Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Evangelion's site and Facebook/Twitter covers updated with new images - First teases of Shin Eva

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:58 am

View Original PostChainer3000 wrote:Y'all falling for Anno's trap. This last movie is going to be 1 hour and 25 minutes of fast cut, ultra dense commentary from Anno, like flashes of aborted scripts, mad scrawling, creepy children drawings, couple comfy cat shots, and then just 20 minutes of the three walking through the desert, and eventually they just end up dying of thirst. Credits roll. Maybe a big fight is built up somewhere that never comes to fruition in favor of the three adult-children speaking existential angst while slugging through the desert and a couple text cards telling us that we don't get what we want

Onscreen deaths of main characters would be a first for Anno, and would certainly be a bold choice considering his past work.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Evangelion's site and Facebook/Twitter covers updated with new images - First teases of Shin Eva

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:09 am

Not counting Asuka, Misato, Ritsuko and Gendō in EoE, then? (Yes, I know it all changes through Instrumentality.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:16 am

Asuka didn't die on screen, or at least the viewer isn't given any kind of confirmation on her status. Ritsuko and Gendo probably aren't main characters, but Misato definitly is a main character and died on screen.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:00 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Onscreen deaths of main characters would be a first for Anno, and would certainly be a bold choice considering his past work.

I must have imagined the paint job Kaworu gave his entry plug at the end of Q then.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

The Cruel
Banned

Postby The Cruel » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:01 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Asuka didn't die on screen, or at least the viewer isn't given any kind of confirmation on her status. Ritsuko and Gendo probably aren't main characters, but Misato definitly is a main character and died on screen.

If 3I didn't happened then Asuka would've succumbed to her injuries and died. If her Eva would've been active while it was impaled through the head, then she would've died instantly. And like she wouldn't have felt how she was ripped apart and stabbed while being deep in synch with 02/Kyoko.

Something like this can't happen again to her in 3.0+1.0. It would be too predictable and unoriginal. And Bardiel wouldn't let her die either, for her being it's host. If Asuka dies, then also Bardiel would. But this won't make her suffer less.

In the end anyones deed 'll have their consequences. And so why should they deserve it any better?
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:12 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I must have imagined the paint job Kaworu gave his entry plug at the end of Q then.

It's so weird considering Kaworu as a main character, but yeah, I guess you're right.

CommanderFish
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby CommanderFish » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:49 pm

pwhodges wrote:Kaworu isn't always right, though. And as a pianist, I can say that his approach to practice is severely lacking!

Just to be clear here, I'm not talking about the piano.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Obviously; but Kaworu was, which is what my comment related to.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:35 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:
"Repeat the same thing over and over again. Keep going until you're happy with it. It's the only way." :tongue:

Plus, isn't that very close to the "definition" of INSANITY? Repeating the same thing, over and over, expecting different results?
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:33 pm

I think that Kaworu's point was more about praticing and arriving at a level that you feel confident about, not about systematically doing the same thing all over again expecting a different outcome.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:13 pm

^

I figured that. I was pointing out the irony of that statement, considering the direction Shinji took to "save" the world both times, by getting in an Eva.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:18 am

Fun realization before I passed out tonight for bed. Let me put my crazy hat on as sleep overcomes my eyelids....

Every Rebuild movie has come out on a Saturday.

September 1, 2017 - Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone. A Saturday.
June 27, 2009 - Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance. A Saturday.
November 17, 2012 - Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo. A Saturday.

September 1, 2018, the 11th Anniversary of the start of this crazy thing... is a Saturday.

Would be a fitting date if I do say so myself. (But of course the movie could not come till 2019 & I'd be okay with that as long as it's great)

...I got nothing. Carry on.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:15 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Soooo does this mean that this film's gonna pick up immediately after the end of the previous film, ala Return Of The King / The Matrix Revolutions?

I really was hoping it wouldn't be like that. I was hoping it would start a while after the events of Q/3.33 to give Shinji some time to recover before they put him right back into the thick of it again.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:31 am

Surely watching the process of his recovery is the essence of the story.

Ryuichi
Embryo

Postby Ryuichi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:50 am

This is so exciting.Finally, we can speculate about the little hints and cryptic pictures Anno releases. I really hope the last movie won't be a disappointment, I want a mind fuck. A good old Anno like end of eva type thing.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:50 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Fun realization before I passed out tonight for bed. Let me put my crazy hat on as sleep overcomes my eyelids....

Every Rebuild movie has come out on a Saturday.

September 1, 2017 - Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone. A Saturday.
June 27, 2009 - Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance. A Saturday.
November 17, 2012 - Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo. A Saturday.

September 1, 2018, the 11th Anniversary of the start of this crazy thing... is a Saturday.

Would be a fitting date if I do say so myself. (But of course the movie could not come till 2019 & I'd be okay with that as long as it's great)

...I got nothing. Carry on.

November 17 too it's a Saturday. ^_^

The Cruel
Banned

Postby The Cruel » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:14 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Surely watching the process of his recovery is the essence of the story.

No rest for the guilty. He and everyone 'll suffer until its over.

Ryuichi wrote:This is so exciting.Finally, we can speculate about the little hints and cryptic pictures Anno releases. I really hope the last movie won't be a disappointment, I want a mind fuck. A good old Anno like end of eva type thing.

Expectations are a very fatal mistake in watching Evangelion. It punishes you for it in confronting you with the total opposite of what you expect. That was with EoE and 3.0+1.0 could be the same and that defines Eva as a mind fuck, for not giving a fuck about what you want. Expect nothing and be done with it.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:41 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Surely watching the process of his recovery is the essence of the story.

Obviously if the story began again some time after 3.33 Shinji wouldn't be completely recovered. But he would be recovered enough to be able to function and be proactive in the final movie. Then the movie would about him making the last few steps to getting closure if nothing else. I really hope Final doesn't end like EOE with Misato and/or Asuka forcing him into the Eva again at the point when he's too psychologically broken to do anything.

Also, I brought this up already. If you look at the poster you can see that the top of the Telephone pole isn't covered in red/turned into core material. . . could that mean what I think it does?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:24 pm

The movie should span at least a few days, WILLE will be able to repair the self destruct Unit 02, so Shinji should have all the time he needs to recover even if the action starts right after Q.

Regarding the poles it could mean that the further away they go from the epicenter the lesser spread the "core-ification" is. Inside NERV too there was a plant and some flowers.
Or it could be just an artistic choice.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:52 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Inside NERV too there was a plant and some flowers.

The inside of Headquarters wasn't affected by the coreification (until 13 went and took care of that). The Eva cages are rusted from being exposed to the air.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”