Fire Emblem Franchise

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Fire Emblem Franchise

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:00 pm

This is some 4kids levels of dumb name changes:
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/01/21/nintendo-responds-changes-fire-emblem-fates-western-localization/
Ignore the comments in this article for your own sanity, I didn't and now I need a drink.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:38 pm

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-fates-removes-petting-mini-game-in-the-west/
Enjoy your butchered inferior copy of an already inferior version of awakening.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:45 pm

I'm going to take this with a grain of salt for now since the original source of this story was kotaku but that being said I wouldn't be surprised if its been taken out this just justifies my importing of the Japanese version of the game more.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:46 pm

Noooooooooo!

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:54 pm

as many a people have pointed out on sernes forest there is still a ! on kamui's tree house implying that something is still there in the english version of the game now either kotaku is full of shit or we're going to be getting a heavy modified version of the face rubbing
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:13 pm

This whole thing could have been avoided with something as simple as an off switch.

Here's what Nintendo should have done, make it OPTIONAL!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:37 am

I don't think making it an option would forestall anything. Just look at the Hot Coffee scandal -- that minigame was not even accessible through the game normally; someone had to hack it to unearth it, and it still caused an uproar.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:07 am

After much consideration, I've decided not to get the game. Which really sucks and really depressed me, because I was really looking forward to it playing it. But now I can't on principle and all because companies are caving to extremists, vocal, shrill, minorities who wont even buy their games anyways.

Way to kill my excitement right it when it was at it's peak. Thanks for nothing Anita, I hope every SJW celebrating this 'victory' dies. I don't care how they die, but I hope they do. I know that makes me sound like a horrible human being, but I'm pissed off right now. Really, REALLY fucking pissed off.

If this SJW influenced nonsense Nintendo bends over for keeps up, I'm going to cash in my DS and Wii and use the money to buy games from people who actually care about artistic integrity and putting the customer first.

Are any of you guys still getting the game? Like the Dead Or Alive Xtreme 3 controversy, Playasia is offering an Japan Import of both versions if you're a purist, though you'll need a Jailbroken DS to play them. But I've personally decided not to put more money in Nintendo's pocket until they start putting the customer first.

Here's the link to the PlayAsia page.

http://www.play-asia.com/search/fire+em ... ter#fc=v:2

Still don't believe me that "Nobody Is going to take our games away?" If this isn't a wakeup call for anyone who was still on the fence after the DOAX3 controversy, then gaming truly IS doomed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4EJasKQf50

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:16 am

Just wait about a year till citra 3ds can run 3ds games at full speed then pirate it.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Ray in another topic wrote:The Soleil 'Gay Conversion' Controversy: How Misinformation Spreads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JeezdDR8Pk

Whoa. This is completely different from the impression I had of the character and that storyline.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:24 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Whoa. This is completely different from the impression I had of the character and that storyline.

I had a murky suspicion that something like this was lurking in the background. This doesn't surprise me.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:18 am

Repost from the censorship thread

I can't guarantee the validity of this, (it was on Gamespot), but apparently someone did manage to get in contact with Nintendo Of America.

'Has not been announced'
"No information that this will or will not happen"
Given the wording we have several options here.

1) Nintendo IS removing the petting minigame in addition to the supposedly 'homophobic' dialogue, but haven't officially announced it yet, and the Kotaku that broke the story was quoted out of context, or broke the story by mistake.
2) Nintendo hasn't censored the petting minigame , but the Kotaku article misinterpreted the words of the Nintendo representative who said certain things WOULD be removed for the American audience, to mean the company was taking the skinship minigame out.

Heres the link to the Kotaku article
http://kotaku.com/the-english-version-o ... 1755121353

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:16 pm

It sounds like a whole lot of nothing to me.

Also, I was interested to learn some background about Soleil's character (courtesy of Rose). Sounds like the U.S. version is replacing a shit setup in the Japanese version that U.S. audiences wouldn't understand (it relying heavily on class S relationships) with a bland substitute in the U.S. version. But nobody either for or against the change knew what it even meant, so we got a controversy about something that was never really there to begin with. You would think that, after the success of Yurikuma Arashi, that people would be paying more attention to this sort of thing, but I guess it didn't stick.

Sorry Ikuhara! Maybe you'll get it through our thick heads next time . . .
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:56 pm

Bags basically got it down pat, It's a combination of miscommunication and regional trope differences combined with an extra serving of bullshit (the class S thing) so the soleil thing isnt what I would consider censorship.
And Ikuhara tries, he really does but sadly change takes a while, and the Japanese are only just starting to go "hey wait gay people are a thing?"

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:01 pm

For the uninitiated, the two posters above me are not talking about the game's S-rank relationships, but the Japanese concept of the "class S" or romantic two-girl friendship relationship.
System Administrator

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:08 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:For the uninitiated, the two posters above me are not talking about the game's S-rank relationships, but the Japanese concept of the "class S" or romantic two-girl friendship relationship.

Yeah. Sorry, that probably wasn't immediately clear. These are relationships that look very much like lesbian relationships to outsiders, but the implicit assumption is that they'll "grow out of it" and eventually take an interest in men like "proper" young girls. This is why Soleil looks like a bisexual to us even though she isn't (and I can say that with confidence because most mainstream Japanese don't even recognize bisexuality as a thing).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:38 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:This is why Soleil looks like a bisexual to us even though she isn't (and I can say that with confidence because most mainstream Japanese don't even recognize bisexuality as a thing).

My own understanding of the situation is that the character is a bisexual heteroromantic being mistaken (out-of-universe) for a lesbian because all she seems to talk about is how much she likes girls (possibly a result of Fates's habit of writing characters excessively around a single quirk even more so than Awakenings did). There is also the opposite sin of assuming that a bisexual who ultimately pairs with a man must have been straight all along. Whether a "Class S ending" does that or not might come down to audience interpretation and baggage -- assuming what happens in Fates can even be described as a proper "Class S ending" given that, if it's anything like Awakenings, Soleil will continue to hit on girls even while being married to a guy, as opposed to "growing out" of it.

To me, she's a victim of bisexual erasure -- literally if Nintendo of America rewrites her as simply straight in the Western release to avoid the controversy. I feel that the "right" thing to do would have been to allow her both male and female romance options (even though not everyone who's bisexual is also biromantic, but that's a level of nuance too far for the current climate), which I assume to be well within NoA's technological power given the existence of a hack for Awakenings that adds bisexual romance options for the entire cast. I fully expect bisexual erasure.
System Administrator

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:22 pm

What little hope there was left has been lost.

http://nintendoeverything.com/removal-o ... confirmed/

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:21 am

^ Until now, there has been no information about this that wasn't brought via a third party. Kotaku is notorious for bringing rumours as news (frankly, why anyone would use them as a sourced for real news is beyond me...). Various sources contradict each other, too. It's better to await an official statement by Nintendo (on their own site!), or until someone has the game in hand and does a review of it before crying wolf.

On the other hand, the whole loud outcry about the petting game being possibly removed may have reached Nintendo, causing the removal in the first place (if Nintendo had not yet thought of it). Best way to ensure certain somewhat dodgy features are not removed is to shut up about them instead of drawing attention to them.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 am

At this point the cartridges have already been printed, shipped, and ready to sell. Regardless of whether the petting game has been removed or not (and let's be honest, it probably has) there's really nothing Nintendo can do at this point either way, short of recalling, scrapping and reprinting all 200,000+ units.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”