How seriously do you take shipping?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:06 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Oh? do you have evidence to support your claim?

Well I had to take a uni class in Analytical Metaphysics of Art and Fiction in order not to flunk sometime ago and I remember the professor said that everyone does shipping- like everyone does music. Show me a person that doesn't like music (w/e genre) and that will be a person that doesn't like shipping...or something along those lines, it was sometime ago and I might have been asleep in there, so yep.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:31 pm

That......doesn't seem to be very much to go on
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:15 pm

Shipping is very important to the retainment of the infrastructure of the international community; for this reason, I take it quite seriously.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:27 pm

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:I remember the professor said that everyone does shipping
It's definitely true that courtship takes up a disproportionate fraction of literature, popular song and drama; and I do prefer the works that manage to eschew it.

Having dropped entirely the plausible sentimental slow romance hinted in episode 6, NGE-TV managed to do awkward and fruitless age-appropriate experimentation instead, which is even rarer than simply ignoring the subject.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:28 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It's definitely true that courtship takes up a disproportionate fraction of literature, popular song and drama; and I do prefer the works that manage to eschew it.

So wait, you're in favor of eclipsing courtship, or eclipsign the particular kind of courtship that is more inclined to cause "shipping wars"? Cause if it's the first, yeah that won't happen. (and now that I think about it, it's not gonna happen if it's the second, too)
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Relationship shenanigans aren't all that common at 13-14.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:57 pm

I don't really care about shipping. Let the others take care of that, I prefer to do the handling. :naughty:
[Redacted]

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:02 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:I don't really care about shipping. Let the others take care of that, I prefer to do the handling. :naughty:

This guy. He gets it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:49 am

I'm not wholly immune to shipping tendencies. Not sure I really take shipping in and of itself very seriously, though. If I'm exploring relationship dynamics within the context of a specific narrative, that's a different matter.

The charm of pairings involving characters in their early teens forever eludes me. This might be because I couldn't relate to the concept of being interested in relationships until I was eighteen. But, I dunno, I just don't get it overall. Teenagers are little screw-ups whose brains aren't even fully developed. Being one sucks. Why would anyone want to see love blossom in that kind of emotional shit hole? (What are the odds, even?) Not to mention, zealously wanting to see two really young people paired off just feels so... grotesquely sub-modern. "Hurry: now that your gonads are functional, find a mate and reproduce! You never know when you'll get sick/injured and die!" Yes, I'm aware some people actually age them up in order to make the pairing work, but this probably isn't true in the vast majority of cases.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:55 am

yeah, but maybe "pre-modern" instead of "sub-modern." Keep in mind that part of the attraction of EVA is the blending of intellect and man's baser nature. Saying, "shipping these children is brutish and a little sick," might not be entirely wrong, but we see these children go through far worse and do far worse to each other sometimes.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, sort of. Personally, I'm not interested in seeing a twist in the plot (or a continuation) where any of the children take on an "official" girlfriend or boyfriend. I agree with Mr. Tines about the "experimentation" being more interesting.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:06 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The charm of pairings involving characters in their early teens forever eludes me. This might be because I couldn't relate to the concept of being interested in relationships until I was eighteen.

Quite likely. Most people start dating in that timeframe, have a first crush, first kiss, etc. It's all rather nostalgic really.

For what it's worth two of my friends from school are now married to and raising children with the same girls they dated back before they were old enough to drive. That sort of thing really does happen. And no, they aren't a bunch of redneck farm kids... all involved have at least an associates degree and all lean to the left politically, and no, nobody was forced into it by an unexpected pregnancy.

"Hurry: now that your gonads are functional, find a mate and reproduce! You never know when you'll get sick/injured and die!"

Given the state of the world and how dangerous their lives are, is that really such an unreasonable view for pilots anyway?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:24 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Given the state of the world and how dangerous their lives are, is that really such an unreasonable view for pilots anyway?

Not just unreasonable -- it's an outright TERRIBLE idea. Have 2/3 of your piloting force burdened with pregnancy? Have any of these "children" burdened with children of their own? :cringe:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Asuka WOULDN'T HAVE ANY OF IT

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:45 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Not just unreasonable -- it's an outright TERRIBLE idea. Have 2/3 of your piloting force burdened with pregnancy? Have any of these "children" burdened with children of their own? :cringe:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:48 pm

It's never been clear to me why pregnancy would matter worth a damn when piloting anyway.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:07 pm

^
Maybe weird soul contamination if the baby were to die? Also if the baby were to die it would probably affect the parents synch ratio.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:22 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^
Maybe weird soul contamination if the baby were to die? Also if the baby were to die it would probably affect the parents synch ratio.

There's the general physical and psychological distractions inherent in pregnancy, which would not be desirable in someone who needs to be available for Eva piloting at any time. Putting two underaged lives in danger rather than one would probably not be good for Nerv's ailing PR, either. At least the pilots are borderline adults, but risking the unborn on the battlefield won't look good to a lot of people... And presumably the embryo would have its own soul (either from the outset or eventually). Taking a second soul into the plug with you -- one occupying a helpless, noncommunicable embryo -- seems like a really bad idea. Could easily wreck havoc with your sync rate -- it's noise in the system, after all. If the embryo actually managed to co-sync with the Eva, odds are it wouldn't survive; the pilots routinely need to be hospitalized due to nervous system strain, after all.

Any which way, totally lost on why NemZ thinks Eva pilots being in a hurry to find a mate and reproduce might not be "an unreasonable view".
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:26 pm

One might invoke Eros/Thanatos, if there were actually any deaths; but apart from that I don't see it myself, either.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:31 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Not just unreasonable -- it's an outright TERRIBLE idea. Have 2/3 of your piloting force burdened with pregnancy? Have any of these "children" burdened with children of their own? :cringe:

My point is it's not unreasonable for the pilots to possibly rush things given their very tenuous situation and high-stakes lives (by which I mean fucking, not that they'd actually want kids). Of course that doesn't mean NERV would hesitate to intercede if it becomes a problem, and surely such a discussion was already worked out before Asuka's living arrangements were made permanent. With Rei that doesn't seem to be an issue regardless.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:39 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:My point is it's not unreasonable for the pilots to possibly rush things given their very tenuous situation and high-stakes lives (by which I mean fucking, not that they'd actually want kids). Of course that doesn't mean NERV would hesitate to intercede if it becomes a problem, and surely such a discussion was already worked out before Asuka's living arrangements were made permanent. With Rei that doesn't seem to be an issue regardless.

Yeah. This happens all the time in high-stress environments in real life (it's why people tend to have kids much earlier in developing countries, even during times of heavy strife), so there's no reason it wouldn't happen with the pilots as well.

As to two souls interfering with sync somehow -- in every case we see in the show involving multiple individuals in the entry plug the effect on sync was nil to a net positive, so I don't see the issue (and that assumes the fetus gets a soul at conception or whenever; if it doesn't get one until it's born this is a total non-issue).

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:40 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:My point is it's not unreasonable for the pilots to possibly rush things given their very tenuous situation and high-stakes lives.

That would be an interesting tract from which to approach matters, but, from what I've gathered, most shipping chooses to ignore their actual situation as much as possible! Cf.: the extraordinary popularity of the lighter and fluffier alternate reality as a setting for shipping shenanigans.

Mere fucking is also not quite the same thing as a OTP, if I understand correctly.
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”