Evangelion 3+1, No 2016 Release?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Evangelion 3+1, No 2016 Release?

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:06 pm

They were going to release one a year, with 3.0 and 4.0 being released together as two half-length movies. Slightly missed the mark on that one, didn't they? :lol:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Only Slightly did they miss it.

@Hui - Hm I do remember reading about that from other members. Like I'm getting impatient now just being almost 2 year into the fan-base. But I don't want to imagine like how long someone like Eva Monkey has been waiting for this entire series to be complete.

Also I really could've watched Eva earlier, problem is when 3.0 was just being released which was late 2012, I was like "Fuck anime" and then I learned a year+ later it's some good stuff.

Wait... So a Final release of 2013.... when 3.0 came out late 2012. Did anyone catch on that the movies releases where being spread further and further?
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:45 pm

The hope was that the 3 years between 2.0 and 3.0 was an abnormality and that they'd used the extra time to work on both movies, or to get 4.0's pre-work all done.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:32 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:how long someone like Eva Monkey has been waiting for this entire series to be complete

Why did you pick Eva Monkey, as opposed to any number of veterans (like, say, me...) who have not only ALSO been here the whole time, but have actually been participating in the Rebuild subforum's discussion? :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:41 am

It's crazy to think it's been almost a decade since the project was announced.

It would almost be kind've wonderful if Khara released Final on September 1, 2017 - the 10 year anniversary of the release of "You Are (Not) Alone".

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby LightDragonman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:45 am

Seriously, this is just absolutely frustrating, and also makes me resent the new Godzilla film for causing this delay.

In the time it's taken for this film to be released, I've seen so many other films and stories come and evolve their characters, yet Eva is still stuck in this one depressing spot, all while Anno goes off and works on other things. He leaves us in limbo for two whole years (which is at least justifiable due to his depression), and then makes a statement that it won't be finished for even more years because he's off filming a guy in a rubber suit.

I'm sorry, but that's doesn't make me feel much respect for the guy.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:08 am

Hah! - such trivial delays...

Wagner stopped work on his opera Siegfried (part of The Ring) for twelve years, writing two unrelated masterpieces in the meantime while deciding how to continue. And now, love him or hate him, he is pretty much universally recognised as one of the most important composers in the history of opera.

I'm sure I can forgive Anno a little hiccough in his journey.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby LightDragonman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:12 am

Are you seriously comparing Anno to Wagner?

And my point still stands, regardless of how much you guys worship everything Anno does.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:33 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Are you seriously comparing Anno to Wagner?

I'm not really seeing what the issue is with that? It's a valid point. He's not comparing the two in terms of style, just saying that an artist can take a lengthy amount of time to release something and it can still be a masterpiece.

I always, and I know it's a different form of media but look at the games industry. Delays can make a better product, rushing something out for the sake of it doesn't always work. Things can take time and I'd much rather Anno be in a healthy state of mind to create the next film, I'd rather him be happy and satisfied by the final product rather than him just rush it out and create something subpar.

Now am I happy about the delays? No of course I not, I want it to be out as soon as possible. I want to know what happens but I'll accept it.

Also, and I don't even know why I'm saying this because you've been told this numerous times but you continue to fail to recognize how important a franchise like Godzilla is in Japan. To him and to them it isn't just a 'guy in a rubber suit' it is a cultural phenomenon. It has served as a reflection of their society and fears. It would be like asking someone in England if they wanted to work on Doctor Who, it'd be like being asked to work on Star Trek or Star Wars.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:07 am

LightDragonman: Your displays of bile are so adorable. You want the next movie so badly, FAR more badly than many of us who respect the franchise and the people helming it, but you're so intent on showing that you're also an Internet Tough Guy who doesn't care. If you're SOOO above and beyond this, just walk away like a grown-up and keep busy with things that give you genuine pleasure, instead of repeatedly demonstrating that you're a hyper-entitled baby, sitting around in your own soiled drawers expecting someone else to change them for you, and passively waiting for the next big bloated tit you can suck dry.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby LightDragonman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:08 am

Thanks for your reply jcmoorehead. And I'll just ignore how Reichu described me as.

It's interesting that you bring up the game industry in terms of the film's continuous delays so as to justify them. I am an avid gamer and a follower of the game industry as well, which actually contributes to my feelings regarding the delays. Yes, delaying something can indeed make a product better. Plus, believe it or not, I don't like rushed stories any more than you do.

However, here's the thing. The more you delay something, the more it has to live up to. I've seen several games that were delayed time after time again, and when they were finally released, they ultimately fell short. Even the ones that weren't flat out bad were still seem as disappointing, because with all that extra time, the end product failed to live up to the added expectations all those delays gave it.

That's one of the major reasons why all the delays to this film have me rather agitated. By delaying this fil time after time again. Anno has basically put huge amounts of expectations behind it, and the film had better be a fricken amazing one, because if it isn't, even if it is still acceptable in terms of quality, the film's poorer elements will be made even more sour as a result.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:25 am

Oh believe me I know the expectation thing all to well. I've worked on a delayed product so I know the fear that you feel when it finally gets put out there and you wait to see the reaction.

The thing is though it depends on the reason for the delays and what is happening behind the scenes. With Eva 3.0+1.0 we waited for someone to recharge their batteries and also work on a passion project. It's frustrating but it isn't like there was any drama behind the scenes that caused trouble. We know the film is being worked on, slowly but it is. That's why I still have confidence that it'll be great because without the delay we would get a shoddy product.

When you have a look at certain games that were delayed or took time you have two types, the type that come out after a while and are great because the delays were to make the game better, fix bugs, etc and when they come out they're great. Or you have the types that have really troubled backgrounds and when they finally come out they're... not that great.

I mean think of it this way, I'm a huge fan of Meat Loaf. I was born just before Bat Out Of Hell 2 was released. There were over ten years between Bat Out Of Hell 1 and Bat out Of Hell 2. Fans waited years and years for another collaboration between Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman, when both were ready it resulted in Bat 2 and it was amazing. There were minimal issues with its creation and it was what the fans wanted.

Then we waited for Bat 3, which took 12 years and had a troubled development with a falling out between Meat/Jim and record company interference and while it was good it wasn't... quite what we wanted. If it had a bit more time for Jim to come up with the songs and not have to be rushed it might have been great.

So the behind the scenes stuff can also play into how good it'll be. Eva isn't troubled in development so I have faith it'll be good.

I do understand the want to see it sooner rather than later though. That's one of the reasons I started writing Hand.Cannot.Erase, just so I could have fun filling in some blanks with headcanons while we wait. :P

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:54 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It's crazy to think it's been almost a decade since the project was announced.

It would almost be kind've wonderful if Khara released Final on September 1, 2017 - the 10 year anniversary of the release of "You Are (Not) Alone".

2017 would be a really nice year. July 19 is also the 20 year anniversary of The End of Evangelion! Of course, 2015 also felt like a good year since it was the franchise's 20th. -o-;

A gap of 3-4 years between movie sequels isn't all that uncommon. It was 4 between Star Trek and Into Darkness, will be 4 between Godzilla and Godzilla 2, 3 years between each of the first six Star Wars movies, and 3 between each of the Underworld movies except for the newest one, which is skirting close to 5 years. I've been waiting almost 10 years for Hellboy 3. :dejected:

It is super frustrating to wait for so long without a hint of news, but that's just how Khara is. They'll stay quiet until they're ready to start the promotional hype, and there's really nothing any of us can do to speed that up. :ehh:

I think what makes this wait more frustrating is the lack of any other Eva media to fill the gap. The manga's done. SIRP just wrapped up. That new AU manga is sort of flying by under the radar and there aren't any new video games except for mobile games and crossover cameos.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:44 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Why did you pick Eva Monkey, as opposed to any number of veterans (like, say, me...) who have not only ALSO been here the whole time, but have actually been participating in the Rebuild subforum's discussion? :p

I'll fix it. =p

Gendo'sPapa wrote:It's crazy to think it's been almost a decade since the project was announced.

I would almost want to say it's gonna come earlier, but what do I know.

Also if we want to compare games... If we are finally getting a Final Fantasy 7 Remake, then anything can happen.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:49 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:It is super frustrating to wait for so long without a hint of news

I dunno. To be perfectly honest, I don't feel any frustration regarding Shin's delay whatsoever. I am 150% content to just not think about it at all. There is so much else in this world to keep me busier than busy. By the time the film is here, it will not have felt like any wait at all, because I wasn't waiting.

The repeated creation of threads like these is boggling, since it feels like little more than self-torture. No amount of speculation or griping or anything else will make the movie arrive faster. All it does, from what I can tell, is result in the wait being something that is felt even more acutely. So why bother? "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:57 am

^I did make this thread just to discuss how many people believe it will coming after 2016(which was a resounding Yes, it will.), but we've moved onto something else entirely now.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:15 am

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:we've moved onto something else entirely now.

Any thread regarding the subject of when something will come out that has not yet committed to a specific release date (and especially if that something has already exceeded past projections at least twice) tends to follow a very predictable course. When I was still an admin, I think I locked as many of them as possible. The ones that obviously had no purpose other than baseless rumor-mongering were dealt the quickest death. Felt so good, man.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm okay with the films taking this long. I have a life. I live it. When the films come out, I celebrate them, but they are not all encompassing parts of my existence. Nor does a longer hiatus between films create some sort of odd mathematical equation of "Time + Wait = Expectation Squared".

Mind you, for all the bitching people make the final not being out or Khara not releasing news or images or trailers - things that all do create a sense of anticipation & should absolutely not be released to the public if the film in question is in no way ready - I want to throw out the little fact that releasing 4 ANIMATED films in the span of 10 years is INCREDIBLY FAST. Aside from a great deal of shots in the first half of 1.0 these four movies are all original content & are all theatrical movie quality level animation. Those take time. A lot of time. Anno & crew can't just go out with a camera for a weekend & make the entire movie.

1. Be Patient.

2. If you can't be patient, just remember that you bitching about how you can't be patient is not a fault of the filmmakers.

These artists are CREATING something & have been afforded the rare pleasure of not being assigned a deadline. They should be allowed all the time in the world they need to get it right. Especially since there's a likely chance this will be the last thing Eva that Hideaki Anno & his close peers work on. Let them take their time because in the long run these films are going to exist for the rest of history.

Plus, Godzilla Resurgence looks amazing so it's not like Anno spent the last two years asleep & doing nothing.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:31 pm

The only hope I have for anything this year, and I doubt even that, is a trailer of some kind with the Godzilla film. That said, it's gotten to the point where I'm not too fussed when it comes out because I've waited this long, I can wait longer.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:41 pm

I'm actually somewhat hoping we get to see a short Godzilla vs Evangelion short that plays before GR, just as GGWAiT played before Q
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”