[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:18 pm

I don't always sign online petitions. When I do, it's to help stop two women from being gang raped.

Jesus Christ on a cracker.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:27 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I swear to God I'm not making this shit up.

You aren't making it up, but it sounds like that story's bogus.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:37 pm

When in doubt, I use Snopes to check.

--------
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-34409635

Leopard has a pot in his head. :lol:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34374121?post_id=894750790608969_894750787275636

"US man sets petrol pump alight over spider."

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:46 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Two innocent women in India sentenced to be Gang Raped and paraded around naked for the crimes of their brother.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/villagers-deny-indian-sisters-rape-punishment-claims-10480865.html
It took me a while to understand what was going on here, because it seemed exceedingly bizarre that the sisters of the man are the ones being punished. For the stereotype of "patriarchal misogyny" is that the woman who elopes or is raped is punished, not the man. And yet here it's the other way around. Which is more progressive & feminist, if you think about it.

Also why is Gang Rape capitalized?
View Original PostRay wrote:I thought India was supposed to be forward thinking!
What, the whole country? Certainly, the Indian government (viz. Honorary Britannians) continues to serve the memes introduced by their imperial forefathers, but the countless unconverted Indian peoples certainly aren't so colonialized!

Not to mention India is a massive country, whose populations has been growing at a ridiculous rate. These sorts of ancient cultures weren't destroyed by the British after they united the country, nor by the British successor government. And for every one that survived, as the population doubles or triples, each one of these Aryan communities doubles or triples! (obvious idealization is obvious)

Edit: I forgot to point out that the bloody story Ray links to considers it dubious! I was going to add that, honest! But even what Bagheera linked doesn't definitively disprove it, so...
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Depending on where it's happening in India, it could actually be factual: elders in a lot of the outlying villages have ridiculous amounts of power, and tend to apply the law how they feel it should be applied. Combined with a lot of misogyny that's rife throughout the rural area (and definitely in the urban areas), and you have a very bad mixture.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:43 pm

I could swear I heard about a different, similar case before.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:21 pm

Article has now been revised to say they're planning to use GPR on the tomb, which makes this more hype than actual news. :huh:

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby r1cepurin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:08 pm

Peeple app planning to launch this November

I'm sorry, but this is a horrible idea. I don't care if anyone tells me I'm paranoid or something, this actually scares me because something like this means that our privacy and individuality can be just taken away from us as a species if this app catches on. It's okay for this sort of thing to be put out for say, a restaurant such as what Yelp does, but these are fucking people. People becoming these products you just rate and comment on is just insane.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:21 pm

View Original Postr1cepurin wrote:I'm sorry, but this is a horrible idea. I don't care if anyone tells me I'm paranoid or something, this actually scares me because something like this means that our privacy and individuality can be just taken away from us as a species if this app catches on. It's okay for this sort of thing to be put out for say, a restaurant such as what Yelp does, but these are fucking people. People becoming these products you just rate and comment on is just insane.

I was under the impression that this product already existed, and that it was called Facebook. :coffee:

Also, keep in mind that a person cannot be negatively reviewed unless they have an account; while an account can be created on somebody else's behalf, the app will need to have a feature built in that allows people to remove these profiles if they do not wish for one to exist. Combine all that with libel and existing privacy laws, and this app will likely be relatively harmless.

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby r1cepurin » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:00 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I was under the impression that this product already existed, and that it was called Facebook. :coffee:

Also, keep in mind that a person cannot be negatively reviewed unless they have an account; while an account can be created on somebody else's behalf, the app will need to have a feature built in that allows people to remove these profiles if they do not wish for one to exist. Combine all that with libel and existing privacy laws, and this app will likely be relatively harmless.

Facebook is different because it doesn't have a distinct rating system as this does.

And besides that, I clearly stated that these will only be valid fears if the app catches on. On the other hand, personal privacy has been pressing for awhile. I mean personally, I'm not as nervous about it as other people could be, but it's scary for anyone who may use it for malicious reasons, since this is literally Yelp for humans. This is sort of why I don't use my real name or info on my facebook as opposed to what is encouraged.

What I was also trying to get at is that, people are people. They are not products, which is an idea that making an app like this helps erase.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:35 am

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:36 am

OnlyinFlorida

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

That... seems excessive... B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:08 am

"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:09 am

Well, since the 'no politics' tag hasn't been officially reinstated...

Not for a full-on ground war with ISIS and the inevitable 'peaceful occupation' that will follow it doesn't. Russia has ties to Syria and getting involved in this as an ally of the NATO usual complicates matters with regards to the Ukraine situation and maintaining those trade sanctions.

And why not them? The US certainly isn't going to help any time soon because both sides in that fight are bad news and there's no way Obama wants to undermine his legacy of ending the Bush wars by entering another one in the same region on the way out the door.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:33 am

In trying to set the hawks loose, he seems to have forgotten one thing: Afghanistan.

---------
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/10/gigabytes-of-user-data-from-hack-of-patreon-donations-site-dumped-online
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/10/highly-personal-data-for-15-million-t-mobile-applicants-stolen-by-hackers/

I bet my left lung they'll use the databases for which to bilk more money from the potential would-be victims, then go out and burn the cash in a one-month orgy in Thailand or the roulette in Monte Carlo.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:07 pm

I'm fairly certain this will be the start of Cold War Part II

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:50 pm

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:45 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Take your kids to see Nick Land!
T O P K E K

NO DAD I DON'T WANNA RIDE THE MACHINIC DESIRE SCHIZOCOASTER

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:51 pm

Will there be an Avatar/Legend of Korra themed land?

If not then I'll pass.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:21 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11906357/Bus-driver-and-motorist-involved-in-bizarre-hour-long-stand-off.html (beware autoplay video)
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”