Star Wars

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Star Wars

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:22 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I just assumed that Episode VIII would come out in December because VII did, so this is no change to me. :lol:
Actually I thought it was coming out in December to begin with as well. I was shocked to see they had originally intended to release it in May.
[Redacted]

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:12 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:December is the worst time for me to go to the movies.

You can <cough> <cough> say <hack> <hack> <cough> that <sneeze> <snort> again.
Cough into your elbows, bastards.

Film was alright. Just alright. My only geeky query is: when the hell was Luke's light-saber retrieved after daddy chopped off his hand?
I like the green saber, damn it, use that one instead.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:59 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:You can <cough> <cough> say <hack> <hack> <cough> that <sneeze> <snort> again.

Film was alright. Just alright. My only geeky query is: when the hell was Luke's light-saber retrieved after daddy chopped off his hand?

It was probably discovered on the surface of Bespin, still clutched in his severed hand, which has since been used to secretly grow an entire Luke clone... which has now been conditioned into a Sith master, and is serving as Snoke's secret weapon.
Set phasers to thrill.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Film was alright. Just alright. My only geeky query is: when the hell was Luke's light-saber retrieved after daddy chopped off his hand?

It was in the ductwork of Cloud City, so it probably wasn't too hard to find.

As to the green saber, I imagine Luke's still using it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:15 pm

View Original PostChainsaw Owl wrote:It was probably discovered on the surface of Bespin, still clutched in his severed hand, which has since been used to secretly grow an entire Luke clone... which has now been conditioned into a Sith master, and is serving as Snoke's secret weapon.
I'ts cheesy as hell, but I'm actually liking this idea. If it happens there must be a Darth-Maul-fight tier final battle between good and evil Luke in Episode IX.
[Redacted]

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Bespins a Gas Giant. Just putting that out there.

Green Lightsaber is the best.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:46 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Bespins a Gas Giant. Just putting that out there.

Yes, but Luke's hand didn't fall into Bespin, it fell into the bowels of Cloud City. And like I said, Luke most likely still has his green lightsaber, so it's a moot point.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:45 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:You can <cough> <cough> say <hack> <hack> <cough> that <sneeze> <snort> again.

That wasn't exactly what I was talking about. I meant that it's hard because of the winter weather where I live (it can easily get in the -20s F) and there's a cattle work that has to be done all through the winter. I wonder if I can ask Lucasfilm for a copy of the shooting script?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:18 pm

X-wing fanboy, plus a crush on Poe Dameron.

Saw TFA 7 times in theaters, not complaining either and recently went batshit on Funko Pops for the films too.

It's like I'm 7 years old again.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:25 pm

View Original Postxtr00kvltcorex wrote:Saw TFA 7 times in theaters

:bigeyes: I'm not sure I've seen even the original trilogy that many times.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:53 pm

I couldn't even count how many times I've seen the OT. ^_^
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:58 am

Watching the OT is like breathing...it's just something that needs to be done every so many times.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:21 am

I actually just recently picked up the complete saga in a box set on Blu-ray. Marathoned the OT as soon as I got home, and then the prequels on my next day off (played a drinking game to the latter). Watching both trilogies in one sitting each definitely provided a more immersive feeling.

Just a few after thoughts:

- For all the remasters that Lucas has gone back and done, had nobody thought to fix Vader's eyes in ANH? There are moments where you can see the actor's actual eyes and eyebrows, and it's distracting once you notice it. Meh, I guess it adds to the campiness of the original. :P

- ESB is based a few years after ANH, and Han Solo is only just NOW intending to pay back his debt to Jabba (hence why he is trying to leave Echo Base in the first act). There's one line that mentions a run-in with a recent bounty hunter that re-motivated him to pay Jabba, but years, really? Solo, you scoundrel. The film gives the impression that the rebels have been on the run/in hiding since being pushed out of Yavin Base, so perhaps he never had the opportunity to get out to Tatooine. Another reason could be his feelings for Leia kept him around.

- "No! NOOOO" in RotJ remaster. Even though I literally laughed out loud when I heard it, I actually kinda like it as an addition. It gives a stronger impression that Vader was overcome by emotion when witnessing Palpatine destroying his son, and that Luke was successful in bringing his father back. Christian Haydensen's ghost on the other hand... ugh.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:45 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Watching the OT is like breathing...it's just something that needs to be done every so many times.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:55 pm

View Original Postxtr00kvltcorex wrote:X-wing fanboy

TFA managed to butcher the design with some split turbine on the engines that have no right to be there, pardon my autism but it simply looks wrong even by Star Wars standards.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:12 pm

I dug it, particularly Black One.

I'm no engineer but I reckon the split turbine can potentially prevent engine failure?

Not that the X-wings are the Falcon with all its problems.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:22 pm

Hell with the split engines, what pissed me off was the fact that other fighter designs were nowhere to be found. My favorite design of the OT was the B-Wing, with the A-wing a close second. And now these specialized, next gen fighters have been dumped in favor of an X-Wing retread? I'm fine with updates or new designs, but having only one design in the fleet is just lame.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:25 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Hell with the split engines, what pissed me off was the fact that other fighter designs were nowhere to be found. My favorite design of the OT was the B-Wing, with the A-wing a close second. And now these specialized, next gen fighters have been dumped in favor of an X-Wing retread? I'm fine with updates or new designs, but having only one design in the fleet is just lame.

Give the film's status of as a sequel/reboot, I think they wanted to use the most familiar items from the OT that they could. An X-Wing is universally known while only those who paid attention during the Battle of Endor will know the A-Wing and B-Wing. I'm sure we'll see those (and hopefully the Y-Wing) again in Ep. VIII.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:12 pm

I have to disagree with the addition of the "NO!," Sachi. The original, with just that look, that silence, and that decision were all Vader's moment. You didn't need to have the moment spelled out, it was there. You couldn't guess what was going on behind Vader's mask, but those looks, that dazed pondering of the moment (which makes sense, considering he looked badly winded and beaten after fighting Luke) and that just silent moment of resolute action when he goes after Palpatine (enhancing that confusion and "Whoa!" moment) is just what makes it.

That's what makes the prequels so terrible to me: Lucas spells everything out. Everything, it's all exposition. You watch ESB and ROTJ (which were directed by more experienced filmmakers), and you see how those moments WORK. They knew when things just needed to be action, when it was the visuals and the movement and expression of the characters that let us know their thoughts. They didn't need hamfisted words to explain everything happening to the audience. That's what made these movies feel more alive than the cartoonish Prequels (which made it very hard for me to care for any of the characters: they were lost in the special effects and the wordiness of everything).
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:33 pm

I agree that it wasn't necessary, but I don't think it was detrimental either.

When he was silent, his decision seemed more resolute and aware. However, with the added line, it seems more like an emotional slip that caused him to save Luke. I think I like the latter interpretation better, because it goes hand in hand with Anakin's portrayal in the prequels, and what Snoke says about Vader in TFA. He was trying his best to stay reserved while his son was tortured, but lost control of himself due to his overwhelming feelings for his family. An otherwise perfect career undone by one moment of weakness.

And again, I literally laughed out loud when I heard it. I think it's cheesy, but in an endearing way sort of. Much unlike the "NOOO" in Revenge of the Sith.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Film and Video”