This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

antinitrogen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby antinitrogen » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:49 am

Last edited by antinitrogen on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Never seen Evangelion before - Dub or Sub?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:09 am

The director's cuts are the versions of some of the later episodes (21-24) that were revised for home video release in Japan, as the original production struggled with time and budget issues. They add material above the normal episode running time, some of which paves the way to the different take on the ending, rather than replacing anything. Personally I would say "production order, every time", which means watch the on-air versions 1-26, then the DC 21-24 and EoE.

I don't follow the current day fansub scene, so I don't know if you've got one of the 20th anniversary BD encodes there, or just older DVD rips, but I'd say if you're going that route, you might as well go for the best.

The dub vs sub question is one of the big religious arguments in the fandom. The difference in voices and accent and direction makes the characters come over differently, and the dub dialog loses some of the nuances of the original.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

CarlosIXA
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CarlosIXA » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:18 am

The dub is almost infamous for being largely a disservice to the series, with voice acting that would rip the concrete from the roads and streets through sheer lack of quality, the overall changes in intention when it comes to much of the audio (outside of the voice acting, I mean), mistranslations that end up changing the intent of Evangelion, some of which have falsely viewed Evangelion as the opposite of what it really (which I won't say because you asked not to spoil anything about it). End of Evangelion comes to mind the most, mostly due to Amanda Winn Lee's incompetent ADR direction which often made changes that ended up making the piece worse as a result (one scene in the Japanese dub plays out as disturbing/cool, while, with the English dub, due to adding this sound effect which sounds like a Smucker's jam-covered hand is being pulled out a cow's rectum, the scene is completely ridiculous to watch).

ADV and Manga Entertainment were incompetent in their method of bringing Evangelion over to the states. Unless you just want to enjoy yourself watching Evangelion and not try to actively put your attention onto the message of the story, stick with the Japanese dub with the English subs. However, I am aware that some dialogue in the official subtitles mirrors that of the dub (along with some of its mistranslations), so you might have to be careful about that.

Hope this short rant was helpful.
Evolved Genesis Arvongelion - go here

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:33 am

I'll echo Mr. Tines in all respects, as his take is very accurate IMO. As for dub vs. sub, it really depends. If you're the sort who can enjoy an anime series with subtitles I'd highly recommend going that route, since the performances were directed by the show's creator and are generally much more nuanced than their English-speaking counterparts. Beyond that, the dubs are a mediocre effort, and every much a product of their times. But if you don't enjoy watching anime subtitled the dubs will do; many people prefer them simply because they understand what's being said, which is no crime. It's ultimately up to you.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

antinitrogen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby antinitrogen » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:24 am

Last edited by antinitrogen on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eliaskar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Eliaskar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:24 am

As someone who's currently re-watching the entire series subbed right now (something I just haven't done due to time and convenience really), I have to say that whilst I am okay with the English dub release, despite a few hiccups (major ones with EoE), I do much prefer the original voicework and subtitles.

Some of the voicework has made me appreciate some episodes, especially the earlier ones, much more than I did before. Some of the horror and emotional punch in the character's voices comes through so much more. But it's all preference really.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:42 am

I am content with the dub; I've watched some episodes subbed, but not the whole thing. Even that sound effect in EoE is just a slightly cheesy moment, and I see no reason to let it spoil anything for more than a few seconds. But as people have said already, it really is up to you and your own preference.

As for the films, only the 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33 versions are sold on disk. The x.0 versions were the original theatrical ones, and the home releases were slightly improved in a few places (1.11 and 2.22 more than 3.33). You may come across 1.01 as well, but that's a really bad video transfer (in the English version, at least), and so not worth considering IMO).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:33 pm

View Original Postantinitrogen wrote:Thank you all for your input, I think I'll watch it subbed then. Do you think it would be worth it to rewatch it casually dubbed at a later date?

If you were to watch it dubbed initially I think it would be worth rewatching it subbed, but I do not think the reverse holds unless you really like dubs and prefer them for casual rewatches. At that point it comes down entirely to personal preference and what you get out of the experience.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:49 pm

Honestly, you're going to end up watching the series again at some point. Everyone does. Almost always to garner a clearer picture of Eva's themes, character arcs and sinister plots. Watch it dubbed then go back for subs.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

antinitrogen
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby antinitrogen » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Last edited by antinitrogen on Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:54 pm

If you get enjoyment out of slightly hammy 90s dubs like Ranma 1/2 or anything by Manga UK, Eva's is one of the best; it has a ton of character, and it gets across most of the important points from the original just fine. (It was overseen by Gainax, so.) If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, then watch it subbed. It doesn't actually make all that huge a difference, despite what some may say. I've never met anyone who had a radically different understanding of the series based on the language they watched it in.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:54 pm

View Original Postantinitrogen wrote:Are you sure that watching it dubbed won't "spoil the magic" of Evangelion? Will it ruin my enjoyment of the show? I know this is all pretty absurd, me asking such strange questions instead of watching it myself, but I just want to make sure I have a "perfect" viewing. Do you find rewatching Evangelion boring as you already know what will happen?

I didn't. If anything, repeated viewings can actually enhance the experience since your'e almost always going to spot something you've never seen before
Last edited by Arcadia's legacy on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:07 pm

For me personally I find the dub takes the edge off what is otherwise a pretty bleak and depressing experience in the last 4 or 5 episodes.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:36 pm

View Original Postantinitrogen wrote:Are you sure that watching it dubbed won't "spoil the magic" of Evangelion? Will it ruin my enjoyment of the show? I know this is all pretty absurd, me asking such strange questions instead of watching it myself, but I just want to make sure I have a "perfect" viewing. Do you find rewatching Evangelion boring as you already know what will happen?

The magic of Evangelion goes beyond the dubbing, English or Japanese. Still, I viewed it first in English and despite some hiccups, there were a lot of powerful performances. I've rewatched the series at least 7 times and often just throw on an episode or two some days. It's been 10 years since I first watched the show and it hasn't gotten boring.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:43 pm

I'm "original Japanese dub all the way", but it's really your decision and up to your preferences. Like others have said, NGE is a show that's best viewed more than once, so no reason you can't watch it both ways if you choose. For your first time, pick whichever option makes the first viewing smoother for you.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:17 pm

I've never seen the sub not even once and I prefer dubbs in generals so that's my bias.

I'd be sceptical of any extreme critism of the dub. At worse it's mediocre and IMO is pretty good. Like people who think it's complete crap probably have a lame definition of good voice acting. And like Glor said some of their performances are very good. When mommwnts get vey emotional the voice actors step it up. And I wouldn't stress the translations too much. Like I've never read a good explanation or thereoy that could not be understood or have been figured out just using the dub.

Also don't stress the viewing order. If you like the show you'll end up watching everything atleast once and you'll have to watch it all to figure out ur preferred viewing order anyway. I'd go and just watch the original run first. But ultimately like people have said just pick your preference.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:28 pm

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:Like people who think it's complete crap probably have a lame definition of good voice acting.

This hypothesis might be complete crap.

And I wouldn't stress the translations too much. Like I've never read a good explanation or thereoy that could not be understood or have been figured out just using the dub.

I've been talking about NGE on forums since 2003 or so, and the number of times that a point of contention has arisen, only for it to turn out to be a dub-specific flub, are more than I can count. The dub absolutely cannot be relied upon for serious speculation.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:35 pm

To say that Acting wise they are complete crap is stretching like they are complete crap compared to what? And sometimes they do extremely well.
I was under the impreasion that generally the translation problems are usually about back story things. Like could I get examples. Like has translation problems ever really confuse things about the characters specifically in huge ways?
Last edited by zlink64 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hmmm

Eliaskar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Eliaskar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:37 pm

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:Acting wise saying they where complete crap is stretching like they are complete crap compared to what?
I was under the impreasion that generally the translation problems are usually about back story things. Like could I get examples. Like has translation problems ever really confuse things about the characters specifically in huge ways?

I can think of one example.

In the Dub in EoE,
SPOILER: Show
Misato tells Shinji that Lilith came from Adam. Which is factually not true and contradicts the Japanese entirely.

Spoiler added as courtesy for OP -- Tines.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Yeah that factoid won't influence your general understanding of the characters and once you learn that you just keep it in mind going forward. Also for sake of og poster use spoiler warnings.

And chances are first time lveiwer is going to learn that background stuff from someone else any way regardless of sub or dub.
Last edited by zlink64 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hmmm

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”