Do people still hate Evangelion 3.33?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: Do people still hate Evangelion 3.33?

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:00 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I'm almost positive Q could be more of the same that Ha was and people on here would still love it. I really don't see the hate for 2.0 on here that everyone keeps talking about.

Lol, another fun fact is that people outside Evageeks love 2.22 while in here most members didn't like it.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:27 am

Both films were very strongly argued about in this forum, which suggests that there were plenty of people on both sides in each case. Blanket generalisations are often not really useful!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:49 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I'm almost positive Q could be more of the same that Ha was and people on here would still love it. I really don't see the hate for 2.0 on here that everyone keeps talking about.

A large part of that is because Q essentially "fixed" things, making Eva seem like Eva again. Before Q came out feelings about Ha were both strong and harsh around here.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:30 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:A large part of that is because Q essentially "fixed" things, making Eva seem like Eva again. Before Q came out feelings about Ha were both strong and harsh around here.

I frankly only saw one thread about Ha being awful and that was the stickied "Rebuild isn't your daily two minute hate." thread, other than that, I don't recall the hate, but then again I'm going off people's posting behavior a year before Q was released. However that statement you made "Q fixing Eva" what is that supposed to mean? 1.0 and 2.0 weren't Eva? I'll admit the point is centered on Shinji's emotional development, but if Q was the only thing that was "True Eva" than we would have had a dark and depressing movie series from the beginning. Q doesn't work without the "bait" that is Jo and Ha. Because if we started depressing to begin the popularity of NTE might not have came as far as it did. I'm by no means saying Q should have been more like Jo and Ha (and honestly, everyone should have saw Q being dark coming a mile away), but I don't think the first two are any less Eva simply because they don't have the same atmosphere (if that's the right word to use, forgive me for not knowing a better one).
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:51 am

For the record, I love Ha! It was very refreshing, cleanly animated, wonderfully presented, and extremely fun for the most part. I often find myself watching NTE for Ha, and then staying for the masterfully delivered Q. (Jo hardly ranked anywhere in my interests of NTE until it was redefined by Q. And — holy crap! —what a redefinition.)

In fact, that's how I usually sucker myself into watching Eva. I find myself really, really wanting to see that action arc, and then what it's over the rest of the show happens and it's amazing.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:A good part of the hate expressed here about Ha centred about Asuka being totally out of character for Sohryu.

It's a good thing she's not Sohryu then, isn't it? :D

View Original PostDima wrote:One thing i noticed is that EvaGeeks love 3.33 while most people in other forums hate it.

I'm not sure what the other forums were expecting, really. I mean, as unexpected as Eva Q was, we all knew that Eva had to start being less "fun" at some point.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:02 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:For the record, I love Ha! It was very refreshing, cleanly animated, wonderfully presented, and extremely fun for the most part. I often find myself watching NTE for Ha, and then staying for the masterfully delivered Q.

Yep, this is exactly what i think about 2.22.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I'm not sure what the other forums were expecting, really. I mean, as unexpected as Eva Q was, we all knew that Eva had to start being less "fun" at some point.

I think that after 2.22, the mainstream audience was expecting a different show from what Eva was.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:30 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:the mainstream audience was expecting a different show from what Eva was.

They didn't get what Eva was from the start then.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:31 pm

And that being?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:06 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:And that being?

A story about believable characters rather than one that hits all the standard Hollywood cliches.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:07 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Jo hardly ranked anywhere in my interests of NTE until it was redefined by Q. And — holy crap! —what a redefinition.

Could you go into detail into how Q changed your view of Jo?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:46 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:A story about believable characters rather than one that hits all the standard Hollywood cliches.

It just hit different Hollywood cliches.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:48 pm

Is it possible to avoid clichés if people are inclined to look for them?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:15 pm

Eva always had cliches but it turned those cliches on itheir heads so it was okay. Rebuild is a retelling so that flipping of cliches probably doesn't feel so fresh like it once did.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:15 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I frankly only saw one thread about Ha being awful and that was the stickied "Rebuild isn't your daily two minute hate." thread, other than that, I don't recall the hate, but then again I'm going off people's posting behavior a year before Q was released.

That thread was created because discussions were getting pretty heated in the first year or two after 2.0 hit. The backlash subsided a lot after 3.0 came out.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Exactly. As I said, it amounts to "this movie is flawed because it didn't do what I wanted it to do!" But that doesn't make it flawed at all. That just means lots of viewers missed the point of the exercise, which is an altogether different problem (and one that has nothing to do with the movie).

I can't count how many times I've seen people say they skipped 1.0 because of its similarities to eps 1-6, or suggested that others do the same. They complain about Rebuild being "confusing garbage," but they can't or won't consider the movies as their own work and try to plaster over the gaps in their understanding with elements from the manga and tv series. Kinda hard to properly judge the narrative when you're skipping a third, isn't it?
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:31 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I can't count how many times I've seen people say they skipped 1.0 because of its similarities to eps 1-6, or suggested that others do the same. They complain about Rebuild being "confusing garbage," but they can't or won't consider the movies as their own work and try to plaster over the gaps in their understanding with elements from the manga and tv series. Kinda hard to properly judge the narrative when you're skipping a third, isn't it?

Definitely. Many of the differences in Jo really set things up for Ha and Q, and writing the movie off as a rehash of NGE is a mistake IMO. And besides, who in their right mind would want to miss that fantastic battle against the 6th Angel? Poor Ramiel in NGE is green with envy! :lol:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:36 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I frankly only saw one thread about Ha being awful and that was the stickied "Rebuild isn't your daily two minute hate." thread, other than that, I don't recall the hate
Going back and reading the threads after all this time, when the emotional charge has drained away, doesn't really give a fair representation of how it felt at the time, but for a sampler, these are the most concentrated containment threads --

thread/11561/Debate-the-quality-of-Rebuild-here-1/
thread/7773/Debate-the-quality-of-Rebuild-here-2/
thread/6969/How-are-you-liking-Rebuild-so-far-ITT-We-tag-Spoilers/20/

but also things like

thread/11925/20-Asukas-treatment-in-movie-Cringe-inducing/
thread/6339/Shikinami-Asuka-Langley/
thread/8871/So-I-heard-a-lot-of-folks-didnt-like-Mari/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:41 pm

The best part in 2.22 is when Unit 01 is rejecting the Dummy Plug and we know this because the Dummy Plug is screaming
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:45 am

Unless you revisit threads from before 3.0's release, you're not going to see a whole lot of it. The forum was a shitstorm after 2.0 came out. And if 3.0 had been 90 minutes of inane fan pandering, you can bet EGF would have been doused in fire and brimstone once again.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:00 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Unless you revisit threads from before 3.0's release, you're not going to see a whole lot of it. The forum was a shitstorm after 2.0 came out. And if 3.0 had been 90 minutes of inane fan pandering, you can bet EGF would have been doused in fire and brimstone once again.

Well... It WAS 90 minutes of inane fan pandering. Just for the fans that enjoy Shinji suffering ^_^
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:46 am

And why do most here disagree with that?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”