Metal Gear Solid

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:11 am

After patch 1.06, you can get Quiet back as your buddy if you replay mission "Cloaked in silence" 7 times.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:51 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Tankred: They weren't: the helicopter Pequod flies is a kitbashed UH-60, after all (there is no such thing as a UH-66). They changed all the equipment in the game just enough that it's not similar to a real life item to say that it is a new product. I mean, look at the AD 114, the stand in for the 1911

I'm on about the USSR gunships and the MSF gunship Morpho flies in GZ, see here.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:11 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:The game companies are coy about this, but gun manufacturers are very clear: to use their products, you have to pay a royalty fee

Not necessarily.

In any case, they would have a hard time enforcing royalty claims for weapons built seventy years ago by multiple factories under government contract, using designs no longer covered by patents and openly cloned by numerous independent producers. If Colt could collect licensing fees on all the third party 1911s and AR-15s out there, it wouldn't be in Chapter 11 right now.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:50 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:I'm on about the USSR gunships and the MSF gunship Morpho flies in GZ, see here.

I know, I was referencing that EVERY vehicle in the game is kitbashed.

BobBQ: In the case of the AR platform, there might be a case, considering multiple companies produce AR rifles. The more specific the reference to the weapon, however, the more licensing plays into the issue. Kalashnikov, for instance, has gotten aggressive in policing its branding (not surprising, as they now have a vodka brand among other things), so actual AKs produced by Kalashnikov and modeled in games can be subject to litigation if they discover its use. Fortunately, there are hundreds of off-brands, some of which were produced by companies that don't exist anymore, so any of them can be utilized as a model and one can get away with it.

The issue with weapon licensing in games isn't age, however, it's the specific weapon used. Colt cannot license for a generic 1911 because it is a commonplace handgun with a basic set of features and outlines. If you use a Kimber 1911 (which is a specific brand and type of 1911), then you will have to pay Kimber for the use of that weapon.

Also, glad to hear about the 1.06 update: after investing all that frigging time and GMP into a character, it's nice to know you can get them back.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:36 pm

These new research items are expensive as hell.

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:The more specific the reference to the weapon, however, the more licensing plays into the issue. Kalashnikov, for instance, has gotten aggressive in policing its branding (not surprising, as they now have a vodka brand among other things), so actual AKs produced by Kalashnikov and modeled in games can be subject to litigation if they discover its use.

Luckily for our MGS hypothetical, Kalashnikov Concern did not exist in 1984 and its quixotic attempts to assert ownership of a globally proliferated design are irrelevant. A Soviet infantryman in Afghanistan was issued an AK or RPK made by one of three factories, distinguished by a very small logo stamping that could easily be changed or omitted. If KC tried to sue Konami over a virtual model of a period correct AK-74 lacking the Izhmash arrow-in-triangle, they would be laughed out of court.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:13 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:After patch 1.06, you can get Quiet back as your buddy if you replay mission "Cloaked in silence" 7 times.

That is comforting, because despite using the butterfly exploit, I lost her.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:53 pm

I got Questioning Huey 3 tape when i updated. Not sure why i didn't already have it.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Yeah, they are, BobBQ! Spend all that money getting...I don't know, the Grand Mother of All Hate Butterflies, and it's money that's gone. For good. Now, it's not.

As for Kalashnikov, remember that we're talking about a Russian company with ties to the Russian government: it might be dumb that they're trying to enforce brand names on a weapon as prolific as the AK pattern rifle, but don't put it past them to attempt it. Russian companies have been acting screwy as of late, especially ones with government contracting and ties.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:03 pm

Kojima is a sneaky, sneaky man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3bIz0Hpw-E

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:51 pm

Anyone else noticed a drastic increase in loading time when selecting development after the new patch? Playing on PS4.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Probably due to the new online-only development items.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:13 pm

Avoiding thread lately due-to Quiet Reunion stuff (even if it's nothing special) and to focus on fic-writing.

But holy shit, awesome:

~Take care of yourself, I need you~

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Nice! I hope they can finish it without getting a cease and desist order. And I hope they can find someone worthy enough to voice Liquid Snake! I think he had the best voice actor in the series, it would nearly make this remake unplayable for me if they screwed it up.
[Redacted]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:56 am

I was under the impression it's meant to be screenshots only. If fan MG1 got shitcanned, that doesn't stand a chance either! -o-;

Nothing makes me happier than having Shinkawa Venom/Quiet as my lock screen and iDroid wallpaper fun for my new iPhone:

SPOILER: Show

Anywho! A new-ish friend and I on FF.net were talking about how our take on
A Quiet Exit vs keeping Butterfly Emblem
in-game would be; here's my take. Do share your own for fun! :nyao:

As an aside, I really thought the in-game Quiet bond within the ACC was going to end up with her sitting right next to you (maybe even snuggles? :3 ) instead of butt wiggling. But no room for Quiets, only iDroid stuff and guns!

Apologies in advance that this is sappy as hell:

If Butterfly Emblem's used, it eventually unlock a cut scene (something after Truth ending) of Venom and Quiet either at her cell or in the ACC on a mission together. He tells her that she doesn't have to stay in there anymore (he and Ocelot will deal with Miller's complaints), because she's a Diamond Dog like them; she deserves respect. He makes a remark about how "You stayed with us even though I'm not really--" She'd just shake her head, cutting him off; she's loyal to him regardless of the truth. Just like the rest of the Diamond Dogs. Romancing it up take: Maybe Venom offers her to move into his room, she gently hugs him in thanks.

If A Quiet Exit happens: After you complete a few more side ops/get Truth ending/etc, a new main mission secretly unlocks itself to reunite with Quiet. They happen to run into each other while Venom's out on another mission (kind of like how Cloaked in Silence interrupts heading for Huey) in Afghanistan. She was passed out in a cave, having wandered around, exhausted but otherwise healthy. Turns out she was searching for a private place where the parasites can enter hibernation mode. Venom takes her aboard the ACC back to Diamond Dogs to see what Code Talker can do for her, if anything, where Code Talker relays that information of what she was up to. For once, Miller doesn't complain--if anything he seems grateful towards Quiet (saving Venom's life and all) while Ocelot's just concerned for her.

Because I can't into science, a means to end the hibernation without harming Quiet is found; though she obviously chooses to continue her silence. Venom doesn't care; he's just beyond thankful she's safe and alive. He hugs her close, kissing her temple too, much to the surprise of everybody else around them--Quiet almost immediately reciprocates the hug while gently humming. Buddy back forever!

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:50 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Do share your own for fun! :nyao:

If the Butterfly Emblem is used:
A scene happens after the Truth ending where Quiet gets really excited when she sees a beautiful butterfly in Africa. She tries to get Venom's attention so he can see it too before it flies off, but he's facing away from her. She wants him to see it so badly that she slips up and starts speaking in Navajo while pointing at it. Having never heard her speak before, Venom reflexively whirls around and readies his pistol. But he only sees Quiet behind him with a stunned look on her face, pointing at something. He hastily holsters his weapon and says, "Did you just..."

Quiet interrupts him by smiling and nodding, maybe blushing slightly at the same time, then she grins and points at the butterfly again. Venom sees it this time, and the two of them crouch side by side and watch it for a moment while Quiet's theme plays in the background. After it flies off, the two look at each other and Venom asks, "That language, can you teach it to me?"

Quiet tilts her head in thought, then grins and raises one finger above her head in a 'Eureka!' gesture. The scene then cuts back to Mother Base, where Code Talker is teaching Venom the Navajo language. Quiet and Code Talker exchange funny looks when Venom stumbles with the words.

The scene then cuts to the ACC at night some time later, where Venom and Quiet are sitting next to each other and conversing in Navajo. Quiet looks at the emblem on Venom's uniform, then peels the butterfly off and throws it out of the helicopter. Seeing the surprised look on his face, she gets nose-to-nose with him and says, "You don't need that anymore. We already have it in our hearts."

Rewards: The player no longer has to use the Butterfly Emblem to prevent Quiet from leaving. Quiet and Venom will now talk to each other in Navajo both in the field and in the ACC. Quiet will now follow Venom around in the field and at Mother Base, and will ride shotgun in vehicles. In a tank or APC she will stick her head out of the hatch and use the tank/APC as a mobile sniping point. Quiet talking now puts the MB soldiers at ease, and she is no longer confined to a cell. Some of them learn Navajo in order to speak to her. Quiet also gains a new weapon, a suppressed 20mm anti-materiel rifle called The Moth. A new Loose Hair head option is available for Quiet.

If Mission 45 happens:
Venom is flying over the desert of Afghanistan a week later with his head hung low, when all of a sudden he spots what looks like a big pile of leathery burnt bacon lying on a salt flat. He orders Pequod to land so he can investigate. As he draws closer to the object, he sees that it is the skinless, burnt body of a woman. He runs over to it and examines the face, and recognizes Quiet's facial features even without the skin. She isn't moving. He gets on the radio and starts screaming for a medical chopper dispatch.

"She's dead, Boss. Let her go." Miller replies coldly.
"Hold on now, you never know with her. There's a slim chance she might still be alive." Ocelot counters. The two of them get into a vicious argument.
"SHUT UP AND GET ME THAT DAMN CHOPPER!" Venom shouts into the radio.

Five minutes later the medical chopper arrives, and Code Talker is on it. Venom scoops Quiet up in his arms and gently transfers her to the chopper, then gets inside himself. He motions for Pequod to return to base, then rides back with Quiet and Code Talker in the medical chopper.

Back at the Quarantine Platform, Venom paces nervously as Code Talker puts surgical tweezers down Quiet's throat and removes a pair of dehydrated vocal cord parasites. He then explains that Quiet went to the salt flat to kill the parasites in her throat by swallowing the salt. Once dehydrated, the parasites detach from the host and are easily removable, but the amount of salt required is lethal to most humans. He goes on to explain that Quiet's skin parasites have been keeping her barely alive via photosynthesis, and she is in a state of suspended animation. This has weakened the skin parasites so much that they are currently transparent, revealing Quiet's true appearance. Code Talker finishes by saying that if Venom hadn't found her, she would have died within the next 48 hours.

After purging the salt from Quiet's body, Code Talker begins spraying her with fresh water. After ten minutes of this, the skin parasites slowly become opaque and skin-like, and Quiet awakens. But she is still very weak, and has burns on her parasite-skin where she was laying on the salt. Venom stands over her and begins crying. She smiles weakly at him and says, "Kept you waiting, huh?" in English.
"Yeah, you sure did." Venom replies tearfully. "Why did you do something so dangerous without our help? You almost died."
Quiet tears up. "I knew that if you wanted me back, you'd find me before that happened."
The two of them kiss for the first time. Miller, who had been watching from a catwalk, runs to the nearest trash can and vomits uncontrollably. Ocelot gives Miller a dirty look. "Fuck you, Miller. Seriously, fuck you."

"She'll be fully healed in three days. Until then she needs to be kept in sickbay." Code Talker explains.
"Thank you." Venom replies, then turns to Miller. "Once she recovers, we are NOT locking her up again. She's one of us now and forever."
"Bullshit! Think of the chaos that will ensue when the men realize that thing is on the loose! As soon as she recovers we are putting her right back in-" Miller replies angrily.
Venom cuts him off. "I've been meaning to ask you this for a while: Who the fuck do you think is in charge of this organization!? When did I die and make you boss!? She is NOT being locked up like an animal again!"
Miller opens his mouth to issue a rebuttal, but Venom interrupts him. "What? Got something to say? You gonna try to give me an order again? Do it, I will dishonorably discharge your ass. I'm just pissed off enough to do that right now. So go right ahead and do it. With all your paranoid fearmongering I'm sure you'll be able to find a steady job in the Republican party."
Miller roars and storms out of the room without saying another word.
Ocelot gives Venom a thumbs up. "Boss... nice!"

Rewards: Quiet returns as a buddy. Quiet and Venom will now talk to each other in English both in the field and in the ACC. Quiet will now follow Venom around in the field and at Mother Base, and will ride shotgun in vehicles. In a tank or APC she will stick her head out of the hatch and use the tank/APC as a mobile sniping point. Quiet's vocal cord parasites being removed puts the MB soldiers at ease, and she is no longer confined to a cell. Quiet also gains a new weapon, a suppressed 20mm anti-materiel rifle called The Moth. A new Loose Hair head option is available for Quiet.
[Redacted]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Metal Gear Solid

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Neat ideas. Your take on Kaz is pretty unhinged :lol:

Have you all watched this second The Codec interview with Stefanie Joosten? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3S6bwvG38U Has a lot of interesting info and she confirms the only "cut" content in TPP was the unfinished Mission 51.

I'm so happy that after a few months and real life keeping me busy, it's finally finished! :mwahaha: Mind the game spoilers.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11654866/1/Elegia

Or

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5362280

Please enjoy it! :kimochi:

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:07 pm

(Stands on the blue ball and claps.)

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Kojima has on this day, escaped the hell that is konami and formed a new studio, and is now talking with sony:
http://nichegamer.com/2015/12/hideo-kojima-officially-left-konami-today-forms-a-new-studio-and-is-in-talks-with-sony/
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:41 pm

Well, I wish him good luck in whatever he decides to do next.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:07 pm

Cool. Hopefully we'll see a new IP from him soon.
[Redacted]

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”