[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:13 pm

View Original PostMJL wrote:Not really a fan but I'm familiar with many of his projects. The EP he did with the Dillinger Escape Plan and that one crazy Naked City track (this one) are probably my favourite (music) recordings featuring him. Faith No More I've been listening to every once in a while throughout the years. They're not a favourite of mine by any means but they have some great songs. Also went to see them on their original reunion tour in 2009, they were great. Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk and Fantomas I've all given a listen but they aren't really my thing.

The one he did with Dillinger Escape Plan is amazing. Mr. Bungle is my favorite project of his, with this song being one of my favorites.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:43 pm

View Original PostMJL wrote:This one's such as good album.

Glad you like it, man. I'm pretty sure I've been listening to it almost everyday, late at night - and my favourite tracks keep cycling. The first three minutes of 'Jester in Agony' are so stark and pure; the synths sound like the voice of god (I lose interest in it however when he starts layering all that different percussion over the top towards the end). And to me, 'Poinsettia Pills' sounds like it could almost be a grindcore song, just with the way it's composed. It really is Fernow's magnum opus as Prurient as far as I'm concerned.

And on the topic of Fernow; I've been listening to a shit ton of Vatican Shadow (Remember Your Black Day is fucking incredible, even though it's a little uneven with its tracklisting) and Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement. The latter project put me on to Demdike Stare as well which has the same kind of thing going on, albeit more prolifically.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:25 am

Wanted to post that I found out that every track of the Yoko Kanno's Tanasonic 7/7/09 Concert bootleg was easily streamable, so I listened to everything on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Lot of thoughts are running for my head in talking about it, so I'll just say "Magical" and leave it at that.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:02 am

Well, they did it. They finally fucking did it. They went full Wire/Joy Division, and I like it. I like it a lot.
Warren Peace, #643919

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:36 am

I need to go back to listening to my playlist again. I listen to a lot of indie because I'm into weirdo stuff, but still, gotta get back to it. Also, excited because I discovered 2 Door Cinema Club and they're really great!

However, one indie band I would NEVER listen to ever again is They Might Be Giants. I still am good enough to suggest them to people, but that band ruined my teenage years and thus my entire social life in high school. Unless if someone were to ask, I don't wanna disclose anything.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:55 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Well, they did it. They finally fucking did it. They went full Wire/Joy Division, and I like it. I like it a lot.

This is pretty dope. Never got into Ceremony before because I'm shit at getting into new bands. Gotta get myself to check out the rest of the record.

------------------------------------------
About six years late on this one, but I've been listening to the hell out of The Yeah Yeah Yeahs' It's Blitz recently after hearing "Heads Will Roll" at a bar. "Hysteric" and "Soft Shock" are soooo beautiful. Really a great pop album.
------------------
Also been revisiting At the Drive-In's Relationship of Command, which only seems to be getting better as the years go on though "One Armed Scissor" still is a bit overpraised. That scream at the end of "Invalid Litter Department" is killer.
-------------------
And since I know there are a few Cold Cave fans on here; check out thing he wrote up for Noisey explaining the songs on Full Cold Moon

Dude is real;

"I like different synth-based music, but a lot of it is just so weak or sexless and I’m a brute"
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Ari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ari » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:00 pm

[url]http://youtu.be/Abby2S5OSXM[/url]

I've been listening to a lot of Brahms lately. His music is just so consistently great[/url]

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:30 am

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:Also been revisiting At the Drive-In's Relationship of Command, which only seems to be getting better as the years go on though "One Armed Scissor" still is a bit overpraised. That scream at the end of "Invalid Litter Department" is killer.

When I was still in high school I remember my brother showing me some of their songs, with one armed scissor being the only one I liked and actually still remember. I believe they were formed in El Paso, TX. Which is only a half hour drive from where I live.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:34 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:This is pretty dope. Never got into Ceremony before because I'm shit at getting into new bands. Gotta get myself to check out the rest of the record.

They've certainly come a long way since I first heard them, although 'Dead Moon California' continues to be my favourite Ceremony song by far. 'The Separation' from the new record sounds so much like Joy Division that it's uncanny, and not in any kind of bad way either - like someone dug up an old B-side or rarity and it's an instant gem/classic.

Also, Joy, I've been meaning to ask you; I'm wanting to check out Fucked Up. What's the best release to start with in your opinion?

Wes wrote:I was trying to decide what to do after I had failed to become “the next Interpol” as the label I was on had mentioned.

This line fucking kills me. Wes is a cool guy.

:lol:
Warren Peace, #643919

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:11 pm

I think if anyone has them, we should post our last.fms

this is mine http://www.last.fm/user/PeanuttyFashion, but it's slightly outdated. I still listen to everything that's in the top 6 listed, everything else I may or may not.

And yes, I unironically listen to Neutral Milk Hotel.

EDIT: what the heck my thing got deleted....
Last edited by r1cepurin on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:48 pm

Record company execs, man.

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Also, Joy, I've been meaning to ask you; I'm wanting to check out Fucked Up. What's the best release to start with in your opinion?

David Comes to Life for sure. One of my roommates back around the time the album was about to be released was a true blue Fucked Up devotee(his name was actually David so imagine how happy he had to be when he learned of the albums title!); had all their obscure releases on vinyl, met the band, had a Fucked Up tattoo, etc. but I was never much into them and when he'd put their stuff on I'd kinda zone out; I wasn't much into Pink Eyes' vocals and at the time my music taste was much more chilll. Luckily though I heard the lead single "The Other Shoe" on Sirius while driving my father's minivan and proceeded to download the album and inform my friend that I was finally going to willingly listen to Fucked Up. I don't think I was super into it the first couple times I listened to it because I was doing other things simultaneously(multi tasking doesn't exist) like playing Halo or something(I think my first impression was that a lot of the songs sounded the same, which isn't the case at all), but when I just put on my headphones and let it sink in it blew my mind. Basically I would pay the $20 for the vinyl even if it only came with tracks 2-5(1 is an instrumental intro), which isn't to say the other 14 aren't wonderful as well. I like to say that if I was forced to fight somebody in MvC 2 or something I'd want "Turn the Season" to be my entrance song, which is totally corny but true.

I'd recommend tracks on the album, but I'd probably end up linking to 12 different songs, so just listen to the whole thing through. I'd also attempt to describe the concept of the album, but it's a bit weird and Kafkaesque so I won't, but it involves a guy named David who works at a light bulb factory. Then if you like it check out The Chemistry of Common Life and then Glass Boys, though I think DCTL is their masterpiece and probably the best thing anyone's released in the last ten years. The album cover slays, too.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Awesome. Once I get back to proper internet (only moved into the new place a few days ago so I'm just tethering data off my phone for the time being whilst between broadbands) I'll download it and give it a listen.
Warren Peace, #643919

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:06 am

View Original Postr1cepurin wrote:And yes, I unironically listen to Neutral Milk Hotel.

And so you should.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:05 pm

New CHVRCHES record due at the end of September, and they've released a new track; :heart: Leave a Trace
The first few seconds of the song seriously sound like they belong on one of Depeche Mode's 90s records, and so I'm very excited. Though I don't think this song is quite as good as some of the tracks they dropped before their first LP("The Mother We Share", "Recover") I'm pretty happy for the album announcement anyways, since The Bones of What You Believe is one of my favorite pop/electronic records of recent years, and it's not too often that it only takes a band two years to release something new.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:33 pm

Someone listen to mothy's music and read his books (or at least summaries of them) so i can have someone to talk to about what the hell he's doing next with the story.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:22 pm

I know I'm the only one who cares (and I don't mind it that way), but I am actually really happy

so I don't wanna go into too much detail, but I used to listen to this band called they might be giants (basically for those of you who don't know, they're the Particle Man guys and they wrote the theme to Malcolm in the Middle). I was unhealthily obsessed with them in my teenage years to put it shortly, but I got back into them. They make me feel a lot happier than ever. My emotions go through the roof. I haven't been able to listen to them in so long, 3 years just about

Logoguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Logoguy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:54 am

View Original Postr1cepurin wrote:I used to listen to this band called they might be giants (basically for those of you who don't know, they're the Particle Man guys and they wrote the theme to Malcolm in the Middle).

Oh yeah I remember Particle Man; first heard the song in this like 10+ years ago.
"The world is sick because our symbols are sick... and the purest of us are its victims." -King Lear

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:15 pm

View Original PostLogoguy wrote:Oh yeah I remember Particle Man; first heard the song in this like 10+ years ago.

Oh, that surprised me. I was assuming it would be the Tiny Toons thing, and I figured this was really old because El-Cid is like, a way better animator now.

Speaking of which, I got so happy and recollected the entire tmbg discography from my old zips. Long Tall Weekend is god-tier album, so is Lincoln.

I also need to revisit Blur. I know they sorta cater to the fangirl crowd but their music is really nice. I listen to them for their wackier stuff.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:19 pm

They Might Be Giants did lots of fun stuff with the Homestar Runner brothers back in the day!

Favorite California-based band of mine will be playing in NYC for the first time in 3 years soon. Wanted to spread the word for anybody in the area that's interested: http://incendioband.com/shows/
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:31 pm

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A# ∞

Desolate. Stark. Apocalyptic.

I like it.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”