Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Yup.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:51 pm

I'm utterly baffled then. If we browse in the same fashion and use the same browser all that's left is . . . I dunno, service provider, maybe? I can't imagine that's it, but what's left?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:57 pm

What's left is, I can make the mystery a non-issue by switching to the recommended routing method -- which I can test on the test instance because it doesn't require .htaccess to rewrite it at all, so there should be no service blips tonight as a result of my fiddling.

Thanks for your cooperation you two, because now I know I should stop avoiding the much more major restructuring that this rewrite project begged for from the start.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:24 am

My guess is that somewhere (in the viewtopic.php content) there is a link that is relative instead of absolute. If the URL the browser requests is /post/123/something/, and the content of that page there is a link like:

Code: Select all

<a href="foo.php">foo</a>

Since it's a relative URL, clicking on that link forces the browser to resolve the URL base. So the browser needs to look at the address bar and it sees: /post/123/something/, thus it requests: /post/123/something/foo.php

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:29 am

Seems I temporarily disabled /post/ links. I didn't think the controller was actually active. I have the PHP error log open and a bunch of requests going through the controller suddenly popped up (with nowhere to go because it's not wired up correctly). So for those of you who had that problem just now, sorry.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:47 am

I did just have the same error twice in a row, actually. mystery solved?
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:55 am

Oh, sorry, no, I was talking about something else just now. Ornette's conjecture looks to be on the right track, but I'm working on another problem right now (canonization of the /post/ and /thread/ URLs so that search engines don't split hits between them when they actually refer to the same thing).
System Administrator

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:09 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:What's left is, I can make the mystery a non-issue by switching to the recommended routing method -- which I can test on the test instance because it doesn't require .htaccess to rewrite it at all, so there should be no service blips tonight as a result of my fiddling.

^ This turned out not to be true, and regardless I've wound up working on other issues as well. Expect brief outages tonight.
System Administrator

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:23 am

I also used the unread posts button a lot. But in addition, I use a browser's back button a lot, too; a habit from the early days of the web. Sometimes sites break because of this, if they have code which assumes a certain sequence or remembers where I've been even though I backed out. In this case, just going back with the back button and repeating the operation always works correctly, which suggests that the forum code is seeing the starting conditions as different; something is remembered that enables the code to get it right the second time (refreshing fails, because that's done by the browser using the already incorrect URL).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:29 am

Some 301 redirects are live now (new as of earlier tonight), so I wonder if that will fix anything.
System Administrator

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:46 pm

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/monk/urlrewrite/event/listener.php on line 473: preg_match(): Unknown modifier '.'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/monk/urlrewrite/event/listener.php on line 473: preg_match(): Unknown modifier '.'

This appeared at the top of the page a minute ago.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Just fixed. I forgot to escape a slash in a regular expression, so it interpreted it as the end of the expression and thus incorrectly interpreted the "." after it as a modifier. I'm working on the search page today -- rewriting the links on it to canonical form (/thread/etc for topic links, /post/etc for post links).
System Administrator

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:50 am

For a second there on my iPhone 6 I received a "lost URL" warning when logging in, but trying to re-log in again worked fine. Maybe it was just something weird on my end or related to that aforementioned error.

The address bar read off something like UCP.php too (user control panel?)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:32 pm

I don't know if this is just a problem with me or what. But I came on here and saw several topics lit up indicating there was a new post, but then I clicked on them, and there was no new post. Or at least none of the topics were lit up to indicate there was a new post.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:42 pm

This might be a new(?) feature that I didn't read up on, but it seems like posts that you yourself make have a green line on the lefthand side of the post? At first I thought it was an overall "latest post" indicator but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Pretty handy feature if so, since the new forum layout isn't exactly the same as old EGF.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:04 pm

Green bar = logged on/active user
Red bar = logged out/not active
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:05 pm

red? I just see no bar at all for people who aren't logged in.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Huh. Certainly is a feature I haven't noticed before then. Thanks for clarifying!

I don't believe I've noticed red, myself.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:13 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Green bar = logged on/active user
Red bar = logged out/not active

I asked about this a while back, so that's what they mean eh? Good to know I guess, oh right, mines red because I checked the box to keep my online status to myself.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:19 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:red? I just see no bar at all for people who aren't logged in.
It may be an admin thing -- like I can see Tankred with a green bar, because he's not hidden to my eyes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”