--- get out. And don't you dare come back until you've watched it, AND THE OVAS, YOU HEATHEN!

Most works by Kyoto animation would also apply. They take on fewer works per year than most studios just so that they can ensure to give their projects that extra polish.

... Not to say that they aren't capable of making shiny pieces of Rei un-birth. But typically, they aren't that harem-happy.

Oh, and Mob Psycho 100. It's Ed apparently is an exclusive form of paint-on-glass style that can only be made, basically, by the person they hired to do it. That ED is also an excellent form of visual storytelling; highlighting a subtle, touching detail of one of the main characters.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:18 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Obviously One Punch. But if you haven't seen that one ye---
Crunchy UK goes straight from Onee-chan ga kita to OneRoom, which rules that one out. Myriad Colours and Mob they do have.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:02 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Crunchy UK goes straight from Onee-chan ga kita to OneRoom, which rules (OPM) out.

Yup, Britlanders need to go to Daisuki.net for OPM; ideally before the site dies at the end of October. Sad, that.

Alaska Slim wrote:shiny pieces of Rei un-birth.

Say what you want about Phantom World, it is at least damn pretty to look it.

FrDougal9000 wrote:1) anything groundbreaking in the history of animation
2) distinct visual style

1) Hmm... I don't suppose infamy counts, but... School Days :devil:
2) Last I checked- Ping Pong and The Flowers of Evil were still in the Crunchy library.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:13 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:1) Hmm... I don't suppose infamy counts, but... School Days :devil:

I agree it's not great, but I actually mildly recommend School Days; it has its points. Its pacing is poor; but if you're prepared to watch the show for yourself instead of just following along in your head with all the criticism you've read, you might find you don't agree with all of that criticism.

2) Last I checked- Ping Pong and The Flowers of Evil were still in the Crunchy library.

I don't get on with either of these (I did finish Ping Pong, though), but plenty do.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:12 pm

I recommend School Days, not because it's good, but because it's awesome. Technically horrible, but it put a sadistic smile on my face and I'll always be grateful for it's existence. Kind of like The Room.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:32 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Crunchy UK goes straight from Onee-chan ga kita to OneRoom, which rules that one out. Myriad Colours and Mob they do have.

Professor... all of the sadness in the first 10 minutes aside... I feel like this anime was basically made for you:

Inuyashiki

More in the vein of that transhumanism Jazz, just to be clear.

Return to “Anime and Manga”